PDA

View Full Version : TWF-Warblade/Critfisher with special crit-houserules

Foren(sick)
2014-07-02, 06:20 PM
Hey adventurers,

I have a question I couldn't figure out myself. In one of my DnD groups we have a special way to deal with crits (I don't totally agree with it but the DM is a good storyteller/writer, so it's acceptable):
1. There are no threats. A natural 20 is an instant crit, no confirmation roll needed.
2. Crit multipliers won't multiply bonuses, just dices. Normal damage: 1d12+9; Critdamage: 3d12+9 (Greataxe)
3. We us a table for crits (Natural 18/19/20 dependend on weapon) and fumbles (Natural 1). We roll a D12/D20 to see what injury occurs. Warblade uses a D20.
http://www.pic-upload.de/view-23761161/Screenshot---03_07.png.html
http://www.pic-upload.de/view-23761161/Screenshot---03_07.png.html

Now to my character: My Barbarian died today (due to a crit) and now i have to create a new character. I thought of a TWF-Warblade/Critfisher, but I don't know if it really works with our crit-system. The alternative would be a 'normal' Warblade with a spiked chain and a Greatsword, but the Greatsword is pretty close to my barb. I can't say with my small experience how the crit-table impacts the gameplay. Maybe you can enlight me.

Feel free to discuss it. Thanks in advance

Sincerely
Foren(sick)

Darrin
2014-07-02, 09:05 PM
I'm a little confused. No confirming threats, so... all weapons crit on a 20. What weapons crit on a 18/19/20? As in, a scimitar autocrits on an 18-20?

Zanos
2014-07-02, 09:14 PM
That crit chart is nasty. Assuming you can still increase your critical threat range, a critfisher would be hilariously broken in this caimpaign.

HunterOfJello
2014-07-02, 10:29 PM
You should play a changeling going into Warshaper as soon as possible so that you can get immunity to criticals. There are also other ways like playing a plant race or a necropolitan.

If you aren't immune to critical hits, then going into melee in this type of game sounds way too dangerous.

Foren(sick)
2014-07-03, 02:30 AM
My rolls btw are 16,15,14,12,12,12 my race will be a snowelf.

@Darrin: Natural 20 is always a critical, natural 18/19 with a weapon with a greater critrange is a critical if the attack roll + bonuses exceeds the targets AC, in short if it would usually hit.

@Zanus: There is no problem with extending my critical range. So your idea is to go twf, improved crit, maybe weapon finesse?

@HunterOfJello: I'll try this out if my character dies, won't take to long I guess. But maybe he changed the crit system when it comes to this point.