PDA

View Full Version : Redguard Campaign

Johnjimco
2014-07-01, 02:15 PM
I've been thinking of running a campaign based on an old Elder Scrolls game called Redguard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPvEILFHewo

Did that excite and make you want to play it? If you were a player and your gm showed you that video would you be interested?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_Adventures:_Redguard

I'm planning on using second edition DND that I've modified for Elder Scrolls.

veti
2014-07-01, 05:49 PM
I haven't viewed the video, on account of being at work right now. But:

1. As an Elder Scrolls fan, I'd love to play in that setting.
2. As an old-time AD&D player, I have to question your choice of system. I can think of lots of systems that seem like a better fit. Check out Fantasy Hero, or Harnmaster. Heck, even Runequest would be closer to the Elder Scrolls feel in my mind. (Basically, a system where "active defence" is a thing, it's not just about cranking up your AC as far as you can and then forgetting about it.)

Johnjimco
2014-07-03, 02:39 PM
The reason I picked second edition is because a lot of my regular players have been playing it for years and I didn't want to force a new system onto them, though I've been having a look at the ones you suggested and Runequest seems simple enough that with a little work I could modify it and they might be interested. Maybe.

It's just that I really love Redguard's story and I want this to have the best chance possible for a good and long campaign.

LibraryOgre
2014-07-03, 04:39 PM
The reason I picked second edition is because a lot of my regular players have been playing it for years and I didn't want to force a new system onto them, though I've been having a look at the ones you suggested and Runequest seems simple enough that with a little work I could modify it and they might be interested. Maybe.

It's just that I really love Redguard's story and I want this to have the best chance possible for a good and long campaign.

He mentioned Hackmaster; there's a free PDF to get used to it, and it has some similar features.

If you're going to use 2e, though, consider how that system's treatment of magic is going to play v. the Tamriel treatment of magic. They're very different, and it may cause some gaps.

veti
2014-07-03, 06:11 PM
If you're going to use 2e, though, consider how that system's treatment of magic is going to play v. the Tamriel treatment of magic. They're very different, and it may cause some gaps.

That, and the levelling. D&D as a system makes levels all-important - basically any 3rd level character will, pretty reliably, trounce any 1st level character, and in turn they would have very little chance against a 5th level. That's true pretty much regardless of class, race and build.

Elder Scrolls isn't like that at all - levels only give (relatively) marginal gains in the character, it's the individual skills that are more important, and it's not uncommon for a character to solo someone who's twice their own level, or more.

LibraryOgre
2014-07-03, 11:26 PM
That, and the levelling. D&D as a system makes levels all-important - basically any 3rd level character will, pretty reliably, trounce any 1st level character, and in turn they would have very little chance against a 5th level. That's true pretty much regardless of class, race and build.

Elder Scrolls isn't like that at all - levels only give (relatively) marginal gains in the character, it's the individual skills that are more important, and it's not uncommon for a character to solo someone who's twice their own level, or more.

I see that as a bit less of an issue. The thing about Tamriel is the degree to which magic is the technology of the world. It's not just that almost everyone has the potential to be a spellcaster (which has varied through the series), but also the prevalence of constructed magic... potions, magic items, even spells in the early series were completely constructable. Especially in AD&D, magic was far less prevalent, and far less flexible.

(You might want to look into something like magic from the Dragonlance SAGA system; I turned it into a 3e psionics system before the original 3e Psionics Handbook was released (http://editors-wastebasket.org/nexx/tsr/3epsi.html), and you might use this as a base)

Levels can, to an extent, be finessed... a level difference in D&D means more than a level difference in Skyrim, but you also get to 80th or 90th level in Skyrim if you do everything.