PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Was I just bull rushed by a gnome?

Deox
2014-07-03, 01:14 AM
In an upcoming game, for flavor reasons, I've landed on the idea of a gnome fighter 6 (probably going crusader 14 after, unsure however) utilizing the dungeoncrasher variant. While suboptimal (being small), what are some ways to make it actually work?

In addition, I know warforged juggernaut may be an option, but I have not seen anything of making them small sized. Fluff wise, I could like the idea of a warforged thinking that he's really a gnome trapped in an animated suit of spiked armor, being forced to smash things with a shield against walls against his will.

I've the option of a 28 point buy, or rolling for stats. Like Mr. Powers, I also like to live dangerously. Outcome: 18, 17, 14, 14, 13, 12.
So far (assuming Fighter 6):
Whisper Gnome
Str: 18, Dex: 14, Con: 17, Int: 14, Wis: 13, Cha: 12. Ability point probably to Con.
Fighter 1 - Power Attack [BF], ??? [Character Feat]
Fighter 2 - Dungeon Crasher ACF
Fighter 3 - Improved Bull Rush
Fighter 4 - ???[BF]
Fighter 5 - :frown:
Fighter 6 - Dungeon Crasher ACF, Shock Trooper

I'd even think about the Blood Spiked Charger, using the two available feats to pick up the required WF: Spiked Armor and WF: Spiked Shield.

I'll probably be able to swing the Halfweight enhancement on a suit of full plate eventually, probably beginning with a mithril breastplate.

Any ideas on how to improve upon this silly idea?

torrasque666
2014-07-03, 01:17 AM
For a small Juggernaut you could use a Warforged Scout. I believe it would still qualify for Warforged feats as its more like a subrace, like all those damned elves, than a separate species. Plus, its listed as a subheading under "Warforged" in the MM3.

Deox
2014-07-03, 01:27 AM
If Warforged is allowed, I'd definitely look at the Warforged Scout. That would also make my 1st level feat Adamantine Body, and allow me to put the 12 in Dex and 14 in Wisdom which could be helpful.

Good idea, thanks.

Any additional thoughts?

StreamOfTheSky
2014-07-03, 01:55 AM
Get Brutal Surge on your weapon and have a high Con? It's in MIC, a +1 enhancement that lets you as a swift action after hitting 1 + Con mod times per day, make a bull rush attempt on the target w/o you moving with them. So, you're home run batting them away. It's basically a more limited use version of the Knockback feat, which you sadly cannot get without being size Large or better.

EDIT: Also, having an allied caster to put up the Blockade spell for you, or a wand (in a wand chamber, from dungeonscape) of it for you to use would be super helpful. Blockade is a 1st level spell in C.Scoundrel and only a swift action to cast (so if you use Rules Compendium, the wand is also a swift to activate). It creates a 5 ft cube of wood where you designate. Instant wall to bull rush things into!

Diovid
2014-07-03, 02:08 AM
First note that there are a few free upgrades for fighters, specifically: Zhentarim substitution levels (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a), Dead Levels (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20061013a) and the ability to trade Ride for Tumble (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a).

If you're going with warforged scout this would do nicely (you're still small, just large when raging):

Fighter 6 / Stoneblessed (Goliath) 3 / Barbarian 1 / Warforged Juggernaut 5 / x 5 with the Goliath Barbarian substitution level (Races of Stone), the Barbarian's Spiritual Lion Totem acf (Complete Champion) and the Extra Rage feat (Complete Warrior).

If you always want to be small and thus don't want to use the Goliath substitution levels, this would also be decent:

Barbarian 1 / Fighter 6 / Warforged Juggernaut 5 / x 8 with just the Spiritual Lion Totem acf and the Extra Rage feat.

Deox
2014-07-03, 06:27 AM
Get Brutal Surge on your weapon and have a high Con? It's in MIC, a +1 enhancement that lets you as a swift action after hitting 1 + Con mod times per day, make a bull rush attempt on the target w/o you moving with them. So, you're home run batting them away. It's basically a more limited use version of the Knockback feat, which you sadly cannot get without being size Large or better.

Question with interaction. Should I enchant a shield spike with this enhancement, how would that interact on a bullrush with dungeon crasher?

EDIT: Blockade... Instant wall to bull rush things into!

Absolutely, Blockade and caltrops were some of the first things to come to mind.

First note that there are a few free upgrades for fighters, specifically: Zhentarim substitution levels (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a), Dead Levels (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20061013a) and the ability to trade Ride for Tumble (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a). Didn't know about the "dead levels", might pick that up as well as tumble. Thanks.

If you always want to be small and thus don't want to use the Goliath substitution levels, this would also be decent:

Barbarian 1 / Fighter 6 / Warforged Juggernaut 5 / x 8 with just the Spiritual Lion Totem acf and the Extra Rage feat.

Starting at 6th and not sure how far we're going to go. As much as I'd like to snag a level of barbarian now, I'd much rather enjoy the full dungeon crasher ACF now and progress into barbarian after.

I appreciate the ideas! Any additional suggestions to remain small and still be "in charge"?

Wacky89
2014-07-03, 06:58 AM
maybe you should look into feats requiring being small or smaller size.

Underfoot Combat
Confound The Big Folk
Giantbane

Deox
2014-07-03, 07:12 AM
I looked at Underfoot and Confound and although good, they don't particularly mesh well with the concept. Giantbane's Duck Underneath and Death From Below fit the bill and the Climb Aboard function is just hilarious and will make good use of the climb skill.

Keep 'em coming :smallsmile:

Deox
2014-07-03, 08:04 AM
1st level feat I'm leaning towards Shape Soulmeld for the Mauling Gauntlets, then maybe instead of Shock Trooper at 6th, pick up Bonus Essentia.

That should help a bit on the checks. Thoughts?