PDA

View Full Version : spam spall - a matamagic for mailman

With a box
2014-07-02, 08:50 AM
Spam Spell [Metamagic]:
You can cast a spell that repeats on the following rounds as long as you keep concentrating.
Prerequisite: Repeat Spell
Benefit: If you keep concentrating on a spammed spell you cast, you automatically cast that spell again this round. You may hold the spamed spell only for a brief time (no more than 1 round per caster level), and you must concentrate on doing so, or else the spamed spell is terminated. A spammed spell uses up a spell slot ??? levels higher than the spell's actual level. A spell whose casting time is more than 1 full-round action cannot be spammed.

Special:
You can keep concentrated up to 1 round/CL.
the target must be within close range from last position
Witch slot this matamagic should use?
+5?
Edit . Could you fix the defuntional words for me?

qwertyu63
2014-07-02, 09:16 AM
Spam Spell [Metamagic]:
You can cast a spell that repeats on the following rounds as long as you keep concentrating.
Benefit: If you keep concentrating on a spammed spell you cast last round, you automatically cast that spell again this round. A spammed spell uses up a spell slot ??? levels higher than the spell's actual level. A spell whose casting time is more than 1 full-round action cannot be spammed.

I'd say +5 or +6 levels.

Veklim
2014-07-02, 05:55 PM
Holy crapmonkeys?! You serious.....? +6 at the bare minimum if there's no other limitation, besides the shenanigans possible with using mnemonic enhancer for ridonculous numbers of 3rd level spells every day, there's the consideration that divine meta could make a heal/harm cannon pretty damned quickly...that's with no optimising or much thought. Add arcane thesis, a little high arcana and some imagination and you've got a mass SoD every turn, ad infinitum (essentially). Honestly, just don't. Unless you put more restrictions in place an inventive player can sidestep a large amount of the cost if it need be done only once or twice a day, and you'll be horrified at the things a half-competent fullcaster player can think of given a little time and some caffeine... o_O

With a box
2014-07-02, 06:09 PM
Holy crapmonkeys?! You serious.....? +6 at the bare minimum if there's no other limitation, besides the shenanigans possible with using mnemonic enhancer for ridonculous numbers of 3rd level spells every day, there's the consideration that divine meta could make a heal/harm cannon pretty damned quickly...that's with no optimising or much thought. Add arcane thesis, a little high arcana and some imagination and you've got a mass SoD every turn, ad infinitum (essentially). Honestly, just don't. Unless you put more restrictions in place an inventive player can sidestep a large amount of the cost if it need be done only once or twice a day, and you'll be horrified at the things a half-competent fullcaster player can think of given a little time and some caffeine... o_O
Sorry, i forget to add it's up to 1 round/CL and the target must be within close range from last position

ddude987
2014-07-03, 07:52 AM
So to clarify my understanding, you can continue to recast the spell every round until you reach your caster level?

With a box
2014-07-03, 08:05 AM
So to clarify my understanding, you can continue to recast the spell every round until you reach your caster level?

yes if you concentrated the whole time

ddude987
2014-07-03, 08:09 AM
This is a tricky one. Its prerequisites are basically 2 metamagic feats, one must be repeat spell. I think +6 is to high for the spell to be useful without metamagic reducers, which in tern cost more feats. I think +4 is fine for this metamagic. If player's don't have a plethora of feats, and are going by standard 3.5 rules, and they invest enough to reduce this feats cost and use it well, I think they deserve it. +4 is high enough to not be overpowered without investing in reducers, but not so high the metamagic is unplayable without reducers.

Andion Isurand
2014-07-04, 07:16 AM
What if you made a feat called Improved Echoing Spell, which makes it so using the Echoing Spell feat returns the affected spell to you right after you cast it, instead of 1 hour later?

( while still imposing the cumulative -4 penalty to that spell's effective caster level each time it returns to you, until its effective caster level falls below the minimum caster level needed to cast it at it's original unmodified spell level )

Echoing Spell can be found in Secrets of Xen'drik, p. 134.

With a box
2014-07-04, 08:27 AM
What if you made a feat called Improved Echoing Spell, which makes it so using the Echoing Spell feat returns the affected spell to you right after you cast it, instead of 1 hour later?

( while still imposing the cumulative -4 penalty to that spell's effective caster level each time it returns to you, until its effective caster level falls below the minimum caster level needed to cast it at it's original unmodified spell level )

Echoing Spell can be found in Secrets of Xen'drik, p. 134.
I was thinking about a sorcerer just shot a orb of force at BBEG until it dies and shot few more at its body and he uses only a high level slot.

Realms of Chaos
2014-07-04, 09:52 AM
I don't think that this really works as balanced metamagic in general.

Generally speaking, I get the impression that a metamagicked spell should be roughly as powerful as a spell of the modified spell level (give or take a bit of power). This thing, meanwhile, is hard to hold to that standard.

A spammed orb of force, which seems to be your intention, would be dealing 300d6 targeted damage all with a single (high level) spell slot. While it's over a long period of time, that is still over seven times what Disintegrate (the highest variable damage spell) and averages out to 7 times what harm (the highest non-variable damage spell) can accomplish. If Magic missile is spammed in a spell slot equal to or one level lower than Disintegrate, we end up with up to 100d4+100 targeted damage, which is still higher than Disintegrate without the attack roll or save (though, again, over multiple rounds).

And that's not even addressing that this feats allow CL boosts to increase damage output of spells without any real limit, effectively removing all damage caps as each "+1 CL" = one more casting. And there are plenty of ways to gain CL boosts.

When you get into metamagic reducers, DMM, and other mailman cheese, this thing gets pretty insane, meaning that a caster "expected' to go through 3.33 encounters per day will realistically only need 3.33 spells for that day, which seems wrong.

Edit: Then again, getting the full damage output out of spells requires more time than most combats last, sooo... I don't know.

Thealtruistorc
2014-07-04, 12:52 PM
What is the policy on this feat for duration spells? Could I create a spammed wall of force to squish my foes into oblivion?

jiriku
2014-07-04, 07:11 PM
A spammed orb of force, which seems to be your intention, would be dealing 300d6 targeted damage all with a single (high level) spell slot. While it's over a long period of time, that is still over seven times what Disintegrate (the highest variable damage spell) and averages out to 7 times what harm (the highest non-variable damage spell) can accomplish. If Magic missile is spammed in a spell slot equal to or one level lower than Disintegrate, we end up with up to 100d4+100 targeted damage, which is still higher than Disintegrate without the attack roll or save (though, again, over multiple rounds).

To be fair, the standard for expected damage shouldn't be spell damage * caster level, since it's limited by the hit points of the opposing force and the rate at which the rest of the party is inflicting damage. In a high-level encounter against, say, four enemies averaging 100 hp each, the spammed spell could only inflict about 120d6 damage before all foes were down even assuming the caster dealt 100% of the party's damage. It would more likely be 60d6 or less. And stacking effects mailman-style to repeat a more powerful spell is inherently self-limiting; if your spell deals twice as much damage, you kill foes twice as fast and benefit from fewer repeats of the spell.

Does concentrating on a spell prevent you from casting swift or immediate action spells? If so, this greatly limits a caster's flexibility while using a spammed spell, and further limits the feat's power.

Veklim
2014-07-05, 03:52 AM
Under normal circumstances you cannot cast a spell whilst concentrating on something else, but I believe there is a feat which allows you to concentrate on one spell and cast another somewhere in the official texts. I know for a fact psionics can do such with the use of a feat, a power or certain items, pretty sure I've seen a spellcaster equivalent.

zingbobco000
2014-07-05, 01:44 PM
Spam Spell [Metamagic]:
Benefit: If you keep concentrating on a spammed spell you cast, you automatically cast that spell again this round. You may hold the spamed spell only for a brief time (no more than 1 round per caster level), and you must concentrate on doing so, or else the spamed spell is terminated. A spammed spell uses up a spell slot ??? levels higher than the spell's actual level. A spell whose casting time is more than 1 full-round action cannot be spammed.

Special:
You can keep concentrated up to 1 round/CL.
the target must be within close range from last position
Witch slot this matamagic should use?
+5?
Edit . Could you fix the defuntional words for me?

This should be 1/2 your caster level, a prerequisite should also be chain spell. The spell level is increased by +4. The reason for chain spell is the fact that this is so powerful that it should require 2 pre-req feats. This sounds much more reasonable.