PDA

View Full Version : SPELL RESISTANCE[Feat]

jlousivy
2007-02-26, 12:54 PM
Spell Resistance[General]
Prerequisites: Has been subject to, and survived, a 3rd or higher level spell, Wis 13+
Benefit: You gain 10% spell resistance.
Special: this spell resistance applys to all spells that target the individual
may not be used in conjunction with any other form of SR

Greater Spell Resistance[General]
Prerequisites: Has been subject to, and survived, a 6th or higher level spell, Spell Resistance
Benefit: You gain 15% spell resistance.
Special: this spell resistance applys to all spells that target the individual
may not be used in conjunction with any other form of SR

Masterful Spell Resistance[General]
Prerequisites: Has been subject to, and survived, a 9th or higher level spell, Spell Resistance, Greater Spell Resistance
Benefit: You gain 25% spell resistance.
Special: this spell resistance applys to all spells that target the individual and may not be used in conjunction with any other form of SR

Note: this spell resistance does not apply to epic or divine ranked spellcasting.

any SR you can gain sucks, especially by the time you get it, and there are so many no save spells- this allows people to 'learn' how to defend themselves against magic, while not making them spell immune or anything.

Thoughts?

That Lanky Bugger
2007-02-26, 01:03 PM
The concept is good, but it doesn't make sense to use a new form of Spell Resistance when there's already a system in place which scales it's ability to the effectiveness of the caster. Under this rule a Balor casting a spell-like on someone with the feat is as likely to get through as a first level Wizard casting a cantrip... Which doesn't make sense.

Maybe instead use the standard SR system and have it progress from SR 13, to SR 15, to SR 17?

jlousivy
2007-02-26, 02:42 PM
I know it doesn't make any sense now that i think about it, but the current SR is too... weak. Unless multiple SR's stacked(reduce the SR for each item) spellcasters of equal level easily blow past any SR they can get. So I was just trying to think of a type of SR. I thought of scaling the percentages to the spells, but then eventually then 1st level spells would have like a 95% chance of failure

wizard hits fighter with spell while he has Spell Resistance- very good chance for wizard to affect the fighter

Fighter hits wizard with Mirror Image or Displacement or Blur or Stoneskin- Pretty good chance fighter doesn't even hit the wizard (assuming the wizard was careless enough to go toe-to-toe with the fighter)

Cybren
2007-02-26, 10:44 PM
why not make it give SR of HD + Cha mod, but have it be part of a feat chain of some sort that leads into it.

magic8BALL
2007-02-26, 10:57 PM
How about:

Aquire Spell Resistance [General]
Prerequisites: One base save of +5 or higher.
Benefit: You gain spell resistance 15.

Improved Spell Resistance [General]
Prerequisites: must have some form of spell resistance.
Benefit: You gain a +3 bonus to your spell resistance.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-02-26, 11:01 PM
Still not what jlousivy's going for, I think. Besides, HD + Cha Mod essentially gives you a Cha Bonus/20 chance for the spellcaster to fail, if he's aiming his spell at you.

Maybe have the Feat simply called Spell Resistance? It begins by giving you an SR of 17, and each additional time you take it it grants a +2 or +3 bonus to that SR?

jlousivy
2007-02-26, 11:29 PM
there's an epic feat that grants +2 SR... so i dont know how balancing it is, but a way to get SR should be there....

rob
2007-02-27, 12:38 AM
Well, look at the prereqs for the feat - lets assume that spell resistance should give you a 25% chance to resist a spell.

Minimum level 5 caster can cast a level 3 spell; so SR 10?
Minimum level 11 caster for level 6 spell; so SR 16.
Minimum level 17 caster for level 9 spell; so SR 22.

If you want to stage it a little to reflect the bonuses an average caster would have, may be stage it up by +2/+4?

Under no circumstances do I think it would be unbalancing, it just probably wouldn't be that useful for melee combatants, who have many other things they need to use their feats on.

Icewalker
2007-02-27, 03:05 AM
I like the idea of getting spell resistance, and I like your prerequisites, but I agree with the several above people saying use their written up SR instead of a percentage like they used in first edition. that way it scales to spell power.

Szatany
2007-02-27, 04:36 AM
How about:

Arcane Spell Resistance
Preq: Int 13
Benefit: You gain SR equal to 10 + your character level against arcane spells.
You suffer a -2 penalty on caster level when casting arcane spells or using arcane spell-completion items.

Divine Spell Resistance
Preq: Wis 13
Benefit: You gain SR equal to 10 + your character level against divine spells.
You suffer a -2 penalty on caster level when casting divine spells or using divine spell-completion items.

Monstrous Spell Resistance
Preq: Cha 13
Benefit: You gain SR equal to 10 + your character level against spell-like abilities.
You suffer a -2 penalty on caster level when using spell-like abilities.

Power Resistance
Preq: Int 13
Benefit: You gain PR equal to 10 + your character level against manifesters' powers.
You suffer a -2 penalty on manifester level when manifesting powers or using power-completion items.

Psi Resistance
Preq: Cha 13
Benefit: You gain PR equal to 10 + your character level against psi-like abilities.
You suffer a -2 penalty on manifester level when manifesting psi-like abilities.

Supernatural Resonance
Preq: None
Benefit: Your spell and power resistances (if any) improve by +1 each. Your penalities to caster and manifester levels (if any) increase by -1 each.
Special: You can take this feat more than once. Its effects stack.

Black Mage
2007-02-27, 04:41 PM
there's an epic feat that grants +2 SR... so i dont know how balancing it is, but a way to get SR should be there....

That feat can be taken multiple times, the +3 spell resistance feat can only be taken once from what I can tell.

The current system for spell resistance is pathetic...who would pay the 90,000 gold for a mantle of spell resistance that gives you what...17 or 19 spell resistance? By the time you can afford that, anything you fight that uses spells of any kind should be able to break through that with ease.

Indon
2007-02-27, 04:46 PM
Personally, I'd do something more like this:

Spell Resistance
Prereq: Must have successfully resisted a third or higher level spell, Wis 13+.
You gain Spell Resistance equal to 5+your total class levels. If you already have greater spell resistance than this by virtue of a different feat or class ability, add 5 to the spell resistance you gain from that feat or class ability.

And I'd make successive feats proceed to +10, +15, etc. It might be better as total HD than total class levels, though.