PDA

View Full Version : Optimization 3.5 Druid shapeshift variant

Walkintherain
2014-07-01, 06:10 AM
Hello playgrounders, i need your help again :)

I asked for a class suggestion some days ago, and i had lots and lots of ideas from you. What i really really do want to play is the shapeshifter druid variant, the one from PHII. I know is not as good as the wild form skill, but it would be funnier in my opinion :) So, how to optimize it? I can use all the manuals of the 3.5ed and any class/race combo. I had 2 ideas:

1) Druid shapeshifter 1 / warblade 3 / Warshaper 2 (CW) / Bloodclaw Master ? (Tob) / Weretouched 5 (Eberron campaign adventure set)
The race would be shifter (eberron campaign adventure set) with the subtype razorclaw (+2St and 2 1d4 claws when shifting).

2) Druid Shapeshifter 1 / Barbarian ? / Warshaper 2 / ???
Maybe human or Half-Orc or something else. The predator form of the shifter is fast enough to let me give up fast movement of the barbarian in order to get some spirit totem (CC), maybe the wolf one to stay in theme.

I would prefer the second build, but i really don't know how to enhance my damage output. Is there a way for me to have weapons in shapeshifter's predator form? Shoul i just enhance the bite attack to the maximum? What feat would you suggest me? And last, is there a way to bring armor in my shifted form?

Thank you a lot in advance ^_^

Walkintherain
2014-07-01, 09:40 AM
I just spoke with my DM, he said the second is better for the campaign, so i will go with druid shapeshifter/ barbarian.
Can someone suggest me a good progression? (feat, PrC, etc.)

Ruethgar
2014-07-01, 10:10 AM
I can't for the life of me find any of my builds that use the Shapeshift Druid and Barbarian. I mostly focused on unarmed strikes with them, taking City Brawler Spirit Lion Totem Dashing Step Barbarian and Superior Unarmed Strike as well as Fist of the Forest for the Con to AC and Icerager for some nice things. Martial Chaos Monk is a nice two level dip, especially if you have some high level or massive prereq fighter feats you want to grab early, but in most of my 20lvl builds I tried to avoid the monk to keep the higher unarmed advance rate. In E6 builds I just went for it. I also liked the proposal of the Deadly Tippy Hunter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?324826-Druid-variant-question) for giggles. Perhaps no optimal, but if you weren't planning on using the spells much anyway it is a decent option, if approved, for your shapeshifting barbarian.

Falcon X
2014-07-01, 12:48 PM
You seem to be interested in Warshaper/Natural Weapon OP. Check out a good Warshaper handbook: http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/3180651

It also may not be optimization, but flavorwise, this is a great idea:

Druidic Avenger (UA)/Shapeshifer Druid (PH2) combo
- Is effectively a druid-themed Barbarian with full spell progression.
- Qualifies for Warshaper and most Barbarian AND Druid prestige classes.
- Fights using two templates. You shapeshift and add the animal template to your stats. Then you rage and add that template to boost you further. Cast buff spells before-hand and have some battlefield control ready for maximum effectiveness.

Walkintherain
2014-07-01, 01:53 PM
Thank you both for those good suggestions :) I have just one more question:
with the shapeshift's predator form i receive a 1d6 bite attack. A part from "improve natural attack" how can i enhance its damage?