PDA

View Full Version : The Longest Journey Trilogy

Deleran
2007-02-26, 09:51 PM
I just beat Dreamfall (http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/589700.asp?q=Dreamfall) last night. Gonna start on The Longest Journey (http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/198973.asp?q=The%20Longest%20Journey) soon. I've heard rumors on the internets that the third will come out sometime in '09/'10, with production starting after Age of Conan stuff winds down. I really liked Dreamfall, has anyone else played this series?

Fale
2007-02-26, 11:07 PM
I've played the first one (The Longest Journey) but not the second one yet. I can't say I fully enjoyed every moment of it, but I did enjoy it nevertheless. I plan to buy Dreamfall as the ending of the first game ended very suddenly.

Yuki Akuma
2007-02-27, 06:09 AM
I got the Dreamfall special edition; which includes an art book, the soundtrack, and The Longest Journey. As I've never played The Longest Journey, I'm playing through that before I get to Dreamfall.

I must say I'm enjoying it. April is a great protagonist, and the voice actors so far have an amazing range. I can only think of one character with an annoying voice so far, and that was probably the intention anyway.

Also, the Flipper is awesome.

Arang
2007-02-27, 11:23 AM
I played Dreamfall and enjoyed every second of it. Norwegian vocals annoyed me to no end, though.

Special edition with Dreamfall? I've got the Limited Edition (the white box), and there's only game, manual, soundtrack and art book inside. Are there two different editions?

step07mar
2007-02-27, 11:29 AM
with my addition i got both games,art book, soundtrack,and manual in a white box

Arang
2007-02-27, 11:43 AM
Hmm ... Maybe the Limited Editions released in Norway are different from the rest. :smalleek:

The Evil Thing
2007-03-01, 03:10 PM
The Longest Journey is probably the second best adventure game of all time, after Grim Fandango. I enjoyed the puzzles which were challenging but not obscure or arbitrary.

Dreamfall was ok, but I didn't honestly like what they'd done with April, she seems to have undergone the Serious Business transformation. Zoe was rather dull; I didn't really find much in her that I liked and I couldn't work out whether her "apathy" was in some way relevant to the story or just some background thrown in to give the impression of two dimensions. The voice acting also sounded pretty bored too. Kian was a good character - it's a shame that we saw so little of him. So essentially, we have a decently crafted story and poorly realised characters. Hopefully they will remedy that in the final game. I'm guessing it was intended more as a literal adventure game because I found the puzzles considerably easier. I spent more time walking (running) around than actually thinking about a solution. The advantage of point-and-click is that moving is SO much faster.

And yes, The Flip is awesome.
April: Would you consider non-monetary forms of payment?
Flipper: Sorry, babe, the urge passed with the legs.
April: What?! Oh God no! Ugh! I didn't mean that

blackout
2007-03-01, 07:52 PM
Q: What is the Longest Journey Trilogy? I have never heard of it, personally.

Arang
2007-03-02, 03:24 PM
It's an adventure game trilogy produced by the Norwegian company Funcom, who might be more famous for making Age of Conan and Anarchy Online. In any case, the games focus more on telling the story than it does on hard puzzles or advanced gameplay, which sets them slightly apart from other adventure games.

Game number one, The Longest Journey, came out in 1999, and Dreamfall, the second, came out last year. Number three has yet to be released, but Funcom recently confirmed that it will be out in an episodic format.

blackout
2007-03-02, 10:58 PM
So, what's the story about?

Arang
2007-03-03, 06:28 AM
Um ... that's kind of a long story. Basically there are two worlds, Stark and Arcadia, and the driving forces behind them are respectively technology and magic. Of course, things start going haywire in Arcadia, and somebody has to fix it. That somebody is the art student April Ryan, who becomes a kind of saviour for the Arcadian people. Complications arise and are overcome, and the balance is restored, at least until game number two, when things go screwy on Stark's end, and Zoë Castillo, another student (actually, ex-student), gets swept up into a whole lot of intrigue while trying to find a missing friend.

So basically, unwilling heroes (at least at first) and restoration of balance between worlds.

If you don't mind spoilers, I suppose you can check out Wikipedia, which has a decent plot synopsis for TLJ. Strangely, there's nothing for Dreamfall.

The Evil Thing
2007-03-04, 08:32 AM
Strangely, there's nothing for Dreamfall.Probably wasn't notable enough. :smalltongue:

blackout
2007-03-04, 09:21 AM
Well, thanks for the plot explanation. I'll check it out.