PDA

View Full Version : STarter Set unboxing

CyberThread
2014-07-03, 09:03 PM
Hey took some pictures, of the box I just picked up about... 3 hours ago, if you have any questions or things I can cover without breaking the rules of the forum ( IE quality of what is in it, and what it has) feel free to ask

http://imgur.com/N92RB10,g4Jwkhb,wXDrKvZ,zD0W4ko,QZuo6F3,XNy1QBY,F9 txfsZ,L1VosJX,yLGliAo,cCXZmBC,AaUwvN0#0

Yorrin
2014-07-03, 09:19 PM
Cool stuff! I'm trying to think how to ask you to post monster stats without breaking any rules :smalltongue:

CyberThread
2014-07-03, 09:23 PM
I'll meet you in the middle an dpost you what monsters there are...

Bugbear
Commoner
Cultist
Doppelganger
Evil Mage
Flameskull
Ghoul
Giant Spider
Goblin
Grick
Hobgoblin
Wraith
Nothic
Ochre Jelly
Ogre
Orc
Owlbear
Ruffian
Skelaton
Spectator(sortta a mini beholder)
stirge
twig blight
wolf
green dragon
zombie

Yorrin
2014-07-03, 09:28 PM
I'll meet you in the middle an dpost you what monsters there are...

list

That answers a lot of questions, actually. Dang. I'm almost wishing I bought the thing, since the plot I've written for my first 5e campaign relies on some of those monsters rather heavily, and I could actually start it now instead of having to wait...

I'll only ask you for one pair of numbers, though, if you don't think it'd be breaking the rules to tell them. Specifically the CR and XP value of the skeleton:smallwink:

CyberThread
2014-07-03, 09:39 PM
20 bucks... skip a few coffees....

1/4 CR, won't say the xp :) just to cover my own ass, also some things that are wierd about it that you won't see in say 3.5..

It has an intelligence score, it has a sort of living radar you know detects things around it as an always on feature , and can only understand languages/orders from what it spoke in life but can't speak them as a skeleton.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-07-03, 09:44 PM
Cool stuff! I'm trying to think how to ask you to post monster stats without breaking any rules :smalltongue:

CoughPMcough

:smallbiggrin:

I ordered mine via amazon so I'll get it eventually.

CyberThread
2014-07-03, 09:45 PM
CoughPMcough

:smallbiggrin:

please don't I don't want my thread closed down :)

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-07-03, 09:47 PM
please don't I don't want my thread closed down :)

That is the face of a joker

Now I want a 90' Joker clown face smiley...

Yorrin
2014-07-03, 09:50 PM
20 bucks... skip a few coffees....

1/4 CR, won't say the xp :) just to cover my own ass, also some things that are wierd about it that you won't see in say 3.5..

It has an intelligence score, it has a sort of living radar you know detects things around it as an always on feature , and can only understand languages/orders from what it spoke in life but can't speak them as a skeleton.

Thanks! That at least tells me I can use them as opponents for my first level party, now I just have to wait to see how many of them the party will have to wade through to get that first level :smallbiggrin:

As for the other stuff... after seeing the ooze with an intelligence score I had come to the conclusion that non-ability scores weren't a thing anymore. But passive lifesense actually makes these much more useful to a necromancer BBEG. The language thing actually ruins a plan I had where my necromancer was going to rearrange the bones of wolves into a mockery of a human skeleton and animate them. I might still do that part just for kicks, and say that the BBEG was just that awesome of a necromancer :smalltongue:

Envyus
2014-07-03, 09:56 PM
My Question is what are the Bugbear and Goblin's unique powers. So long as you don't post the stat block you can say what those are.

CyberThread
2014-07-03, 10:04 PM
My Question is what are the Bugbear and Goblin's unique powers. So long as you don't post the stat block you can say what those are.

Bugbears can do an extra die of damage if they hit with a melee weapon, and if they get a surpise attack , they get to do extra damage

Goblins get to disengage or hide action to what is the 5e's equivalent of a free action 3.5

CyberThread
2014-07-03, 10:31 PM
Sonic is not a thing anymore as far as damage goes, it is now known as thunder

da_chicken
2014-07-04, 12:40 AM
Sonic is not a thing anymore as far as damage goes, it is now known as thunder

I look forward to playing Thunder the Hedgehog on my 3DS.

rlc
2014-07-05, 12:55 PM
Thanks! That at least tells me I can use them as opponents for my first level party, now I just have to wait to see how many of them the party will have to wade through to get that first level :smallbiggrin:

Best guess is around 27 skeletons.
I could show the math I used, but it probably doesn't make sense anywhere except for in my head. And it's still probably wrong anyway.

Yorrin
2014-07-05, 02:36 PM
Best guess is around 27 skeletons.
I could show the math I used, but it probably doesn't make sense anywhere except for in my head. And it's still probably wrong anyway.

Yeah, I was guessing around 30 on the high end. On the low end... maybe 10? That first level is supposed to be pretty quick, after all.

Callin
2014-07-05, 03:17 PM
Arbitrary number if Skeleton equals 100 xp then it would take 15 skeletons for a party of 5 to reach lvl 2

rlc
2014-07-05, 04:36 PM
I think hobgoblins are 1/2 and if skeletons are 1/4, they probably give at most half of the xp