PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Builds.

gc25774
2014-07-03, 09:12 AM
I'm still fairly new to DnD and I would like to know what my fellow role players have as a favorite build , Please Link your builds as well. I'll start.
Jack B. Quick 6 hits to 1
http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1062806

What's yours?

Socksy
2014-07-03, 12:57 PM
Avoid the f**k out of the monk and truenamer.

I like playing anything which gets 9th level spells or powers by level 17, because then I can theurge and still get my highest spell slots by 20th.

If I'm playing a Bard, I'll always try to get two levels of a Paladin variant in there for the CHA to saves.

In gestalt, I'll usually grab Rogue//Psion.

If I'm getting mostly rogue levels, I'll take a level of Psychic Rogue at 1st level for the e%tra sneak attack dice. I won't be missing out on anything if I don't get rogue 20, so Psychic Rogue 1/Rogue 19 is better than Rogue 20.

Iwasforger03
2014-07-03, 04:33 PM
Favorite (not op) builds that I've actually played? Samsaran Magus 6. Str Build, one tier mythic. Found a way that allowed me, with DM permission, to cast intensified shocking grasp as a 0 lvl spell, which the DM ruled for rule of hilarious/cool meant it qualified as a cantrip and could thus be cast an infinite number of times per day. (*Note: Technically the spell, even if reduced to lvl 0, would not ordinarily qualify as a cantrip and would therefore still only be useable a number of times equal to how many i prepared it)

Gnome Bard, non-optimized. He was hilarious. He carted around 5 crossbows and rather than reload he just switched crossbows. We started lvl 4, made it to lvl 6 in that campaign. Blew up half a city too.

Favorite build i never got to play: Gestalt 20 non 10. Sorcerer 20 paladin 14/ranger 6 + 1 epic sorcerer 1 beastmaster 8 halfing-outrider. Dragon Cohort, Dragon Steed. I had a paladin mount/animal companion Dragon, a Dragon Cohort, and the ability to summon up to 40+ more dragons a day.

Wacky89
2014-07-03, 05:16 PM
my favorite build is Totem Druid 1 / Master of Many Forms 10 / Nature’s Warrior 5 / Totem Druid 4
So versatile, it's like playing a fighter with a million playstyles.
This build is up to the DM allowing totem shape to prereq for MoMF. I havent had any problems with it tho

Jeff the Green
2014-07-03, 05:18 PM
There have been a couple I've built and love, but will probably never play. The first is the giant evil betentacled kitty build. (I really need a better name for it.) CE Tibbit Soulborn 2/Stoneblessed (goliath) 3/Goliath Lion Spirit Totem Barbarian 1/Warshaper 5/Totemist 2/Totem Rager 7. CE Soulborn makes it so your Strength doesn't fall in cat form, Goliath Barbarian gives you mountain rage so you become large when you rage, and Warshaper and Totemist give you lots of natural attacks. If you don't feel like abusing scads of natural attacks, you could also go with Dungeoncrasher, Psychic Warrior (expansion up to gargantuan if you can figure out a way to manifest in rage), swordsage or warblade, or add more barbarian levels. Wolf totem for tripping, maybe.

Tibbit Psychic Rogue 20 is pretty fun too.

Another is Sha'ir 4/Crusader 2/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Sacred Exorcist 1/RKV 7. Because Sha'ir counts as arcane and divine, it's pretty much the only way to have Abjurant Champion and RKV in the same build and be competent. You end up losing 9ths, but you get enough other goodies to make up for it.

Necropolitan llumian (Urrkrau) Beguiler 1/Archivist 2/Mystic Theurge 10/Archivist +7 (9) is fun too, since you have exactly two stats that matter (Dexterity for AC and Archivist bonus spells, and Intelligence for Beguiler casting and Archivist DCs), a bunch you can do on the fly and even more you can do with preparation. I played this (briefly) as a summoner, calling greenbound creatures and then illusions of more of them.

It's not super original, but Dwarf Ranger 2/Crusader 3/Deepwarden 2/Crusader +3 (6)/Deepstone Sentinel 5/Crusader +5 (11) is fun too as the dwarfiest dwarf you'll ever see. Also basically a fighter you will never ever get by.

Changeling can do a lot of fun things, but Wizard 5/Whatever is particularly cool because you can pick up the 1st and 3rd Elf substitution levels through Racial Emulation and the 5th changeling level to get elven generalist, a double benefit from your familiar, and the ability to swap that around whenever. So +8 Initiative when you're skulking around a dungeon, +4 to Reflex when you run into a dragon, +4 to Will when you run into a Succubus, +4 to Fortitude when you run into a naga, and +6 to Listen, Move Silently, Spot, Climb, Appraise, Bluff, Escape Artist, Sleight of Hand, and Survival whenever you need it. Then you can go into racially restricted PrCs; there aren't a ton for Wizards, but when I play this character I'll probably use Halfling Whistler (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20061121a). Bard chassis, easy prereqs, and decent class features? Yes please.

PraxisVetli
2014-07-03, 05:34 PM
Ardent1/sorc2/dread witch4/nightmare spinner3/cerebromancer10 with overcharge, practiced manifester, fell drain, dreadful wrath, and I don't even remember my other feats. Her name was Gabrielle, and she was a BLAST. DM had approved a third party Infuse Truth, a metamagic that removed [Mind Affecting] for two slots higher.
SO. MUCH. FUN.
otherwise, I'm playing currently a Pounce Barbarian1/ Fangshield Ranger2/Rogue1/Spellthief1/Swordsage1/Telflammar4/Black Blood Cultist8 Feral Poison Dusk Lizardfolk. Dm allowed me to Fangshield.
Also, can't remember exact levels, but once played a Ranger/Horizon Walker/ Deepwood Sniper/Rogue Jungle Gnome, with a homebrewed Composite Atlatl Javelins. She was a blast too.
About to be a gestalt Crusader/Paladin/Bard//Hellreaver/Warblade/Marshal. White Raven and Inspire Courage like noone's business (sorry, away from sheets atm, so can't give exact build).

Amphetryon
2014-07-03, 05:43 PM
Dread Necromancer 8/Crusader 2/Jade Phoenix Mage 10 has been on my 'to-do' list for quite some time, as has DN 8/Binder 2/Anima Mage 10.

Karnith
2014-07-03, 06:02 PM
I have always been fond of Cindy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=14084622&postcount=50) and Akakrin (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=7809), the old standby Arcane Thesis builds. Team Solars (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?188138-Team-Solars-%28Archiving%29) is pretty impressive, as well.

It's been so long since I've done anything but DM that I don't remember the exact build, but I quite enjoyed an old debuff-based build that ended up as something like Hexblade 4 (using the Dark Companion ACF)/Paladin of Tyranny 4/Binder 3/Blackguard 2.

And on a less serious note, I am absurdly fond of Chip, my Core-only Diviner 17/Archmage 3, despite the fact that I haven't been able to use him yet (and other people have (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?277381-Bob-Vs-Chip-Round-1)). I like him more because of his backstory and personality than his build, though.

akward Lad
2014-07-03, 09:46 PM
Mine was just a straight binder named Isaac
It might not sound to fancy or complicated, but I rolled what vestiges I bound randomly at the start of every day.
Was a blast to rollplay though the rest of the party spent the first half of the campaign thinking I was pants-on-head-insane
Also because it was the first time my group had really used anything from the tome of magic whenever something unusual happened to my character (for better or worse) the party assumed it was my own doing.

Bloodgruve
2014-07-04, 12:25 PM
Funnest I've played would be a dual Whip wielding Knowledge Devotion bard. Unfortunatly I only got to play a few sessions with him but it was super fun and I think I would have loved the character. Would have dipped a level of Lasher.

Another fun one is my persisting Sapphire Hierarch. Clerics are a bit bland to me but throw in a pinch of Incarnate and it fixes up the flavor quite nicely. ;)

Blood~

Donny_Green
2014-07-04, 03:28 PM
Knome beguiler shadowcraft mage. YUM... I also want to try a beguiler/wizard/ultimate magus/war weaver Fred Astaire build, but don't have the experience to comment on likability.