PDA

View Full Version : Druidic Alternatives

Jaguira
2007-02-26, 09:01 PM
Hokai. So I've finally found a DnD group, but the thing is they've already got a Druid. And I LOVE playing as a Druid, and quite frankly Rangers annoy me (I've never understood why you have to wait until 3rd level to get an animal companion with them... That's my favorite part of the Druid class!)
So, this begs the question: Are there any classes beyond Ranger that would be a good Druid alternative? We're starting out at about 3rd/4th level, and so far we have a Rogue, a Knight, a Druid, a Favored Soul, the equivalent of some sort of battle mage whose name I also can't remember, and a good old-fashioned Fighter.

The_Snark
2007-02-26, 09:04 PM
Depends on why you like druids, really. If you like shapeshifting, there's a variant ranger who can shapeshift. If you like the animal companion, you can take the Beastmaster class later on for fun with multiple animal companions, and make do with Ranger for now. If it's the spells you like, you could play a nature-oriented cleric or something like that.

If you like the combination of all of the above, you're probably out of luck.

Thomix
2007-02-26, 09:05 PM
Maybe a cleric of Ehlonna, Cleric of Obadhai, a Shaman (from Oriental Advanture), a Spirit shaman ( from complet divine)

...a Cleric off-shoot that gets wings at level 17 (I think he's called a "Chosen Soul" or something like that and he speciallizes in healing)...

A Favored Soul

oriong
2007-02-26, 09:07 PM
There's the Spirit Shaman, but you've got what looks like two divine casters already so you might start to get overloaded in that regards.

As for druid-like classes a Ranger with the Beastmaster prestige class is just as adept with animal companions as a druid, in fact he'll eventually get more, or just go into it from another class (barbarian would probably work well) and with just a feat you've got a druid level animal companion (with more on the way as you take more levels of beastmaster)

it really depends on what about druid you want to copy, they typically have 3 main focuses: shapeshifting, spellcasting, and companions.

TheOOB
2007-02-26, 09:24 PM
A Wu Jen is a fairly versitile arcane caster that has a bit of a nature thing going on, though the class is known for being pretty weak for a caster, largely due to its small spell list.

Rabiesbunny
2007-02-26, 09:28 PM
...be patient and multiclass! Talontar Blightlord! Talontar Blightlord!

Aximili
2007-02-26, 09:55 PM
Hokai. So I've finally found a DnD group, but the thing is they've already got a Druid. And I LOVE playing as a Druid, and quite frankly Rangers annoy me (I've never understood why you have to wait until 3rd level to get an animal companion with them... That's my favorite part of the Druid class!)
The answer to our problem is pretty simple. Play a druid too.

The party's already filled all the roles. There's no problem at all in repeating a class, specially one as strong as the druid.
In my current group I'm gonna play a melee druid, and there's already a player who chose to go with druid (only his is focused on the animal companion). And our group only has a sorceror, a cleric and the two druids. Yours already has two melee guys, a healer, an arcane, and a skillmonkey. You have the privilege of choosing whatever you want.

EDIT: and if you like the companion, I suggest the Beastlord (Complete adventurer if I'm not wrong).

oriong
2007-02-26, 10:08 PM
Well they are missing an arcane spellcaster but they could pretty much only emulate the 'shapechanger' aspect of the druid.

cupkeyk
2007-02-26, 10:16 PM
If you want a really strong animal companion a Paladin of Slaughter or Tyranny 5/ Beastlord1 with Devoted Tracker. There is a feat that gives your animal companion rabies and +2 STR and CON, but you have to be evil. I will post the name of the feat as soon as I am sober.

Leon
2007-02-26, 11:14 PM
Take some Druid & some Arcane Spellcaster then take Arcane Heirophant for some Uber Animal Compainionship

Darrin
2007-02-26, 11:20 PM
So, this begs the question: Are there any classes beyond Ranger that would be a good Druid alternative? We're starting out at about 3rd/4th level, and so far we have a Rogue, a Knight, a Druid, a Favored Soul, the equivalent of some sort of battle mage whose name I also can't remember, and a good old-fashioned Fighter.

Looks like the party is short on arcane casters. No bard yet, either... and you could easily do a bard/druid:

Bard 2/Druid 3/Green Whisperer 2/Arcane Heirophant 3/Sublime Chord 1/AH 7/GW 2

That gives you full 9th level arcane and druid spells, Wild Shape 4/day + plant, and... uh, bardic music?

Collin152
2007-02-26, 11:21 PM
Just play a spellthief and rob the Druid of all it's spells. Thatt'll learn em' to steal your rightful class!

Aximili
2007-02-26, 11:30 PM
Looks like the party is short on arcane casters.
Well, they've got a Warmage (or some other battle-mage, he wasn't clear). But if they still need another arcane for utilities, I'd support Leon's suggestion:

Take some Druid & some Arcane Spellcaster then take Arcane Heirophant for some Uber Animal Compainionship
Combine that with that feat which increase your effective druid level by 4 regarding the animal companion, and you've got animal companion at full level + extras from familiar, while still fullfilling the role that the party needs.

oriong
2007-02-26, 11:32 PM
Well, they've got a Warmage (or some other battle-mage, he wasn't clear). But if they still need another arcane for utilities, I'd support Leon's suggestion:

He was talking about the Favored Soul, and I think he's referring to the Sorcerer (as in, the favored soul is the cleric equivalent of the sorcerer)

Aximili
2007-02-27, 12:04 AM
we have a Rogue, a Knight, a Druid, a Favored Soul, the equivalent of some sort of battle mage whose name I also can't remember, and a good old-fashioned Fighter.
Well, it sounds to me like they've got a favored soul and the equivalent of some sort of battle mage.

Maybe I just got it wrong...

But anyway, in his place, I'd still go with druid (possibly arcane hierophant). Fun always comes first, and if the arcane is really that important, the DM can always put in an NPC or throw a few scrolls/wands.

TheOOB
2007-02-27, 01:05 AM
Hmmm, my homebrew juices are bubbling, I might have to make a nature based arcane PrC, possibly some sort of elven thing.

Fizban
2007-02-27, 01:22 AM
For animal companion, see this feat (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a).

Everything else I can think of has been covered.

Dhavaer
2007-02-27, 01:52 AM
You could make a Variant Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bard).