PDA

View Full Version : Name My Hells!

Dimers
2014-07-01, 10:04 AM
I'm trying to come up with non-silly names for three types of demon-infested awful places. Ideally, each name should start with a different letter, and none of them should have un'nece'ssary a'po'strophes or unpronounceable piles of consonants.

EDIT: The hells are invading the normal world; they'll be used as settings little and late in the game, but their minions will constantly be attacking the players.

Very rough guideline for the traits/inhabitants of these three places:
Hell 1 -- icy, heavy, painful, weakening
Hell 2 -- smoke, fire, hails of stone, rage, blasting noise
Hell 3 -- dark, silence, fear, disease, parasites and things that use their victims as breeding grounds, despair, disdain

NAME. THAT. HELL!

Pokonic
2014-07-01, 10:09 AM
Go with the classics, I say.

Hell 1 - Cocytus.

Hell 2 - Perdition.

Hell 3 - Sheol.

TandemChelipeds
2014-07-01, 10:16 AM
This might inspire you, both for names and for details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naraka_(Buddhism)

gc25774
2014-07-01, 12:52 PM
My two cents. I'd name them as such. Hope it helped.

Hell 1 - Jotunn

Hell 2 - Brann

Hell 3 - Galnden

MrNobody
2014-07-01, 01:41 PM
If you don't want to rely on "classic" names you can mix up some terms and come up with some pretentious latin-like names.

H 1 - Glaeiųlat (from latin Glacies [ice] and Eiulat [verb Eiulo "sceaming for pain"]
H 2 - Maetėgnar (from latin Mons aeternis ignibus ardens [mountain burning with eternal fire, i used the first letters of each word].
H 3 - Sėlnoclor (from latin Silentium [silence], Noctis [night] and dolor [pain and/or despair]).

Hope you like these names :smallsmile:

Cyanide
2014-07-01, 05:08 PM
I would personally go for something close to a "talking name", where the phonetics of the name itself gives you an indication of what to expect, maybe pairing with a title, too, if that's your thing. Either that or try and get inspiration from other languages, they often have exotic and very specific names.

1st Hell ) Khalakor, the hard and exhaling sounds recall both cracking ice and someone gasping for air (borrowed from either quenya or sindarin, can't remember which one)

2nd Hell ) Zagoratsya, (this should (and feel free to correct me, russian speakers everywhere) be russian inspired, something meaning combust or conflagrate. It also has a nice low, booming sound which reminds me of the muffled rumbling of a volcano about to explode.

3rd Hell ) Kaamos , finnish for polar night, the time when the sun never rises from the horizon. A word tailored to describe a cold, neverending night seems almost to be made for this kind of hell.

My try here, see what you think of it!

Thrudd
2014-07-01, 08:00 PM
1. Hell of the upside down hanging sinners!
2. Hell of boiling oil
3. Hell of being skinned alive!

Dimers
2014-07-01, 10:31 PM
I would personally go for something close to a "talking name" ... 1st Hell ) Khalakor, the hard and exhaling sounds recall both cracking ice and someone gasping for air

Like onomotopeia, but less blatant? I like the idea, and I like that name. Hell #1, sold, to Cyanide!

H 2 - Maetėgnar (from latin Mons aeternis ignibus ardens [mountain burning with eternal fire, i used the first letters of each word].

With a minor modification, sufficiently boomy to fit the "talking name" concept: Mawtignar. Hell #2, sold, to MrNobody!

It's hard to come up with a talking name for a place that's deadly silent ... :smallconfused: Should also end in R, given the other two names. "Feh" is a quiet sort of syllable and carries implications of disease, between 'fetid' and 'festering' ... but I can't just use the word "fester" for Hell #3 ... Anybody want to take a crack at a something for Hell3 that includes "Feh" or is otherwise a good talking name?

Thanks for all contributions so far. I spent most of an hour walking through Wikipedia's various Hells this morning, and it was educational as well as fun!

THEChanger
2014-07-02, 12:01 AM
Maybe the third hell doesn't have a name. Or, not one that can be spoken as such. Every time someone tries, there's just a silence. Everyone who is in hearing range knows that person means the third one, the silence somehow containing that information like a sound would. Or maybe the name of the third hell is kept a secret, because merely speaking it draws its essence to wherever the speaker happens to be, perhaps what allows the forces of the last hell to enter the material plane. And its name is the screeching sounds of ten thousand burrowing insects, the moaning of diseased souls, not so much heard as felt in the bones of those around the speaker...

LimSindull
2014-07-02, 12:45 AM
Maybe the third hell doesn't have a name. Or, not one that can be spoken as such. Every time someone tries, there's just a silence. Everyone who is in hearing range knows that person means the third one, the silence somehow containing that information like a sound would. Or maybe the name of the third hell is kept a secret, because merely speaking it draws its essence to wherever the speaker happens to be, perhaps what allows the forces of the last hell to enter the material plane. And its name is the screeching sounds of ten thousand burrowing insects, the moaning of diseased souls, not so much heard as felt in the bones of those around the speaker...

I wholly agree with the above idea. (Totally thought this and then, Boom, there it was.)

However: Phenoir (pronounced: Fey New-Are) for the OP.

Averis Vol
2014-07-02, 12:50 AM
In a similar vein as MrNobody, how about the last simply being called The Pit (Puteus inhospita tristitia, meaning the pit of bleak despondency, using the first letter of each word to come up with the name)