PDA

View Full Version : [3.5+PF] Reaching out to catch the sun: Ways to mimic sunlight?

deuxhero
2014-06-30, 11:18 PM
When reading Pallavi of Nirvana’s Blossoming (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/masterpieces/pallavi-of-nirvana-s-blossoming-dance) I read

The divine sunlight acts as true daylight and affects creatures damaged or destroyed by such light.
And noticed I couldn't think of a single other effect in PF or 3.5 that worked as actual sunlight for such effects. Are there any others?

SweaterKittens
2014-06-30, 11:51 PM
The Sun Blade (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/specific-magic-weapons/sun-blade) magic bastard sword in Pathfinder has a once/day ability that allows it to create artificial sunlight that acts like natural sunlight. I don't know of any other effects that do that, however, and I think that's an attempt by the designers to limit the amount of abuse you can put on a creature with light sensitivity/vulnerability. I mean, Christ, if there were more spells/abilities like that, it would be a simple matter of having a wand of __ or scroll of __ on hand whenever you were fighting vampires or fighting in the Underdark.

deuxhero
2014-07-01, 12:50 AM
Didn't know they changed it in PF. Neat.

With a box
2014-07-01, 06:14 AM
how about just make a portal to in front of sun?
sunlight+fire damage?

Erik Vale
2014-07-01, 06:22 AM
I take it you don't want spells that do more to those specifically hurt by the sun or do Sunlight+Other? Because otherwise 3.5 has loads.

Psyren
2014-07-01, 09:44 AM
My problem with Pallavi is that it takes 3 full rounds to activate. Granted a vampire embroiled in combat with your fellows may not notice what you're up to until it's too late, and the radius is pretty wide - but still, it's pretty easy to interrupt or escape if they get suspicious. It's also very situational unless you know for sure you're dealing with sunlight-sensitive opponents.

Werephilosopher
2014-07-01, 11:41 AM
Expedition to Castle Ravenloft has the True Daylight ACF for Clerics, which requires giving up a domain power for the ability to spend a Turn attempt to turn a daylight spell into a 10-foot radius burst of daylight that lasts for 1d4 rounds. The problem with it, obviously, is that it sucks.

Gemini476
2014-07-01, 12:43 PM
Expedition to Castle Ravenloft has the True Daylight ACF for Clerics, which requires giving up a domain power for the ability to spend a Turn attempt to turn a daylight spell into a 10-foot radius burst of daylight that lasts for 1d4 rounds. The problem with it, obviously, is that it sucks.

Eh, it sounds alright if you're in a campaign where getting daylight could make a difference. Like when fighting Wraiths or Vampires or whatever. So it might be an OK ACF if you're in Ravenloft.

Besides, that's certainly better than some domain powers.

Kantolin
2014-07-01, 01:04 PM
The Master of Radiance from the Libris Mortis has a set of light-based abilities that do effect people as though they were true light, although I'm not completely sure if that counts.