PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Sir Edmund Blackadder the First (Boss Encounter)

Spore
2014-07-03, 10:50 AM
Hey,

I am trying to put together my first boss encounter (CR 4-6th level, depending on how good the group works) and I thought about my favorite coward in film history. So how would one create Lord Blackadder (from the 2nd series, so Elizabethean England) as an arrogant and sarcastic high elf (half-elf is okay, just to emphasize his bastard origin)?

His job would be to work for a corrupt merchant trying to blackmail and bankrupt the alchemist father of one of my PCs. But in the style of campaign I promised 'Edmund von Schwarznatter' would either attack with obvious advantage (CR+2/+3) or flee like the coward he is. He shouldn't be too good in either form of combat and have a style of battle that still influences the battlefield. Hiding and poisoning his weapon would be appropriate but also doesn't fit when I want a boasting monologue onto how the heroes will fail this time.

As much as I want to avoid spellcasting for this battle it might be necessary. (Oh and if someone could build me a fitting Baldrick I would be ever so grateful). Which direction of abilities, classes and templates would you advise?

Kol Korran
2014-07-03, 11:09 AM
I'm not great at builds, but my first thought is to have him as a beguiler. Lots of skills for social stuff and sneaking around, and cool spells for manipulation illusion and all kind of trickery, which is exactly Blackadder's style. He could easily fit in the court with these skills, as well as prove a master manipulator and schemer.

Not sure other than that at the moment

Spore
2014-07-03, 11:21 AM
I'm not great at builds, but my first thought is to have him as a beguiler.

This would translate to a PF bard archetype since I am unsure if I should use a class that has been disallowed at character creation for the heroes. Also bard tones down the amount of spellcasting. Demagogue comes to mind.

Which could easily translate into the encounter being in a shipyard and him standing atop to get the dockworkers to try and kill the PCs while he is up there safe and sound. He could start using his crossbow with poisoned arrows from up there.

What do you about Baldric the goblin? He should be pretty thick and uncharismatic but participating in the fight as well. I am leaning towards a barbarian build using turnips as thrown and melee weapons but that might just be too silly.

Ferronach
2014-07-03, 11:43 AM
Regardless of the build, Blackadder should have hich Luck bonusses to saves/AC etc.

Baldric could be a familiar of some sort....

You could always have him on the verge of defeat and have "Bob" swoop in to the rescue.
I would have Bob be something of a swashbuckler/rogue type

Or the Queen could come and save him with guards shouting something along the lines of "Nursey! Who are these people and why do they think that they can hurt Blackadder without our permission?"
The party would need fast talking to stay out of jail/the noose

Flickerdart
2014-07-03, 11:44 AM
Give him a mongrelfolk sidekick.

avr
2014-07-03, 12:21 PM
In Blackadder the First, Baldrick is the smart one. The closest to a non-magic class which uses intelligence is an alchemist. I guess Baldrick gets to throw bombs.

Blackadder might well have the Antagonise feat. I wouldn't be too surprised if he had a reach weapon, but if your image of him requires a sword maybe the Swashbuckler from the ACG would fit. Frantically parrying seems appropriate.

Ferronach
2014-07-03, 12:50 PM
In Blackadder the First, Baldrick is the smart one. The closest to a non-magic class which uses intelligence is an alchemist. I guess Baldrick gets to throw bombs.

Blackadder might well have the Antagonise feat. I wouldn't be too surprised if he had a reach weapon, but if your image of him requires a sword maybe the Swashbuckler from the ACG would fit. Frantically parrying seems appropriate.

Througout all 4 seasons and the films I think Baldric outshines Blackadder in a number of ways pertaining to the mental stats.
Personally I would give Blackadder a higher INT score but Baldric a higher WIS score.

avr
2014-07-03, 02:23 PM
Througout all 4 seasons and the films I think Baldric outshines Blackadder in a number of ways pertaining to the mental stats.
Personally I would give Blackadder a higher INT score but Baldric a higher WIS score.
No, in the first season Edmund, the Black Adder is an utter idiot with no redeeming mental qualities. Baldrick is - in that season and that season alone - actually smart.

Juntao112
2014-07-03, 02:25 PM
Hey,

I am trying to put together my first boss encounter (CR 4-6th level, depending on how good the group works) and I thought about my favorite coward in film history. So how would one create Lord Blackadder (from the 2nd series, so Elizabethean England) as an arrogant and sarcastic high elf (half-elf is okay, just to emphasize his bastard origin)?

His job would be to work for a corrupt merchant trying to blackmail and bankrupt the alchemist father of one of my PCs. But in the style of campaign I promised 'Edmund von Schwarznatter' would either attack with obvious advantage (CR+2/+3) or flee like the coward he is. He shouldn't be too good in either form of combat and have a style of battle that still influences the battlefield. Hiding and poisoning his weapon would be appropriate but also doesn't fit when I want a boasting monologue onto how the heroes will fail this time.

As much as I want to avoid spellcasting for this battle it might be necessary. (Oh and if someone could build me a fitting Baldrick I would be ever so grateful). Which direction of abilities, classes and templates would you advise?

The defining aspect about Blackadder is that he cheats.
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBhTIoIXoTI)

Yora
2014-07-03, 02:30 PM
You could always have him on the verge of defeat and have "Bob" swoop in to the rescue.
I would have Bob be something of a swashbuckler/rogue type

Or the Queen could come and save him with guards shouting something along the lines of "Nursey! Who are these people and why do they think that they can hurt Blackadder without our permission?"
The party would need fast talking to stay out of jail/the noose

Why Bob?

That sounds much more like a job for the Fighter/Swashbuckler Lord Flashheart.

The players will never be this delighted to have a deus ex machina rescue the defeated villain. Woof!

Ferronach
2014-07-03, 02:43 PM
Why Bob?

That sounds much more like a job for the Fighter/Swashbuckler Lord Flashheart.

The players will never be this delighted to have a deus ex machina rescue the defeated villain. Woof!

Well the OP did mention second iteration of Blackadder and it is a commical take on the "damsel in distress" scenario.

BWR
2014-07-03, 03:15 PM
The important thing to remember is that Blackadder is not half as clever as he thinks he is, in any incarnation. Apart from Baldrick in season one, he doesn't have much competetion, and sarcastic characters always look smarter than non-sarcastic ones, for some reason.
So don't give him any more than average intelligence in any case.

Spore
2014-07-03, 04:21 PM
No, in the first season Edmund, the Black Adder is an utter idiot with no redeeming mental qualities. Baldrick is - in that season and that season alone - actually smart.

I meant Blackadder the first as in first boss encounter but not first season. I actually aim for second season with Queeny, Nursey and Lord Flashheart. Lord Flashheart might be a cocky fleet captain for all I know. Blackadder in medieval England is far to underdeveloped for my taste (largely in the first parts where Atkinson still looks for ways on how to play Blackadder).

The important thing to remember is that Blackadder is not half as clever as he thinks he is, in any incarnation. Apart from Baldrick in season one, he doesn't have much competetion, and sarcastic characters always look smarter than non-sarcastic ones, for some reason.
So don't give him any more than average intelligence in any case.

This is why I lean towards a charismatic guy. He is smart - with people. He knows how to manipulate, to blackmail, to forge the situation into his benefit. But he isn't infallible which makes him great for a villain.