PDA

View Full Version : Iaijutsu with Daggers

Snowbluff
2014-06-30, 03:40 PM
Is there an easy with to stow daggers? I want to do a Swordsage/Something/Daggercast Mage.

Regissoma
2014-06-30, 03:52 PM
Wouldn't the bandolier work just fine? It can hold up to ten knives/daggers. I don't remember what book its from though.

Doc_Maynot
2014-06-30, 03:54 PM
A handy haversack?
I have a build that uses one filled with shapesand daggers.

Harlot
2014-06-30, 05:01 PM
Iajutsu focus + swordsage + assassins stance + gnomish Quickrazor = ftw.
(you have to be a gnome though)
Also, if you need loads of efficient awesome daggers, make them 'daggers of return' - then you only need two.
Make them from morphed shurikens at a massive 98% discount.

Bluydee
2014-06-30, 05:03 PM
Iajutsu focus + swordsage + assassins stance + gnomish Quickrazor = ftw.
(you have to be a gnome though)
Also, if you need loads of efficient awesome daggers, make them 'daggers of return' - then you only need two.
Make them from morphed shurikens at a massive 98% discount.

You don't need to be a gnome to use gnomish quickrazors.

Snowbluff
2014-06-30, 05:04 PM
Carrying a bandolier could work until I get some magic daggers. Same with sandshaping daggers (good idea, though).

Daggers are the preferred weapon, for Shadowblade and Daggerspell Mage.

Morphing Shuriken would be able to be daggers, right? I could do some aptitude weapons with the reduced cost.

EDIT: Nope, Aptitude doesn't work with Daggercast.

Teh_das
2014-06-30, 05:28 PM
Any chance your DM would let you remove the swift action component on the Gauntlets of Infinite Blades? Or fluff the Gloves of Endless Javelins to be daggers instead?

Dusk Eclipse
2014-06-30, 05:28 PM
I was going to suggest a dip into Soulknife (preferably DSP one) and Minblade gauntles.... but it doesn't work as I though at it would be extremely expensive.

Gildedragon
2014-06-30, 07:25 PM
There are drop sheathes,
With quick draw and normal sheathes all over

Snowbluff
2014-06-30, 07:50 PM
Any chance your DM would let you remove the swift action component on the Gauntlets of Infinite Blades? Or fluff the Gloves of Endless Javelins to be daggers instead?

I'd rather do this by RAW.

Soulknife would be interesting.

I think I have my heart set on some morphing shuriken, since they are cheap. ~160 gp per individual shuriken.

Question: Can I TWF 2 -2 Cursed Swords? It's only 30 GP to add to a Shuriken.

Val666
2014-06-30, 08:01 PM
A handy haversack?
I have a build that uses one filled with shapesand daggers.

The Sand Thrower 2.0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snowbluff
2014-06-30, 08:19 PM
The Sand Thrower 2.0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's that like?

Doc_Maynot
2014-06-30, 09:10 PM
What's that like?

I mean, it's decently simple Rapid Shot Thrower.

Human Cloistered Cleric of The Lightbringer 1/Targeteer Fighter 2 (Arrow Storm, FBF)/Factotum 4/Master Thrower 1 (Palm Throw)/Factotum 12
1: Rapid Shot
H: Point Blank Shot
B: Knowledge Devotion
B: Chaos Devotion
B: Travel Devotion
3: Weapon Focus (Dagger)
B: Precise Shot
6: Font of Inspiration
B: Quickdraw
9: Font of Inspiration
12: Font of Inspiration
15: Font of Inspiration
18: Font of Inspiration
Basically, you are just throwing the sand daggers all day, Iajutsu optional.

Snowbluff
2014-06-30, 09:27 PM
Oh yeah, I don't need to make a melee attack. >:D

So, if I have 1 cursed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm) -2 dagger, can I wield it in my off hand by drawing it with my off hand after my main hand attack?

SiuiS
2014-06-30, 09:33 PM
Single feat investment:

Shape soulmeld.

Incarnate weapons have a functional returning property, only there is no duration or action involved. They appear in your hand (as if drawn) as soon as you have a free hand (my incarnates walk around with sort of clasped fists so they don't get a sword all the time). I've successfully used this for multiattack iaijutsu.

Zombulian
2014-06-30, 09:39 PM
Also you can make a Sleight of Hand check to hide a weapon on your person as a free action.

Doc_Maynot
2014-06-30, 09:45 PM
Oh yeah, I don't need to make a melee attack. >:D

So, if I have 1 cursed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm) -2 dagger, can I wield it in my off hand by drawing it with my off hand after my main hand attack?

Seeing as it'll take Quickdraw to draw a weapon outside of a move action, you would do just the same by free action drawing daggers out of the haversack once you get that at level 8.

Until then an Iajutsu attack would involve using a Shapesand Quickrazor via melee with a -4 to the attack roll

Snowbluff
2014-06-30, 10:07 PM
Single feat investment:

Shape soulmeld.

Incarnate weapons have a functional returning property, only there is no duration or action involved. They appear in your hand (as if drawn) as soon as you have a free hand (my incarnates walk around with sort of clasped fists so they don't get a sword all the time). I've successfully used this for multiattack iaijutsu.
Well, I have to draw a weapon. Incarnate weapons don't come in dagger, do they?

Also you can make a Sleight of Hand check to hide a weapon on your person as a free action.
True. I could pick up the skill trick.

Seeing as it'll take Quickdraw to draw a weapon outside of a move action, you would do just the same by free action drawing daggers out of the haversack once you get that at level 8.

Until then an Iajutsu attack would involve using a Shapesand Quickrazor via melee with a -4 to the attack roll
That doesn't really answer my question about the cursed dagger. I can fit in quick draw, I just want to know what people think about TWFing the same weapon. Maybe I should use quickrazors in it's stead, as the draw proxy. A lesser returning crystal on the proxy could handle it, too. The Cursed Morphing Shuriken would be cheap enough to use at level 3, which is my starting level. :smalltongue:

Muckdweller Swordsage1/Wizard2 is what I am looking at right now. I'll be grabbing another wizard level, then something for sneak attack. Drow Fighter Sneak Attack Fighter with ride swapped for Tumble as per Skill City-Dwell.
1: (This could be EWP: Quickrazor, Quickdraw, or getting Iai as a class skill)
3: Two Weapon Fighting
Martial Wizard 1: (free)
F: Weapon Focus (Dagger)
F: Shadowblade
Racial: Weapon Finesse

deuxhero
2014-06-30, 10:13 PM
I honestly prefer that the skill triggers when you draw a a melee weapon, not the one you attack with, to quickrazor and just drawing a dagger then attacking.

Snowbluff
2014-06-30, 10:19 PM
I honestly prefer that the skill triggers when you draw a a melee weapon, not the one you attack with, to quickrazor and just drawing a dagger then attacking.

That's how it works, but I want to stick to using the weapon I draw to keep people from crying foul.

My problem is that having 2 cursed weapons may cause them to swap places each time I draw or something.

Vortenger
2014-07-01, 12:35 PM
Weapon Crystal of Return, Least gives Quick Draw to the masterwork weapon+ its attached to. Well known, but it may be of some use. Makes the slight of hand hidden 'knives' (shuriken) a bit easier to contend with.

Snowbluff
2014-07-01, 12:48 PM
I looked it up, and it turns out I don't the the crystal. If I have a cursed weapon and quickrazors, I can draw the quickrazors to get the cursed weapon as a free action.

Gildedragon
2014-07-01, 01:53 PM
still crystals are quick, cheaper than the cursed blade, and have the weapon hit more often (+1 from masterwork vs -2 from cursed)

and with the quickrazor... really you don't need either.

and with the quickdraw feat you don't need either crystals or cursed blade, just a lot of knives.

now how many attacks per round are ya thinking?

Snowbluff
2014-07-01, 02:13 PM
The cursed weapon lets me consolidate my enchantments. It's dirt cheap if it's really a shuriken. Holding a quickrazor is free quickdraw. :smalltongue:

I should have ~8 when I am done.

Zaq
2014-07-01, 03:11 PM
You're a Daggerspell Mage? That means you have magic. You could get a metamagic rod of Chain Spell and just cast GMW on your daggers. Draw them with Quick Draw, drop them as a free action, and have an Unseen Servant following you around to pick them up afterward. Instead of taking a penalty for using a cursed weapon, you'd have a bonus for using an enchanted one.

No good way of getting non-numerical enchantments on each and every one of them, unfortunately, but you can probably live without those.

Snowbluff
2014-07-01, 04:38 PM
No good way of getting non-numerical enchantments on each and every one of them, unfortunately, but you can probably live without those.

Why would anyone do this? Your advice is entirely contradictory. I have a huge bonus to hit from being tiny and having a good dex. Who cares about the -2 from the cursed dagger if I could EASILY AND READILY reclaim my losses.