PDA

View Full Version : Sandstorm, Stormwrack, etc....

Pauwel
2007-02-26, 11:31 AM
I've considered running some seafaring campaigns as well as running campaigns in desert settings, and while these books look interesting and all, I hate GM'ing Dungeons and Dragons and I don't play it very often either.

So... are these books worth it if you play other systems than DnD?

ZekeArgo
2007-02-26, 11:47 AM
I've considered running some seafaring campaigns as well as running campaigns in desert settings, and while these books look interesting and all, I hate GM'ing Dungeons and Dragons and I don't play it very often either.

So... are these books worth it if you play other systems than DnD?

Um... not really. The rules/abilities/whatnot in them are designed for DnD specifically. I mean sure you could make use of the flavor stuff in the books, but that kinda seems like a waste of money to me.

pestilenceawaits
2007-02-26, 01:45 PM
I think you could use the themes and base line rules for another setting by converting them over. over all though they are pretty well entrenched in d20.

oriong
2007-02-26, 01:47 PM
From what I understand they primarily focus on mechanics, not on actual ecology and environment design.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-26, 01:48 PM
If you want seafaring gaming, play 7th Sea.

Thomas
2007-02-26, 01:49 PM
Absolutely, unequivocably not. They're total D&D books, with D&D-specific mechanics for environmental conditions, D&D combat rules for terrain, and 75% of the books taken up by D&D spells, monsters, races, and prestige classes.

GURPS sourcebooks (notoriously useful for games in any and all systems, being 90% fluff over 10% mechanics) they ain't.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-02-26, 01:55 PM
While some D&D sourcebooks have a lot of environment, flavor, and such (notably the older AD&D sourcebooks, actually - Planescape literature is still useful despite the mechanics all being outdated) the environment series are not among them. I'm sure there's a nautical GURPS book out there somewhere.

oriong
2007-02-26, 02:04 PM
I was wondering that myself, let me see....

GURPS Swashbucklers seems like it would be the best fit. don't know much about the content though.