PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Fastest speed available or "The Spark Form Experiment"

GPuzzle
2014-06-30, 05:22 PM
The Sorcerer power Spark Form allows you to shift your speed+2. How many Shift+Speed boosters can be added to a single character to hit the entire battlefield, and since you'll be attacking a lot, why not use a Hellfire Staff to try to recharge it on a crit?

So far, I've reached a 13 total squares using a Vryloka Sorcerer|Rogue/Zephyr Warchief with Risky Shift, Long Step and Fleet-Footed. Can anyone get something higher?

georgie_leech
2014-06-30, 08:20 PM
Isn't there a Ranger Daily Stance Utility that improves speed by 4?

GPuzzle
2014-06-30, 08:31 PM
Ranger Agility's gives you a +2 power bonus to speed and you shift 1 more square.

With the Boots of Speed, you shift 17 squares in a single round.

Whoa.

But we need to go faster.

eggabubu8e
2014-06-30, 10:20 PM
I have found a way to reach 27 using spark form. However seeing as you need to be in epic tier to get long step I took it upon myself to make this character level 26 so I can (ab)use certain magical items.
The character is a Vryloka Sorcerer|Barbarian-Rouge
Paragon path: Wildrunner
Epic Destiny: Eternal Seeker
Vryloka: speed 7
Relevant feats: Sneak of Shadows (Mc Rouge), Risky shift, fleet footed, long step, armor profs. Leather and hide.
Items: Great Cat Armor, Boots of speed, and a Star Opal ring.
Relevant attacks: Spark form( lv7 sorcerer encounter), Swift Panther Rage( lv1 Barbarian Daily), Expeditious Stride( lv10 ranger utility), and Longstrider( lv16 ranger utility).

The math:
Spark form: "before the attack, shift your speed plus 2."
Vryloka starts with speed 7.
The two armor profs allow for Great Cat Armor which gives +1 speed. Total:10
Eternal Seeker level 21 feature gives access to retrain to have ranger powers Expeditious Stride and Longstrider. When using both: Total: 17
If you have already used Swift panther Rage then the combination of the rage effect and the level 11 path feature wildrunners swiftness gives another +4. Total: 21
Boots of speed: another +2. Total: 23
Star Opal Ring: another +1. Total: 24
Fleet Footed: another +1. Total: 25
Risky Shift: Rouge feat for adding +1 to shifting distance.
Long Step: additional +1 to speed while shifting. Total: 27
That's right folks that's a 27 movement for one turn and a whopping 24 when not shifting.
I really like this build cause there it a lot more that can be done for it and I think would be amazing to play as.
That fast enough for ya?:smallcool:

Yakk
2014-07-01, 03:27 AM
Blush of the Damned gives another +1d6 squares shifted, but Risky Shift (and skme other sources of squares?) is Rogue only, so you cannot be a Rouge as well.

GPuzzle
2014-07-01, 07:14 AM
He's MC'ed Rogue.

That's fast. Like, very fast.

Yakk
2014-07-01, 08:21 AM
No, he MC'd Rouge.

GPuzzle
2014-07-01, 08:30 AM
Good point.

LESS MAKEUP, MORE SPEED!

Inevitability
2014-07-01, 09:22 AM
Since all the speedboosters seem to be spread out over lots of classes, maybe this could work as a bard? MC sorcerer, swap out Spark Form, multiclass into a few other things, gain speed boosts.

eggabubu8e
2014-07-01, 11:14 AM
Since all the speedboosters seem to be spread out over lots of classes, maybe this could work as a bard? MC sorcerer, swap out Spark Form, multiclass into a few other things, gain speed boosts.

Actually this is a really cool concept, however the character would become very tight on feats due to all of the MC's, and might have to drop some of it's potential. Another thing you could add is a Master's Blade so you could potentially add in another stance to the character, and because eternal seeker can make it so you can retrain to poach from other classes I'm sure you could find another stance that can add more speed.

Laserlight
2014-07-01, 12:36 PM
No, he MC'd Rouge.

"Red ones go faster"

eggabubu8e
2014-07-01, 03:30 PM
Actually I can squeeze another point out to make 28 speed. We already have used stances and rages, but what about forms? Instead of Mc'ing Rouge you Mc Warden, granted you do lose the speed boost from Risky Shift, but hear me out. Then instead of taking the PP Wildrunner, you take Horned Champion. Again you lose another 2 points from the wildrunners path feature, but you still have access to swift panthers rage and you can now take the daily Form of the Leaping Stag, which gives you a +4 bonus to speed. Let's look at the math.
27-3=24 24+4=28 28>27
I think we have our winner.

GPuzzle
2014-07-01, 04:02 PM
Actually, Vryloka Bard/Horned Champion/Eternal Seeker can get that to another extreme.

First, MC Rogue for Risky Shift, MC Warden for Horned Champion, MC Sorcerer for Staff Proficiency and Spark Form, MC Ranger for Ranger's Agility, at Eternal Seeker, take, Swift Panther's Rage, Expeditious Stride and Longstrider.

Second, take Boots of Speed, Star Opal Ring, Master's Blade and Hellfire Staff.

Third, take Arcane Admixture (Fire, Spark Form), Long Step and Fleet Footed.

Enter Ranger's Agility's stance, use the Master's Blade Daily Power, activate Longstrider's stance, use Expeditious Stride - your speed is now 18. Activate Form of Leaping Stag and Swift Panther's Rage. Your speed is now 24. Since you'll be shifting 24+6 squares, you reach a total of 30 squares shifted in a single round.

Can we get any faster?

windgate
2014-07-01, 04:32 PM
There is a thread on the Char op forums for a mostly class independant build that could shift/teleport itself and an ally over 100+ squares on a single turn (200+ with an action point). Maybee apply some of the stuff there?

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/3480631

GPuzzle
2014-07-01, 04:52 PM
I know about the F-111 Interdictor, the problem is that it abuses teleports.

Unfortunately, AFAIK, you teleport towards somewhere, not through somewhere, which gets problematic with Spark Form.

And it's a single shift. It's an experiment in getting the longest shift available in the game and actually putting it to use.

Binks
2014-07-01, 04:54 PM
1. Be a Razerclaw Shifter Bard with a Spellscar who worships The Traveler (now there's typecasting :smalltongue:)
2. Be level 30 (technically doable by level 22, but assuming 30 for simplicity sake)
3. Multiclass into Sorcerer, Warden, Warlock, Avenger, Monk and the Divine Channeler multiclass feat
4. Grab Fluid Motion (Monk feat), Traveler's Celerity (Channel Divinity power replace feat), Bloodied Fleetness, Student of the Plague, and Long Step for feats
5. Paragon Path into Horned Champion
6. Epic Destiny into Prison of the Winds
7. Use daily multiclass feat to trade your level 9 daily attack for the Avenger's Avandra's Footsteps (Heroic) power (the paragon and epic also work)
8. Use utility multiclass feat to trade your level 22 utility for the Warlock's Expedient Sacrifice power
9. Use encounter multiclass feat to trade your level 7 encounter attack for the Sorcerer's Spark Form
(Feats spent - 14, or all but 4 of your feats)
10. Own Great Cat Armor (bards already have proficiency with it) and Boots of Speed

11. Start the encounter
12. Throw on all of your 'until end of encounter' speed boosts powers
13. Get bloodied
14. Use Traveler's Celerity on one turn
15. Next turn use Student of the Plague, move to optimal starting position, and use Spark Form with a net move of 33.

Calculations:
Base Speed - 6

Always Active:
Fluid Motion - +2 (Feat bonus)
Bloodied Fleetness - +1 (untyped bonus, must be bloodied)
Long Step - +1 shift (untyped bonus)
Great Cat Armor - +1 shift (untyped bonus)
Boots of Speed - +2 (Item bonus)
Essence of Heur-Ket (Prison of the Winds 21 class feature) - +2 (untyped Bonus)

= Speed 15

End of Encounter Powers:
Razorclaw Shifting - +2 (untyped bonus, minor action, lasts until end of encounter)
Avandra's Footsteps (Heroic) - +3 (Power bonus, standard action, lasts until end of encounter)
Form of the Leaping Stag - +4 (untyped bonus, minor action, lasts until end of encounter)
Expedient Sacrifice - +4 (untyped bonus, minor action, lasts until end of encounter)

= Speed 28

Short Term Powers:
Student of the Plague - +1 (untyped bonus, minor action, lasts until end of turn)
Traveler's Celerity - +2 (untyped bonus, minor action, lasts until end of next turn)

= Speed 31

Spark Form - +2 (untyped bonus) for attack

= Effective speed of 33

Not 100% sure it's all legal (don't have time to check the CB) but it looks like it checks out.

Daracaex
2014-07-01, 06:45 PM
Assuming a turn takes six seconds and a move action is approximately half that (three seconds), and one square is equal to five feet regardless of direction moved (which makes geometry in 4e very interesting, I might add. Pi in 4e is 4, for example. But I digress), the speed of a character can be found as x*5ft/3sec where x is the value of the speed stat. Converting to miles per hour, we get 1.13636...*x mi/hr. A normal character with speed 6 takes a move action and moves 6.8 mi/hr. The character you've created with speed 33 moves at 37.5 mi/hr. Think it's possible to get a character to highway speeds? :smalltongue:

Have you looked at elements that trigger off crits? Like, the storm sorcerer in my game can fly her speed upon landing a crit, so that may increase the speed by a very large amount given targets to crit.

GPuzzle
2014-07-01, 07:03 PM
Assuming a turn takes six seconds and a move action is approximately half that (three seconds), and one square is equal to five feet regardless of direction moved (which makes geometry in 4e very interesting, I might add. Pi in 4e is 4, for example. But I digress), the speed of a character can be found as x*5ft/3sec where x is the value of the speed stat. Converting to miles per hour, we get 1.13636...*x mi/hr. A normal character with speed 6 takes a move action and moves 6.8 mi/hr. The character you've created with speed 33 moves at 37.5 mi/hr. Think it's possible to get a character to highway speeds? :smalltongue:

Have you looked at elements that trigger off crits? Like, the storm sorcerer in my game can fly her speed upon landing a crit, so that may increase the speed by a very large amount given targets to crit.

No, I think it's a separate instance. AFAIK, it's gotta be part of the "shift your speed+2".

And it'd be awesome if we could create Speedy Gonzalez on 4e.

eggabubu8e
2014-07-01, 10:55 PM
@binks
I shifter Bard isn't playable at all until Eternal Seeker at level 21. Besides there are a few things with that build that look like you may be bending a few rules, but otherwise excellent work on finding so many speed boosters.

@GPuzzle
You forgot Great Cat Armor so you total speed should reach 31, and this build has the benefit of being playable.:smallbiggrin:

Echobeats
2014-07-02, 12:57 PM
We all seem to be using a single move action. But you can have two move actions in a turn (or three if you action point). I assume a lot of these powers are encounter, daily or 1/round. How many squares can you move in one turn if you spend two move actions? What about one move followed by a charge?

GPuzzle
2014-07-02, 01:12 PM
Weren't we trying to hit as many people as possible with Spark Form, therefore it must be the "shift your speed+2"?

Echobeats
2014-07-02, 03:10 PM
Weren't we trying to hit as many people as possible with Spark Form, therefore it must be the "shift your speed+2"?

Ah, didn't know what that power did; thought it was just "shift your speed +2" based on the wording of the OP.

Still, it'd be interesting to know what the max movement in one turn is, assuming you want to attack at the end of it.

GPuzzle
2014-07-02, 03:31 PM
Ah, didn't know what that power did; thought it was just "shift your speed +2" based on the wording of the OP.

Still, it'd be interesting to know what the max movement in one turn is, assuming you want to attack at the end of it.

Given what we've achieved so far, and the Boots of Caiphon+Ring of Free Time with Master of Moments+Revenant Cheese, using two APs?

It'd say something like 260 squares, maybe 300. Still need to run the calculations, though.

Inevitability
2014-07-03, 01:42 AM
Isn't there a sorcerer power that lets them transform into a dragon with a higher speed than your own? Wyrm form or something. A base speed of 10 should be preferable over one of 7, shouldn't it?

eggabubu8e
2014-07-03, 10:24 AM
The attack Wyrm Form is a sorcerer lv29 daily that has a polymorph affect. Now because our build requires the lv 20 daily from the Warden PP that also has the polymorph keyword we can't have both, because you can't have two polymorph affects at the same time. And Wyrm Form only changes your speed to 8 so it's a +1 that we can't use.
The speed only boost to 10 for the fly speed, and since Spark Form requires you actually move through the square we can't use the fly speed.

Yakk
2014-07-03, 11:06 AM
If you have a fly speed of 10, you can shift while flying, and (as far as I know) you can fly adjacent to the ground (at 0 squares of altitude)...

Epinephrine
2014-07-03, 01:20 PM
you can fly adjacent to the ground (at 0 squares of altitude)...

What differentiates this from walking? The flight rules talk about moving "through the air," and moving at altitude 0 is (in my mind) indistinguishable from moving on the ground. I was never clear on whether the rules actually allow flight at altitude 0; given that you become immune to ground terrain when you fly, I was under the impression that you'd need to be a bit higher (altitude 1) to get that immunity.

masteraleph
2014-07-03, 01:30 PM
What differentiates this from walking? The flight rules talk about moving "through the air," and moving at altitude 0 is (in my mind) indistinguishable from moving on the ground. I was never clear on whether the rules actually allow flight at altitude 0; given that you become immune to ground terrain when you fly, I was under the impression that you'd need to be a bit higher (altitude 1) to get that immunity.

Mostly that it's flying, so your Pixie can move 6 instead of 4.

Yakk
2014-07-03, 03:55 PM
Being knocked prone does different things to flying creatures as well.

Difficult Terrain is presumed to be "hard to walk on", so just floating off the ground is "enough".

eggabubu8e
2014-07-03, 08:03 PM
The Warden polymorph gives us +4 speed
The Sorcerer polymorph gives us +3 speed even when bending the rules a little.
You can only have one benefit.
I'm pretty sure that makes it clear to everyone that the Sorcerer daily shouldn't and can't be used.

GPuzzle
2014-07-03, 09:46 PM
The Warden polymorph gives us +4 speed
The Sorcerer polymorph gives us +3 speed even when bending the rules a little.
You can only have one benefit.
I'm pretty sure that makes it clear to everyone that the Sorcerer daily shouldn't and can't be used.

Actually...

The Sorcerer polymorph makes us Huge (which means we can cover more ground) and allows us to take the Wildrunner Paragon Path, which increases our speed to a +5, while getting us huge.

That's pretty cool.

And it reduces the number of multiclasses, which is nice.

Daracaex
2014-07-04, 05:24 AM
Actually...

The Sorcerer polymorph makes us Huge (which means we can cover more ground) and allows us to take the Wildrunner Paragon Path, which increases our speed to a +5, while getting us huge.

That's pretty cool.

As a DM for a sorcerer, I am now terrified of this.

GPuzzle
2014-07-04, 07:23 AM
As a DM for a sorcerer, I am now terrified of this.

Level 29 power. Everyone should be terrified of eachother by then.

eggabubu8e
2014-07-04, 01:23 PM
Actually...

That's pretty cool.

http://media.tumblr.com/e83717d66800f88b2bb0f8b989835ec7/tumblr_inline_mr2c9yo6701r1ug9n.gif

WoAh MoThEr****In MiRaClEs