PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Break Enchantment vs Greater Dispel Magic

Tryxx
2014-06-30, 08:52 AM
I'm trying to determine what uses I would have for Break Enchantment if I have access to Greater Dispel Magic on a fixed spell list. Any scenarios you can list where Break Enchantment would still be beneficial to have would be appreciated.

Break Enchantment states that it frees a subject from instantaneous enchantments and transmutations (I'm not as concerned about curses at the moment). Looking only at Core I see the following instantaneous enchantments: Feeblemind, Insanity, and Power Word Kill.

Both Feeblemind and Insanity have have text that state the status can only be removed with heal, limited wish, miracle, or wish. Break Enchantment certainly cannot reverse the effects of a Power Word Kill, so it seems from a core only perspective, instantaneous Enchantment effects don't exist to be solved by Break Enchantment.

Break Enchantment seems to have about the same utility with Transmutation effects. Flesh to Stone and Awaken seem like fun things to use Break Enchantment on, but there are still precious few effects that are instantaneous and affecting a creature.

I know I'm only looking at core at the moment, but it seems like I'm missing something big if this is all I can really come up with. Most spells are ongoing effects that can be hit with a dispel, so I'm still not quite sure how Break Enchantment fits in most of the time.

Any help clarifying?

Psyren
2014-06-30, 09:30 AM
The big advantage to break enchantment is that it is not actually a dispel. This means you can use it on effects like supernatural abilities, which normally can't be dispelled - such as a basilisk/medusa's gaze, or various paralysis effects.

Both Feeblemind and Insanity have have text that state the status can only be removed with heal, limited wish, miracle, or wish.

Actually, neither of those say "only." So Break Enchantment can in fact reverse feeblemind (but not Insanity as it is instantaneous and too high.) BE can also deal with Baleful Polymorph.