PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Help with Cloudy Conjuration

dextercorvia
2014-07-03, 10:19 PM
The question I'm having is about how this line applies:

The cloud can appear in your space, adjacent to you, or in the space of or adjacent to your target (if any).

Does the use of the word target there mean that clause only applies to Conjuration spells with a Target line?

How does Cloudy Conjuration work with the Orb of X spells?

What about the area version of Grease?

Skevvix
2014-07-04, 12:29 AM
The question I'm having is about how this line applies:

The cloud can appear in your space, adjacent to you, or in the space of or adjacent to your target (if any).

Does the use of the word target there mean that clause only applies to Conjuration spells with a Target line?

How does Cloudy Conjuration work with the Orb of X spells?

What about the area version of Grease?

Emphasis added. This clause means that a target is not needed to function, but is acceptable.

The cloud can appear in any of those locations given with the Orb spells, as you make a ranged touch attack on your target.

For grease you are targeting a grid intersection, and would be able to have the cloud appear in any of the adjacent squares as well as next to you.

dextercorvia
2014-07-04, 09:36 AM
I know that you can always have the cloud appear next to you. I know that it doesn't need a target to function. So, if you wanted to cast a grease over there, and pop a cloud right here, that's fine. But, if you don't have a target how can you put it next to your "target"?

I'm not sure where you are getting that you target an orb on the creature you aim at. I can't find that anywhere. Also, where does it say that area spells are targeted on a grid intersection. They have a point of origin, but I can't find the word target anywhere.

One more: Is there any rules support for having a summoned creature appear in the cloud (and have the cloud not be adjacent to the caster)?

Edit: I re-read the Orb spells, and even though they are effect spells, it refers to them as having a target, so I guess that works. Still wondering about Summons and Area spells at a distance.

Elkad
2014-07-04, 09:58 AM
You are targeting a square for the summons to appear in.