PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Making an Arcane-divine Necromancer to LVL 20

atemu1234
2014-06-30, 01:58 PM
I want to create a powerful necromancer character. For levels, I was thinking Dread Necromancer 9 / Ur-Priest 2 / Mystic Theurge 9. But what feats should I take in order to make it a more powerful Necromancer?

Madara
2014-06-30, 04:38 PM
It depends if you have two control pools: Arcane/Divine. If you do, you're build can work, if not then rethink it.

I recommend

Corpsecrafter feats: Buffing your undead army

Elder Giant Magic(Secrets of Xendrik) feat: Boosts your caster level by up to 3 by extending casting duration. Very worthwhile for animate dead.

Kazudo
2014-06-30, 04:42 PM
I want to create a powerful necromancer character. For levels, I was thinking Dread Necromancer 9 / Ur-Priest 2 / Mystic Theurge 9. But what feats should I take in order to make it a more powerful Necromancer?

Idiotic question which is a slight bit off topic, but why are you taking 2 levels of ur-priest AND 9 levels of MT? You only really need 8 levels of MT; which would get you a 10th level of Dread Necromancer.

Zombulian
2014-06-30, 04:50 PM
Maybe take a look at the Corpsecrafter feats from Libris Mortis. If you want to do a Theurge Necromancer, could I recommend playing a Sha'ir/True Necromancer? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?272556-NecroCheat) Usually the True Necromancer is a terrible, terrible trap, but in this situation it's actually not so bad.

Necroticplague
2014-06-30, 04:56 PM
Do you particularly care how you get both divine and arcane, or is just casting both good enough? A rainbow dreadsnake could probably work, with any leftover levels being Contwmplative for relevant domains. Something like DN1/Rainbow Servant10/Contemplative9 would give you level 9 spells for both, and you could pick up deathbound and death domains.

sideswipe
2014-06-30, 05:12 PM
tomb tainted soul for free healing to yourself forever.

atemu1234
2014-06-30, 08:13 PM
Idiotic question which is a slight bit off topic, but why are you taking 2 levels of ur-priest AND 9 levels of MT? You only really need 8 levels of MT; which would get you a 10th level of Dread Necromancer.

Access to ninth level spells as a Dread Necromancer. With spells as a 17th level one, you only have up to eight.

2014-06-30, 09:54 PM
Access to ninth level spells as a Dread Necromancer. With spells as a 17th level one, you only have up to eight.

I believe their suggestion was, rather than Dread Necromancer 9/Ur-Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 9, you should go Dread Necromancer 10/Ur-Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 8. Both methods give you 9th levels arcane/divine spells, but the second method alsoo gives you inherent light fortification. It should be noted that, unless you're using fractional BAB/saves, Fort and Ref (your bad saves) will be a point lower in the second build, while Wil (your already great save) will be a point higher.

Alternatively, you could take a level of cleric for the domain powers, or druid , because druid. This works since, although you can't use any divine magic you had when you entered Ur-Priest, there's no penalty or prohibition on getting/using divine spells later on from another source. It's implied, but since it's not stated, you can do it.

Similarly, there's no penalty for an Ur-Priest who becomes good. That means that, with a careful build, and a PrC that advances two divine casters, you could make an Ur-Priest/Apostle of Peace with 9th level spells from both.

Edit: ignore that last paragraph; the PrC rules state that if you lose pre-reqs, you lose class abilities, so Ur-Priest and Apostle of Peace can't mix at all.

I maintain that, since Ur-priest pre-reqs say that you can't use any divine casting you had before taking Ur-priest (if any), you can take divine casting classes after you take Ur-priest without losing Ur-priest stuff, since it specifies casting you had before taking Ur-priest. It's questionable RAI, but it's legal by RAW. Unlike Apostle of Peace.