PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Shenanigans with weapons that are both ranged and melee

Jowgen
2014-07-03, 02:30 PM
Certain weapons, such as Spears, are both melee weapons and thrown aka ranged weapons.

I am wondering at the different ways that one can have fun with aka. exploit that.:smallbiggrin:

What I'm looking for are feats, item effects, enchantments, class features and so on that require you to use a melee or a ranged weapon but don't specify that you need to make a melee or ranged attack to gain the benefit (RAI be damned).

Examples of this are the weapon mastery feats, and the seeking ranged weapon property. :smallsmile:

Segev
2014-07-03, 02:39 PM
Point Blank Shot and Rapid Shot

Sian
2014-07-03, 02:46 PM
while not exactly what your asking for, i'm going to suggest Tormtor School from Drow of the Underdark ... when using a Javelin in Melee, hitting you can throw it as a swift action ... and you don't get penalties for using it in melee in the first place (as you'd usually get since its not designed for such) and +1 damage.

Curmudgeon
2014-07-03, 02:50 PM
Certain weapons, such as Spears, are both melee weapons and thrown aka ranged weapons.
What I'm looking for are feats, item effects, enchantments, class features and so on that require you to use a melee or a ranged weapon but don't specify that you need to make a melee or ranged attack to gain the benefit (RAI be damned). It's not just RAI. Weapons are categorized by their use, according to the rules.
Melee and Ranged Weapons

Melee weapons are used for making melee attacks, though some of them can be thrown as well. Ranged weapons are thrown weapons or projectile weapons that are not effective in melee.
You don't get both at the same time. A spear used in melee is not a thrown weapon not effective in melee. A thrown spear is not a weapon used for making melee attacks.

Your search for wishy-washy wording in feats & c. isn't going to help you because the general rules prevent such shenanigans.

Jowgen
2014-07-03, 05:28 PM
Point Blank Shot and Rapid Shot

I'll be damned. It's horrifically abuse of the RAI, but yes.

It's not just RAI. Weapons are categorized by their use, according to the rules.
You don't get both at the same time. A spear used in melee is not a thrown weapon not effective in melee. A thrown spear is not a weapon used for making melee attacks.

The Rules compendium p. 150 expands upon the SRD definition of ranged and melee weapons by adding:

Some melee weapons can be thrown, bridging these two categories.

While 'bridging these two categories' isn't the most explicitly clear phrase ever written, I do believe it sufficient for one to disagree with the notion that Weapons are categorized into one of two types by their use at a given point in time.

Also, the MIC item "Gauntlet of Infinite Blades" allows for the creation of +3 Seeking Daggers. Seeking is a property that can by its own definition only be added to ranged weapons. A Dagger, while not the greatest weapon, is definitely effective in melee, and as such it seems that this item contradicts your reading of the Melee and Ranged Weapon rules (lest I'm misunderstanding you).