PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying 3.5 - Targetteer Great Crossbow Fun.

Grimm
2014-06-30, 01:32 PM
This post is mostly about what my DM has allowed, and what I plan to do with my character. I'm pretty set on the build overall, but looking to hear some criticism, and perhaps some praise for the DM that I can pass along (if anyone feels like it!).

The DM himself is pretty obsessive about themes. If your character is thematic at all, and has a good RP story behind it, he will let you get away with just about anything.

I came into the group wanting to make a fighter, but eventually took up the role of "Sniper", as our entire group is just a bunch of fighters, and barbs. The character itself will break down to be level 6 Targetteer (Dragon Magazine Fighter Variant), Level 7 Deepwood Sniper (Masters of the Wild), and level 7 Peerless Archer (Silver marches).

To keep the characters theme, he uses a Great Crossbow most of the time, and a light repeater. I know, I'd prefer a heavy, but my Strength is ridiculously low, so my carry weight is abysmal.

So, as you can see, the DM permitted 3.0 Classes with no 3.5 equivalent, as well as a slight variation of Peerless Archer. Since the requirements are Bows, not Xbows, we made Peerless Crossbowmen. He also didn't like the sneak attack dice attached to a sniper, so the sneak attack dice were traded off for the Scout variant "Sniper" skirmish damage (can't take a 5ft step, but gain the Xd6).

He also permitted something rather neat with the Great Crossbow. Because it is so large and heavy, he said that it can benefit from both Wooden and Metal material rules. He did however limit that a magical item cannot have both magical, and psionic enchantments. You pick one or the other. For the sake of the lore of my character, the great crossbow will have the following traits.

Darkwood for Wood
Alchemical Gold for the metal (already got the OK)
Collision Enchant
Psychokinetic Burst Enchant

Feats are:
Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Great Xbow (Free from Targetteer)
Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Light Repeater (Free from Targetteer)
Weapon Focus: Great Crossbow
Crossbow Sniper
Precise Shot
Point Blank Shot
Quick Draw
Far Shot
Sniping (Targetteer feat/ability)
Item Familiar
Skill Knowledge: Use Psionic Device
Weapon Specialization: Great Crossbow
Ranged Weapon mastery: Piercing

and I think that's everything.

Reason for now rapid reload is, he made variant versions of Quick Reload, and Self Loading Crossbows. They're "mechanical" enchantments to the xbow that allow the Xbow to be reloaded as a free action, but does not permit iteratives. Meaning I can take a full round action to fire using the Targetteer Sniping ability, but can't fire again until the following round.

I realize this is a bit disjointed, as there are many exceptions/weird quirks due to the nature of the DM for the group, but I gotta say a lot of it is pretty neat in combination.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any input, particularly if anyone has any other ideas for what to add to some gear for "Mechanical" buffs and enchants. The character himself is a Variant Dwarf the DM created, with "Craft: Engineering" as his racial skill, so any inspiration there might be fun.