PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Black Phoenix Monk (3.5 PrC, PEACH)

the humanity
2014-06-30, 03:09 PM
Black Phoenix Monk

http://ericbelisle.com/weblogs/wp-content/gallery/paizo/monk-2.jpg

"The flames of Kossuth are a bitter glass to drink, but there is no better purifier for a lawless soul."
- Liana Wolfchild, Silver Phoenix Monk

There are few monks who trade their versatility as a monk for the fire of Kossuth. (Phoenix Disciple, monk variant, Champions of Valor) There are fewer still who join the ranks of the Black Phoenix, the chosen few warriors of the Lord of Flames. Through constant trial and dedication, the Black Phoenix learns to both improve his combat skill and his mobility, dancing around his enemies in flashes of smoke and striking with the dark fire of the Flamelord.

It is impossible to be a Black Phoenix monk without being a Phoenix Disciple first. The class is intended to build upon the abilities and beliefs of the Kossuthian monk. Many benefit from multiclassing with rogue or scout, allowing their firestride ability to place them precisely in the perfect spot to bring down a enemy of law.

Prerequisites
Phoenix Disciple 3rd level
Feats: Stunning Fist
Skills: Knowledge Religion 8 ranks, Knowledge History 4 ranks, Tumble 4 ranks
Diety: Kossuth
Special: must have converted at least three people to become followers of Kossuth, at least one of which who chooses to become a Phoenix Disciple.
Special: must go through a trial led by a Black Phoenix Monk of at least 3rd level.

Hit Dice
d8

Skill Points per Level
4+Int modifier

Class Skills
Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

Lvl.
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
Flickerwalk

Monk Abilities, Black Flame, Weapon Focus
-

Flickerwalk
10 ft.

Whirlwind Attack
10 ft.

Resistance to Fire 10
15 ft.

Improved Black Flame
15 ft.

Resistance to Fire 15
20 ft.

Phoenix Wings
20 ft

Resistance to Fire 20
25 ft.

Phoenix Flurry
25 ft.

Immunity to Fire
30 ft.

Monk abilities: Ex A Black Phoenix Monk continues her monastic study of defense and combat. A Black Phoenix Monk's class levels stack with monk for unarmed damage and AC bonus.

Black Flame: Sp Through rigorous training, Black Phoenix Monks have learned to imbue their punches much more efficiently, imbuing each strike with a touch of intense fire, allowing every strike she makes to be imbued with their purifying flame.

Weapon Focus: A Black Phoenix Monk gains Weapon Focus Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat.

Flickerwalk: Sp Black Phoenix Monks of at least 2nd level learn the ability to flicker through space using a swift action like a flame in the wind, able to instantly transfer yourself to an exact location you can see 10 ft away from you in a burst of flame. Any opponent who is grappling you while you Flickerwalk takes 2d6 points of fire damage as you move. You may use this ability a number of times per day equal to your class level plus your constitution bonus.
This ability increases it's range 5 ft. at 4th level and again at every even level afterwards.

This ability cannot take you to a spot you cannot see (magical sight will work, but a map of the room you're in does not allow you to qualify). This ability cannot move you through or into water (however, moving over or around water is possible. You may not flickerwalk with other people. If you flickerwalk to a spot in midair, you will start falling. You may not flickerwalk to occupied squares.

Whirlwind Attack: A Black Phoenix Monk gains Whirlwind Attack as a bonus feat at 3rd level, even if he doesn't meet the prerequisites.

Resistance to Fire: Black Phoenix Monks resist fire better than most Phoenix Disciples. At 4th level, their resistance to fire increases to 10. At 6th it increases to 15. At 8th it increases to 20.

Improved Black Flame: Sp At 5th level, Black Phoenix Monks learn to produce more fire in each blow, dealing 1d8 points of damage with each Purifying Flame strike instead of the 1d6 of lesser Phoenix Disciples.

Phoenix Wings: Sp A 7th level Black Phoenix learns to channel her fire into a pair of fiery black wings, allowing her a fly speed equal to her walking speed. This ability also allows her to make a Whirlwind Attack with her unarmed strike with a reach of 10 ft by using her wings to attack her foes.

Phoenix Flurry: Ex By observing the fast movement of the dancing flame, the Black Phoenix Monk learns to flurry even faster. A Black Phoenix monk may spend a Stunning Fist attempt to gain an extra attack with a flurry of blows during any round she used her Flickerwalk at her highest flurry attack bonus at 9th level.

Immunity to Fire: Ex A Black Phoenix has finally gained true mastery of fire, and becomes immune to fire damage at 10th level.

nonsi
2014-06-30, 05:11 PM
1. "- Liana Wolfchild, Silver Phoenix Monk". I know it's a typo, but I find silver to be more in theme with what this PrC is meant to represent.
2. Special prereq. #1 should be an example of a trial, not the only option. people don't like storylines shoved down their throats.
3. Special prereq. #3 says "a Black Phoenix Monk of at least 3rd level". Well, then how did the 1st "Black Phoenix Monk" come to be.
4. Flickerwalk: What's the usage limitations? What action activates it?
5. Immunity to Fire should have a preceding ability that elevates the Phoenix Disciple's resistance.

the humanity
2014-06-30, 05:31 PM
1. "- Liana Wolfchild, Silver Phoenix Monk". I know it's a typo, but I find silver to be more in theme with what this PrC is meant to represent.
2. Special prereq. #1 should be an example of a trial, not the only option. people don't like storylines shoved down their throats.
3. Special prereq. #3 says "a Black Phoenix Monk of at least 3rd level". Well, then how did the 1st "Black Phoenix Monk" come to be.
4. Flickerwalk: What's the usage limitations? What action activates it?
5. Immunity to Fire should have a preceding ability that elevates the Phoenix Disciple's resistance.

As a note, this is for one of my players. Originally, it was going to be the Prc of his 'spirit guide', but he was intrigued with making his own monastic order. Which is a cool idea.
Maybe gold?

I see your point for number 2. I was going to have Kossuth challenge him in a dream, reward him with the first level (which would coincide with the rest of the party leveling up) as the first and his character would be the one doing most of the quest giving.

Flickerwalk is a swift action usable as often as you have swift actions. It goes anywhere in your range you can see. The monk is having difficulty getting to the places where he can stun or hit, I felt it was no worse than pounce, but a little more versatile. I'll make sure that's clearer.

Maybe the even levels where he gets his boost to flickerwalk he should get fire resistance? I thought the same thing.

nonsi
2014-06-30, 05:56 PM
As a note, this is for one of my players. Originally, it was going to be the Prc of his 'spirit guide', but he was intrigued with making his own monastic order. Which is a cool idea.
Maybe gold?

Gold seems presumptuous and vain to me.
Silver fits much better for representing asceticism and unswerving dedication to a distilled pure form of inner power.
But hey, whatever rocks his boat.

As a note, this is for one of my players. Originally, it was going to be the Prc of his 'spirit guide', but he I see your point for number 2. I was going to have Kossuth challenge him in a dream, reward him with the first level (which would coincide with the rest of the party leveling up) as the first and his character would be the one doing most of the quest giving.

Nice.
Covers both #2 & #3.

As a note, this is for one of my players. Originally, it was going to be the Prc of his 'spirit guide', but he Flickerwalk is a swift action usable as often as you have swift actions. It goes anywhere in your range you can see.

Don't know. Unrestricted teleportation seems abuseable to me.
This makes the monk impossible to contain without burring him in stone 10'+ from all directions.

The monk is having difficulty getting to the places where he can stun or hit, I felt it was no worse than pounce, but a little more versatile. I'll make sure that's clearer.

Then make FoB applicable on charge & standard action as well.
The Monk's speed grants it a significant jump, so this should cover it.
At higher levels (somewhere around 15th), you could allow FoB on an AoO, once per round (or unrestricted, if you will).

Maybe the even levels where he gets his boost to flickerwalk he should get fire resistance? I thought the same thing.

Seems fine to me.

the humanity
2014-06-30, 06:40 PM
Don't know. Unrestricted teleportation seems abuseable to me.
This makes the monk impossible to contain without burring him in stone 10'+ from all directions.
Then make FoB applicable on charge & standard action as well.
The Monk's speed grants it a significant jump, so this should cover it.
At higher levels (somewhere around 15th), you could allow FoB on an AoO, once per round (or unrestricted, if you will).

Special bricks can't be teleported through. Spells can deny him movement. A rope and a blindfold will shut him down. I can limit the uses per day, but I do want it to be something he's not afraid to do a few turns in a row.

EdroGrimshell
2014-06-30, 10:10 PM
Special bricks can't be teleported through. Spells can deny him movement. A rope and a blindfold will shut him down. I can limit the uses per day, but I do want it to be something he's not afraid to do a few turns in a row.

make it per encounter instead of per day.

the humanity
2014-07-01, 04:41 PM
make it per encounter instead of per day.

I just talked to my player, he prefers it working like his stunning fist. I think Con bonus + B.P.M. level should be ok for him.

if anyone likes the class and wants to run it as a per encounter, I think con bonus times per encounter works great for that.