PDA

View Full Version : Player Help [3.5] PC twins?

Senshi Akai
2014-06-30, 08:38 AM
Hello folks!

I am about to begin a new campaign and, as always, I will be the party wizard. However, another player want to learn how to be a god wizard too, so we are working on our background story so we can be twins.

My question is: Is there anything (besides fluff) that can represent the bond between twins? I thought about cooperative spellcaster, but that is it. I would like to know more options. (It does not have to be necessarily about spell casting).

Any 3.5 source is available (however Dragon Mag is subject to DM approval). If it is relevant, we are going to be gray elves, with the elven generalist stuff; 32 point buy for abilities and 2 flaws allowed. Also, we will be starting at level 1.

Val666
2014-06-30, 09:07 AM
Look over the race Dvati. That should work. However, Dvati's are..."bad" at spellcasting (go read the race Dx) but they make really powerful melee characters

Red Fel
2014-06-30, 09:19 AM
Look over the race Dvati. That should work. However, Dvati's are..."bad" at spellcasting (go read the race Dx) but they make really powerful melee characters

Very much this. Dvati are basically one soul in two bodies. They're kind of precisely what you're looking for.

Alternatively, in Player's Guide to Faerun, there's a Dwarf regional feat called Thunder Twin. It grants +2 to Diplomacy and Intimidate, and the ability to perform a DC 12 Wis check to locate your twin's direction. The catch is that (1) your DM has to allow regional feats, (2) you have to play Dwarves, and (3) you have to burn a feat on this.

Segev
2014-06-30, 09:26 AM
If you're not looking to extensively homebrew something to make them into two PCs, don't go for a dvati. It's a cool idea, but even used as 1 PC it takes some house ruling. To undo the nerfs meant to make it not overpowered as a single PC would be even more work to make it into two PCs.

Unless you want to refluff some of the spells wizards can cast, I'd suggest not worrying about a metaphysical tie. Twins still look identical; see if you can talk the DM into giving you a +2 circumstance bonus for disguising as each other (or even an automatic success). Heck, pick up Disguise Self and use it to look different, dropping it to enable you to pull off stunts involving faux teleportation or the like.

Segev
2014-06-30, 09:30 AM
Another thought: normally, having an extra head is a template that adds +2 LA because it is again intended for a single PC. You could see if the DM will let you have, perhaps, a 2-headed ogre or other big critter with the custom downside that it's BOTH of your PCs, each of you controlling a head, and you both have to agree on where to go. Counterbalance the LA (and any HD) with that inconvenience.

ArcaneGlyph
2014-06-30, 09:35 AM
http://dndtools.eu/feats/forgotten-realms-campaign-setting--19/thunder-twin--2920/

Thunder Twin Feat from FRCS.

Trasilor
2014-06-30, 10:38 AM
Hello folks!

I am about to begin a new campaign and, as always, I will be the party wizard. However, another player want to learn how to be a god wizard too, so we are working on our background story so we can be twins.

My question is: Is there anything (besides fluff) that can represent the bond between twins? I thought about cooperative spellcaster, but that is it. I would like to know more options. (It does not have to be necessarily about spell casting).

Any 3.5 source is available (however Dragon Mag is subject to DM approval). If it is relevant, we are going to be gray elves, with the elven generalist stuff; 32 point buy for abilities and 2 flaws allowed. Also, we will be starting at level 1.

Are you seriously trying to eek out one more benefit for your T1 character? :smallsigh:

I would suggest creating some Twin traits to your DM - things that give bonuses as well as penalties.

Valluman
2014-06-30, 10:41 AM
My opinion, just play them as twins and try and build your wizards around each other. You don't need extra flavor and fluff to make them better or cooler; they should be cool because you two make them that way. This is coming from a guy who has a real twin; you don't need a gimmick, just each other.

Senshi Akai
2014-06-30, 03:49 PM

Very much this. Dvati are basically one soul in two bodies. They're kind of precisely what you're looking for.

Alternatively, in Player's Guide to Faerun, there's a Dwarf regional feat called Thunder Twin. It grants +2 to Diplomacy and Intimidate, and the ability to perform a DC 12 Wis check to locate your twin's direction. The catch is that (1) your DM has to allow regional feats, (2) you have to play Dwarves, and (3) you have to burn a feat on this.

http://dndtools.eu/feats/forgotten-realms-campaign-setting--19/thunder-twin--2920/

Thunder Twin Feat from FRCS.

Dvati sounds a really cool idea, but I don't think it will be good with the other player - it is his first spellcaster, he asked me to tie our background so I can give him some tips as a good brother in-game (otherwise, some players would complain).

The Twin Feat, however... Wow. I will try to talk him into being a dwarf (and ask my DM if we can use the feat). I am cool with burning a feat, but I will have to check out with the other player. Ayway, thanks!

If you're not looking to extensively homebrew something to make them into two PCs, don't go for a dvati. It's a cool idea, but even used as 1 PC it takes some house ruling. To undo the nerfs meant to make it not overpowered as a single PC would be even more work to make it into two PCs.

Unless you want to refluff some of the spells wizards can cast, I'd suggest not worrying about a metaphysical tie. Twins still look identical; see if you can talk the DM into giving you a +2 circumstance bonus for disguising as each other (or even an automatic success). Heck, pick up Disguise Self and use it to look different, dropping it to enable you to pull off stunts involving faux teleportation or the like.

Another thought: normally, having an extra head is a template that adds +2 LA because it is again intended for a single PC. You could see if the DM will let you have, perhaps, a 2-headed ogre or other big critter with the custom downside that it's BOTH of your PCs, each of you controlling a head, and you both have to agree on where to go. Counterbalance the LA (and any HD) with that inconvenience.

2-headed something was the first idea I had, but the other players is not really experienced in D&D - or RPGs, for that matter. He thought it would be too much of a RPing challenge for him.

Disguise Self for how we look is a good idea, but how we look is not really the problem. I was looking for something more like "I am feeling that he is not okay" or "We can do that better together" (I know, poorly worded). Don't get me wrong: it is a good idea, and I will be sure to use it, so I really appreciate it.

Are you seriously trying to eek out one more benefit for your T1 character? :smallsigh:

I would suggest creating some Twin traits to your DM - things that give bonuses as well as penalties.

The DM said I could! :smalltongue:

I already talked to my DM to work out on some kind of trait with us, but he is kind lazy to homebrew and really prefer something already created/published. However, if it goes down to that, I guess he will work with us.

My opinion, just play them as twins and try and build your wizards around each other. You don't need extra flavor and fluff to make them better or cooler; they should be cool because you two make them that way. This is coming from a guy who has a real twin; you don't need a gimmick, just each other.

I totally agree with you there. I know some twins that really seem to have a kind of "empathy bond", and I am looking forward to RP that. Still, some players on the table are very rule-focused, and I am afraid they will accuse me and the other player of metagame if I try to bring the whole thing to the table without a proper explanation - hence my question. (It is a new group, so I am a bit cautious).

Segev
2014-06-30, 03:58 PM
Homebrew a feat that gives Status (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/status.htm) on one other person, who must also have the feat?

Something like:

Empathic Twin

You have another person with whom you share an empathic bond, and you can sense how they are almost as well as you can determine your own state of being. This is usually due to being twins, but can be the result of any close spiritual or fated connection.

Prerequisite: May only take this feat at first level

Benefit: Choose one other character in the game to be your "twin." You always have the effect of the status spell with respect to your twin. This supernatural ability works across planes.

Special: You may only take this feat at first level. The other person for whom you have this bond must also have this feat, and must choose you as their focus for the feat.

Adverb
2014-07-01, 02:42 AM
Having an in-party sibling is a lot of fun, period. You don't need mechanics to back it up.