PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Snake Style Monk looking for items and gear tips

Yanisa
2014-06-30, 09:01 AM
So my DM has been stingy for a while, and I expect a huge payout soon, I think we spend 2-3 levels (8-11) without getting major loot so we might are getting under the Wealth By Level guidelines. Anyways I was looking at my character sheet and besides the basics I couldn't really imagine anything my monk wants, but there must be more stuff fitting for my monk. Preferable a bit cheap so I can buy a couple of items.

So, Currently level 11 Sneak Style Monk, so my focus lies on high AC and good saves, rather then offense. I also trip sometimes.

Current Gear:
Headband of Inspired Wisdom +2
Cloak of Resistance +2
Monk's Robe
Bracers of Armor +1
Dragon Signet Ring of Protection +3
Ring of Force Shield
Belt of Giant Strength +2
Boots of the Winterlands
"Magic Fist" +2

And besides upgrading what I got, and maybe get a Necklace of Natural Attack (which might be exploiting the "Magic Fists" I got) I don't really know what I want. Maybe I should turn some attention to resistance/immunity items but most of those seem expensive and I rather not want to spend all my loot on a single item (also my saves are great, so I don't worry too much at the moment).

So anything more off the normal lists out there for a snake monk, preferable cheap? :smalltongue:

P.S. In case it matters, no third party and preferable stuff from the hardcover books.

Psyren
2014-06-30, 09:17 AM
You should probably swap those boots out for Boots of Flying at this level. Even if you're constantly walking on ice you should be auto-succeeding on the Acrobatics check to move at full speed.

In addition to the neck slot which you plan on covering, you're also missing head, eyes, and chest slot items, so that should give you a good place to start before you resort to upgrading what you've already got. You didn't mention your race but darkvision would be something to aim for if you don't already have it.

Yanisa
2014-06-30, 03:34 PM
You should probably swap those boots out for Boots of Flying at this level. Even if you're constantly walking on ice you should be auto-succeeding on the Acrobatics check to move at full speed.
Yeah, the boots are pure filler, random loot we got just before a mountain quest and I never got rid of them. Then again the whole party is ground-bound, we have 3 melee and bear druid (which currently doesn't play often), and the DM is harsh but fair, so I don't expect a full group of enemies with flying while we cant do anything. Even worse, getting a way to fly might inspire the DM to use more flying enemies, so my item doesn't go to waste. :smalltongue:
Anyway, good tip, but maybe not now.

In addition to the neck slot which you plan on covering, you're also missing head, eyes, and chest slot items, so that should give you a good place to start before you resort to upgrading what you've already got. You didn't mention your race but darkvision would be something to aim for if you don't already have it.

I also miss a gloves slot, the magic fists count as my weapons slot (or slotless?). Darkvision is covered by being a dwarf.
Also looking by slot was a good tip, I saw two good items. Jingasa of the Fortunate Soldier (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/jingasa-of-the-fortunate-soldier) (Head) and Gauntlets of the Skilled Maneuver (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/gauntlets-of-the-skilled-maneuver) (Gloves). I didn't spot any cheap usable eye or chest items, maybe I missed something.

emeraldstreak
2014-06-30, 04:41 PM
It's good to have at least one of monk's belt/gauntlet's of the talon/monk's tattoo.

Another good item is oil of Greater Mighty Wallop, or wand if you can UMD, but be careful, it's kind of powerful.

Permanencied Greater Magic Fang - worth it despite not being exactly an item.

Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker - cheap way to cash in on your mobility

Greatreach bracers - well, reach is always good

As usual feats like Superior Unarmed Strike and Improved Natural Attack go well with the above list.