PDA

View Full Version : Things I predicted

Lokiare
2014-07-03, 07:26 PM
I predicted several things that cut out the Mythic play style that is present in 4E. Other people also predicted many things that would inhibit the Mythic play style, new things have been added also, among them are:

1. Random rolling of ability scores as standard with the option of point buy or arrays (player choice over randomness is a key trait of the Mythic play style).

2. Low staring ability scores (if you use point buy the highest you can buy is 15).

3. The first 2 levels have low xp to advance, thus cutting out 12 levels from the last edition of the game. (levels are important because they are where Mythic players make tactical choices)

4. Advancement is barely noticeable. Proficiency bonus advances 1 point every 4 levels to a max of +6, meaning a +3 magic item is effectively worth 12 levels to attacks.

5. Broken combinations are still present. For instance Hill dwarves still grant medium armor proficiency which allows spell casters to gain all the benefits of armor and none of the penalties (lack of spell casting being the main one). High elves get a free cantrip which means they can combine a level scaling spell with multiple attacks per round. These kinds of things were pointed out over and over in the play test and ignored. New ones have cropped up also like the Halflings inability to ever roll a fumble. Uncanny Dodge makes the Rogue a better defender than the Fighter.

6. Low starting HP. CR 1/4 monsters have a good chance of one or two shotting most characters. (the ability to react to and change an outcome based on player choices is a key trait of the Mythic play style).

7. Action Surge combines with bonus actions. So you can take your normal action, a bonus action, and then action surge on top of it.

8. It includes the simple fighter build only.

9. They got rid of the fighters ability to not die. Now its just like any other class (weaker than casters of course).

10. They made the Rogue into a skill monkey despite it only being a skill monkey in one edition (3E). It would have been fine as an option to choose, but its the default. (they get four skills compared to everyone else getting two, and of those four they get double proficiency on two of them, at sixth they get the other two). Reliable talent makes any roll below a 9 a 10. Stroke of luck auto 20's any skill check once per short rest. It would have been fine if they had shoved all that into a "Skill Master" sub-class.

11. Evasion is nearly worthless since Dexterity is no longer the main saving throw like in previous editions.

12. Casters still have insane amounts of spell slots at mid to high levels. (my post on non-casters needing d12 weapons and 4-6 attacks per round at level 5 to keep up with a level 5 caster comes to mind).

13. Casters can prepare a number of spells equal to level + spell casting ability score modifier. Meaning massive versatility since they can choose which spell to cast at any given moment. They can literally be prepared for anything.

14. 5E doesn't vary by much from the final play test packet. A lot of it is a carbon copy.

15. Hilariously a 1st level wizard can die in a hunting trap if it fails to get out after 2 tries.

16. Ability score prerequisites for multi-classing.

17. (Dis)Advantage is still broken. You can still be intoxicated, blind, stunned, and prone and still have the same penalty as another character who is prone.

18. The skill DC table is still messed up. Rogues can do nearly impossible things, and other classes are going to be struggling to do medium things on a regular basis.

19. I busted out laughing when I read the water requirements per day. That is way too much. Two gallons a day on a hot day. Hope every character is carrying around a bag of holding filled with water or something.

20. Disengage suddenly became overpowered. Your movement doesn't provoke OA's for the rest of your turn? ok. I'll just take a round to stroll past all the BBEG's minions and stand right next to him so I can start my next round by insta killing it.

I'll stop there as I'm at the spell list. I'll probably add more later.

Felhammer
2014-07-03, 07:35 PM
The real question is - now that you know beyond a shadow of a doubt the basic game is not to your liking - what game are you going to play?

Meanwhile, everyone else will enjoy their new shiny. :smallsmile:

Lokiare
2014-07-03, 07:48 PM
The real question is - now that you know beyond a shadow of a doubt the basic game is not to your liking - what game are you going to play?

Meanwhile, everyone else will enjoy their new shiny. :smallsmile:

I'm playing 4E and 13th Age at the moment, but I was really hoping the play test and articles was some kind of joke to hide the real project. You know, a game that everyone can play. They could have done it too...:smallsmile:

pwykersotz
2014-07-03, 07:51 PM
The water limits may seem like a bit much, but it's fairly reasonable when you consider how active adventurers are. Half a gallon a day (64 ounces) is the number that gets most recommended. I know when I'm active I drink easily twice that.

Lokiare
2014-07-03, 08:07 PM
The water limits may seem like a bit much, but it's fairly reasonable when you consider how active adventurers are. Half a gallon a day (64 ounces) is the number that gets most recommended. I know when I'm active I drink easily twice that.

When I'm active I'm lucky if I drink 2 glasses. When I'm not active I drink less than a glass of water per day. The numbers are way out of whack.

Arzanyos
2014-07-03, 08:11 PM
When I'm active I'm lucky if I drink 2 glasses. When I'm not active I drink less than a glass of water per day. The numbers are way out of whack.

Two glasses a day, if you're active? That doesn't seem healthy. Do you drink other things than water those days?

Roland St. Jude
2014-07-03, 08:15 PM
Sheriff: We don't need everyone to start their own thread about what they predicted. The forum would be overrun with individual, self-congratulatory threads.