PDA

View Full Version : this spell cost HOW much?

axraelshelm
2007-02-26, 06:18 PM
What do you do when you found out that you got ripped of in game?
We were over charged for a freaking GATE spell to get of gennhena now I understand that some would over price their stuff I've traded and have done so at times but when you find out later how much a spell would realy cost and you had paid over the desired ammount just over x2.
I realy want to go back there with and nuke that little toe rag.
Anyone got ripped of out there?

Swordguy
2007-02-26, 06:24 PM
Eh. Supply and demand rule. If you REALLY wanted the Gate spell, you're obviously willing to pay for it.

Or you could have just cheesed Diplomancy far enough that the caster would have been your bestest friend ever and cast it for free. But I'm not presuming that your group are munchkins.

Premier
2007-02-26, 06:27 PM
You could complain to the Interplanar Customer Protection Bureau, who would then sue the trader for unfair business practices.

Oh, gosh, silly me! There is no Interplanar Customer Protection Bureau! Looks like there's nothing you can do.

But seriously, you should just suck it up and get going, unless you're deliberately playing your character to be a petty and vengeful little bastard. I mean, really, it's an Evil aligned plane, and I assume you really needed that spell, which the seller probably realised. What did you expect, a good samaritan?

Also, how do you know that this was not a completely fair and honest price for Gehenna? The cost of commodities varies greatly in real life, too. You shouldn't assume that every item in the game costs exactly the same everywhere, including such outlandish places as other planes of existence.

Hallavast
2007-02-26, 06:32 PM
Eh. Supply and demand rule. If you REALLY wanted the Gate spell, you're obviously willing to pay for it.

Or you could have just cheesed Diplomancy far enough that the caster would have been your bestest friend ever and cast it for free. But I'm not presuming that your group are munchkins.

Problem is, if he's in gehenna, then the caster would likely be willing to stab his "bestest friend ever" in the back to make a quick buck anyway.

Gamebird
2007-02-26, 07:10 PM
What do you do when you found out that you got ripped of in game?

I find out if my character knows/thinks she was ripped off, or if only the player knows it. If only the player knows it and there's nothing I, as the player, needs to do to see if my character knows it (Knowledge check, Appraise, etc.), then just suck it up and go on.

If my character knows it, then I make sure I don't do business with that sap again.

Exceptions for when DMs accidentally overprice something:
Ask the DM, nicely, if he realized the price he quoted was listed as a different price in the book. Suggest he just say, "Well, you paid what was in the book, so just credit yourself with the difference." If he chooses not to follow your suggestion, then suck it up. But remember that next time he quotes a price that sounds "off", look it up right then and there and maybe pass him a note, or point it out politely. Again, if he says "screw that, the price you're told is different", then so it is.

Stevenson
2007-02-26, 07:14 PM
I go on. Nothing I can do about it now. Besides, my character's a good natured gnome favored soul-you can't get less vengeful. In fact, if he were to ever see this merchant grievously wounded on the side of the road, he would cast his last Cure Serious Wounds without a second thought, because that's just how he is.

Swordguy
2007-02-26, 07:32 PM
Problem is, if he's in gehenna, then the caster would likely be willing to stab his "bestest friend ever" in the back to make a quick buck anyway.

True dat...................

Galathir
2007-02-26, 08:32 PM
The prices in the PHB and DMG assume a normal, everyday situation. When there is a shortage or unusual situation things are completely different. I imagine getting stranded on a evil plane would tempt a caster to gyp you for all the money he could.

As for your question, my character never really get ripped off. I greatly value social skills like Diplomacy and Bluff, so my character nearly always strike a good bargain. However, in a campaign a year or two back the DM led us into a mithral mine and to his surprise we managed to bring back quite a bit of pure mithral. He really ripped us off on the selling price, obviously to keep us close to WBL, but even so . . .

Thomas
2007-02-27, 01:24 AM
If you're plane-hopping, paying an extra 1,500 gp or so for a gate is incredibly minor (I'm assuming that's about the sum, since a gate for planar travel would cost upwards of 1,530 gp). That's pocket change at... well, any level past 4th.

TheOOB
2007-02-27, 02:00 AM
I'd imagine the DMG prices also assume you can find the item for sale somewhere. It stands to reason that if you have to commission an item it will cost more.

Wehrkind
2007-02-27, 03:29 AM
You should be glad the Ghennahniter (or whatever that would be) didn't sell you a Gate scroll to the Abyss, or Dis, or some other suitably unpleasant place.
You can't trust those Ghennites. They are there for a reason.

Thomas
2007-02-27, 04:00 AM
I guess if it was a scroll (base price ~8,000 and change) rather than a casting (~1,500 and change), it makes more of a dent in one's wallet, but it's still pocket money for adventurers of mid- or high-levels.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-02-27, 02:19 PM
I once gipped an 8 Int barbarian into paying 1gp for a 5sp drink. I am pure evil.

axraelshelm
2007-02-27, 02:30 PM
I guess if it was a scroll (base price ~8,000 and change) rather than a casting (~1,500 and change), it makes more of a dent in one's wallet, but it's still pocket money for adventurers of mid- or high-levels.

That sounds about right we paid 4000 souls the rate flutuates from X2-1.5ish campared to gold.

But i sold 17 red dragon teeth and 2 horns+ a ring of forgery +10 and most of that money went towards the gate spell I realy wanted to save up for a decent ring or something fun and i just got a decent amount about over 8000 gold pieces worth and I had to fork it over ahh! because i didn't use the other dragon stuff to make things with.

Olethros
2007-02-27, 04:24 PM
I have had DM's use the swindle as a plot hook. Ya know the drill, caster has you over a barrel, forces you to pay exorbanant price for the thing you need. You spend time getting more powerfull, dirt on caster, etc untill you can get back whats yours kinda thing. I don't think 8,000g counts as much as a plot hook though.

axraelshelm
2007-02-27, 04:52 PM
It wasn't a plot hole it was us the party of three needed to get to somewhere, back to our home plane to catch up with news on the war effort and to find the other peices of a model we need to find the ship of the gods.
Anyway more money is to be made and my faithcaster "a divine caster" is going full caster so he can get GATE quicker so he doesn't have to spend it on a theiving little toe rag of a spell caster.

Quietus
2007-02-27, 08:23 PM
Gate isn't necessary, if you get plane shift. Level 5 cleric spell.

TheOOB
2007-02-27, 08:39 PM
Plane shift don't summon powerful outsiders under your control, it also can't be used to block ranged attacks and trick people into traveling into hostile planes.

axraelshelm
2007-02-28, 03:16 AM
Gate isn't necessary, if you get plane shift. Level 5 cleric spell.

I agree apart from the chance you'll end up 500 miles away from your destination with plane shift and we were in a hurry.

clarkcd
2007-02-28, 04:39 AM
Not sure if you have a wizard in the party but teleport is also a level 5th level spell. Hell if you have the travel domain a cleric can do it all by 9th level.

Regardless of how it could have been handled by the players, the PHB and DMG have guidelines for prices and as others have said it's up to the DM to determine the price given in game factors such as location. As a DM I often raise and lower prices of goods and services depending on where the PCs go, what is currently going on in the world, etc.

Now if it's a matter of your character finding out he got gipped instead of just the player then by all means travel back to the outer planes and slay the deceiver! :smallbiggrin:

axraelshelm
2007-02-28, 05:28 AM
Tell u guy the truth I see this as a learning curve. I would've needed to sell my item anyway if we were going to travel back and no my domains are water and trickery. It just means one thing a item of teleport once a day.