PDA

View Full Version : Summoner/Monk help

ironexe
2014-06-30, 06:47 AM
So, I've got an idea for a Synthesist Summoner/ Martial Artist Monk character. I figured I'd fluff the Eidolon as a Ki construct. I know it's not a great build, or even probably very good, but I think it looks like it would be fun to play and that's what's most important.

Anyone have any ideas that would make it more effective besides "don't be a monk"?

Here's the build to level 15. This is all without items of any kind.

Synthesist 7 Martial Artist 8
Human +2 Wis
Bonus Feat
Silver Tongue

Level 1
Str 7
Dex 7
Con 14
Int 14
Wis 17
Cha 16

Level 15
Str 7
Dex 7
Con 14
Wis 22
Int 14
Cha 16

stats with Eidolon summoned
Str 19
Dex 19
Con 14
Wis 22
Int 14
Cha 16

AC and Saves without Eidolon
AC: 16
For 10
Ref 6
Wil 17

AC and saves with Eidolon Summoned
AC: 30
Fort +10
Ref +11
Will +17

BAB: +11/+6/+1
BAB Eidolon: +12/+7/+2
Attack: +9/+4/-1
Eidolon Attack: +16/+11/+6
Flurry: +9/+9/+4/+4/-1
Eidolon Flurry: +18/+18/+13/+13/+8

Damage
Unarmed Strike 1d10-2 (1d4 bleed)

Eidolon Damage
Unarmed Strike 1d10-2 (1d4 bleed)
Bite 3d8+6+1d6+1d6 (1d4 bleed)

Evolutions 12
Pounce 1
Limbs (Arms) 2
Imp. Dam. Bite 1
Str Increase 2
Dex Increase 2
Energy Attacks 2
Energy Attacks 2

Feats
Weapon Focus 1
Fast Learner 1
Feral Combat Training 3
Bleeding Attack 5
Improved Natural Attack (Bite)7
Extra Evolution 9
Extra Evolution 11
Perfect Strike 13

I had this all taken down in a notepad document that I copied and pasted here and my formatting went all wonky.

Pilo
2014-06-30, 07:21 AM
Maybe you can be half-elf to get more evolution points for your eidolon with the favored class bonus (instead of 1 skill point or one hp per level).

emeraldstreak
2014-06-30, 09:36 AM
not sure what you want to optimize for

Spore
2014-06-30, 10:55 AM
Well I'm not against monks. I made a pretty fun one myself but I am asking why it HAS to be a monk in this instance?

Bump up your summoner level to be at least capable of summoning a large eidolon. It's honestly very worth it. Secondly I don't get what you're aiming for. Monk is a quite wonky choice. You're basically saying: "I want to play a martial artist who is in tune with his body. But I will drop his physical stats into the abyss and use an outsider as his body."

If you'd want a monastic character I would either choose an Paladin (typical paladins share traits of being modest and lawful). What is the backstory you want to transport? What exactly are you imagining as "ki construct"?

Actual tips:
1) Drop Martial Artist and go for Qigong Monk/Sensei Archetype. You want your base character to be a wise old sage using his spirit guide for battle.
2) Summoner 9/Monk 6 is superior. The size and strength increase from large eidolon is significantly helping you.
3) Use Qigong Monk to recycle your useless monk class features. Replace slow fall with Barkskin and Gaseous form for High Jump (assuming you chose flight as evolution).
4) Use Sensei for a large Ki pool and some nice ACFs.

My idea.

Human: +2 to Wis. +3 level ups
Str 7 Dex 7 Con 14 Int 14 Wis 22 Cha 14

Large biped Eidolon Belt Str +4/Dex +4 Headband Wis +4
Str 31 Dex 13 Con 18 Int 14 Wis 26 Cha 14

Evolutions:
(1) Improved Natural Armor, Reach (Unarmed Strike) +1 Evolution
(2) Flight (4), Grab (Unarmed Strike)
(4) Large

AC (with Mage Armor, Shield, Barkskin, Ring of Prot +3 active):
42 (1 Dex, 4 Armor, 4 Shield, 11 nat Armor, 9 Monk 3 Deflection)

Attacks:
+21/+21/+16/+11 Flurry of Blows (+1 Corrosive Amulet of Mighty Fists) 2d6+15 (Dragon Style) +1d6 Acid + Elemental Fist

CMB: 20 (Grapple +28)
CMD: 31 (Grapple 35)

Feats:
Go for Greater Grapple, Dragon Style, Elemental Fist and maybe Extra Evolutions to get the Energy Attacks evolution.

Important Spells:
(1) Shield, Mage Armor, Enlarge Person (congratz, you're huge now)
(2) Barkskin, Haste, Summon Eidolon, Lesser Evolution Surge (facing a white dragon? get immunity to cold!)
(3) Dimension Door, Stoneskin (DR is never bad, even AC 42 gets hit), Heroism (long term buff, you notice that you could only hit yourself on a 19 or 20, change that), Fly* (if you use Fly a lot you could change the Flight evolution for Energy Attacks and extra limbs (arms) so that you can punish your graple victim)

ironexe
2014-06-30, 09:34 PM
My idea for the character's background is that he/she was raised in a monastery with other monks, but due to illness as a child couldn't keep up with his peers or the rigorous training. So he trained in a fighting style that allowed him to channel his ki outwards and surround himself with it, like a shell, to boost his weakened body. I chose the Martial Artist archetype because it loses the Ki Pool feature, while giving some decent abilities. My logic was that since he channel's his ki outwards, he wouldn't be able to expend it like other monks. I will definately look at the Sensei archetype though, since my knowledge of it is pretty non-existant.

The reason for Monk is simply because I really like the Monk as a class. I know it's far from the best, but I think it's a really entertaining and interesting class. I find it sad that it's largely ignored by developers when I think it could be one of the more unique classes in the game. Although, I'll admit I find myself intrigued by a Paladin/Synthesist. Very interesting roleplay opportunities for that. A Paladin so devoted that it becomes shrouded by a vestige of it's god. I'll be looking at that, too, now.

As for optimizing, I'm not really trying to optimize for anything in particular. Rather I was looking for general ways that the character might be improved so as to not be a drag on the rest of the party