PDA

View Full Version : Gnome, Gnome on the Range

RadagastTheBrow
2014-07-03, 09:58 AM
We should be able to get everything we need from Tinkertown... if we can afford it.

Speculation time! The obvious-

1. They can't afford it.

2. They won't be able to get everything they need.

So, it looks like we're in Gnome-Town for a while. There's a good chance Durkula may be a bit of a blood-red herring for now, or at least put on the back-sunburner. I thought it might be fun to speculate on the variety of possible Gnome-tastic adventures and maybe ask some nice people to compile what little we know about Gnomes in the comic so far.

After all, something was just declared to be pretty simple and should go smoothly. What can go wrong?

Kish
2014-07-03, 11:56 AM
...No, Belkar is not going to grill and eat the residents of Gnometown.

Oh, I wasn't supposed to read the thread title that way?

TRH
2014-07-03, 12:34 PM
Who wants to lay odds on the possibility that that one Gnome trader Belkar killed back in DSTP is going to come back to haunt him again soon?

RadagastTheBrow
2014-07-03, 02:02 PM
Who wants to lay odds on the possibility that that one Gnome trader Belkar killed back in DSTP is going to come back to haunt him again soon?

That could happen! The party needs supplies, and that dagger-shaped dent in Gnome Town's economy could make things a bit difficult.

Rogar Demonblud
2014-07-03, 03:05 PM
And how would anyone know about the Order being involved at all, unless Haley blabs? Belkar's probably clean forgotten about it, and Celia is on another plane sweating finals.

Porthos
2014-07-03, 03:13 PM
And how would anyone know about the Order being involved at all, unless Haley blabs? Belkar's probably clean forgotten about it, and Celia is on another plane sweating finals.

How would anyone know what happened to the Juvenile Black Dragon? :smallwink:

Peelee
2014-07-03, 03:23 PM
How would anyone know what happened to the Juvenile Black Dragon? :smallwink:

Dead men tell no tales unless it's some sort of crazy D&D world where you have access to magic

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-03, 05:22 PM
I'm speculating that things in Tinkertown will not go very simply, and the Order will spend much longer there than they wanted. And, of course, there is the chance the the gnomes, using all resources to discover what happened to one of them, discovered who was responsible for his murder.

Keltest
2014-07-03, 06:04 PM
I'm speculating that things in Tinkertown will not go very simply, and the Order will spend much longer there than they wanted. And, of course, there is the chance the the gnomes, using all resources to discover what happened to one of them, discovered who was responsible for his murder.

What if everything goes fine in Tinkertown, its just that repairs will take too long so Roy and co set off on foot?

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-03, 06:23 PM
What if everything goes fine in Tinkertown, its just that repairs will take too long so Roy and co set off on foot?

My prediction would be wrong then.

Keltest
2014-07-03, 06:59 PM
My prediction would be wrong then.

That is far too mundane an answer. I demand to know what you have done with Jaxzan.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-03, 07:34 PM
That is far too mundane an answer. I demand to know what you have done with Jaxzan.

Do I have a reputation for unusual answers? :smalltongue:

Keltest
2014-07-03, 08:03 PM
Do I have a reputation for unusual answers? :smalltongue:

If you don't, I will do everything in my power to give you that reputation.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-03, 08:10 PM
If you don't, I will do everything in my power to give you that reputation.
Okay, so would you prefer:

Dread Banjulhu will not allow that to happen! The plot will tremble before his eldritch form and will cause delays to occur in Tinkertown! ? :smalltongue:

Keltest
2014-07-03, 08:11 PM
Okay, so would you prefer:

? :smalltongue:

Yes. That is much more eccentric.

UristMcRandom
2014-07-03, 09:24 PM
Personal opinion: everything goes fine-ish in Tinkertown funds/repairs-wise, but during the couple days they're there working on the Mechane, HPoH strikes upon the hapless Gnomish residents of the town.

zimmerwald1915
2014-07-03, 09:35 PM
A fair point, but on the other hand, Haley might blab. Not to the residents of Tinkertown, but she might mention the incident in passing where the vampire can hear. If Belkar's annoyed the vampire enough, it might inform the Tinkertown authorities.

Darth Paul
2014-07-03, 09:56 PM
Personal opinion: everything goes fine-ish in Tinkertown funds/repairs-wise, but during the couple days they're there working on the Mechane, HPoH strikes upon the hapless Gnomish residents of the town.

Problem- he has no motive. The OOTS has set up an All U Can Drink Buffet system for him, and it's in his interest to get to the North as fast as possible. Massacres slow things down.

There could easily, however, be a sidequest for the TinkerGnomes which the Order will be unable to resist taking up while awaiting repairs; and something could happen during that quest that trips up the HPoH and somehow reveals his presence/identity/true motives.

Reddish Mage
2014-07-04, 02:47 PM
Problem- he has no motive. The OOTS has set up an All U Can Drink Buffet system for him, and it's in his interest to get to the North as fast as possible. Massacres slow things down.

There could easily, however, be a sidequest for the TinkerGnomes which the Order will be unable to resist taking up while awaiting repairs; and something could happen during that quest that trips up the HPoH and somehow reveals his presence/identity/true motives.

The HPOH has motives given that the order only set up a minimal feeding system and as a vampire he may prefer to drain his victims dry. However it may be more likely Durkula won't take the chance. It's certain Durkula will reveal his true colors in this book and I've been predicting since former Durkon rejoined the party that the vampire will cause trouble when the team gets to the northlands.

Reddish Mage
2014-07-04, 02:50 PM
A fair point, but on the other hand, Haley might blab. Not to the residents of Tinkertown, but she might mention the incident in passing where the vampire can hear. If Belkar's annoyed the vampire enough, it might inform the Tinkertown authorities.

While consequences for past actions seem to be a theme, I don't see how this can fit into Belkar's redemptively-pointed story arc and do more then sidetrack things.

Keltest
2014-07-04, 03:21 PM
While consequences for past actions seem to be a theme, I don't see how this can fit into Belkar's redemptively-pointed story arc and do more then sidetrack things.

Sidetrack how? Certainly it isn't going to distract from things any more than HPoH killing some poor gnomes or anything like that. Certainly this book is going to be Durkon centered, but Belkar still has a story to tell too.

LadyEowyn
2014-07-04, 03:46 PM
Based on the name "Tinkertown", I'm really hoping we get some steampunk aesthetics.

Boogastreehouse
2014-07-04, 04:11 PM

Perhaps Belkar encounters Solt Lorkyurng's grieving relatives at some point. They don't know who Belkar is, so they are not distractingly hostile. I wonder if Belkar's reaction might deviate from the expected (hysterical laughter), now that he has developed a bit of empathy. This would tell us a great deal about his character.

My belief is that when confronted with the grieving Lorkyurngs, Belkar would not even remember the Gnome he killed at first—and the scene would appear to have little impact on him—but would later put the pieces together. Perhaps at an important moment.

Reddish Mage
2014-07-04, 04:28 PM
Sidetrack how? Certainly it isn't going to distract from things any more than HPoH killing some poor gnomes or anything like that. Certainly this book is going to be Durkon centered, but Belkar still has a story to tell too.

which is why I agreed it is unlikely HPOH will kill the poor gnomes (though not because he's well fed).

Keltest
2014-07-04, 04:43 PM
which is why I agreed it is unlikely HPOH will kill the poor gnomes (though not because he's well fed).

:smallconfused: If the only reason you can think of for HPoH not killing the gnomes is because Rich wants to get on with the story, I suggest you reevaluate what you know of the vampire and his goals and methods.

evileeyore
2014-07-04, 05:09 PM
Belkar's redemptively-pointed story arc ...
I don't think it's actually redemptive. I'm pretty sure he's faking it.

Unless you mean he's redeeming himself as a team-mate. Then yeah, he's totally a team player now.

Kish
2014-07-04, 07:35 PM
Belkar genuinely has some limited amount of empathy at this point--even for "not Mr. Scruffy."

That said, the eagerness of some people to greatly overinflate how much he's changed is the answer to how gnome slaughter could fit into his story arc: A reminder that Belkar the Almost-Complete monster, while a change from Belkar the Complete Monster, is still a long way from Belkar the Philanthropist.

(That said, I don't expect Belkar being unsupervised off the ship at Gnometown and I don't expect a long the-party-stops-at-Gnometown arc.)

Bulldog Psion
2014-07-05, 07:02 AM
It's just a chance for Bandana to talk with High Tinker Mekkatorque and get his autograph, really.

What? :smallwink:

Reddish Mage
2014-07-05, 08:56 AM
:smallconfused: If the only reason you can think of for HPoH not killing the gnomes is because Rich wants to get on with the story, I suggest you reevaluate what you know of the vampire and his goals and methods.

I suggest you read my original post before you twice criticize me for things when I said the exact opposite.

LordRahl6
2014-07-05, 10:39 AM
Based on the name "Tinkertown", I'm really hoping we get some steampunk aesthetics.

That, or we get a gnomish version of Santa's Workshop?!:smalleek: