PDA

View Full Version : My Magic: The Gathering Deck

iamkoolerthanu
2007-02-26, 08:10 PM
I just made my deck yesterday, and I was wondering if I could get some hints or tips to make it better. Here it is:

Mountains: x12

Swamps: x14

Terramorphic Expanses: x4

Dauthi Slayer(2/2): x1 (B,B )

Kumano, Master Yamabushi(4/4): x1 (3, R, R)

Mogg War Marshal(1/1): x2 (1, R)

Trespasser il-Vec(3/1): x3 (2, B)

Phantasmagorian(6/6): x2 (5, B, B)

Big Game Hunter(1/1): x2 (1, B, B)

Gorgon Recluse(2/4): x2 (3, B, B)

Midlash Sliver(1/1): x4 (B)

Reckless Wurm(4/4): x2 (3, R, R)

Magus of the Arena(5/5): x1 (4, R, R)

Lavacore Elemental(5/3): x1 (2, R)

Lightning Axe: x2 (R)

Disintegrate: x1 (X, R)

Fiery Temper: x1 (1, R, R)

Treacherous Urge: x1 (4, B)

Dark Withering: x1 (4, B, B)

Dead/Gone: x1 (R/2, R)

Brute Force: x2 (R)

Gralamin
2007-02-26, 10:49 PM
Red/Black huh? have you picked up the guild for them yet?

iamkoolerthanu
2007-02-27, 03:37 PM
What do you mean? I am new at the game, so even if that is something that I should know, I don't. I play in some tournaments though.

Tekar
2007-02-27, 06:36 PM
Conventions for casting cost go this way:
1, 2, ... = colorless
R = Red
W = White
B = Black
U = blUe
G = Green
X = well, X

So Fiery Temper would be (1RR)
It's just easier if everybody does it the same way so please try to learn this way.

About your deck: it's clear that you are new and don't have many cards yet, there isn't much synergy in the deck and it looks mostly like just some red and black cards together. Which is not bad for starting but there isn't much we can say about it.

And the guild references to the past ravinca block where every combination of two colors was a guild (R/B was Rakdos)

Krytha
2007-02-27, 07:43 PM
Before I even looked at the rest of your deck, I saw that you had 6 terramorphic expanses. If you play by some crazy set of rules which amounts to a game that isn't magic but uses magic cards because theyre pretty (and they are) then that's fine. But you can only have 4 of a card, barring basic lands.

TheThan
2007-02-27, 09:01 PM
Yeah, standard magic notation would be appreciated. Before I give any advice on improving this deck I need to know if this is a budget deck or not.
Budget decks are decks built around a certain amount of money available to you (say 30 bucks), or points if your playing magic online.
For example I have a (quite powerful) magic deck that cost me less than 20 bucks. But I’ve also got one I dumped tones of cash into (its also quite powerful).
If money isn’t an option that’s good to know two so I can tell you go rush out and buy really expensive cards.

Dariendel
2007-02-28, 11:11 AM
I quit buying Magic after the next few expansions after Weatherlight. I recreated a deck a few years after so just I could play with some friends (No banneds, restricteds allowed) and I came up with this red/black small creature deck that was awesome.

My opponent would either be:
a)Killed by dozens of 1/1 creatures
b)Killed by 5 or less creatures with dozens of +1/+1 counters on it
c)Killed by a 1/1 creature that has Hundreds of +1/+1 counters on it
d)Killed by a direct damage spell that equals the power of all the creatures i had in play.

Sadly, M:tG has evolved way beyond my liking. Back to V:tES for me.

iamkoolerthanu
2007-02-28, 11:32 AM
If money isn’t an option that’s good to know two so I can tell you go rush out and buy really expensive cards.

Money really isn't an issue, I have that.

But you can only have 4 of a card, barring basic lands.

Really? I had no idea... I'm going to have to go and fix up my deck then. Thanks for that info.

Conventions for casting cost go this way:
1, 2, ... = colorless
R = Red
W = White
B = Black
U = blUe
G = Green
X = well, X

Thanks for that as well. I should go and edit my first post now then....

Red/Black huh? have you picked up the guild for them yet?

Back to your original question, no. I am a begginer, so untill I really get my deck going, and I make sure that red/black is the colors I am using in my main deck, then I will not be making/joining any guilds yet.

Were-Sandwich
2007-02-28, 01:16 PM
No, he means the Guild cards from the Ravnica block. The Ravnica block was all about these Guilds, each of which was a two colour combo. They each had a deck and a large collection of 2 colour cards. Not something you actually join.

iamkoolerthanu
2007-02-28, 02:10 PM
No, he means the Guild cards from the Ravnica block. The Ravnica block was all about these Guilds, each of which was a two colour combo. They each had a deck and a large collection of 2 colour cards. Not something you actually join.

Oh, I understand now. Yes, I got Endless March and Unraveling Mind. Then I combined them, taking out some of the red cards and all of the white ones. My white cards are going to be part of a different deck.

Question:

How hard would it be to make a deck completley made of Slithers and Shadow cards, all black? How long would it take, if, lets say, I buy a booster pack every other week.

bingo_bob
2007-03-02, 05:18 PM
Frankly, eternity. At the moment, there's not enough black sliver cards out there to make an effective mono-black sliver deck. When you've got slivers, the more colors you're running, the better, and 4 Gemhide Slivers (Mana of any color) is a must, and they're green.

Now, I really don't have much experience building up a good card stock, ('inherited' a load of cards from a friend who got tired of it) but I generally find it easier to build around what I've got, rather than try and get cards that support an idea.

Anyways, back to your question. Now, even if you do decide to run multiple colors, you need to remember your non-sliver creatures don't benefit, unless you've got a Hivestone, which is another must.

So, for a sliver/shadow deck (Blue/Black, for optimal performance) you're going to want:

At least 2 Hivestones
4 Shadow Slivers
If you can get it, at least 2 Winged Slivers
Also if you can get it, 4 Dauthi Marauders
4 Spitting Slivers
and 4 Screeching Slivers

however, as a sliver deck, you could still do much, much better, particularly with... what is it... Fury Sliver? For double strike.

Tekar
2007-03-02, 06:06 PM
however, as a sliver deck, you could still do much, much better, particularly with... what is it... Fury Sliver? For double strike.
Crystalline Sliver perhaps? That card was way overpowerd.

bingo_bob
2007-03-02, 06:30 PM
Nah, I'm pretty sure it was Fury Sliver, from Time Spiral. And yes, it was overpowered.

Man, slivers rock. At least, once they get going...