PDA

View Full Version : Ring of the Golem?

Getsugaru
2014-07-01, 09:00 PM
In FrostBurn, there exists a ring known as the Ring of the White Wyrm. This ring basically functions as a "ring of white dragon abilities". This got me thinking, are there other tings like this? Rings that grant the wearer the abilities of famous "monsters", such as the other dragons, demons, golems, etc. Do such things exist? If not, what would such a ring for, say, a clay golem look like?

Hazrond
2014-07-01, 09:20 PM
Presumably it would like a simple loop of baked clay (brick essentially), as to what it would DO, suffice it to say i would rather not give a PC the magic immunity and other abilities of a clay golem, too strong for my tastes

Getsugaru
2014-07-01, 09:26 PM
Presumably it would like a simple loop of baked clay (brick essentially), as to what it would DO, suffice it to say i would rather not give a PC the magic immunity and other abilities of a clay golem, too strong for my tastes

Now would I, as a GM or a Player, feel it fair (or effective) to have that. However, one could compare it to the natural spellcasting of dragons; neither of them would be on the ring. Their other effects (icewalking, freezing fog, etc.), however, are granted by the ring. Heck, the breath weapon is granted as part of the ring's half-dragon effect, and can only be used once per transformation.

Jack_Simth
2014-07-01, 10:06 PM

Magic Immunity would be overpowered at almost any price point, but the three rounds of haste 1/day as a free action (at least one round into a battle), some magic resistance, and maybe cursed wounds wouldn't be too bad for the right price.

Getsugaru
2014-07-01, 10:57 PM
Magic Immunity would be overpowered at almost any price point, but the three rounds of haste 1/day as a free action (at least one round into a battle), some magic resistance, and maybe cursed wounds wouldn't be too bad for the right price.

Would mentioning a price range force this topic into Homebrew? The Ring of the White Wyrm was 64000.

Jack_Simth
2014-07-01, 11:10 PM
Would mentioning a price range force this topic into Homebrew? The Ring of the White Wyrm was 64000.
I'm not a mod, so I can't answer that question, but really: Does it matter?

But come to think of it, there are somewhat similar items, depending on how loose you want to be with it. Core has Celestial Armor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#celestialArmor), Demon Armor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#demonArmor), and Rhino Hide (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#rhinoHide). The Draconic Grafts in Races of the Dragon can get you Flight, DR/Magic, energy resistance, a breath weapon, Frightful Presence, enhanced senses, and some immunities... with enough of an investment.

Getsugaru
2014-07-01, 11:17 PM
Okay, enough beating around the bush. I'm basically looking for a ring that either grants the effects of or transforms me into a clay half-golem (MM2 210) while worn. From this, I would effectively gain a bonus to strength (keeping with the theme of an existing item, it would likely be a racial bonus that stacks with existing racial bonuses), the Wound trait, the 1/day Haste, the Berserk trait (maybe), and the immunity to slashing/piercing weapons. :smallamused: