PDA

View Full Version : Melee fighter build challnge/help

Rhunder
2014-06-30, 07:49 AM
Hey Playground,

I have a new challenging build and I need your guys' help. I am making a new character for a new campaign. The goal is to be a melee character whose entire focus is killing spellcasters. Thus needing a class, feats, and/or class features that helps with saves, spell resistances, and shutting down spellcasting. Trying to avoid classes with spells, or anything relating to them (i.e. familiars, etc.). Using variants is fine though.

Really any sources can be used so long as its not homebrew. I just need to be able to show the source to my DM. The character is starting out at level 3. and just to add to the already challenging build character levels' 4-8 all have to be the same class and must match a class you already took in levels 1-3.

Alright guys, good luck and thanks in advance.

Catalysis
2014-06-30, 08:34 AM
Hey Playground,

I have a new challenging build and I need your guys' help. I am making a new character for a new campaign. The goal is to be a melee character whose entire focus is killing spellcasters. Thus needing a class, feats, and/or class features that helps with saves, spell resistances, and shutting down spellcasting. Trying to avoid classes with spells, or anything relating to them (i.e. familiars, etc.). Using variants is fine though.

Really any sources can be used so long as its not homebrew. I just need to be able to show the source to my DM. The character is starting out at level 3. and just to add to the already challenging build character levels' 4-8 all have to be the same class and must match a class you already took in levels 1-3.

Alright guys, good luck and thanks in advance.

First things first: no matter how hard you try a fighter can never compete with a spellcaster of equal level, but that doesn't mean we can't try it (again).

I'll do my best!

Yes, saves are usefull, but immunities are better.
Be a warforged, the immunities will help.

Next: touch AC.
Ring of protection, and better dex over full plate.

Spell resistance:
Try and find magic items that gives it, idealy 12 and more +HD

Evasion:
Ring of evasion

Mettle:
You need to multiclass, not sure if you are ok with that.

Movement modes:
Warforged do not need to breath, so walking at the bottom of the ocean should make up for the lack of swim speed.

Take ride and handle animal, train/buy a flying mount.

Always carry a tower shield, break the line of effect of various spells.

Feats:
Be an archer fighter, the woodland archer feat lets you ignore any concealment after you hit you foe once. (Races of the wild p. 154) It will also let you hide after attacking (see darkstalker feat)

Try to be at extrem range (300' +), otherwise you'll mostly get blown up.
Take far shot.

Sense weakness (draconomicon p. 106) should let you punch through some damage reduction with a bow.

Pick Darkstalker, even if the skills hide and move silently are (cc), it will make you only detectable by listen/spot check. (Lord of Madness, p. 179), no blindsense, tremorsense, blindsight, etc will pinpoint you.

Survivor luck, tempting fate and unbelivable luck should help you survive, and give your saving throws a better chance. (Complete scoundrel)

Alternatively, be a volley archer (rapid shot, greater manyshot, etc): the more attack you get, the better your chances are to hit.

You just need so much to cover the nigh versatility of spellcaster!

Magic items are the key.

I'll leave the other forum's member the task to improve the build.

emeraldstreak
2014-06-30, 08:35 AM
to kill casters you want to be able to counter their versatility; a simple gambit like immune to hp damage wont suffice

since you're locked in one class for 8 lvls, look for classes and also very importantly race that offer versatility

can you use UMD, ie wandslinger?

can you be psionics character?

can you be anything else thats like a caster but isnt arcane/divine caster per se?

Rhunder
2014-06-30, 08:49 AM
The goal is zero spellcasting, be it arcane or divine. Psionics is frowned upon but allowed. I came across mage slayer feat tree and loved some Hexblade abilities and witch slayer. But cant seem to compile the abilities in a good build.

Im also annoyed that levels 4-8 have to be the same. Fortunately, most spellcasters wont be optimized and most will be focused on one or two schools of magic. The big question is divine casters.

emeraldstreak
2014-06-30, 10:20 AM
The hexblade is hardly "no spellcasting"? As for the witch slayer, as a PrC you won't be able to take it before lvl 9; unless PrCs are allowed in the first eight levels which changes things.

The mageslayer tree looks good for mandatory melee.

Here are some options:

A barbarian with pounce charge followed by movement locks and mageslayer. Mad Foam Rager + Iron Heart Surge eventually.

Psychic Warrior or any other psionic class really, flavored for melee.

Or something more surprising: long-distance (lance) charger, a Small race on a cheetah, followed by move lock and mageslayer.

You'll need flight at lvl 5 which can be done in a few non-spellcasting ways. You'll still lack many vital tricks for facing spellcasters, but let's take it one at a time under your stipulated limitations.

It's best to start building and scrapping drafts with the elements you like/need, until you have an acceptable result.