PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Pathfinder Gestalt Halfling Summoner/Cavalier assistance please

DreamQuestin
2014-07-01, 09:40 PM
Greetings and good morrow folks,

I have made many characters and not had near the problems I have had wrapping my head around fleshing out Mercia Rhys Lhiadan, my now 9th level gestalt Summoner/Cavalier (order of the dragon) Emissary. She is also a Mythic Marshall. What I would really really like is not just to have you wise folks tell me what I should do with her, but if some might be so kind to help me -=understand=- how the gestalt optimization works with her so going forward I can build on her myself I would be very very grateful.

This is a table top game where pretty much any of the sourcebooks are fine. Part of the problem is that I have always played RPGs where the rules were used primarily to create the character and for battle where as this group are bordering on "rules lawyers". I do not know the rules as well as they but as long as I know them for my character I will be happy.

So, Mercia is a freed slave from House Leroung in Cheliax. Her eidolan is a Mounted dragon in training from The Summoner's Handbook named Kaida. She also has a cohort who's a pixie named Zeph (rogue)

Is there anyone who has done Pathfinder Gestalt who is willing to help me out? I can post what I have so far if there are any who would be willing to help. My DM is more than fair and will let me change things up slightly to make her more easily utilized. The others in my group are hard core min-maxers and I am afraid I am just a ROLE player.

Thank you kindly for your time :)

With a smile,
DreamQuestin

avr
2014-07-01, 11:19 PM
I haven't done gestalt in PF, but happy to help as I can.

If you're riding the eidolon that seems to make the main class feature of the cavalier (the mount) kind of redundant. Would you consider another class instead? Fighter w/tactician or loremaster archetypes would be very similar but would give you a bunch more feats to use.

& yes the character as it is would be useful to see. Some idea what definitely can't be changed would be handy.

Spore
2014-07-02, 04:35 AM
If you're riding the eidolon that seems to make the main class feature of the cavalier (the mount) kind of redundant..

You can't declare the eidolon as your mount making the cavalier even weaker. Even if your DM allows this it is wonky at best. I hope you like the Lance weapon since you will be using that to charge into battle for double damage later triple damage (this includes ALL boni). But first let us see what you'd want to do classwise.

1) Cavalier/Summoner: Not really optimal as mentioned above. Even if your DM let's you declare your eidolon as mount you effectively loose the animal companion.

2) Paladin/Summoner: GREAT Synergy. Smite Evil gets multiplied on charge/spirited charge so your first charge typically oneshots most demons and undead. Want numbers? Strength of 18 (+4 Belt), 9th level, spirited charge, power attack and a small lance doing 1d6+36 (PA +9, Str +6, +18 Smite on first attack on evil undead) times three means 3d6+108. You circumvent all DR on evil creatures. And that's not even heavily optimized using a nonmagical Lance.

3) Barbarian/Summoner: While not as defensive as the Paladin it is also not as pigeonholed in the damage department. Rage helps with your racial penalty a lot, hit dice help you survive and the saves complement the summoner ones better.

4) Ranger(Guide)/Summoner: Not as good but your favored enemy/ranger's focus works wonders into charge. Gives you more skill points and complements your summoner save as well.

You might even consider clerics, inquisitors and oracles although I feel that is too heavy on the buffing side.

DreamQuestin
2014-07-03, 07:30 PM
Ok, I can't change her class or her mount at this point any longer. I may have to tinker her skills some, the DM has been using spellcraft for identifying spells and has since learned it should be Knowledge Arcana.

Anyways, here is Mercia. I do appreciate any assistance.

Halfling Female 35 years Chaldira Zuzaristan (deity)
Level 9 Summoner/ Level 9 Cavalier Order of the Dragon/Emmissary/Mythic Marshal

Stats (all adjustments included)

Str: 14
Dex: 20
Con: 15
Int: 18
Wis: 12
Cha: 20

Feats & Features

Fleet of Foot Ride By Attack
Fearless (+2 to saves vs fear, stacks with luck) Wheeling Charge
Halfling Luck Leadership
Keen Senses Mounted Combat
Well Informed Mobility
Beast Bond Skill Focus (handle animal)
Proficient with Light and Medium armour, shields (exc tower)
Proficient simple, martial & halfling weapons Freed Slave
+3 on Survivial checks for food/weather/water 1/day instead of Maker's call - Transposition
Aid Another Strategy
Challenge Hard to Kill
Mount Surge
Cavalier's Charge Mythic Pierce Darkness
Expert Trainer Decisive Strike
Spell Focus (Conjuration) Clarion Call

Skills
Acrobatics 3 (ranks 0)
Appraise 4 (ranks 0)
Bluff 18 (ranks 4)
Climb 0
Craft: Alchemy 4 (ranks 0)
Diplomacy 24 (ranks 9)
Disguise 8 (ranks 0)
Escape Artist 3 (ranks 0)
Fly 12 (ranks 6)
Handle Animal 21 (ranks 6)
Heal 1 (ranks 0)
Intimidate 17 (ranks 3)
Kn: Nobility 13 (ranks 2)
Kn: Planes 12 (ranks 5)
Linguistics 8 (ranks 1)
Perception 16 (ranks 7)
Perform 8 (ranks 0)
Ride 17 (ranks 8)
Sense Motive 10 (ranks 3)
Spellcraft 17 (ranks 8)
Stealth 6 (ranks 1)
Survival 8 (ranks 1)
Swim 0
Use Magical Device 19 (ranks 8)

Armour
Mithral (elven) Chain

Weapons
+2 Warhammer attk bon +12/+7 dam 1d6+5
+1 Repeating Crossbow +11/+6 dam 1d8
Lance +12/+7 dam 1d6+3 (X3)

Spore
2014-07-04, 05:19 AM
You take the better BAB on gestalt.

You miscalculated your attack bonus for the crossbow. It's BAB + Dex + 1 magic + 1 size = +16. You're not proficient so you are at +12. Also remember your banner morale bonus. This also means your hammer and lance are at +14 and +12 respectively.

avr
2014-07-04, 06:25 AM
That's quite hard to read so I may be missing something. I'm not sure you have all the feats you're entitled to, there should be 5 (levels 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9) plus your bonus feats - Mounted Combat, Mobility and Trick Riding, and one more combat feat. Also Skill Focus (Handle Animal) seems truly unnecessary for someone who rides an eidolon they have perfect control over.

I think your only feats recorded are Mounted Combat, Mobility, Ride-By Attack, Wheeling Charge, Spell Focus and Leadership, you have 2-3 more to choose depending on whether you drop the skill focus, and Trick Riding.

I recommend Spirited Charge & Augment Summoning. The first improves your lance charge to x3 rather than x2 damage, the second means that when you summon monsters via spells or the summoner class ability they get some significant bonuses. Note that if you get the Summon Eidolon spell you can (briefly) apply these bonuses to your eidolon.

That leaves you with 0-1 more. Power Attack is a basic melee feat you're missing. It combines especially well with a lance charge as well.

For later feats you will probably find it useful to pick up an item creation feat to help cut the cost of equipping both your character and your eidolon, and then Extend Spell to help buff in advance or Superior Summoning to get more more monsters when you summon stuff. Risky Striker is a halfling racial feat which would make that lance charge even scarier.

Is 'Aid Another Strategy' your Order abilities Aid Allies and Strategy?

avr
2014-07-04, 06:48 AM
Oh yeah, you may choose to get some Summon Monster spells since you can't use your class ability while the eidolon is summoned. I suspect that your eidolon will be around most of the time.

DreamQuestin
2014-07-05, 03:18 PM
Oh yeah, you may choose to get some Summon Monster spells since you can't use your class ability while the eidolon is summoned. I suspect that your eidolon will be around most of the time.

I do have a couple summon monster spells to hand, but have not used them as yet. When attacking, Mercia has two attacks and Kaida (my Eidolan) has three and then the pixie has two so that is a lot of smacks :)

With a smile,
DreamQuestin

DreamQuestin
2014-07-05, 03:34 PM
That's quite hard to read so I may be missing something.
It is ugly, and I apologize. I confess I currently use SPathfinder core to create Mercia as a Summoner and a separate Mercia as a Cavalier, then combine them in Yet Another Character Generator. It is really brutal for me and I get so confused. That is why I hoped to break her down and have someone hand hold me some. Not fair to ask, I know but I am a roleplayer and don't claim to have the gestalt rules down enough to do Pathfinder Gestalt number crunching :).

I'm not sure you have all the feats you're entitled to, there should be 5 (levels 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9) plus your bonus feats - Mounted Combat, Mobility and Trick Riding, and one more combat feat. Also Skill Focus (Handle Animal) seems truly unnecessary for someone who rides an eidolon they have perfect control over.
I had originally thought to go with the Order of the Paw and use a dog for a mount, but the DM suggested I might want to look at using my Eidolon. Never changed the skill focus (handle animal) from that. That is one I could fix.

I think your only feats recorded are Mounted Combat, Mobility, Ride-By Attack, Wheeling Charge, Spell Focus and Leadership, you have 2-3 more to choose depending on whether you drop the skill focus, and Trick Riding.
Trick Riding and Mobility are bonuses from Emissary archetype.

I recommend Spirited Charge & Augment Summoning. The first improves your lance charge to x3 rather than x2 damage, the second means that when you summon monsters via spells or the summoner class ability they get some significant bonuses. Note that if you get the Summon Eidolon spell you can (briefly) apply these bonuses to your eidolon.
There was an omission on that list, she does have Augment Summoning. Spirited Charge is an awesome addition, thank you :)

That leaves you with 0-1 more. Power Attack is a basic melee feat you're missing. It combines especially well with a lance charge as well.
My Eidolon has Power Attack :) so makes sense Mercia should. I will add that.

For later feats you will probably find it useful to pick up an item creation feat to help cut the cost of equipping both your character and your eidolon, and then Extend Spell to help buff in advance or Superior Summoning to get more more monsters when you summon stuff. Risky Striker is a halfling racial feat which would make that lance charge even scarier.
I haven't seen Risky Striker, I will certainly look that one up.

Is 'Aid Another Strategy' your Order abilities Aid Allies and Strategy?
Yes I put those as if column but it didn't stay that way when I posted. I am sorry about that.

Thank you so very much for your assistance!

With a smile,
DreamQuestin

DreamQuestin
2014-07-05, 03:43 PM
You take the better BAB on gestalt.

You miscalculated your attack bonus for the crossbow. It's BAB + Dex + 1 magic + 1 size = +16. You're not proficient so you are at +12. Also remember your banner morale bonus. This also means your hammer and lance are at +14 and +12 respectively.
I no longer have the banner morale bonus (Emmisary trades banner for Mobility) Thank you for catching the BAB though! That will be a great boon!

With a smile,
DreamQuestin

DreamQuestin
2014-07-05, 03:48 PM
You can't declare the eidolon as your mount making the cavalier even weaker. Even if your DM allows this it is wonky at best. I hope you like the Lance weapon since you will be using that to charge into battle for double damage later triple damage (this includes ALL boni). But first let us see what you'd want to do classwise.

1) Cavalier/Summoner: Not really optimal as mentioned above. Even if your DM let's you declare your eidolon as mount you effectively loose the animal companion.
Mercia is stuck with her class now :) as un-optimal as she may be ;). She was capricious rather than wise in choosing her Path :)

2) Paladin/Summoner: GREAT Synergy. Smite Evil gets multiplied on charge/spirited charge so your first charge typically oneshots most demons and undead. Want numbers? Strength of 18 (+4 Belt), 9th level, spirited charge, power attack and a small lance doing 1d6+36 (PA +9, Str +6, +18 Smite on first attack on evil undead) times three means 3d6+108. You circumvent all DR on evil creatures. And that's not even heavily optimized using a nonmagical Lance.

3) Barbarian/Summoner: While not as defensive as the Paladin it is also not as pigeonholed in the damage department. Rage helps with your racial penalty a lot, hit dice help you survive and the saves complement the summoner ones better.

4) Ranger(Guide)/Summoner: Not as good but your favored enemy/ranger's focus works wonders into charge. Gives you more skill points and complements your summoner save as well.

You might even consider clerics, inquisitors and oracles although I feel that is too heavy on the buffing side.
I will keep these in mind if Mercia gets killed :( or if I have opportunity to play in another Pathfinder Gestalt game ;). I do rather wish we could have started at a low level (even 1) so that the process came in little steps so it might be easier to wrap my brain around :)

Thank you so much for your input. I so truly appreciate it

With a smile,
DreamQuestin