PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed The Vorr: What should its' actual CR be if played as written?

Socksy
2014-07-01, 06:43 AM
I'm not talking about its' stealthing or higher INT than a lot of monsters at CR 4 or its' tendency to work in groups and be able to spam trip/AoO on everything.

I'm talking about the DR 50/+5 this thing gets, and the fact nothing says it can't attack while in that form. For comparison, a deity of rank 15 gets 50/+4.

What would its' actual CR be, given it's an ambush-type monster and would logically shift into said form before attacking?

Bronk
2014-07-01, 07:02 AM
I'm not talking about its' stealthing or higher INT than a lot of monsters at CR 4 or its' tendency to work in groups and be able to spam trip/AoO on everything.

I'm talking about the DR 50/+5 this thing gets, and the fact nothing says it can't attack while in that form. For comparison, a deity of rank 15 gets 50/+4.

What would its' actual CR be, given it's an ambush-type monster and would logically shift into said form before attacking?

I don't know... it doesn't flat out say that they can't attack in that form, but on the other hand it does say they transform into a 'living shadow'. Is that like a shadow (the incorporeal undead) only alive? It does seem to have some traits in common with incorporeality when in that form, but not all.

Also, that shadow form only lasts for 10 minutes per day. That can be a crucial amount of time, I guess, even if they can't attack, since they can just keep turning it on and off and sneak attacking.

I think I would revise the CR upwards a bit since the thing has a lot of crazy 3.0 powers, 3HD and Vultivors get a level adjustment of +4. Maybe CR6.