PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Monster that looks like a child

inertia709
2014-06-30, 12:33 PM
For the next session I'm GMing, I'm looking for a monster that looks like an infant or a child but is actually a powerful creature.

Here "powerful" is relative to a party of three level 5 characters (a standard buffer/debuffer bard, a mounted combat focused paladin and a synthesist summoner) and one level 7 NPC (a greatsword-wielding paladin). The synthesist is pretty optimized, whereas the other two are more in the middle ground of optimization.

The context is that they need to infiltrate a group of demon-worshipping antipaladins, and to test the group, the demon-worshippers make them kill what at first looks like a child. This is a good opportunity for roleplaying (especially for the paladin) but also lets the combat-focused players (hello Mr. Synthesist) enjoy their combat prowess. Note that in my campaign, paladins do not lose their powers for committing evil acts, as they are more about channelling the powers of angels to hunt demons than anything - in fact there are even a rare few evil paladins around - so that atoning won't be an issue if the paladins decide to kill the "child" for the "greater good."

Segev
2014-06-30, 12:43 PM
A succubus could shapeshift into an innocent-looking child.

Azraile
2014-06-30, 12:46 PM
Yah anything with shape shifting really, there templates that add it too I beleave.

13ones
2014-06-30, 01:18 PM
Let me introduce you to the wonderful Cannibal Child (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/cannibal-child). You can scale it up by tweeking the stats and DCs. Its only a CR 3 encounter but it could very easily be a CR5 or CR6 with a bit of adjusting.

Here, let me provide a mocked up stat page for this.

13ones
2014-06-30, 01:31 PM
Cannibal Child CR 7

XP 3,300
CE Small undead
Init +4; Senses darkvision 60 ft, detect good; Perception +20

DEFENSE

AC 21, touch 14, flat-footed 18
hp 84 (8d10+40)
Fort +9, Ref +5, Will +15
Immune Undead traits (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Undead-Traits-Ex-)
Weakness [URL="http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Vulnerabilities-Ex-or-Su-"]Vulnerability/URL] to silver

OFFENSE

Speed 60 ft
Melee 2 claws +11 (1d3+1) + grab
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks devour flesh (4d6+4 plus racking pain), gaze, Grab
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 4th)
3/per day - False Life, Haunting Mists, Hypnotism
At will - detect good, Ghost Sound, Haunted Fey Aspect, Touch of Fatigue

STATISTICS

Str 15, Dex 17, Con 20, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 27
Base Atk +9; CMB +12; CMD 23
Feats Alertness, Skill Focus [Bluff], Combat Reflexes, Iron Will
Skills Bluff +27, +19 Disguise , Intimidate +16, Perception +21

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Devour Flesh (Su)

When a cannibal child makes a successful grapple check, it inflicts claw damage as normal plus it literally inhales flesh from its victim, stripping the tissue away with its supernatural inhalation. The victim suffers 4d6+4 points of damage and wracking pains that impose a -4 penalty on attack rolls, skill checks, and ability checks. A DC Fortitude save halves the damage and negates the wracking pains. Otherwise, the pains last until the victim recovers hit points lost due to this ability.

Charming Gaze (Su)

Charm person, range 30 ft., Will DC 24 negates. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Vulnerability to Silver (Su)

A cannibal child takes half again as much damage (+50%) from silver weapons. This increase only applies to the base weapon damage itself, including enhancement bonuses, but does not apply to additional damage from other sources such as high Strength or sneak attack.

ECOLOGY
Environment any
Organization solitary
Treasure incidental

The cannibal child isn't really a cannibal or a child. It's an undead horror that relies on its ability to disguise itself as a lost child to lure prey into its deadly clutches. Scholars believe that in life cannibal children were people of exceptional greed or gluttony. They put their own selfish appetites ahead of everything and everyone, and so incurred a terrible curse after death.

A cannibal child prefers to attack by surprise, especially against someone whose trust it has earned. A cannibal child often ingratiates itself to its victim via the enchanting power of its gaze. Despite its small size, a cannibal child possesses great strength. It latches on to its prey with its claws and then uses its horrible devour flesh ability to inflict ghastly wounds.

Segev
2014-06-30, 01:47 PM
Let me introduce you to the wonderful Cannibal Child (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/cannibal-child). You can scale it up by tweeking the stats and DCs. Its only a CR 3 encounter but it could very easily be a CR5 or CR6 with a bit of adjusting.

Here, let me provide a mocked up stat page for this.

Ooh, and it's Undead. Minionmancers have more toys!

inertia709
2014-06-30, 01:53 PM
Cannibal Child CR 7

Awesome stuff

Thanks for the help 13ones! Great stuff!

I think I might up the claw damage a bit, maybe 1d6 and give it higher strength to make its melee a bit less boring when it doesn't get its flesh devouring attack. I might also give it dominate person 1/day, like a succubus (also CR 7), but decrease its charisma (say to 21) to balance the other stuff. Does that sound reasonable?

13ones
2014-06-30, 02:18 PM
I used this monster for a sort of entrance boss encounter for a party in a undead heavy game.

The encounter starts with the party finding the child in the woods, or a deserted village, church, whatever. Once its true nature is revealed the battle is joined by a dozen low level ghosts simply because I found that just having one creature tends to have it focused down pretty hard.

I wouldn't use dominate, I'd use Charm personally. The entire sort of thing about the CC is about making the person want to pick them up, not forcing them to pick it up.

If you want to add another little touch I thought about giving it skin send and stating up an encounter for its skin.

Elderand
2014-06-30, 02:40 PM
There is the slay mate too

Socksy
2014-06-30, 04:39 PM
There is the slay mate too

Yeah, first things I thought of were the Attic Whisperer and the Slaymate. Again, undead.

EDIT: Or it could just be a child with a shedload of templates stacked on it. Fiendish Half-Farspawn Half-Illithid whatever.

ahenobarbi
2014-06-30, 05:57 PM
Any [Evil] Outsider with enough levels in Fiend of Possession to posses a child?

Callin
2014-06-30, 06:05 PM
Dont forget about the Unholy Scion. It can control is mother from the womb and be a Cancer Mage with a Mother Cyst. Cant kill the mother cus its mind controlled and beholden to the little unborn horror. So gotta find a way to disable her and cut out the child (ya know since Paladin NPC and all that). THEN deal with it there at full HP and some really nasty abilities.

Pyromancer999
2014-06-30, 07:10 PM
Dont forget about the Unholy Scion. It can control is mother from the womb and be a Cancer Mage with a Mother Cyst. Cant kill the mother cus its mind controlled and beholden to the little unborn horror. So gotta find a way to disable her and cut out the child (ya know since Paladin NPC and all that). THEN deal with it there at full HP and some really nasty abilities.

It's scary as heck in gameplay, if done right.

Also, if you have Heroes of Horror, there's an entire adventure based around an Unholy Scion and a Ghost, if you want to play that.

gr8artist
2014-06-30, 07:20 PM
My favorite, though the attic whisperer comes to mind. I'll have to look up the "Slay Mate"
Vulnadaemon (PF) (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/daemons/daemon-vulnadaemon)
Image for reference: Here (http://37.media.tumblr.com/72ba29300e940dcff950ee7c40cdc84a/tumblr_n7dythMm4P1r6tkn8o5_500.jpg)