PDA

View Full Version : Legacy of the Waves IC

GenericMook
2014-07-03, 05:02 AM
Wavecrest has always been the center of trade in the West. But this particular year, it has fallen on rough times. The new presence of the Solar Exalted, as well as the Silver Prince's machinations, have thrown much of the West into disarray. To add to the mess are the pirates, who see an opportunity to capitalize upon the state of the world. And even worse are the supposed rumors further West, of isolated storms causing ships to sink.

Today, you find yourself in the coastal town of Pearlstone, a former pearl-diving community that boomed into a larger town upon discovery of the black jade deposits further in the island. Today, the town is quiet. They have received news that Shining Twilight Admiral, a Solar who has abused his power to amass a fleet of pirates under his banner, is headed towards their location. There are notices throughout the streets that advertise a defense meeting in a local inn by the name of The Golden Clam.

JonRG
2014-07-03, 12:30 PM
Serren strokes his chin contemplatively as he reads one of the notices. This looked promising. He had only expected to offload some goods, maybe buy some pearls and black jade, but this... Weapons, medical supplies... There was no economy like a war economy. Serren turns to his retinue. "Well, ladies and gents," he asks, waving the flier about, "I know where I'm going to be tonight. Care to join me?"

Kell_tamer
2014-07-03, 01:54 PM
"Heading in the opposite direction of the Solar I trust." The young dragon blood was not necessarily afraid of facing the solar. She was just not keen on the whole getting killed by one of the Solar Anathema for some frivolous reason. She deals enough with mortals who think she doesn't look right.

A moment of self conscious reflection cause her to instinctively run a finger along one of the horns atop her head.

OracleofSilence
2014-07-03, 02:41 PM
"We should stay. Wavecrest hasn't had the best record with normal pirates. I don't want to know what this would do to them. Money to be made too." It's clear that Dian added the last part as an after thought, but Serren didn't listen to many other arguments.

JonRG
2014-07-03, 02:47 PM
Serren beams at Dian. "Precisely! And don't worry, Bree. I've no intention of getting thrust into a war, but the opportunity! The Guild would kill me if I didn't take advantage of it." The way he nervously twirls his signet ring makes you think that his last statement may not be purely hyperbole.

OracleofSilence
2014-07-03, 02:54 PM
"I've seen them do worse for less. Did anyone know where these pirates are from? Are they independent?"

Recaiden
2014-07-03, 05:02 PM
"At The Golden Clam, protecting the island and making a tidy profit along the way? Where else?" Reikiri tips his hat up and smiles at Serren, eyes sparkling. He has nothing against pirates in general, why, he's fought alongside a pirate crew once before. But when they branch onto land to become bandits and raiders and ocean warlords, that's taking it too far.

"From what I heard they come from all over, with just the one leader. Holding things together, like."

josienoms
2014-07-03, 11:18 PM
Lily frowns as everyone talks about what's going on. She feels very left out. She coughs slightly, to get someone's attention.

"Could someone please tell me what those papers say? In case you all forgot, I can't read. What's this about a Solar?"

JonRG
2014-07-03, 11:51 PM
Serren furrows his brow. Typically such things did not escape his notice. "Sorry, dearest. It says that the Solar pirate, Shining Twilight Admiral - stupid name, really, but it doesn't say that on the sheet. Anyway. He's coming here with a bunch of other pirates. There's a meeting arranged for tonight at The Golden Clam."

josienoms
2014-07-03, 11:54 PM
"Oh! Thank you very much, Serren." A soft smile crosses her lips, and she inclines her head to him.

"If that's the case, then we should help the people defend their home."

Kell_tamer
2014-07-04, 12:33 AM
Breeze looks at Serren. "May I as your bodyguard remind you that Solars are dangerous?" She sighs. "I mean if you wanna do it fine... just letting you know its a crazy insane idea"

JonRG
2014-07-05, 07:08 PM
Serren ruffles Bree's hair, mindful of her horns. "Don't worry, love. I've seen far worse. Plus, I know when to cut and run. You should know that."

GenericMook
2014-07-06, 11:55 PM
The notice detailing the meeting also included a cash reward, redeemable in either black jade or pearls, or any combination thereof if the defense proved successful.

Later That Evening

The Golden Clam was a fairly classy place, as far as small town inns went. The floors were clean, the tables polished to a shine, and the few patrons in the inn at the time weren't making a ruckus.

The interior of the inn didn't quite fit with a Western trading community. There were hunting trophies, things like mounted bear heads and even a large skeletal claw, hanging on the wall, and a large, black jade sword was mounted behind the bar, just above where the innkeeper stood.

As for the innkeeper, he was an older man, with white lines dotting his dark brown hair. He had an eyepatch over one eye, corresponding with a single long scar across his face. Even though he wore a dark green shirt and an innkeeper's apron, the innkeeper remained intimidating, but the rest of the patrons were minding their own business.

Kell_tamer
2014-07-07, 05:45 PM
Breeze leaned back in her chair staring up at the ceiling. She let her hair hang off the back as she shifted her head back and forth, her eyes trying to spot her horns in her peripheral.

Even dragon blooded could be bored.

As her arms dangled off the side she pondered if they would dislike her lobbing gusts of wind at the hanging lights to see how many candles she could put out in a single go.

She ultimately decided against it.

OracleofSilence
2014-07-07, 06:34 PM
"This is not what I expected." Dian unabashedly stares around the room exasperation clear on his face "I mean, this town is threatened with imanent destruction. Well, at least immanent extended and extremely unpleasant robbery. You'd think people would be more concerned!"

GenericMook
2014-07-08, 12:06 AM
One of the patrons stands up from his chair, and reaches to the sheathed blade at his side, but stops when the innkeeper makes a simple gesture.

"Enough. My patrons are waiting for a reason. We of Pearlstone do not rush headlong into our deaths, foreigner. This is not the first time that invaders have coveted our resources, and it will not be the last. The captain of our town's militia is bringing in weapons as we speak. So wait, foreigner, for some time. We all wish to defend our homes, and do not presume that our patience is inaction," said the innkeeper, slamming his fist down on the counter.

The door leading to the back bursts open a few seconds later, and several men walk through, chatting quietly among themselves, giving the group a quick glance.

The last person out of the door is dressed similarly, but with a red sash tied to his waist. This man sees the group assembled there, and walks over to the innkeeper, and begins speaking to him in hushed tones, until the innkeeper silences him with a final gesture.

"Introduce yourselves, foreigners. We would like to know who is deciding to help us out today."

Everyone roll Perception + Socialize.

Recaiden
2014-07-09, 10:34 PM
The adventurer guard stands up, and gives a slight bow to the innkeeper, one hand holding his hat on in the precisely correct way. He straightens and gives the room a perfect smile.
"Reikiri. Originally here from the north for trade, but I'm not letting any solar lordling raid the place if there's anything I can do against it."

Obscurejones
2014-07-10, 05:15 AM
The old man grumbles and takes another small sip of the swill the innkeeper has the nerve to call beer. There ought to be a law punishing this sort of fraud with death.
"Petros Thistlewalk. My employer wants to stay and help. And all my equipment is on his boat."
Continuing his grumbling Petros begins digging through his pockets, mixing powders and small vials of liquid in his tankard. A stale smell somewhere between curdled milk and the coppery tang of blood begins to roil off the foam at the top of the glass.

GenericMook
2014-07-10, 06:56 AM
While you can't exactly guess what the other man is saying, you can tell that it's relatively hostile, but the innkeeper seems to think otherwise.

You can tell that, while the red-sash man may be reluctant in accepting your aid, he does respect whatever the innkeeper is telling him.

What's more, you can also tell that the crowd is showing a similar level of respect for the innkeeper, largely by not making a mess of the inn.

You can tell that the level of respect they have for him is the sort of respect that chieftains and heroes receive, but the rationale remains unclear.

The red-sash man folds his arms and quietly looks at the group as the innkeeper nods. His eyes linger over Reikiri for a second, and then they move to Petros. The innkeeper's eyes narrow at what Petros does, and laughs a deep booming laugh that echoes through the room.

"A Northerner and an alchemist. Northerner, if you're from either the League, Whitewall, or one of the tribes, we welcome your help. And alchemist, if this was another time, I might be somewhat offended by what you just did, but today is not a day for petty differences. What exactly do you specialize in?"

Obscurejones
2014-07-10, 02:25 PM
"The human body. I can get it drunk, dizzy, or dumb. More importantly I strive to keep it alive. That being said, a personal favorite is weaponized itching powder. Burns like the fires of Malfeas."
Petros takes a tentative sip of his foaming beer and then happily quaffs the beverage.

Kell_tamer
2014-07-10, 08:38 PM
Breeze unenthusiastically throws up her hand. "Vermillion Breeze, former freakshow to the West Wind Circus. Now Air Dragon Blood and bodyguard to Serren"

OracleofSilence
2014-07-11, 10:39 AM
"Dian Stelios. A westerner by birth. I used to live around here, but I've been traveling recently." Dian shifts uncomfortably as he responds, and quickly returns his attention to his own table And I used to be a pirate. Probably shouldn't mention that.

JonRG
2014-07-11, 10:55 AM
Serren watches Dian and takes note of his discomfort. Not surprising given his past. Luckily, he had a foolproof method to get the attention off of him. Serren loved this part, he had to admit. "I am Serren Vrahn of Chiaroscuro, Merchant of the Guild. All your people need, I can provide... for a price." He smiles wide.

GenericMook
2014-07-11, 08:23 PM
The innkeeper nods as Breeze and Dian introduce themselves. Surprisingly enough, Breeze's mention of her Exaltation doesn't quite surprise the innkeeper, but it does send murmurs through the crowd gathered at the inn. The innkeeper does react to Serren's introduction, though, as a wide smile spreads across his face.

"Well, why didn't you say so first? What sort of wares do you have on your ship? Any firedust or Chiaroscuran glass? We can trade in pearls and black jade, which should be able to fetch a nice price elsewhere.

JonRG
2014-07-11, 09:23 PM
"I'd be a poor Southerner if I didn't, and your terms are certainly agreeable." Serren ignores the innkeeper's first question. He didn't seem like the type of man to take 'because it was dramatic' well.

josienoms
2014-07-11, 11:59 PM
Lily had remained silent for a while, but she decided that she should indeed introduce herself.

"My name is Lily Blossom, of the northwestern nomads. I am a Wood Dragon, and I serve Mr. Vrahn as a tracker and shaman."

GenericMook
2014-07-13, 06:07 PM
The innkeeper's eyebrow raises once more at Lily's mention of her Exaltation.

"You have an interesting crew, Guildsman," said the innkeeper. "One Terrestrial, and I would not be suspicious. But two? This is interesting. We might actually stand a chance, but I still wish to look through your wares. Zarin, you may begin, I guess."

The man with the red sash nods and faces the crowd. "For those of you who don't know, I am Zarin, the militia chief. Today, we are here to plan the defense against the attack of the accursed scoundrel who calls himself the 'Shining Twilight Admiral'. He has united some of the pirate crews into a small fleet, and intends to take Pearlstone as one of his first conquests. According to Master Kellar, he plans to use the pearls to fund his army and use the black jade to make weapons for his fleet. We need to stop him here, or he will turn the island into his own launching ground for conquest throughout the West. Our plan, prior to the arrival of the foreigners, was to barricade up and hope for the best. That has changed. The Town Council has allowed us access to the emergency cache of Black Jade weapons, and the Guildsman apparently has some useful goods. Our estimates place the ship's arrival at three days. Until they land, we will plan, defend, and train. Any questions?"

Relating to the name Kellar: Wits+Lore roll, guys. Difficulty 2 this time.You recognize the name, due to its rarity, as belonging to Kellar the Wayfarer. Kellar is the author of The Traveler's Almanac to the Modern World, a fairly comprehensive guide to the major locations of each Direction as well as various natural wonders.

What Kellar is doing in a small town like Pearlstone is a complete mystery.

Kell_tamer
2014-07-18, 09:45 AM
The young terrestrial raises her hand. "Any of that black jade spear shaped?"

Recaiden
2014-07-21, 07:53 AM
The Wayfarer is here? How curious.

Reikiri lazily waves a hand for questioning. "Will you be leading us when his fleet actually arrives? And are there any groups within a day or two that might join in the defense? Those who mightn't answer a flyer, but would come if asked."

He has a thousand questions: is the harbor narrow enough to mine, how many ships does pearlstone have and of what sort, do they have any seige engines that could fire back from shore at the ships, or those with the knowledge to build them, how does the city get on with the local gods, just how amny ships are in Twilight's fleet, what is the predicted weather three days from now, the list goes on. But those can wait for the planning later tonight.

OracleofSilence
2014-07-21, 09:43 AM
"If it's alright with the rest of you, I'll help with the militia. I'm sure I can help one way or the other. How many essence wielders are going to help with the defense? Do you have an organized fire crew?" Dian watches the Wayfarer with some interest. A widely traveled man to be sure. Not a trustworthy one though. No-one went that far afield and returned with no secretes to show for it.

GenericMook
2014-07-27, 07:14 PM
The militia captain nods. "We have several spears, but they are just wooden poles tipped with black jade. These are not the artifacts that you see the Immaculates using. As for other aid, we have enlisted the aid of two local gods, one of the seas near here and a shark god. Our arrangement is that they stall the main fleet while we deal with their advance party. As for Essence users, there is one on the island, but he will not be fighting."

Kell_tamer
2014-07-30, 03:38 PM
Breeze nods. "Well let me know what you need me to do. I'm quick on my feet and am skilled with a spear."

JonRG
2014-07-31, 10:53 AM
Serren drums his fingers against a table. He was almost a god to these people. Might as well take advantage of that status. "Why won't your Essence user fight?"