PDA

View Full Version : Reworked/Supplemented Heal Check (P.E.A.C.H.)

Dornith
2014-07-03, 05:07 PM
I was working on an NPC who specializes in healing when a thought occurred to me: once you get about 7 to 10 ranks in heal, it doesn't really do you much. Other than Quicken recovery, nothing in the official book has much of a check over 15 other than poison and disease, which still usually aren't much. It irritated me that it ranks quickly lost value like that. And while this was my main grievance, there were others to be sure:

Parties constantly find that, "We need a healer (AKA Cleric/Druid)."
I found that most skills can be used in a variety of scenarios, but heal is always used the same way: stabilize, and long-term care.
It doesn't matter how highly you rolled, you're still going to do an equally good job healing.
For the most part, heal spells make heal skills completely obsolete (Only exception is spell slots, but we have lots of casters so that's not a problem).

I found a page on D&D Wiki for some home-brew that makes heal checks function like heal spells, but it's a bit complicated, allows characters to heal at supernatural levels, and quickly becomes way too overpowered:
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Skill_Based_Healing_(3.5e_Variant_Rule)

So I decided to make a set of DC's of my own for healing. Also, each effect has a rate of heal, as to not completely overshadow heal spells.

DC Rate Effect
DC 10 min Treat spikes
DC+5 DC*2 min Neutralize Poison
DC+5 DC*2 min Cure Disease
15 0 Stabalize
15 1hp/hr/lvl Long-Term Care
17 0 Idenify Poison
20 1hp/2hr/lvl Ability Score Heal
20 1 min Delay Poison
20 2hp/hr/lvl Cure Light Wounds
23 1 min Remove Paralysis
25 3hp/hr/lvl Cure Moderate Wounds
30 4hp/hr/lvl Cure Serious Wounds
35 5hp/hr/lvl Cure Critical Wounds

For any effects that reference DC, it uses the DC of the target to be treated.
E.G. To treat a posion with a DC 17, the heal DC is 22, and takes 34 minutes.

For all spell-like effects, your cast level is considered to be your check - the DC.
E.G. I roll for cure light wounds, and I roll a 15, and I have 8 ranks in Heal. My caster level is considered to be 3.

I mostly looking for comments, opinions, and for anyone to point out if something is way to easy/hard.