PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Mask of Stony Demeanor questions

the_other_gm
2014-07-01, 02:01 AM
So i was looking around the interwebs a bit, working on a backup character for my Wednesday game fighter as the last few serious fights have left him rather battered, and I was thinking of a Kitsune Sorceror (what with the enchantment DC bonuses I get from my racial & favoured class) or Rogue(with the kitsune trickster archetype).

So beyond simply warping people's minds, I was looking at items and feats to help me be the best trickster I could be. The Realistic Likeness (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial-feats/realistic-likeness-kitsune)feat caught my eye immediately as it allows me to turn into anyone I've seen before. I was looking at the cheap wondrous items and found...Sleeves of Many Garments (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/sleeves-of-many-garments)! An absurdly cheap (200gp) Wrist-slot magic items that turns my clothes into any non-magical clothing!

Always be dressed for every occasion... or position! Guard, government, maid, beggar, fisherman, etc... I can, in a few actions, have the garb I want (of course I need to have seen the garb beforehand, naturally). One of the hardest things an infiltrator has to worry about is looking like he belongs where he is and this, mixed in with my natural ability to shapeshift into any specific human I've seen (Realistic Likeness, hooray!), is fantastic.

So at this point I started looking at other cheap magic items to help my "getting into places I shouldn't be" kitsune. And I found the Mask of Stony Demeanor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/m-p/mask-of-stony-demeanor). It seems to add a rather incredible amount to my bluffing ability (+10 competence!) for rather little (500gp!!!) but the "this mask transforms the wearer's face into a stone statue and its voice into an emotionless monotone. Though it allows the wearer to speak, its facial expressions and voice betray little emotion" part is a bit ambiguous.

So my question is as follows: does it turn my face into an actual "stone statue" as in, a very realistic marble (or whatnot) face or simply removes most facial tells (as it also mentions expressions, plural, something an immobile mask/statue obviously cannot do). If the latter is the case, then hooray. if the former is the case, would the mask be considered clothing that can be transformed with the sleeves? Or does my Realistic Likeness allow met to turn my kitsune stone-face into say "bob the fisherman" or "tom the guard" but with little facial tells? the monotone voice is something I'll have to live with since it's not just cosmetic in a traditional sense, but the more overt facial thing is the core of my question.

In short, how does the fluff work exactly and if the mask does apply obvious visual effects would either my natural shapeshifter capabilities allow me to hide that effect, would the magic item do so or would I need to make use of an actual spell like Disguise Self?

I'm currently at level 3 so I easily have several uses of disguise self available if I go the sorcerer route, and if I go rogue I can easily grab the "magical tail" feat to grab 2 uses of Disguise Self per day.

Malaqai
2014-07-01, 11:23 PM
I'd rule that neither the feat nor the sleeves affect the Mask. The feat changes your physical appearances which won't help with a mask; the sleeves specifically denote nonmagical clothing. You'd need Disguise Self or something similar (eg Hat of Disguise).