PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Optimizing a sub-optimal Summoner build

Starcofski
2014-06-30, 10:19 PM
Hey guys, so I decided to post here because I had a concept I wanted to execute, and I wasn't sure if I had the easiest way yet (researched some stuff, this was the best I could come up with as the other options I found involved magical armor or race-specific classes).

The concept is literally taking a fighter, giving him some buff spells, and then doubling his action economy. "Tag-Teaming", as it were.

For a main chassis, I chose the normal Summoner. The Synthesist doesn't really fit the bill, as I wanted two turns for this setup.

Since the concept revolved around a front-liner, I needed heavy armor and martial weaponry. But I still needed to be able to cast.

Considering that spellcasting is a side dish (instead of the usual entreé), I was willing to sacrifice going full caster.

So the build I came up with was Summoner 1/ Duskblade 1/ Fighter 2.

Summoner as the initial because it's the main class, Duskblade as a 1 level dip because, unlike the other options, this was a non-prestige which also gave a BAB. The Fighter CAN be a one level dip, but I figured for all the feats this build would need, getting the extra bonus feat could be worth the second level. In either case, I won't reach the Twin Eidolon ability, but going straight Summoner 20 would make this concept somewhat squishy.

So by combining the Duskblade's Armored Mage feature with two iterations of the Battle Caster feat (Complete Arcane) from the fighter, as well as armor proficiencies, by my understanding this means I have all that I need.

Is there anything I did wrong? Would this be valid in Pathfinder/3.5 (seeing that it takes pieces from both that don't appear in the other).