PDA

View Full Version : Rising Stars [Lord Havelock's Mutants & Masterminds 3e Campaign II]

LordHavelock
2014-07-02, 02:22 PM
You have all been most cordially invited to attend, Boston’s newest premiere event of the season, the Assembly for the Advancement of Metahumanity! This invitational event is more along the lines of gala and celebration of the achievements of metahumans and especially collaborative efforts of super-hero teams consisting of persons with and without powers. Key figures and potential donors and activists are invited to enjoy a certain exclusive atmosphere (and open bars) as well as a cadre of specially invited representatives from the United Earth Protectorate and select other heroic figures and teams. The big sponsor for the event is Morningstar Multinational, a continent spanning parent corporation for everything from heavy industry to consumer chemical products. There are plenty of other big names here too, a couple celebrities, not to mention the Mayor, and a United States Senator, so security has been pretty tight so far. A quick flash of your own invitation however, gets you entry to the outdoor viewing area, a trio of high rise corporate office buildings surrounding some artfully modern water feature. A pair of bars flank daintily arranged seating, servers with appetizers and delicacies.

In each of the lobbies of the three glass & steel buildings which rise up and reach towards the skyline of the gently fading twilight, is another bar, a buffet table, and all the promised exhibits and displays, each a testament to humanity’s potential through cooperation with the super-forces which have taken center stage in the preceding two decades. The two-story lobbies of each building have been turned into miniature museums, taking advantage of their already classical interior architecture, complete with columns, and open air patios to show off bits of super science technology, artifacts from the first heroes of the 20th century (costume pieces and relics) and even a few trinkets from more modern conflicts (though obviously nothing dangerous to the public or requiring further inquiry by the government). The crowd is largely high society, but as a show of goodwill, there are some less-than-well-to-do in attendance, along with the special guests from superheroic community: most notably, Doctor Albrecht Nordson, who was at the forefront of collapsing the portals opening all around the world during the 1986 Invasion, and Hallow, a crime fighting sorceress and poster girl for the UEP.

All in all, it’s shaping up to be quite the successful party, as folks mingle and chat and bask in the achievements of even just the last two years towards a safer, more prosperous world, all thanks to the efforts of metahuman heroes and heroines around the globe.

SuperCracker
2014-07-02, 05:20 PM
Jake

Jake doesn’t particularly like these kinds of events. The gentry of the world coming together to pat themselves on the back. Jake didn’t see the world as a job well done. There was a lot left to do. There were many places on the globe where violence and poverty are the norm. So if this wasn’t his first choice of things to do tonight, you’d understand. However, one doesn’t get people to listen by avoiding them. So he took that invitation and came anyway, if for no other reason than to relentlessly try and remind people about the things that matter.

That said, he still knows how to make an entrance.

Wearing a sleek black Armani suit with a black shirt underneath and a blue tie (that matched the blue accents on his Sneakers of Flying), Jake descended from the heavens, landing before security and producing his invitation with practiced ease.

“Wallace. Jake Wallace,” he said to security with a grin as he walked in. Along with Jake’s suit, he accessorized with some timeless pieces. A sword and its scabbard, worn on his back as always. A bit unusual, sure… but tame for this kind of crowd.

He walked into the central space, pictures being taken of him from nearby photographers/paparazzi. He ignored them as he walked past one of the waiters carrying a tray of drinks. He grabbed one, whirling by the guy as if he were playing in a football game. Jake said his hellos to a few people, then looked around to see who was interesting.

Well, there was Hallow, who Jake would speak to when he got the chance, and there may be some other faces as well.

Dorni
2014-07-02, 09:47 PM
Elijah

Elijah kept his grimace in check. As galas went, this was definitely among the most pleasant that he'd attended. The attendees were supporters of metahumans, which meant they tended to regard Elijah as a curiosity rather than a threat if they recognized him at all. In his tailored grey suit and black tie and lacking his normal jewelry he didn't look much like a shaman. He'd been mingling with the crowd for awhile now and he hadn't had to field any requests to summon up dead loved ones. Until now.

“I'm sorry ma'am,” came his smooth reply, “but spirits that have passed on have found peace. They usually don't like it when they're disturbed. Its better to leave them rest in peace.” The amusement and hope fluttering around the woman he'd been speaking with died, leaving only the wariness. She agreed politely before excusing herself.

The man next to him glowered, distaste and acceptance marring his aura. He was built like some kind of action hero; tall, overflowing with sculpted muscle, piercing blue eyes and a strong jawline. His suit was was worn open, exposing a bright blue dress shirt with a black “V” across the front and his bow tie. It looked like something out of the 70s and probably was – Miles Valiant had died then.

Now, the spirit stood next to Elijah, invisible to the rest of the room. “You could have summoned him. With the ring he left her, it wouldn't have been hard.”

“You know why,” Elijah sighed, by all appearances speaking to no one. “He passed on years ago. He should be allowed to rest.” And if it didn't cause a panic, suddenly everyone would have a person they need me to summon. Miles looked at him steadily, but said nothing.

Elijah looked around the party, hoping to spot Hollow or Doctor Nordson. He would have liked a to speak with Hollow as a fellow magic user, and Andre had all but demanded to be summoned if he could find Doctor Nordson. Apparently they'd collaborated on something a long time ago. Both appeared buried under crowds at the moment, but he spotted another aura coming through the door. A massive, golden aura that he recognized. He smiled and made his way through the crowd.

He hadn't seen much of Jake after leaving the Academy, just occasional stories in the news and a handful of times Jake had called him for his advice or talents. It was time to see who Jake Wallace had become.

kpenguin
2014-07-03, 02:12 AM
Horton Jones, the Ironclad Man

Horton stands staring anxiously, hands in his pockets. With his second hand rented suit and his dour face, the famous Ironclad Man looks out of place at this high society party. He wasn't sure what he was doing here. Even in his own time, this sort of thing would be very alien to Horton. Looking at the very modern art looking water fountain in the center and the gaggle of debutantes surrounding it, he feels as out of time as ever.

He was encouraged to come of course. And he'd been told that it would be good to get out every once and a while, get adjusted by being social, meet people. But Horton wasn't sure these were the sort of people he'd be comfortable meeting. He spent his younger years rallying against them, after all, before he was locked away for nearly a century.

Horton glances at his companion, the plus one he'd brought to the party.

"You still think this was a good idea?"

Green Bean
2014-07-03, 07:13 AM
Like Horton, Jeff is not particularly comfortable - his shaggy hair and defensive posture put him out of place in this high-income crowd. Though unlike Horton, he's wearing his own suit, a legacy of his small business days. It's a nice little number that is nonetheless entirely outclassed by the glitz and glamour around him.

Jeff honestly found the theme a little distasteful. Souvenirs from the 1986 Invasion, old photos of Doctor Night's rampage, the former Crystal Maiden's spear; here were tragedies boiled down into triumphant soundbites. Certainly, the superheroes in those stories were brave, and powerful, and no doubt felt sorrow for those they couldn't save. But people shouldn't just be celebrating superheroes, they should be mourning the fact that they were necessary.

But Horton, whom he'd persuaded to come, really needed a night outside of work and his little apartment, so Jeff didn't say any of that out loud. "Come on, the night is just getting started. And worst comes to worst, there's an open bar. I mean, it won't work on you, but no one else knows that."

LordHavelock
2014-07-07, 01:55 PM
The paparazzi aren’t the only ones to take notice of Jake Wallace’s rather spectacular entrance; Almost as if on cue, a woman in slightly more professional attire, a blazer covering her shoulders tastefully, approaches him just as soon as he has a drink. “Mr. Wallace!” The woman proclaims, “I do hope you have a moment, my name is Cynthia Weston, and I’m Mr. Morgenstern’s VP of Communications.” She speaks very quickly, and is very forward, shaking Jake’s hand with one of her own, while the other seems to have her PDA permanently affixed to it. “You see, Mr. Morgenstern was hoping you’d be able to speak with him, in regards to some of your more recent humanitarian efforts in Eastern Europe, and what Morningstar Multinational can do to support them. He wanted me to make it very clear . . .” She trails off and leans in close, whispering whilst somehow maintaining her overly bright tone and demeanor, “That it needn’t be a public conversation, nor some attempt at publicity.” She gives an over exaggerated wink before motioning towards the tallest of the three buildings, as if already expecting him to follow her lead.

Whilst Jake is being fawned over by the bubbly press-coordinator, Elijah suddenly finds himself very nearly accosted by an overbearing, brawny man in a suit nearly matching Miles’, but without the ‘V’. Without turning around to look, the man had turned in place, nearly toppling the much smaller Elijah over forward, and the man is about to step past him, seemingly without noticing, planting a slightly less than formal boot next to Elijah’s head before pausing. “Sorry about that, hombre.” Comes a not-quite-booming, voice with a smooth latin accent, before a hand presents itself for Elijah to be helped up, bringing him face to chest with the man who might have crushed him with only a tad less care. “Didn’t see you down there.” His voice is less than apologetic, and he seems to be teasing Elijah, though his smile seems genuine, rather than sadistic. At maybe six and a half feet in height, the man is a towering pillar of bronzed muscle; somewhat more brutish in appearance than Mr. Valiant’s ghostly persona.

Before Horton has a chance to answer, there is an audible clearing of the throat from behind them both, where a gray templed, slightly overweight gentleman has made himself apparent. “It’s Mr. Jones, isn’t it?” asks the bushily mustachioed man, with a tone peculiar to moguls and magnates and the like, though his has a slight midwestern tinge.

SuperCracker
2014-07-07, 05:16 PM
Jake

Do you know how Jake knew that the woman calling him was going to be in a blazer like that? It wasn’t because he was looking in her direction at that moment. It wasn’t because he assumed anyone would be dressing in any particular fashion. And no, it’s not because he’s psychic – because he’s not.

It was because she called him “Mr. Wallace.” Nobody calls Jake “Mr. Wallace” except for suits.

He turns around to face the person, a friendly smile on his face, belying the guarded mood he always gets in when confronted by anyone corporate. If corporations are people, they function like psychopaths, after-all. Jake hears her out, but has an ‘I don’t do corporate sponsorships’ loaded and chambered. That’s when she leans in and says that they won’t take publicity.

Now he’s slightly more interested.

“Ms. Weston, I’ll speak with the man, but I trust you know that I won’t promise anything.”

He nods to her, gesturing with his arm for the lady to go first. He follows behind her, snagging a mini-quiche off of one of the waiters as he passes. Elijah very nearly intercepts him before being plowed over by the big guy. And thus, unfortunately, Jake walks on by towards the building.

As they walk, Jake does what he does and he makes conversation. Always a charmer.

"How are you this evening? I know you're technically on the job, but you should try to live a little."

He snatches another drink from yet another waiter and then in a fluid motion presents it to the woman.

"Here. You can say you had a drink with royalty."

He gives her a playful grin, the comment more of a joke than anything else.

kpenguin
2014-07-09, 01:18 PM
Horton Hears a... Who?

Horton visibily stiffens as he turns around to face the man addressing him. He'd almost forgotten that, as a public figure, there would be people who'd want to talk to him. Again, not his sort of party.

Nor was it his sort of tone that the gray haired man spoke in. The tone Horton heard was that of a capitalist elite, a captain of industry: exactly the sort of person that set Horton on edge. Still, no reason not to be polite. He was a guest here after all and his mother raised him better than to be rude. Nevermind how long dead she was.

"That's my name, sir. I'm sorry, I don't believe I know who you are...?"

Slowly and stiffly, Horton extends a hand.

Green Bean
2014-07-09, 01:33 PM
Jeff tensed up along with Horton, partially from their shared opinions about the 1%, partially from the practical reality of someone as strong as Horton feeling on edge. Fortunately, it looked like things were polite, if icy. Jeff stayed close by Horton, just in case.

Dorni
2014-07-10, 12:22 AM
Elijah

Elijah pushed himself back to his feet without accepting the offered hand. "No harm, no foul." It was difficult keeping the sickness he felt from his face. How a man could develop an aura as disgusting as that man's wasn't something Elijah wanted to find out. Elijah turned to walk away, hoping to find more pleasant company.

MrE
2014-07-14, 04:56 PM
Anna, the Sorcerer's Apprentice

Anna had struggled with the pomp of academic soirees back in England, so she had no idea how she was going to manage the social minefield that this Assembly would no doubt become. She sat in the taxi playing with her hand, occasionally drawing a small figure in the air, a pentagram, overlapping circles, which would fizzle briefly before fading away. The driver kept glancing back at the strange flashes, but eventually assumed she was just playing with her phone.

"Here we are miss," he piped up a few seconds later. Anna nodded and paid him, struggling for a moment with the foreign bills before handing over the correct amount and stepping out.

The place was abuzz with reporters and supporters and Anna made her way towards the entrance trying to attract as little attention as possible. She was stopped at security, but quickly drew out a card from her purse, for a second revealing the arcane contents of her bag, before handing it over. Merle had procured the invite (he was always getting invites to these things under his various aliases) and of course had no trouble getting an unknown researcher into a top flight event.

Anna stepped by security with a polite smile and then peered around the room looking for a friendly face. She felt terribly out of place, as though anyone looking at her would know the beautiful dress was borrowed and her glamorous accessories created with magic. She tried to shelve those concerns, instead focusing on the job she had been sent here to do: she was trained up now, no longer the incompetent girl who had embarrassed herself in front of Jake in New York. Now she could finally take her place at his side. Merle had told her it was important for Jake to have an advisor, just as Merle had once counselled Arthur. She wasn't certain she would give great advice, especially to someone who had been doing all this hero stuff a lot longer than she had, but she knew she would obey Merle, and do her best to live up to his expectations.

Where was he?

LordHavelock
2014-07-15, 10:59 AM
Ms. Weston grins delightedly, and appears to have to contain a squeal as she directs Jake towards the lobby of the central building in the courtyard, punching away into her PDA as she goes, and thus is a bit taken off guard by his question. “Huh? Oh, I well . . .” She blushes and clutches her pda a bit more tightly, “I wouldn’t be doing this work if I didn’t enjoy it, believe me. And it’s certainly a good living.”

As Jake hands her a drink she accepts it willingly, and seems a tad more at ease, her smile even a tad coquettish as she gives a ‘cheers’ and tilts back the sparkling beverage, placing it on a table as they pass without her eyes leaving Jakes until they enter the lobby of the building. Inside, it is all stark, white marble, complete with columns and a view up to the balconies which make up the second floor. A few more wealthy and elite types are hobnobbing around the buffet tables set up against the walls, while the more touristy guests survey exhibits along the second floor. There is one standout however, a young man, probably of an age with Jake, with dark hair and aquiline features, steely gray-blue eyes and quite a charming smile that is already turning to meet them even as Ms. Weston opens the door for Jake. “Your majesty,” she titters, “May I present, Mr. Morgenstern.” the words are secondary to the intensity of the gaze the young magnate fixes Jake with as he approaches, hand extended.

“Jake Wallace, a pleasure to be sure.” Says the man, still smiling, even though his eyes seem absolutely piercing in their survey of The King, despite the fact that they never leave Jake’s own. Royalty Jake might be, in a certain sense, but Mr. Morgenstern looks the part of some much more classic sense of the term, like some young count or duke lifted right out of court at Versailles, Milan, or Constantinople. “I’m glad Ms. Weston was able to secure your attentions, as I do have a matter to discuss; something I think you’ll find very interesting. But first, please, walk with me, tell me what you think of the Assembly.” His tone is amicable, but leaves no question to be answered as he gestures for Jake to take a turn with him around the lobby turned gallery. It takes a moment, but Jake is able to discern Morgenstern’s accent is not quite American, but is unable to place it otherwise.

“No,” Replies the man, with a slight darkening of his tone, not taking Horton’s hand “I don’t suppose you would, but you did know my grandfather I’m afraid, or at least heard of him. Simon Colbert, the president of the Virginia Unified Mining company. He’s the man who had you imprisoned, sentenced to . . .” The tycoon’s grandson looks uncomfortable for a moment, but with a deep breath continues, “Anyway, my name is Simon too, named for my grandfather, though I’m not proud of it today.”

The man’s eyes are hard as he looks from Horton to Jeff and back again, determined to be able to meet each other man’s gaze, despite the turmoil written on his features.

“Course not, Hombre.” Says the mountain of a man, nodding before Elijah turns himself away. The shaman is just able to catch a glimpse of Jake going into the building and through the glass doors speaking with another man in a suit. Though it’s difficult to make out, he does notice a woman making her way away from the entrance after closing the door, appearing to have a remarkably similar aura (that same, oily pallor of false flesh) as the man he just bumped into, or rather, bumped into him.

With Jake on the other side of the event, occupied by Mr. Morgenstern, there were a lot of intervening bodies between him and Anna’s field of view. Most of them looked very high society, but there were at least a few who Anna could spot as looking somewhat like herself, in borrowed or somewhat less-than-finery which might have been reassuring were it not for the rather attractive woman in a sparkling champagne dress who Anna quite surprisingly catches staring at her. The woman in question looks to be at least a few years Anna’s senior, and is surrounded by quite a cadre of hangers on, whom she is quite blatantly ignoring as she gives Anna a long, somewhat piercing stare, her face otherwise impassive. Time seems to slow for a long moment as the woman appears to take Anna’s measure, but resumes just as quickly, as she resumes her conversation with the crowd around her quite naturally.

kpenguin
2014-07-15, 01:47 PM
“No,” Replies the man, with a slight darkening of his tone, not taking Horton’s hand “I don’t suppose you would, but you did know my grandfather I’m afraid, or at least heard of him. Simon Colbert, the president of the Virginia Unified Mining company. He’s the man who had you imprisoned, sentenced to . . .” The tycoon’s grandson looks uncomfortable for a moment, but with a deep breath continues, “Anyway, my name is Simon too, named for my grandfather, though I’m not proud of it today.”

The man’s eyes are hard as he looks from Horton to Jeff and back again, determined to be able to meet each other man’s gaze, despite the turmoil written on his features.

Horton Jones, the Ironheart Man

Horton stiffens a bit more, but seeing the turmoil and determination in Colbert, keeps his hand out. Its a little awkward, but no less so than moving it back. It was clear that whatever the reason Colbert was here, it was taking him a lot of nerve to just be standing in front of Horton. The Ironclad Man could respect that.

"If you're here to ask for forgiveness, there ain't no need. A man ain't held to his grandfather's sins. Only to the ones he done himself."

LordHavelock
2014-07-15, 01:53 PM
Horton Jones, the Ironheart Man

Horton stiffens a bit more, but seeing the turmoil and determination in Colbert, keeps his hand out. Its a little awkward, but no less so than moving it back. It was clear that whatever the reason Colbert was here, it was taking him a lot of nerve to just be standing in front of Horton. The Ironclad Man could respect that.

"If you're here to ask for forgiveness, there ain't no need. A man ain't held to his grandfather's sins. Only to the ones he done himself."

Simon Colbert the II visibly relaxes as Horton keeps his hand raised and continues in a polite tone. Reaching out to take his hand in return, he shakes it firmly and slowly, almost cracking a smile. "You're a better man than my grandfather by far if that's what you believe Mr. Jones. You have my sincere apologies as well, and my thanks. As for my own sins . . . well, I'm here at the Assembly hoping to atone for some of those as it happens."

Relinquishing Horton's iron grip he turns to Jeff. "Afraid I haven't met your acquaintance either, and I hope you don't mind my interrupting to assuage my own guilt."

Green Bean
2014-07-15, 02:03 PM
Jeff shook Colbert's hand a little stiffly, still uncomfortable in this situation. "That's quite alright. I'm sure your workers are glad you aren't your grandfather."

SuperCracker
2014-07-15, 02:57 PM
Jake

Just before Ms. Weston took off, Jake gives her a little wink. Jake loves to schmooze, and when there’s some flirting involved, he always rises to the occasion. He still had a little grin on his face as he turned back towards Mr. Morgenstern. The King without a country regards the wealthy man as someone used to power and influence. Right or wrong, Jake sees him as one who was used to getting what he wanted. The man’s bearing spoke of it.

Jake endeavors not to let his guard down. Still, the confident, ever-friendly smile of Jake Wallace doesn’t fade in the slightest.

“Likewise Mr. Morganstern,” Jake replies, extending his hand to the shake the other man’s. He walks alongside the wealthy young man as they speak. He asks Jake what he thinks about the Assembly. Jake glances over towards him. “Would you like the truth or something flattering?” Jake doesn’t wait for an answer. “I think it’s self-congratulatory and misplaced in what it should be doing.”

It appears Morganstern opened a can of worms.

“Gathered here tonight are the one percent of the one percent, giving their money to an organization that trumpets the successes of metahumans. But do we really need to endlessly remind the world of the Invasion? I think they’re all well aware that superheroes stopped it. The East Coast alone is swarming with metahumans doing good on a daily basis. If the goal is for the general population to have a favorable view of metahumans, just let the actions of metahumans speak for themselves.

But, you may retort that there are metahumans that face prejudice every day. That’s very true. There are mutants with a variety of mutations that make them deviate from normal appearance. I don’t think the Assembly does enough to address their plight. Your spokespeople are practically supermodels, after-all.

Not to mention that the Assembly focuses largely on metahumans in Western Culture. Most of the suffering and war that occurs happens in developing nations, where teams of superheroes are in short supply.” Jake stops, turning towards Morganstern. “Imagine the good that could be done in a place like the DRC. One telekinetic could rebuild bridges. One telepath could mediate conflicts more effectively than anyone else.

And that’s before we get to the issue of money. Instead of paying for publicity, why not donate money for food? For HIV treatment? For refugees of civil wars? There are countless things I can think of that would be better for the world than… than making us look good.”

Jake is quiet for a moment, finally indicating that he’s done.

“Did that answer your question?”

MrE
2014-07-15, 04:25 PM
A shadow passes over Anna and she stumbles as she turns to find the nearest bathroom. She pushed her way through the crowds and practically dived into the ladies, which was mercifully, and surprisingly, empty. She gave her reflection a long look in the mirror, as though expecting it to jump or twitch or even speak at her, but nothing was forth coming. Living in a world where magic was real gave one some advantages, especially in terms of paranormal weirdness, but in the end, the fear of the unknown was still there. And some things definitely still fit in the category of "the unknown that you should be fearful of".

She tried to calm herself, but her breath was still coming in ragged gasps: she had heard the voice before, felt the presence many times, but still, something had stopped her talking to Merle about it and nothing he had ever taught her had explained who or what it might be. She was still frightened whenever it came back, but the advice it had given... no, she had given in the past had not always been terrible.

The sight... of Gahaeris? I know that name, well, it seems familiar at least. Arthurian definitely. And when she said sight it definitely had a capital. And I've only got one special 'sight'... What harm could it do?

Closing her eyelids she muttered a short incantation before opening her eyes. For a brief moment there was a burst of sensations; a presence, male, and something burning, something forbidden, then it was gone, and she felt the party come back. She peered through her magical senses, seeing and hearing as though she was there and not secluded in the ladies bathroom, and scoured the room for signs of Jake.

Dorni
2014-07-16, 12:12 AM
Elijah

Elijah frowned after Jake. It was odd. The woman who'd been with Jake had the same Aura as the giant he'd bumped in to. It wasn't impossible for people two people to have similar auras, but auras were intensely personal. They were affected by everything from person's emotions and character to their outlook on life. It made them border on unique. For both of them to have that same miasma coating them... was it some kind of outside force acting on them? Perhaps they'd both been exposed to some source of corruption?

His frown deepened. If tiny and the woman were connected, had tiny been running interference? The man had all but run over Elijah as he'd tried to make his way to Jake. That would mean that whomever Jake was speaking to right now really wanted to get Jake alone for some reason, and wanted him now.

A smile tugged at the corner's of Mr. Valient's ghostly mouth upon seeing Elijah's pensive frown. "I know that look. Is something the matter? The man apologized, so relax and enjoy the party. You rarely get out these days."

Elijah rolled his eyes at the ghost's playful chiding. He might be reading too much into this, but something still felt off. That, or he was jumping at shadows. "Alright, just humor me for a second," came his reply.

Elijah took a glass from a nearby waiter and glided over to the window, scanning the crowd as he went. It also gave him a better view of the man that occupied Jake's attention.

LordHavelock
2014-07-16, 08:41 PM
Colbert returns Jeff’s handshake and at the mention of his workers, his expression brightens a little. “We’ve come a long way, that’s for sure. We’re a union company now, some of the best employer-employee relations in the business thanks to what my dad started after his old man passed on, and what I’ve tried to continue. Becoming a member of Mr. Morgenstern’s organization is a step towards extending that to metahumans as well, like yourself Mr. Jones. Well, I say Morgenstern, but he’s only another board member, just happens to take a more active role than the rest of us. He was actually the one who suggested I should speak with you personally, Mr. Jones; man to man, rather than try and start some other foundation in your honor or the like as my publicist would have me do.” He snorts a bit in derision, “He may look like just another playboy, but the man’s got a good head on his shoulders. Listen to me jawing away though, I was going to say it’s been something of an uphill struggle getting the Unions on board with the metas-, excuse me, ‘Metahumans’ like yourselves. They worry about super strong or super tough types putting them out of a job or outmoding workman’s comp.”

He shrugs and sighs, “It’s a sticky situation, not to mention a lot of the more rural communities and workers have some prejudice built up towards folks that look or act too different.”

“Please, call me August,” Replies the amicable magnate, in response to Jake’s initial question, before he listens attentively to Jake’s appraisal of the Assembly and it’s members. His easy smile remains, each man apparently stoically refusing to look anything but pleased, even as Jake rails against the self-congratulatory and redundant efforts of the Assembly. August Morgenstern is not opposed to a critical analysis, especially as Jake remains constructive in his points and suggestions, and even goes so far to nod his agreement and assent to continue for the young King at several points. All the while, the steely gaze never wavers, and as Jake grows more impassioned, speaking of ways to better direct metahuman efforts and spend money, he attracts the attention of a few other idle socialites, apparently keen on some gossip. A brief glance in the direction of the quartet of older men and women whose ear Jake has garnered is enough to send them scurrying away, in time for Jake to finish and August to respond in kind.

“It does, and on much of your answer, I couldn’t agree more.” He replies, gesturing both plaintively, and encouragingly. “You have a fair assessment for the limitations of a charitable foundation such as this, and I’m sure you’re equally aware of the obstacles which lie in the way of more proactive efforts otherwise made possible by superhumans, such as yourself. After all, the exact relationship between super heroes and heroines and their home countries is as varied as it is often nebulous, with as many wayward vigilantes as you have patriotic crusaders and everywhere in between. None the less, these individuals have to respect the sovereignty of other governments who may not wish to have Westerners, of any variety, intervening in their affairs. Surely, you’ve encountered certain resistance yourself along these lines at times?”

“The other side to it of course is that as a charitable foundation, the scope of what the Assembly can accomplish is limited to what it’s board of directors deem to be appropriate, and there are few enough metahumans who actually seat the board of this particular organization. These . . .” Morgenstern struggles for a moment to find the right phrasing, “Aristocratic types, they see laud and honor as part and parcel to their generosity, and thus, publicity is often paramount to them, or else using the fund to invest in valuable charitable research, rather than an outpouring of relief efforts. On this count, I agree there is a certain amount of sense, as the potential for a cure to diseases and ailments is potentially much more worthy a pursuit than preventatives and stopgap measures.” He sighs, “But that in and of itself means we must tangle with those regulator agencies which do exist to monitor and test whatever applicable products our labor might come to. And, let us not forget that there is a final point where publicity is very much necessary.”

He directs Jake’s attention to the exhibit they have just now approached, Morgenstern apparently having guided them subtly in this direction, containing debris, plaques, and memorials all dedicated to the titanic conflict which had torn apart New York City, which Jake himself had played a pivotal role in. “Unfortunately, it seems that more often than not, Metahumans are their own worst publicists, as for every hero doing good work, there are invariably a gallery of rogues to challenge them, and threaten the public good. You said Metahumans must let their actions speak for them, and unfortunately, there are many, many metahumans out their who let their actions speak ill of themselves and others.” August’s tone is more serious now, as he steeples his fingers in front of him and moves to look out over the balcony at the other guests and exhibits below.

“Ms. Weston told you I sought you out in regards to a particular, private matter, a joint venture I would like to propose.” He turns to look back at Jake, “Just about every major company in the US, and abroad, is dying to secure some sort of superheroic sponsorship deal, but between the UEP’s condemnation for such actions, and the, albeit well warranted, image of exploitation associated with such a deal, I think we can both agree such a thing would be ill advised. Rather, I’d like to take a step in an entirely different direction, and I’d like you to join me.”

Whilst Elijah scans the crowd with his aura vision, it doesn’t take him terribly long to locate Jake once more, on the second floor speaking with Mr. Morgenstern, and along the way he notices no one else with a similarly befouled aura as the hulking man who knocked him over and the woman she saw escorting Jake and then exiting the building to rejoin the party.

Anna meanwhile has a somewhat more difficult time, her non-corporeal perception moving in and amongst the crowds searching for any sign of Jake, but find herself doubling back and seeing many of the same faces as the crowds mill about and shift in search of new foods, drink, and diversions. The sights and sounds wash over her ethereal senses, and almost idly she passes by the woman in the champagne gown once more, who once more has her gaze drawn to where Anna would be standing in order to look and listen in on those others she is speaking to, except that Anna’s body is still in the lady’s bathroom. The woman stares all the same, and even gives a subtle little wave, and a wink before turning back to the crowd of hangers on, as if to say ‘Don’t think you’ve gone unnoticed.’

SuperCracker
2014-07-16, 10:34 PM
Jake

Jake didn’t care about socialites gossiping. Let them all call him a rabble-rouser. Let them say that he’s a man who speaks of his beliefs at every opportunity. It’s something he’s prided himself on. Something a chat with an older student back in freshman year got into him. Never stop saying what you know is right, especially when you have a platform. And Kingship makes for one hell of a bully pulpit.

Jake doesn’t quite loosen up when August agrees with him at first. Jake knows that people tend to flatter or defuse those who disagree with them before actually engaging. But he listens. He really listens.

“You’re right. The relationship between superheroes and international law is incredibly nebulous. I’m sure you’re aware of the condemnation I’ve drawn from Russia within the U.N. I’m an interventionist, and I make no bones about it.” That statement also speaks, in a way, to the argument about sovereignty. When sovereignty gets in the way of stopping atrocity, sovereignty has to take a backseat.

“What we need is a body of superheroes with no country. Something beyond the United Nations, something with actual teeth. A mandate to bring some real change to the globe. If I had an actual Camelot, one of my first strokes of the pen would be to provide a host country. But..” He opened his hands, displaying nothing.

As for aristocrats, “Despite my title, I don’t care much for aristocracy. Money should be devoted both to research and to practicality. There are very, very simple things we can do to cause long-lasting, structural change. But I do understand the need to look ahead.”

They made their way up to the exhibit. Jake looked at it. He knew that scene all too well, the memory still very much real to him. A personal hero of his became a murderous madman. “Villains do speak loudly. But…” He found a freeze frame of the battle, where the other teen heroes were throwing themselves at Captain Virtue. Jake pointed at each of them in turn. “These people, teenagers, did the right thing. I don’t think people are cynical enough to discount that.”

Jake makes his way out onto the balcony and looks out over the party. “She mentioned it. I’ll tell you like I told her, I can’t promise anything. My independence from governments and corporate interests is very important to the way I do things. But if you want to step away from sponsorships, well… then I might be interested.” Jake gave a friendly grin.

Green Bean
2014-07-17, 10:49 AM
Jeff was just a little bit won over by Colbert's admission, and certainly mutants in the workplace was something he cared about pretty deeply. "They'll come around someday - there's more pros to meta workers than cons. It's just right now it's dangerous; a worksite employs metas in a public way, there's gonna be threats, and every so often the threats get carried out."

MrE
2014-07-21, 06:33 AM
Anna stopped abruptly: how had the woman seen her? There was something strange about her, that was for certain. Returning to her body in the bathroom, Anna began to seriously consider fleeing: she clearly wasn't ready for the big leagues... But Merle needed her to do this, and she had promised to help him and Jake.

Stepping out of the bathroom, she decided she would attempt a more mundane search of the area, though she made certain to avoid that strange woman.

LordHavelock
2014-07-23, 03:16 PM
Morgenstern nodded and offered a smile of his own to match Jake's grin. "Indeed. Now, obviously a lot of people are hoping that the United Earth Protectorate will be just that organization, but frankly, I don't see that happening. The UEP is too reactive; they're about putting out fires, or at most, catching the arsonists in the act, but if you'll allow me to extend the metaphor, we need a group who is willing to take the initiative on fire safety. What I propose is . . . ." August pauses, looking down pointedly at the square where the bulk of the gala is gathered, in what looks to be the first thing approaching surprise Jake has yet seen the man display. "What in the world is going on down there . . ." He trails off, all but pointing down to the gala's entrance.

Anna's search of the party at large is interrupted when a trio of rather garishly dressed mobs of persons in matching colors, most of them wearing bandannas or scarves in a similar shade of orange to conceal features. All of them men are armed, though most only with improvised, but none-the-less intimidating weapons for the party guests. A handful of more seriously armed men, similarly attired but with body armor underneath the uniform of whatever gang they're representing, are holding hostage some of the hired security for the event, demanding they drop their weapons as the crowd of belligerent thugs stroll through the throngs of people, jostling and making offensive comments, though not going so far as yet to harm anyone or make demands of wallets, jewelry, etc.

As the Assembly for Metahuman Affairs becomes the site of apparently some kind of less than friendly demonstration, the most disturbing element is when a number of the hired security literally turn their coats, inverting the blazers that signify them to be security personnel to reveal the same orange gang-colorings and some kind of emblem that looks to be an 'H' and a '1'. "Your attention ladies and gentlemen!" Calls out what can only be the gang's leader, though he doesn't look particularly distinct from any of the other gang members besides the smattering of paramilitary types and former security personnel, "We are your friendly, neighborhood chapter of Humans First! Remember the name, because it's also our motto: That the common man, the everyman, the masses of the people must always come before those that would put themselves above."

This is apparently some sort of cue, as the other members of the gang break off and begin to set about flipping over tables, smashing furniture, and especially directing their wrath towards the exhibits showcasing the achievements which the Assembly for Metahuman Advancement has gone to such lengths to prepare and display. At this, members of the gathered assembly are clearly outraged, and while none seem willing to confront the armed men, they do begin to boo and attempt to shout down the ruffians. The spokesman however continues, undeterred, "You are the problem, you elitist pigs, brokering power and influence above the law, above justice, and above accountability to those you exploit, and you wrap yourselves in the so called achievements . . ." The spokesman makes a point of throwing a nearby drink onto a depiction of a depiction of Captain Dauntless as he battles Nazi secret science war machines, "Of the 'heroes' and 'heroines' you've already bought and paid for. We are here to preach for equality! That all supers, metas, and whatever you hope to brand yourselves as to give up their capes and their masks and crusade, with us, for equality."

The spokesman suddenly turns and points directly at a particular woman in a shimmering champagne colored dress, who has already maneuvered herself apart from the throngs of frightened and frantic guests only to find herself now singled out. "What do you say, Hallow? Does the UEP stand with us, or are they the corporate dogs and political lackeys we all suspect them to be." The spokesman says, sauntering towards her, twirling a painted and nail-ridden baseball bat in one hand deftly as he does, and were that not enough, "As if I have to ask, when you dress yourself up like one of them, basking in the laud and attention of high society. I bet you wouldn't lift a finger to help a man off the street if there wasn't an endorsement deal somewhere in your future for doing so." The spokesman spits at her feet, "You make me sick."

Throughout the entire speech, the woman identified as Hallow, poster girl for the United Earth Protectorate manages to keep her cool, sparing only an occasional glance at the Assembly and the interlopers to make sure that even while the exhibits are destroyed, at least no one is being harmed. "Say what you want, but you're not going to bait me. You're not looking for equality, you're looking to intimidate and exploit every bit as much as those you claim to fight." She responds, as she takes a pointed step forward and her shimmering gown suddenly glows with a radiant light that resolves itself into her crime-fighting uniform: a creamy hued outfit somewhere between a martial artists gi and Greco-Roman robes, fringed with glowing golden runes. "There's no reason to hurt these people or you can't belittle the achievements of super heroes everywhere just by smashing up a party. The police are no doubt already on their way, and as long as you aren't an immediate threat," She smirks dismissively, to a smattering of cheers throughout the crowd, "There's no reason I have to get involved except to testify to your terrorist actions."

SuperCracker
2014-07-23, 03:41 PM
Jake

Jake’s eyes were no longer looking at Morgenstern as the commotion began to rise up. It was a bad situation, people with weapons and guns in a room full of people. What made this more troubling were the hostages, the other metahumans in attendance here. If either side struck, this could turn into a bloodbath. Someone not only needed to save the party-goers, but the armed men themselves.

Morgenstern asked what was going on, Jake had a quick reply, “Pretty much exactly what I was warning you about.” With that, the King gripped hopped the railing, falling a few meters before the ethereal stylized wings appeared brightly near his sneakers, floating him down to a place between the gunmen and the crowd. Excalibur isn’t drawn. In fact, Jake’s hands are nowhere near the blade.

“You want to talk about exploiting the common man? What about those guys you’re pointing guns at? Do you think they’re millionaires with indescribable superpower? What about the waiters and waitresses at this event? Judging by the rent in this town, they’re probably living with room-mates in small apartments while they go to school. Yet here you are, getting ready to endanger them, threatening to kill those guards you have – whose only crime was coming to work tonight.” Jake points his finger at the man who was doing the talking.

“That said, I get your point. This entire gala here? Ridiculous. I always say that you should let your actions speak for you. The same can be said for you. What do your actions say when you put a gun to the head of a guy that never did anything to you?”

He is silent for a beat.

“Put the weapons down. Let’s talk. You and me. No one has to get hurt or go to jail. Whatever the problems are, I’ll do something about it. If you know anything about me, you know that’s true. But we have to do it without killing people.”

Diplomacy time! [roll0]

Green Bean
2014-07-23, 04:21 PM
If anyone was looking for Jeff when the gang started busting up the party, they wouldn't have found him, because he was at home, getting changed into his hero outfit between microseconds.

If anyone was looking for Jeff when the gang leader was threatening the crowd, they wouldn't have found him, because, moving so fast he was barely perceptible, he was approaching the gangsters from behind and deftly picking the ammo out of their weapons.

If anyone was looking for Jeff when Hallow made her stand, they wouldn't have found him, because he was dumping a truly massive array of ammunition and backup weapons in the one of the party's industrial-grade kitchen sinks. He flicked on the garbage disposal on his way out.

And if anyone was looking for Jeff when Jake finished his speech, they wouldn't have found him, because now Mercury was standing opposite the King, sandwiching the gang between them. He slow-clapped in response to that stirring oration (it may have been a little sarcastic, but corniness aside, Jake made legit points). "What he said. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm pretty sure most of the people here are human garbage. But not all of them."

Routine Sleight of Hand to steal ammo - DC 29 Perception check for anyone to pick up on that fact.

kpenguin
2014-07-23, 04:30 PM
The Ironclad Surfaces

Horton instinctively looks over at Jeff when the gangsters come in, moving to step between him and the gangsters. The Ironclad Man knows that Jeff can take care of himself, but old habits die hard. Its for naught, however. Between Horton lifting his foot and placing it down, Jeff had already left, put on his costume, come back, disarmed all the gangsters of their ammunition, and was standing next to that young man making a speech, giving his own little quip. He moves fast.

The Ironclad Man wonders for a brief second the significance of what such a fast man slows down for. But there were more pressing issues. These people came in disguised. There might be other dangers in the crowd that haven't revealed themselves.

[roll0]
[roll1]

MrE
2014-07-23, 06:08 PM
Anna turned with surprise when the orange-clad gangsters stormed in. She stepped back into the crowd instinctively, sheltering amongst the masses. But the hate that these men spoke was directed at her she knew it: they were trying to isolate those with powers beyond mortal man's.

She hurriedly tried to formulate a plan, but though she felt confident in her ability to escape, she didn't much fancy her chances of stopping all these gun-totting gangsters, innocents were bond to get hurt. And she had learned well her lesson from the Ironman, not to be overly zealous.

In the end, she was saved from needing to formulate a plan, when Jake stepped forth from the crowd and confronted the leader of the group. He really was meant to be a king! Anna marvels, appreciating for the first time how much Jake had grown up in the last few years.

She saw the Ironman step forwards as well and was taken a back for a moment, but this was an event for the empowered, so why not?

She didn't have the same courage as the others, so she retreated further into the crowd and began to summon her powers. First her reactions increased and everything appeared to be happening in slow motion, whilst at the same time she vanished from sight, hidden from mortal senses.

Speed of the Fey: Improved Initiative +8
Cloak of Shadows: Concealment 8 (Visual [All], Hearing [All], Scent [All], Passive)

Dorni
2014-07-24, 12:49 AM
Elijah

Elijah took a sip of his drink and studied Mr. Morgenstern's aura over his glass. It looked simple and subdued - an ethereal, silvery blue halo which precisely mimicked his movements, except for a few subtle bits of color and lines that were at odds with the rest of it. A second later, Elijah's eyes widened as those oddities clicked into place. He wasn't seeing just August Morgenstern. Figures within figures were super-imposed on one another upon August himself, all of them bearing the same countenance, demeanor, and taking nigh-identical actions in concordance with Morgenstern's own, but their number and diversity is staggering. Men and women both were represented and the longer Elijah looked the more figures he was able to pick out. They came from every decade, era, age stretching back more than a thousand years. The only point on which they all match are the eyes, which blaze like unfathomable pools of silver blue fire. Elijah tore his eyes away before he could become lost in the depth of the man's aura.

A deep breath later, he opened his eyes and peered into his drink. No surprises awaited Elijah in its depths. Beside him, Mr. Valiant still wore an easy smile. "Is your drink alright?" The smile faded as he traced where Elijah had been looking moments earlier. His tone calmed, no longer joking. "What'd you see?"

Elijah shook his head to clear it. It was rare that a simple aura reading would phase him, let alone shake him up. He opened his mouth to reply, when the sudden screams alerted him to the gang. "I'll explain later. Be ready."

Before Elijah could step forward, Jake had beaten him to it. It was the first time that night that he'd gotten a clear look at Jake, and despite the serious situation he couldn't help but smile. The unformed potential that he'd seen in him years ago had taken shape; to Elijah's eyes, Jake was clad from head to toe in the shining golden armor of a valiant knight. Strapped to his outstretched hand was a kite shield emblazoned with a noble dragon. Both the armor and the shield bore small dents and scratches of hardship, but they only served to emphasize that the knight had withstood troubles and still stood proudly.

It was a start contrast with the thug who stood opposite. Superimposed on the thug was an image that might have been a preacher, but it was impossible to tell, because his clothing was too worn and dirty to make it out. Whatever had been written on the orange poster he carried had been scratched out and overwritten until it was an illegible mess. The thug had once had something he'd strongly believed in, but now he'd lost sight of it. He might not even know what it was he was doing anymore. It was a little saddening. Despite Jake's speech, the thug's aura was still confident. Confident in his companions, and in some secret. Something elusive. The thug had a hole card.

Elijah drew in his Power and calmly walked out from the crowd, drink still in hand. His gaze on the thug held a piercing intensity. "It isn't too late, you know." He came to a stop at Jake's side, half a step behind the young king in a quiet statement. Mr. Valiant invisibly flanked Jake's other side, mirroring Elijah. "You once believed, and it gave you strength. But now, do you even know what it is you're working towards? What will this achieve?" He looked pointedly around the room at the destroyed tables and exhibits before returning his attention to the leader. "It isn't too late to turn away from this path. Your confidence in your 'surprise' is misplaced."

Making a Persuasion check to Assist Jake. [roll0]

LordHavelock
2014-07-24, 02:39 PM
The spokesman seems momentarily considerate of Jake's words, pausing in his own rant and attentions towards Hallow, clearly his focal point for hatred against the United Earth Protectorate, but in the end only snorts derisively, and shrugs. "Talk? Sure, you and me can talk later, about what we're going to do about the likes of her," he gestures pointedly at Hallow, and as soon as Jake makes his presence known on the seen, towards him as well, "and this guy, and whatever other fascist lap-dogs show up in the next 5 minutes, whether they have powers or not."

Though Jake seems to have made some progress, enough to keep the man talking rather than orchestrate some escalation in violence, it is Elijah's words which suddenly strike him, causing him to stop in surprise before narrowing his gaze. The spokesman's apparent smile beneath his bandana resumes a split-second later however as he reaches into his vest and withdraws some smallish, palm sized object. "You mean, this?" he says, handling it gingerly, the small, dark oblong shape in his hand, "I don't know how you knew about our added party favor here, friend, but since you brought it up . . . you can have it. Catch!"

The spokesman tosses the object towards Elijah, the smallish device having one single flashing blue light on it's face as it rotates through the air towards him. Though perhaps not strictly speaking and act of aggression, this prompts Hallow to fly into action, not willing to risk whatever the thing is endangering one of the other guests, and reaches out one hand, a ray of light emanating instantaneously to catch the object in midair. Whatever other action she might have intended is cut-short however, when the device is activated, not exploding or combusting, but seeming to implode in on itself and causing the ray of light emanating from Hallow's hand to suddenly twist, contort, and crackle with off-color arcs of mystic power. Hallow meanwhile looks as though she has been stricken, and the ray of light she used to catch the device recedes, vanishes, causing a smoking husk of whatever it was to fall to the ground even as she suddenly doubles over, the shimmering aura of magic power that surrounds her appearing to go haywire, contorting and twisting until with a flash of light and the slightest wafting of smoke, she falls to the ground unconscious, the smell of ozone ripe in the air.

SuperCracker
2014-07-24, 03:57 PM
Jake

Words seem to have been wasted on this guy and his cronies. Because even though he was getting a gold-plated olive branch, this guy decided to chuck a grenade at Jake’s former classmate. Furthermore, that techno-grenade caused Hallow to collapse.

The time for talking was over. Well, the normal kind, anyhow.

“You know, I like to think that I’m a pretty reasonable guy. I gave you the chance to simply walk away from a path that leads to your incarceration. But nope. You have to toss a grenade.”

Jake looked at the cronies, then the spokesman himself. Jake spoke again, a powerful, ancient magic let loose with every syllable he spoke. The only way to stop it was to cover one’s ears… but that’s hard to do when your hands are filled with weapons, isn’t it? One way or another, those things would hit the ground.

“Throw your weapons down.” Those words were filled with divine authority

King’s Command. Selective, so I’m only targeting these Human First guys. They can drop what’s in their hands to cover their ears with a DC 20 dodge check or not take it, I guess. DC 20 will save vs. his mind controlling affliction.

Green Bean
2014-07-24, 04:15 PM
Mercury had assumed this was going to be a fight, and surprise surprise, it was one. Of course, a guy like Mercury was really, really hard to get a leg up on.

Initiative: [roll0]

Dorni
2014-07-26, 11:46 AM
Elijah

As Jake's divine words washed out over the gallery, Elijah let out barely a whisper.

"I need to borrow your strength"

If anyone had been able, they'd have seen Mr. Valiant's ghostly form be sucked into Elijah, their auras mingling. To anyone else, they'd just see Elijah take a deep breath and abruptly appear more stable. It wasn't that he grew larger or bulkier, but his posture became that of a much more powerful man. He crossed his arms just slid across the floor, feet maybe an inch off the floor. He planted himself in front of Hallow; to get to her, they'd have to go through him.

While the King handled the goons, Elijah spared a quick glance for Hallow, checking her condition.
How is she? Can you heal her?
I'm not sure. That bomb was clever - it created a momentary magical vacuum. It sucked in Hallow's spell and disrupted her magic abilities.
Think of it like an air bubble in the bloodstream causing a heart attack.
Sounds like it was tailored for her then. How do you think that a street gang got hold of it?
Don't know. It's definitely something you'd need a genius to put together.

A suspicion hit Elijah. Some part of him felt guilty, but Dr. Nordson hadn't stepped forward with Hallow. Where was he?

Channelling Mr. Valient. Elijah will gain Str 10, FTG 5, Flight 2, & Interpose from Mr. Valiant
Move Action to stand in front of Hallow
Declaring Interpose on Hallow.
Doing a Treatment check to try and assess her condition. I'm not looking for a complete diagnosis, just whether its something Elijah can fix with Healing or if its an Affliction of some kind.
Perception to quickly scan the room for Dr. Nordson: [roll0]

kpenguin
2014-07-28, 02:34 PM
Ironclad Ships Out

Horton tenses as the terrorist leader tosses what he assumed grenade. It seemed, however, whatever was in that device was callibrated just right to knock out that young woman. Hallow, they said her name was.

The Ironclad Man glances around, seeing the various metahumans in the room gearing up for a fight. Seemed to him that these folks were either dumb as all hell attacking an event where known superheroes were congregating or they had another trick up their sleeves. This might not be the main event at all.

Still, there were innocents to take care of. Horton might not be a fan of their lifestyle, but he wasn't about to let them be in danger either.

[roll0]

LordHavelock
2014-07-29, 02:39 PM
At Jake's words, ringing with a kind of sublime authority for those of the Humans First gang within the immediate vicinity, the orange clad thugs all stop, turn, and immediately drop their weapons. The five armed men breaking up the nearest exhibit, three more at the buffet table causing a mess, and even the spokesman of the gang are all suddenly awestruck by The King before them, and without any further hesitation, the weapons in their hands clatter to the ground. Easily half the brigade of thugs is now enthralled by Jake's divine authority, and as the other half turn to look, some of them begin to take notice of Mercury's handiwork, suddenly filled with dismay that the smattering of rifles and hand-guns between them are now, suddenly, unloaded. While Elijah moves across the courtyard to tend to Hallow, their is the resounding crack of rifle fire that rings out, causing the crowd of civilians to duck, various gang members not affected by Jake's Voice to raise their weapons in alarm, and the spokesman now enthralled to collapse to the ground, apparently the intended target of the sniper.

"We're with you King Wallace!" Comes a voice from within the crowd, as the sea of civilians parts to reveal a dazzlingly beautiful blonde woman attired in a flowing white toga that does little to conceal her shapely figure, and a golden wreath set upon her nearly equally golden tresses. "Mythos won't stand for the actions of these terrorists! Meta-Humans Unite!" She calls out, gesturing in one hand with a long stalk of golden grain which extends towards one of thugs Jake had disarmed, and though it only seems to brush him lightly, the H1 gang member collapses bodily to the ground, his eyes rolling back into his head.

Elsewhere in the crowd their are gasps of surprise as another pair of figures make their presence known, drawing themselves up to a great height to tower over others as he stamps hooved feet against the ground and cracks his knuckles. Attired in a vest and shorts which reveal bulging superhuman musculature, his skin is covered in an auburn vellum and the horns which slope forward from his brow like a bulls give him all the appearance of a minotaur, even possessing a ring between his nostrils to complete the effect. On the other side there is a much more fightening interloper, their whole person covered in what looks to be dull, chitinous plates which extend outward into wickedly curved claws and blades at their hands, joints and even from over their shoulders in third set of limbs. Anyone with the presence of mind to look for the muzzle flash of the sniper quickly makes out the figure at the balcony of the building closest to the entrance of the square, his foot on the rail and a large military rifle hefted in both hands as he does little to conceal himself. From this distance it is difficult to make out, but the sniper seems to have thrown anything approaching stealth or caution to the wind, standing upright and in plain view and wearing what looks to be a mane of some kind.

The crowd begins to panic, scattering now that the Humans First gang members seem to have either been disarmed or their attention shifted, but the new supers don't seem nearly as attentive towards the crowd as they are intent on avenging Hallow and teaching the thugs a lesson.

Combat has begun! Bit a sticky opening in order to make it all work out dramatically as planned, but it will proceed per normal rules in the following Initiative Order:

Mercury, Green Bean
Anna, MrE
Jake, SuperCracker
H1 Gangers
Elijah, Dorni
Ironclad, Kpenguin
Unknown Supers

I'll do my best to work out a map but for now, if you need to know how far away someone or something is, just ask.

Jake is in control of 7 of the H1 Thugs, but their are still 12 remaining, in 3 groups of four thugs each. One at the entrance, holding the security guards hostage, and the other two on the far side of the square from Jake, Hallow, Mercury, and Elijah busying themselves destroying exhibits.

Green Bean
2014-07-29, 03:32 PM
Mercury moves against the remaining gang of thugs, though considering the speeds involved, that may have been a bit of an understatement. The area around the hostage-takers was abruptly a whirlwind of flying fists, one which threatened to spread to the other goons.

Using 'Slap in the Face' against one of the hostage-taking thugs. I'm taking 10 for a roll of 25 to hit, DC 20 Toughness Save.

It's a Multiattack power, so if 25 exceeds their parry by 5, it's a DC 22 Save, and if it exceeds their Parry by 10, it's a DC 25 Save.

I've also got Takedown 2, so if the guy fails his save I can make the same attack against the next guy, and so on until I fail to take someone out, or run out of movement or minions. For reference, I can move 1000 miles/round.

SuperCracker
2014-07-29, 09:56 PM
Jake

“First off, wrong Nomenclature. Second, stop. You’re making it worse. Back off.” He shouts at Goldilocks (as Jake now decided that she should be called, since he doesn’t know her actual name). She’s attacking a man who had dropped his weapon already. Now, he’d done so against his will, but unarmed he still was. Jake had to make sure those men were out of the way.

“Go as far from here as you can,” he commands those under his thrall at the moment. His command is simple, and it will remove enemies from the area and keep them from being pulverized by these trigger happy “Mythos” people.

Those capes seem hell bent on exacting some punishment. It was plain to anyone with eyes and a brain. Jake couldn’t let that happen. Good thing no one knew he had perfect control over who this next trick effects.

With a quick, practiced motion, Jake unsheathes Excalibur. The blade was nearly white, and erupted in a blinding light as it came free of his scabbard, blinding those Jake wanted it to blind. In this case, that was all of the remaining thugs, the Mythos goons, and the sniper above. Jake then lifted inches off of the ground, speeding towards the Humanity First spokesman who had been shot. Hopefully in time to save him, Jake holds Excalibur high as a warm wave of light bursts outward, healing and soothing.

Confident that if the man could be saved, that would do it, Jake sets his sights upon the would-be killer. Time to take the sniper’s toy away from him. The wings on his sneakers flare up and Jake rockets into the air, sword at the ready. If this guy wanted to shoot someone, shoot at Jake.

Quick draw for unsheathing Excalibur. Triggered Blinding Flash happens. Selective Perception ranged, so everyone looking this way (I’m looking at you, Sniper) that I’m targeting gets affected. DC 20 dodge check if they try to cover their eyes, then DC 20 Fort check vs. Affliction (Impaired/Disabled/Unaware).

Free action to switch Excalibur power to Healing Light.

Jake takes his movement and then uses a standard action for Healing Light, stabilizing the spokesman and healing at +10 on the check.

Move-by Action lets me keep moving, so Jake shoots up towards the sniper. Flight Speed 8.

MrE
2014-07-30, 04:30 AM
As blood blossomed from the spokesman's chest, Anna spun, scanning the area for signs of an assailant. But they were not hard to find. Supers were popping up in the crowd, ready and willing to fight back. Anna's heart surged as more joined their ranks, though these she didn't know.

It was time to punish these terrorists: they had powers, and it was perfectly right to use them in their own defence! But then she saw Jake trying to send the men away - what was he doing? These men needed to be captured and taken to jail.

Widening her stance, Anna raised one palm and once more expanded her senses. This time she sought a weakness in the world, a rent that she could exploit. She found one and the entrance to the hall was suddenly filled with light. The radiance resolved into a pair of medieval looking iron gates, that parted to reveal a window, looking in on the gala from another angle.

Teleport: Portal. Create two adjoining portals filling two of the main entrances to the party, facing inwards. Someone who walks through one will come out of the other, back into the gala.

LordHavelock
2014-07-30, 01:44 PM
While the crowd continues to dissipate, rushing for the relative safety of the buildings in the plaza, right past those Humans First gang members Jake had subdued and was now ordering to retreat. Some ran for the entrance, but with the presence of a few remaining Humans First gunmen there and the sniper, it was not where the majority of the the frightened social elite were headed. Anna's portals opening up in front of the entrance did cut off the retreat of several of a few of the more startled gang members. With the attention of the humans first gang members now firmly fixed on the supers, those who still have their weapons in hand are about to open fire on the most immediate appearing threats of Jason, Mercury, and the woman with the stalk and circlet, only to find themselves the victim of Jeff's handiwork, as they are forced to reload with only the few spare clips they had remaining.

Mercury incapacitates 5 of the remaining gang members, leaving 4 at the entrance, and 3 at the buffet table.
Those still under Jake's control begin moving in a much more orderly fashion than the civilians away from the plaza.
The four gang members at the entrance are blinded, and the minotaur looking Super is impaired, but the others are unphased, including the Sniper.
Jake's healing light stabilizes the dying spokesman, and his remaining movement carries him directly to the Sniper.
Anna's portals seal off the most direct entrance to the plaza.
The remaining armed gang members are forced to spend their action reloading.

Elijah and Horton are up.

Dorni
2014-07-31, 09:13 PM
Elijah

We need to stop this! Mythos could turn this into a bloodbath!
Yeah. I think that's their plan.
What makes you say that?
There's a fight to stop now.
Was it their sniper already being in place?
That's part of it.

Elijah let go of his connection to Mr. Valiant; he'd need his full power for what came next. It only took him a moment to form his Binding, but instead of releasing it immediately he poured Power into it. When he released the spell, it exploded forth as a wave of spiritual energy, Binding in place the spirits of all the thugs.

Switching from Channeling to Empower Spellcasting.
Move Action to use Empower Spellcasting to add Area(Burst), Selective, and Subtle 1 (total 12pp) to Binding.
Standard Action to cast Binding. Since I'm not sure where exactly everyone is, in order of priority: I want to place it in an area that contains the remaining H1 thugs with guns, then as many of the Mythos members as possible, then any remaining H1 thugs. All affected individuals need to make a Dodge DC 20 vs Affliction, then Will DC 20 (Hindered / Immobilized / Paralyzed).

kpenguin
2014-08-03, 04:46 AM
Ironclad Puts His Foot Down

Everything was happening so fast. The kid with the winged shoes and the sword was making speeches and there were people revealing themselves as Metahumans and one of the Human First types just got a bullet through the chest. Horton watches the kid with the winged shoes do some sort of healing hand on the downed man then fly up to where Horton could see a sniper.

Good head on his shoulders, that kid.

It looked like there was going to be a big superhuman brawl, one way or another. But the civilians were leaving in a disorganized fashion, though thankfully with haste. Horton had seen this scene play out before. Things could get messy if it turned into a stampede. Trying to get everyone out through the entrance crossed Horton's mind, but it seemed that way had been blocked by magic. He spots that girl he confronted not too long ago using her magics to maintain the portals. Perhaps she was with these Mythos types.

Instead of the exit and getting all the civilians out, Horton decides the next best course of action would be to get them inside the buildings. Those buildings could collapse in the ensuing fight, of course, but at least they'd provide cover from gunfire Bending his legs, and knowing he likely wasn't going to be able to return this suit, Horton leaps over to the most open building entrance and calls to the crowd.

"Everyone here please! Y'all stay calm and get to cover in here! Calm now! Orderly now!"

But his words do little to stem the panic.

[roll0]

LordHavelock
2014-08-04, 08:16 PM
As Horton literally leaps into action, trying to corral the unruly civilians into the buildings, Elijah positions himself so as to use his own mystic powers to bind the remaining thugs, and those nearest members of Mythos, apart from the sniper, and prevent any more violence. While he is successful in freezing in place the remaining members of the anti-meta hate-group, the metahuman aggressors are dismissive of it's effects, only the strangely carapaced individual registering a cloying tug against their movements as Eljah's spell seeks to hinder them.

Fortunately for the Man-of-Iron, Mr. Colbert is one of those who hears him, and managing to keep his own sense of presence, grabs the attention of anyone and everyone around him who will listen and starts directing them to where Horton is waiting to usher them inside. Apparently undeterred by the civilians, and with the members of Human's First now either frozen in place, or else fleeing the scene, the members of Mythos direct their attention elsewhere. Identifying Elijah as the source of the entangling force, the clawed and armored Mythos hisses a very unfriendly greeting towards the young shaman, and leaps, through the air, apparently retaining enough mobility to land directly in front of him, and strikes out with their apparently organic pincers.

The sniper meanwhile, confronted by Jake takes a half a step back, grinning to reveal oversized, saber-like teeth, the mane he wears apparently an extension of his hair, and overall giving him a leonine appearance. What use he might have a gun is made apparent by the use he makes of it, as the heavy military piece of hardware is spun expertly off of one shoulder and onto the other, as the shooter aims and fires not at Jake, but at the sword in his hand! The woman in the gossamer toga meanwhile, turns her attention to Mercury, sidling towards him, with the larger, bull-man in tow. "Smart thinking disarming them all like that, but I guess you're pretty quick on the uptake." says the fellow metahuman in a melodiously sweet voice, "I'm sure you're on our side then, that these trogs deserve what's coming to them?" Her voice is plaintiff and sincere, but behind her, the hulking form of her fellow Mythos member seems poised for action.

Horton leaps to the far side of the plaza though his words convince only a handful of folks, until Colbert adds his two cents.
Mythos Close Attack vs Elijah: [roll0]; DC 25/27/30 Toughness Resistance Check on hit (Multiattack).
Disarm Action by Sniper against Jake: [roll1]; Opposed check of Damage vs Jake's STR: [roll2]

New Round begins!
Jake, Anna, & Mercury are now up.

SuperCracker
2014-08-04, 08:58 PM
Jake

Jake had a big grin on his face as he soared up to the Leonine Sniper. He spun his blade with a flourish, ready to slash this guy’s sniper rifle in two. He had brought a gun to a swordfight! Time to witness a master swordsman at work, yes sir, it’s going to be – BOOM.

Oh crap. Jake made a face, exhaling a brief groan as he saw Excalibur fall down below. Well, at least no one can make off with it. Jake looked up at the grinning meta, who surely thought he had just won this battle.

“Oh no,” Jake said, raising his hands as if surrendering. “You’ve disarmed me. That means I don’t have any way to fight you. I guess I should FUS RO DAH!”

As Jake spoke the third word, a loud blasting sound came from his mouth right at the Sniper. Jake then flew around the building a bit, getting some cover from future sniper-fire.

Using the eponymous power. Close Cone Affliction 10. Targets Fort. Vulnerable/Prone/Incapacitated. The power has subtle (not the effect, but the initiation of it), so he may catch him off-guard.

Green Bean
2014-08-04, 09:24 PM
Jeff swallowed his immediate reply of 'Trog'? What're you, sixteen and trying to shock your mom? Certainly, he wasn't one to look down on militancy, considering the way he was back when he and Adam were in high school, back when they were real firebrands willing to rush Washington and damn the consequences. But, he got older, experienced more of life, and very quickly learned about blowback, and how you couldn't just fight away societal problems. It was a tempting solution, but one that just made things worse, immediately and long-term.

"Look, 'deserve' means exactly jack squat, and always has. The goon squad's down, so how about this; we get everyone to cut out the fighting and go home? I'll have a chat with Houdini and Prince Charming, you rein in your buddies. The day is saved, everyone walks away the good guy, except these pricks who get to rot in jail for a while." Mercury's tone was reasonable, if a bit impatient, but he wasn't stupid. He had both the toga lady and the big guy in his sights, and if either of them made a move, he'd have plenty of time to take action.

Readying an action to use Deflect on any target either of them try to attack.

kpenguin
2014-08-05, 12:06 AM
The Ironclad Friend

Ironclad nods solemnly at Colbert, giving his thanks, and then runs over to where Jeff is making his stand. Around him, Ironclad notices that each and every H1 thug seems to be neutralized. And yet these Mythos types remain out for blood.

Hopefully, they wouldn't get any. As he arrives, he catches the tail end of Mercury's words and stands next to him.

"The threat's over. Seems to me there's no good reason for any further violence."

Ironclad looks them both in the eye and tries to muster a smile. "And there's definitely no reason for violence between us, if we're all on the same side. The day's saved, right? Listen to Mercury. Call this a victory."

Move action to get over to where Jeff is. Hopefully my Speed is enough to do it in one, but I'm willing to do it in two. If its in one, then Ironclad uses his Standard to ready an action to Grab the Bull-Man if they make a hostile action.

[roll0]

He'll also Interpose if they attack Mercury or squishies.

Dorni
2014-08-05, 12:15 AM
Elijah

Elijah took a hasty step back, out of the range of the crab-man's pincers. Instead of fighting him, Elijah instead reached out his Power to Mr. Valiant, tugging him back into the mortal realm. The Captain felt the tug and immediately lept between the two, trying to grab on to the meta-human and restrain him.

With the hostile meta-human occupied, Elijah took another leap backwards, working another magic. Fireburst, loan me your voice.

Had anyone been able to watch, they would have seen the ghost of a young woman shimmer into existence before being sucked into Elijah much as the Captain had been earlier. Halway through his leap, jets of fire blasted forth from Elijah's feet, propelling him away from the scuffle and over to where Mercury was facing off with the remaining 2 meta-humans.

Hey, what happened to the party?
A gang happened. We dealt with them, now we need to stop another super-group from killing them.
And just how does interrupting my practice session do that?
I might have a chance to talk down their leader.
See, this is why you should have brought me along in the first place. You still owe me, by the way.

Elijah cut the jets and came to a stop next to Mercury. It would have been hard to point out any precise changes to his appearance from a moment ago save this: he looked good. Oh, he'd looked fine in his suit during the party, but all of a sudden it seemed to fit him perfectly and he possessed an intangible charm that had been missing earlier.

"I see you're this group's spokeswoman," he said, putting a slight emphasis on the last word. "I'd listen to them," he said, nodding at Ironclad and Mercury. "These thugs aren't a threat anymore. If you stop now, these thugs go to jail and tomorrow's headline will be about how you heroicly stopped them and saved Hallow. Good PR, Mythos gets mentioned alongside the King, and the UEP might even owe you a favor. If you go after them now, that headline will be about a group of meta-humans overreacting and starting a bloodbath. UEP wants nothing to do with you and the police might even go after you instead. I'd say that's an easy choice. Tell your people to stand down. Its the right choice." He glances over at the minotaur. "Ain't that right, Hombre?"

Switching Spirits array to Mr. Valiant
Mr Valient: Standard Action to melee attack the Mythos crab-man. Attack (All-Out-Attack 2) [roll0], DC 27 Toughness vs Damage and DC 22 Str or Dodge vs Grab.

Switching Channel array to Fireburst. (Gaining Fire Control 6, Attractive, Power Attack, Defensive Attack, Persuasion 12, Flight 2 (35pp))
Elijah: Move action to fly near Mercury
Elijah: Standard action to attempt to Persuade the Mythos lady & bull to call off the fight. [roll1]. +2 If Attractive applies.

MrE
2014-08-05, 02:39 AM
Anna moved the crowd, still unassuming where the other heroes had made themselves plain. Yet she wasn't quite sure which side she was on. She had no intention of letting those thugs getaway with their crimes, and wanted them punished as Mythos seemed to. But this fight could be over now, should be over now.

Moving towards the main group she readied herself to incapacitate any of the Mythos team that tried to attack the other heroes.

Ready action to cast Curse of Lot: Affliction vs Fortitude Rank 12, Vulnerable/Disabled/Incapcitated, Ranged

LordHavelock
2014-08-07, 10:56 PM
The leonine sniper that Jake has confronted certainly looks surprised when Jake suddenly unleashes the full divine authority in his voice, and the weight of it literally bringing him crushingly down to his knees and subsequently into a fully prostrate position before 'The King'. He does however, manage to maintain the hold on his weapon, and his previous cocky smirk as he stood vaingloriously in defiance of a normal gunman's shooting position is gone, replaced with a vengeful glare as he shifts into a perfect, prone position, shouldering the sniper's rifle as if it were a much lighter and more handy combat rifle, and fires another shot that seems to Jake to move in slow-motion, to the exclusion of all else around him as the rifle round zeroes in at the center of his chest.

As Mr. Valiant becomes incarnate right between Elijah and the crustacean mythos member, the claw-armed metahuman pauses just long enough for the newly corporeal apparition to land a solid hit and swing the carapaced assailant into an arm-bar, giving Elijah the opportunity he needs to join Mercury, currently squaring off with the man-bull and herald.

With Fireburst lending Elijah some honey to his words, the mythos members look momentarily placated, the robe wearing spokes-woman even about to respond when Elijah's last word suddenly make her musclebound companion see red. "He knows!" the burly metahuman bellows as he steps past the stunned woman and takes a wild swing at Elijah, which Ironclad is just in time to step between, managing to get a hand on the bull's shoulder and redirect the blow into his own steely frame. The civilians duck as the impact of the two super-strong, super-tough supers against one another results in a sound like a cannon being fired, and to Horton the blow feels more like the shell of just such a cannon had struck him square on.

Even as he does so however, Anna is ready with her spell and unleashes her curse upon the bovine bruiser, and suddenly he is appears a good deal more unsteady and vulnerable.

Leonine Sniper takes a Perception Damage attack at Jake: Roll a Toughness Resistance Check please.
Mr. Valiant successfully grapples Crab-Man and they are unable to escape.
Bull-guy hits Horton; Toughness Resistance Check please, but he is Afflicted by Anna's curse.

Top of the order, PCs may act.

Dorni
2014-08-12, 12:09 AM
Elijah

Elijah took a step back from the clash between the bruisers. He wasn't sure who the man with the birdcage aura was, but he'd stepped between Elijah and the bull-man and managed to stop him. "If I did, making me your enemy wouldn't be a good way to get my silence. Stand down and everyone walks away."

I still need your help, but any chance of ending this peacefully goes out the window if I throw your fire at them. Be ready though
Yea, but seriously, what deep dark secret did you unearth this time?

The shaman released his connection to Fireburst, instead channeling his power into another binding and unleashing it on the minotaur. "Stand. Down."

Meanwhile, Mr. Valiant continued subduing his opponent, tightening his grip on the crab-man.

Elijah:
Standard Action: Binding (power attack 2) on the Minotaur. Attack [roll0]. DC 22 Will vs Affliction (Hindered/Immobilized/Paralyzed)

Mr. Valiant:
Standard: Attempt new grapple check to increase grip on Crab-man. (All out Attack 5, Power Attack 3) [roll1]. DC 25 Str or Dodge.

Green Bean
2014-08-13, 01:56 PM
The big guy's movements were completely telegraphed, and Mercury was expecting this regardless. Mercury swiftly stepped behind him and gave him a gentle shove; at the speeds he was moving, more force than that would've snapped his arm like a twig. It had enough force behind it to throw the bull-man off balance, which made it child's play for Ironclad to catch and absorb his blow.

Still, predictable as the violence was, it still really teed Mercury off. He blurred into motion, whipping around the two Mythos members, still slow enough to be heard, but distractingly difficult to pin down.

real tools
"You're

Mess with Horton,

here.

being

you mess with me."

Using my Speed (18) to Feint with Agile Feint. Fluff-wise, I'm doing it to both of them, but since the bull-man's already Vulnerable, mechanically I'm only targeting the toga lady. Also, using Set-Up to allow Horton to take advantage of it.

Feint: [roll0] vs. Acrobatics or Insight check.

SuperCracker
2014-08-13, 04:18 PM
Jake

The Sniper’s shot was perfect. Flawless. Despite the impediments between himself and Jake, that deadly bullet curved with the wind on an unerring path to Jake’s heart. If one could slow down time, one could witness the bullet press against the cloth of Jake’s coat, pushing it towards his body. And then… it stops, flattening against a body that would not be hurt.

In short, it did nothing.

Jake grins at the Sniper, who is still off his game, on the ground. Time to level the playing field. With a flare of his boots, Jake soars up, then swoops down towards the sniper, his hand outstretched to snatch the gun as he flies by.

If it works…

“Hey. Cool gun.” He says as he continues flying by, out into the open air away from any ground the Sniper could stand on. Jake then unceremoniously tosses the rifle all the way down to the ground. The gun might not survive the trip. Either way, the Sniper’s not a Sniper anymore. “Whoops! Butterfingers!”

Close disarm attack vs. a prone, vulnerable opponent, move-by action to keep moving. Free action to drop the weapon.

Full all-out + power attack. +5 vs. prone opponent (before counting vulnerable).

Attack
[roll0]

Opposed Damage vs. his strength
[roll1]

EDIT: Let me know if I actually pull it off or not. I'm willing to spend a hero point to try and ensure success.

kpenguin
2014-08-15, 04:42 AM
Ironclad

It happens in just a second, but the man throws his fist at Horton just awkwardly enough, thanks to Jeff, that Horton is able to reach out his hand and catch it. Even the force of just that is enough to be felt. The manbull could punch with the strength of an artillery shell. Horton knew because they'd tried that on him as a way of execution before.

Didn't work before either.

Then, bands of blue sweep around the manbull. The angry half bovine half human seems to freeze up as Horton turns around, catching a similar glow on the man he had just stepped in front of. He knew? What did he know? What else was going on here?

Ironclad shakes his head. No time for that now. He instead turns to face to the toga'd woman being taunted by Mercury.

"I ain't exactly sure what my friend means by calling you tools, but he's probably right. He generally is. This is your last chance to stand down, miss. My mama taught me not to lay my hands on a lady, but I ain't bout to let this go any further than it already has"

Horton tenses, ready to spring into action. He knows that his words are likely falling on deaf ears. There was something bigger at play here, bigger than Horton's head could wrap around at the moment. But that didn't matter right now. What mattered was keeping this superhuman fight contained.

Readying an action to Grab if the Tremendous Toga Woman takes hostile action.

Pre-rolling. Power Attacking for 4. Hopefully, Mercury's feint goes off swell.

[roll0] - DC 25 Strength or Dodge
EDIT: Make that 30

LordHavelock
2014-11-11, 06:03 PM
With the sniper disarmed, the minotaur increasingly restrained and encircling both he and the toga wearing spokeswoman, the assembled meta-supremacists seem to be on the verge of complete submission, when an inhuman snarl, more like a savage hiss erupts from the chitinous villain presently subdued by Mr. Valiant, as a separate pair of scything limbs folds over from it's back, even as the Mythos member twists with inhuman dexterity out of Valiant's grasp. In the ensuing struggle, all four scissored appendages lash out at the embodied apparition, eviscerating the hero in a shower of ectoplasm. The furious display is enough of a distraction for the leonine sniper to step forward and past Jake and with a little salute, fall past the once and future king through the air, landing graciously on his feet (of course) with only a single, languid mid air tumble. Sprinting forward, he meets up with the other member of Mythos in converging on Ironclad, Elijah, Mercury and their fellow metahumans and at an unspoken signal, all leap into the air simultaneously. While the lady, crab, and lion all display the kind of high jumping prowess to shame an olympic athlete, the bull rises only a few feet into the air, just enough to smash the ground with both heels and with a thunderclap, renders the plaza into the epicenter of it's own 9.0 earthquake.

Cracks in the concrete ripple outward and scatter civilians and heroes alike, and where the seams in the concrete form their is a simultaneous eruption of fiery force, enough to make the air ripple with heat and rob breath from the lungs of those assembled. Already in the air, the members of Mythos are spared the worst of the tectonic force and the toga clad woman twists in midair using her elongating stalk of wheat to give each of the other members a line to hold on to and carrying all four high, high into the air.

Green Bean
2014-11-11, 06:24 PM
In the microseconds after the Mythos took off, Mercury almost decided to pursue them. They were moving fast, but the fact that they could still be followed with the naked eye meant they weren't as fast as him. But their little exit stunt put a lot of people in danger, and instead Mercury sacrificed his pursuit to deflect shrapnel away from party-goers, and made sure no one fell in any faults.

SuperCracker
2014-11-11, 07:23 PM
Jake Wallace
It’s good to be back..

Jake, being high up in one of the buildings, was nearly thrown off of his feet due to the force of the quake. But there was one thing preventing him from lying on his face – flight. So Jake hovered off the ground a few inches and went for Excalibur, picking it up with a flare of golden light. There were a lot of people in danger down below. The good news was that there were a lot of capable heroes down below. So with a flare of his sneakers, Jake was rocketing towards Toga-lady on an intercept course.

Take her down, the others have a not-so-graceful fall to the earth below.

Posts will be better after this one. Just throwing myself back into the action.

Dorni
2014-11-15, 06:55 PM
Elijah

Satisfied that the meta-supremacists had decided to retreat, Elijah turned to look over at Mr. Valiant. The Spirit was drifting toward him, clutching a hand to the deep slash in his chest as ectoplasm poured from the wound. If he'd been alive, his face would have been bloodless. Elijah frowned as he ran over to the spirit. The spirit was in pain. The damage to the ectoplasmic construct that allowed the spirit to act on the material plane would be uncomfortable, but it shouldn't be painful. Unless...

Elijah stopped maintaining the ectoplasm. Without his magic, the construct vanished leaving behind Mr. Valiant's Spirit and confirming Elijah's worry. Mr. Valiant's wound hadn't vanished. The Mantis' claw had enough metaphysical strength that it had destroyed some of Mr. Valiant's essence. Whatever vile energy was powering Mythos' transformations was spiritual. Elijah felt a chill.

The shaman clapped the injured spirit's shoulder, using the contact to magically knit the wound together. The spirit closed his eyes in relief.

Elijah looked up with concern at the young King in pursuit of the retreating meta-humans. The shaman reached out his Power once again. To anyone watching, a young woman shimmered into view. The ghost wore jeans and a green blouse, gathered at the waste into what wasn't quite a sash. Black hair fell in waves below her shoulders. A raised eyebrow and a smile bespoke a mix of expectation and amusement.

"Fireburst, can you go after Jake?"
"Alright. I'll keep him out of trouble."

Jets of spectral flame burst from the woman's feet, propelling her into the air. As she blasted into the air she twisted back and waved a hand. The few small fires that had broken out in the crater were extinguished in a puff.

Moving next to Mr. Valiant.
using Healing on Mr. Valiant: [roll0]

Fireburst will use Fire Control to extinguish the few fires in the crater, then fly after Jake.