PDA

View Full Version : Hazards of Geothermal Terrain

Palanan
2014-06-30, 12:14 PM
So, in another thread there's been a mention of Lassen Volcanic National Park, a geothermal area in northern California. It looks gorgeous (http://www.nps.gov/media/photo/gallery.htm?id=C751AB55-155D-4519-3E6BF20C8E7253AE), but there are also some dangerous areas where a thin surface crust conceals boiling mud or water, and there are plenty of fumaroles and related features, such as toxic leaks of sulfuric fumes.

Naturally this struck me as a fantastic location for a chapter in a campaign, and I'm wondering if there's anything in 3.5 that details this kind of environment. It's apparently too specialized to show up in the DMG. Are there any supplements or modules that cover this sort of terrain, either in 3.5 or in Pathfinder?

Alex12
2014-06-30, 12:38 PM
So, in another thread there's been a mention of Lassen Volcanic National Park, a geothermal area in northern California. It looks gorgeous (http://www.nps.gov/media/photo/gallery.htm?id=C751AB55-155D-4519-3E6BF20C8E7253AE), but there are also some dangerous areas where a thin surface crust conceals boiling mud or water, and there are plenty of fumaroles and related features, such as toxic leaks of sulfuric fumes.

Naturally this struck me as a fantastic location for a chapter in a campaign, and I'm wondering if there's anything in 3.5 that details this kind of environment. It's apparently too specialized to show up in the DMG. Are there any supplements or modules that cover this sort of terrain, either in 3.5 or in Pathfinder?

You might check out the natural hazards section from Sandstorm and the Volcanic Fields area from Secrets of Xen'drik for inspiration.
I don't think it's an exact match, but it might help you come up with some mechanics.

Palanan
2014-06-30, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by Alex12
You might check out the natural hazards section from Sandstorm and the Volcanic Fields area from Secrets of Xen'drik for inspiration.

Okay, thanks. I never would've thought about Secrets of Xen'drik.

And you're right...the Volcanic Fields aren't an exact match, although there are some ideas there. Way too Mustafar for what I'm thinking, but a good starting point.