PDA

View Full Version : What movie charachters would you take for your DND party?

Ionsniper
2014-07-03, 11:56 AM
Ok so inspired by the custom setting thread, and a long conversation with a few friends last night, I figure Ill post a thread about the idea.

You wake up in a DND world with six crystals in front of you, You realize they can summon any six people youve seen from movie's, or television. Not the actors but the peopl from the movie itself. So who would you take? Im excluding animated and Marvel movies cause lets face it, theyve got some really OP people from those settings. I am however including Elsa from Frozen cause she is about to be in the Once Upon a Time tv series.

So who would be your go to people for creating your team?

Here's Mine

Leonidas - 300 - Tank
Riddick - Pitch Black - Skill Monkey/DPS
Elsa - Frozen - Caster
Robin Hood/Kevin Costner - Robin Hood - Ranged DPS
Merlin/Sam Niel - Merlin - Healer/Caster/Party Face
Monkey Kin/Jet Li - The Forbidden Kingdom - Melee DPS

Grimtina
2014-07-03, 03:08 PM
Well, depends... can we summon them at any age or last seen?

Ionsniper
2014-07-03, 03:29 PM
Yep from whatever movie you would take them from. They would appear as that charachter.

Jormengand
2014-07-03, 03:32 PM
Well...

It completely depends. Can we summon incredibly OP people like living Sauron and Galbatorix (let's face it; even Durza would give most people a run for their money)? If so, I summon those two as tank and face, which still leaves me someone else incredibly OP as my caster. Maybe a god? Or I'll just take the lady Melisandre from Game of Thrones, given that we know she can cast some weird spell which is either a summoning spell or a very metamagic'd phantasmal killer, and she throws ninth-level divinations (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/foresight.htm) around like they're going out of fashion. She can definitely cast Vision, (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/vision.htm) apparently as an SLA as it doesn't seem to produce strain (represented as XP loss) on her (although she uses material components, they're not the ones listed either).

I could probably grab a few more crazy-OP people too. I'm sure that at least one film (is there, for example, a film of the Keys to the Kingdom books? I doubt it, and won't Google it, but at one point Arthur becomes the Architect of the universe, and would therefore be capable of winning everything, ever.)

russdm
2014-07-03, 03:43 PM
That's easy:

Darth Vader For Tank
Darth Maul for DPS
Count Dooku as Caster/Face

Another possibility:

Conan (Arnold) for Tank
Akiro (Played by Mako) for Caster
Captain Jack Sparrow for Thief/Sneaky/Face
Riddick for helpful sneaky plus Face
Harry Dresden for Caster
Kili from The Hobbit for ranged combat

Broken Crown
2014-07-03, 03:54 PM
All animated characters are forbidden... except Elsa from "Frozen"?

That seems... strangely arbitrary.

Marvel characters are forbidden, so my first choice will naturally have to be:

Superman, played by Christopher Reeve, from "Superman" - because he's Superman!

Also:

Sherlock Holmes, played by Jeremy Brett, from "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes," for his keen observation and problem-solving skills.
Robin Hood, played by Errol Flynn, from "The Adventures of Robin Hood," because he's so much better than Kevin Costner.
Ellen Ripley, played by Sigourney Weaver, from "Alien(s)," for her ability to slaughter monsters in poorly-lit settings.
Obi-Wan Kenobi, played by Sir Alec Guiness, from "Star Wars," for hand-to-hand combat, precognition, healing, and wise advice. (I'd see about getting him a green lightsaber, though – the blue ones always lose.)

I want to save the last one for a full caster. No one's really coming to mind right now, so I'll give it some more thought.

Grimtina
2014-07-03, 04:00 PM
1 Indiana Jones
2 Legolas and
3 Gimli

And then it gets complicated. But...

4 Catweazle - he's used to being suddenly transported to elsewhere and hey he can do some magic!
5 Abu - someone needs to be able to steal stuff
6 Mola Ram... oh wait a sec, no, him and Indy would be at each other's throats... let's take a shaman instead. Logray! Primitive enough to get along in a D&D world.

Grimtina
2014-07-03, 04:03 PM
Captain Jack Sparrow for Thief/Sneaky/Face

Beein thinking of him but I'd not want him to go searching for rum or do his own thing all of a sudden :smallbiggrin:

Ionsniper
2014-07-03, 04:08 PM
Only reason Im allowing Elsa is because she will be in the new season of the TV Show Once upon a time. So I figured Id include her. Guess I should have said no super hero movies in general lol. Oh well.

Broken Crown
2014-07-03, 04:32 PM
Only reason Im allowing Elsa is because she will be in the new season of the TV Show Once upon a time. So I figured Id include her.

Wouldn't that make her "Elsa from Once Upon a Time" rather than "Elsa from Frozen," then?

Come to think of it, Leonidas from "300" is also an animated character. Or does motion capture not count?

Guess I should have said no super hero movies in general lol. Oh well.

Yeah, you were really asking for that one. :D

---

My sixth character:

Q, played by John de Lancie, from "Star Trek: TNG (and subsequent series)," because he can duplicate the powers of an optimized D&D full caster.

Eldan
2014-07-03, 04:50 PM
Are we going for power or interestingness here? Because Power is easy. I choose God (Morgan Freeman, Bruce Almighty) as Face, God (Alanis Morisette, Dogma) as Healer, God (Val Kilmer, the Prince of Egypt) as Caster and God (Graham Chapman, Monty Python and the Holy Grail) as the Spoony Bard.

Couldn't think of a tank, don't think I need one :smalltongue:

Cowardly Griffo
2014-07-03, 05:21 PM
What the heck:

Dr. Gregory House (House, M.D.): Healer

Fox (Wanted): Rogue / Archer

Eliot (Leverage): Tank

Tyrion Lannister (Game of Thrones): Face

Sam Clemens (Riverworld): Wizard

K-9 (Doctor Who): Team Pet

Would've had Elisa Maza on my team, by virtue of being pretty much the most competent and adaptable character ever, but she's animated, alas.

Yora
2014-07-03, 05:25 PM
Eboshi from Princess Mononoke as fighter/thief party leader.
Balsa from Seirei no Moribito as fighter. Olga from Metal Gear Solid 2 could also take that role.
Briareos from Appleseed as second frontline fighter.
Thane or Legion from Mass Effect 2 as archer-ranger, they are both very similar.
Faith from Mirrors Edge as thief.
G'Kar from Babylon 5 as cleric. (He gets spells from being in a D&D world.)
Morrigan from Dragon Age as mage, because Flemeth would just be silly overpowered.

Monkey Kin/Jet Li - The Forbidden Kingdom - Melee DPS
What? No superheroes but Monkey King? Don't know that specific movie, but Sun Wukong can beat up Superman.

Broken Crown
2014-07-03, 06:06 PM
Eboshi from Princess Mononoke as fighter/thief party leader.
Balsa from Seirei no Moribito as fighter. Olga from Metal Gear Solid 2 could also take that role.
Briareos from Appleseed as second frontline fighter.
Thane or Legion from Mass Effect 2 as archer-ranger, they are both very similar.
Faith from Mirrors Edge as thief.
G'Kar from Babylon 5 as cleric. (He gets spells from being in a D&D world.)
Morrigan from Dragon Age as mage, because Flemeth would just be silly overpowered.

Nice choices, but OP says no animated characters (and specifies movie or TV – no mention of video game characters), so most of these are disqualified.

FabulousFizban
2014-07-03, 08:54 PM
Snake Plissken
Jack Burton
Col. Jack O'Neil
Stuntman Mike
R.J. MacReady
Captain Ron

zinycor
2014-07-03, 09:44 PM
Han Solo
Jack Sparrow
Vito Corleone
Rhett Butler
Iron Man

EDIT: And Gollum

Pex
2014-07-03, 10:01 PM
Paladin - Captain America
Fighter (Monk) - The Dragon (Bruce Lee)
Cleric - Constantine
Wizard - Hermione Granger
Rogue - James Bond

Cowardly Griffo
2014-07-04, 04:44 AM
Wait, wait, better/funnier team:

Sirius Black (Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban): Wizard
Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg (The Fifth Element): Face
Dracula (Bram Stoker's Dracula, 1992): Fighter
Ivan Korshunov (Air Force One): Mastermind
Lieutenant James Gordon (The Dark Knight): Moral Center
Dr. Zachary Smith (Lost in Space): Druid

hymer
2014-07-04, 06:28 AM
I'm going for characters I think will be interesting on their own as well as together. It's a team that will do better out of fights than in them, but they're not complete slouches when combined.

For primary face and leader I'd take Caesar Divi Filius Augustus (Brian Blessed) from 'I Claudius' quick as boiled asparagus. As long as we can cover the blind spot for his family, he'd be magnificent. A radish may know no Greek, but he does!
Without trusty Agrippa and legions of redshirts, Augustus will need someone to deal with all the physical stuff. Buffy Ann Summers (Sarah Michelle Gellar) from Buffy should do the trick. She can both go do the thing and prevent that other thing.
Charles Emerson Winchester III (David Ogden Stiers) from M*A*S*H would be an excellently skilled and interesting healer, able to provide comic relief as well as petting the dog. Augustus will need to put him in his place every now and again, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester!
For skill monkey and loyal second to Augustus I'd take George Smiley (Gary Oldman and Alec Guiness would both do superbly) from 'Tinker, Tailor' movie or series. When the others get a little heated (and we know they will), he can keep his head level, say and do little, but keep things organized and see through clever deceptions.
We'll need some ranged firepower at some point no doubt, so let's ask Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) of Hunger Games fame to join the party. She'll complement Smiley's skills by being more outdoorsy to his spying skillz. I have a feeling she'll eventually fit in, forming some odd friendship with Winchester, and no doubt Buffy will feel big sisterly.
The group will need some magic it seems, so I think Gary Oldman takes the Smiley role, so I can have Alec Guiness play Obi-Wan Kenobi. He will work well with the big egos, can inform the heavies that these aren't the droids they're looking for, and he is just magical enough without taking everythng over like a Gandalf would tend to do.

Storm_Of_Snow
2014-07-04, 07:03 AM
Hmmm, I assume they don't come with any equipment.

The Terminator from T2 - tank. In fact, tank is probably an understatement. :smallamused:
Major Richard Sharpe of the 95th Rifles - shooting, especially sniping, and incidentally not a bad swordsman in his own right
River Tam - psychic and flanker/backup fighter
James Bond (Sean Connery of course, probably from You Only Live Twice) - infiltration, lockpicking, information gathering etc
Merlin (Colin Morgan from the Merlin TV series) - healer and caster in one handy package
Lara Croft - let's be honest, who's a better choice to have with you if you're digging around in dungeons and old tombs? Especially given the only other plausible choice, Indiana Jones, was older than her to start with.

If they do have equipment, then I'll just call The Doctor, and get a lift home in the Tardis. :smallbiggrin:

JustSomeGuy
2014-07-04, 07:23 AM
Arnold Swarzenneger (conan), fighter/thief: swordplay, horseplay

Arnold Swarzenneger (predator), fighter/ranger: traps/ranged/survival

Arnold Swarzenneger (terminator), fighter/wizard (his neuralnet processor will adapt i hope!): languages, memory/logic, time travel, infravision

Arnold Swarzenneger (true lies), fighter/bard: infiltration, seduction, fighter jet riding

Arnold Swarzenneger (kindaergarten cop), fighter/bard/er... cleric?: musical instrument, animal handling, dismissing tumours

Arnold Swarzenneger (red heat), fighter/fighter: grabbing hot rocks, some other stuff, i don't care anymore - this is way harder than i thought!

valadil
2014-07-04, 08:38 AM
Let's do this.

Gandalf
Yoda
The Terminator
Hulk Hogan
Indiana Jones

And Ron Jeremy (not that I know if his characters even have names but they're all interchangeable anyway) just to hold the party back and get them in trouble.

Angelalex242
2014-07-04, 08:43 AM
Superman
Batman
Thor
Hulk
Spider Man
Spawn

And once evil finishes surrendering and saying 'please don't hurt me...' I'll be over here...

Morbis Meh
2014-07-04, 04:00 PM
Team Mean: (they would not work together under the best of circumstances but hey my choice)

Riddick
The Witch King of Agmar
Emperor Palpatine
Freddy Kreuger
David Lo Pan
The Joker

Jay R
2014-07-04, 04:41 PM
Two casters:
Nicole Kidman as Isabel Bigelow
Rex Ingram as the djinn in The Thief of Baghdad (healing and other magic)

Two melee fighters:
Michael York as D'Artagnan as the dextrous fighter
Steve Reeves as Hercules as the power fighter

An archer:
Errol Flynn as Robin Hood as the archer

And a generalist:
James Coburn as Derek Flint

LordWerewulf
2014-07-07, 08:36 AM
Gandalf the Grey. Wizard.
Lee/Bruce Lee. Enter the Dragon. Monk.
Oliver Green. Ranger.
Cardinal Ximénez/ Michael Palin. Inquisitor.
Xena. Fighter.
Tyrion Lannister Rogue/Face.

falloutimperial
2014-07-07, 10:53 AM
I would take a different approach. I need to make a meaningful contribution to my party, or what's the point? So, Team Approachable would be as follows:

Harry Dresden (Fight me.)
Tobias, of the Animorphs
Doyle, of Angel
Stanley Yelnats IV
Bilbo Baggins

Bring on the dragons.

Jeff the Green
2014-07-07, 03:10 PM
I'm going to pull from some of my favorite more-obscure media (I don't watch enough movies or TV to stick to those).

Merlin, That Hideous Strength
Belgarion, The Belgariad
Sephrenia, The Elenium
Abuzohar, Many Waters
Proginoskes, A Wind in the Door
Peter Falk, Der Himmel über Berlin

OverdrivePrime
2014-07-07, 04:42 PM
Okay, we're going with a modified "No superheroes/supervillains, no animated people" from just movies, but we're still allowing incredibly powerful spellcasters/jedi and such? And I get to hang out with them and have fun adventures? Alright, cool.

Jean Luc Picard (http://youtu.be/gXB84fpWzg8): Bard/Cavalier/The Brains
Zoë Washburne (http://youtu.be/64r2LD_uxiI): 2nd in Command/Gets Stuff Done
Deja Thoris (http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/7492/lynncollinsstarsasdejah.jpg): Science Brainiac/Melee DPS
Adult version Hermione Granger (http://mygeekblasphemy.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/hermione-poster-deathly-hallows.jpg): Magic that's not cheating (ahem, Gandalf)
Casey Bowman (http://youtu.be/34xgxMiRP94): Ninja
Lando Calrissian (http://geekleagueofamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/StayClassy.jpg): Because Lando friggin' Calrissian

Sartharina
2014-07-07, 05:25 PM
Hmm...

Stelios and Astinos, 300 - Frontline Fighters and Eyecandy.
Colonel Miles Quaritch, Avatar - Leader
Van Helsing, Van Helsing - Divine Caster+Rogue
Maleficent, Maleficent - Arcane Caster.

Sith_Happens
2014-07-07, 09:18 PM
Are we going for power or interestingness here? Because Power is easy. I choose God (Morgan Freeman, Bruce Almighty) as Face, God (Alanis Morisette, Dogma) as Healer, God (Val Kilmer, the Prince of Egypt) as Caster and God (Graham Chapman, Monty Python and the Holy Grail) as the Spoony Bard.

Couldn't think of a tank, don't think I need one :smalltongue:

I think you win, though your choice of Face did give me an idea:

Malcolm Beech (Oblivion) -- The Leader
Bartok (The Last Knights, upcoming) -- The Front-Liner
Sloan (Wanted) -- The Marksman
Vitruvius (The LEGO Movie) -- The Caster
G-d (Bruce Almighty) -- The Skill-Monkey (because I don't see him participating in fights in any capacity, and making a lock slide open with a snap of your fingers totally counts as picking it:smalltongue:)
Lucius Fox (Batman trilogy) -- The Fixer

Of course, I expect that most encounters and dilemmas will be solvable via the hypnotic powers of a Morgan Freeman six-part harmony rather than by application of anyone's specific talents.:smallwink:

Raimun
2014-07-07, 09:37 PM
I'd need an optimal team. Let's see...

Black Widow (Avengers) - Rogue/Assassin
Catwoman (Batman Returns) - Rogue/Thief
Catwoman (Dark Knight Rises) - Rogue/Thief.
Buffy Summers (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) - Fighter/Insane stats
Xena (Xena) - Fighter
Galadriel (Lord of the Rings) - Mage.

And I'll volunteer to roll a Cleric. Heyoo!

Sure, half of my picks are from superhero-movies but they are hardly OP.

Jay R
2014-07-08, 09:21 AM
Does anybody have an example of a magical healer as good as Madame Pomfrey?

tomandtish
2014-07-08, 09:58 AM
Let's try a different approach (and I don't define people as human):

The Thing (1982's The Thing): Infiltrator, memory copier
Alien Queen (1986's Aliens): Quick attack, creates expendable party members
Skynet (Terminator series): Master planner, information expert, electronic warfare
Freddy Kruger (Nightmare on Elm Street series): mental attacks (played seriously, like first movie)
GORT (2008's Day the Earth Stood Still): Tank, nanite attack
Godzilla (2014's Godzilla): Tank, ranged attack, and hey, he's Godzilla.

Jay R
2014-07-10, 10:04 AM
A minor change to my party, now that I found a magical healer.

Two casters:
Nicole Kidman as Isabel Bigelow
Rex Ingram as the djinn in The Thief of Baghdad (healing and other magic)

A melee fighter:
Steve Reeves as Hercules

An archer:
Errol Flynn as Robin Hood

A Rogue:
James Coburn as Derek Flint

And a healer:
Gemma Jones as Madam Pomfrey

That's as close as I can get to a ideal standard D&D party using live-action movies.

Harbinger
2014-07-10, 12:22 PM
Tank: Harbinger (Mass Effect)

Caster: Dr. Manhattan (Watchmen)

Sneak/Face: Nyarlathotep (Cthulhu Mythos)

Healer: Dr. House (House M.D.)

vhfforever
2014-07-11, 02:55 AM
Let's see...for a fun group that will get things done in unconventional ways, and because I prefer my magic a little different.

Face - Chris 'Izzy' Cole : Mark Wahlberg from Rock Star
Sneak - Aaron Hallman : Benecio Del Toro from The Hunted
Front Line - John McClane : Bruce Willis from Die Hard
Mage - Dylan Rhodes : Mark Ruffalo from Now You See Me
Healer - Mr. Miyagi : Pat Morita from The Karate Kid
Wild Card - Charlie : Charlie Day from Always Sunny in Philidelphia

the vet
2014-07-12, 08:27 AM
Conan - big guy
Merlin from "Excalibur" - mage
Hoggle from "Labyrinth" - sneak
Fizgig from "Dark Crystal" - mascot