PDA

View Full Version : enlarge person on martial character

Raezeman
2014-07-03, 08:43 AM
so i'm playing a high sword low axe character (barbarian 2, fighter 4, dervish 1), which is obviously based on tripping, which would be greatly helped by enlarge person. However, my options for getting enlarge person at the moment are only potions (no caster in the group that has it). I don't like spending money on these expendables, so i would like to know if there is a better, more permanent way of having enlarge persons available.
I know there is a belt in the magic item compendium that gives one enlarge person per day, but i rather have the belt slot open for the +strength items.
The only option i have so far is take one level of wizard, but the low HD and lack of a bab bonus make me wish for something better.

Is there a better way out there for this? maybe a tome of battle shenanigan or something?
NOTE: due to my low mental ability scores, only something INT based of maximum 13 int as a requirement is possible…

Also, people that have played high sword low axe characters before are welcome to give more advice on items or good spells-in-potions and such and such.

Psyren
2014-07-03, 08:52 AM
I know there is a belt in the magic item compendium that gives one enlarge person per day, but i rather have the belt slot open for the +strength items.

MIC 234 also has rules for putting the regular stat bonuses onto more specialized items. So you can have your Str belt and still use it to grow.

Another option if you have at least 11 Cha is the Hidden Talent feat (XPH 67) which will give you a first-level psionic power and 2 PP to spend on it - use this to pick up Expansion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/expansion.htm).

Iwasforger03
2014-07-03, 08:54 AM
Fine a caster, have him cast Enlarge person and permanency on you? Then you are forever large sized. All the rules for it are in core. PAthfinder: Core Rulebook pg 318. D&D 3.5 Player's Handbook: pg 259.

Raezeman
2014-07-03, 09:11 AM
MIC 234 also has rules for putting the regular stat bonuses onto more specialized items. So you can have your Str belt and still use it to grow.Expansion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/expansion.htm).

AH! this seems very interesting. Yes yes, i will talk about this with the DM.

Another option if you have at least 11 Cha is the Hidden Talent feat (XPH 67) which will give you a first-level psionic power and 2 PP to spend on it - use this to pick up Expansion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/expansion.htm).

sadly, the 11 Cha is a problem. I mean, the character is a melee type (needs strength) using two weapon fighting (needs 15 dex) with combat expertise in the build (needs 13 INT) with preferable plenty of hit points (needs CON). So Cha and Wis didn't get much attention during creation…

Fine a caster, have him cast Enlarge person and permanency on you? Then you are forever large sized. All the rules for it are in core. PAthfinder: Core Rulebook pg 318. D&D 3.5 Player's Handbook: pg 259.

Thou this thought did cross my mind and from a combat point of view it is good, but 1 dispel magic on me and it is gone again forever (i think). Also, from a more roleplaying point of view always being enlarged is not really convenient...

Darrin
2014-07-03, 09:18 AM
What's your Wisdom? The expansion power might work better here, either via the Hidden Talent feat or a dip into Psychic Warrior.

Tattooed Monk can get an alter self tattoo. If you prefer a magic item, Fleshshifter Armor (13160 GP, BoVD) has at-will alter self, and Phylactery of Change (11200 GP, A&EG) has all-day polymorph up to 7 HD.

Also, people that have played high sword low axe characters before are welcome to give more advice on items or good spells-in-potions and such and such.

TWF OffHandbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?279079) has some advice on magic items.

torrasque666
2014-07-03, 09:19 AM
Additionally, if your DM will allow custom magic items, you can get an item of Augmented Expansion, boosting you by two sizes, can only be suppressed or disjoined, and for when you don't want to be Huge can be removed.

Raezeman
2014-07-03, 09:50 AM
What's your Wisdom? The expansion power might work better here, either via the Hidden Talent feat or a dip into Psychic Warrior.

unfortunately no, wis is not any better than cha… not at all...

Tattooed Monk can get an alter self tattoo. If you prefer a magic item, Fleshshifter Armor (13160 GP, BoVD) has at-will alter self, and Phylactery of Change (11200 GP, A&EG) has all-day polymorph up to 7 HD.

Tattooed monk's feat requirements are a bit steep. The other items would do what i want them to do and then some, so i think as suggested before adding the + str to the enlarging person belt would be a better, cheaper idea.

TWF OffHandbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?279079) has some advice on magic items.
i will look into this, thanks

Additionally, if your DM will allow custom magic items, you can get an item of Augmented Expansion, boosting you by two sizes, can only be suppressed or disjoined, and for when you don't want to be Huge can be removed.

Don't know if he would, but where could i find this stuff?

torrasque666
2014-07-03, 09:53 AM
For the creation aspects, http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/creatingPsionicItems. It would be a universal item, which is essentially a psionic wondrous item.

Ingus
2014-07-03, 10:19 AM
One possible solution is to buy a scroll of Enlarge Person for your wizard to transcribe into his book, to a meager 25 Gp cost.
Or a wand of Enlarge Person to be used by your other arcane spellcaster for 750 Gp

The advantages are that those are simple solutions, that your arcane spellcaster won't be too pissed to have a magic item or spell known for free and that you don't need to invest much effort in it.

Only problem is: you have to rely on your arcane spellcaster to buff you, which is not granted and will consume his standard action

Kerilstrasz
2014-07-03, 02:16 PM
find a caster with the necessary crafting feats..
pay him to make a sleeve that you put as a tight glove on your weapons handle.
He will "magically trapped" (as per DMG magic traps rules) to cast enlarge person, with touch trigger & reset option.
reset could be either per round (or if that is xpensive enough) reset every X rounds where X is enlarge duration rounds -1

so.. whenever you draw/hold your weapon you get enlarged and remain until you put it away
also.. cause it is "sleeve-like" you can transfer it from weapon to weapon