PDA

View Full Version : DM Help BBEG Equipment

BioCharge
2014-07-03, 10:44 PM
Hey guys, first time posting here

I mainly want to ask the question of how do you guys determine the BBEG's equipment. So far, what I've been using is "Table 3-5: Treasure" in the DM guide, and using the list there. If it helps any, he's going to be a level 15 Warmage. The main problem is how do I determine whether something is a "medium" item or "major", etc.

This is my first time DMing something, and so far my players are having fun, so I suppose I can't be doing too bad. I'd still like advice here so I can figure out how to effectively balance this guy.

Thanks all,

-BioCharge

Captnq
2014-07-04, 12:15 AM
MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Your SOUL IS MINE, NOOB!

Err.. hrm... Sorry about that. Force of habit.

Go to my sig file. Go to the EVD. I suggest downloading all the handbooks, but the Combat Equipment is what will help you the most.

NEVER equip your BBEG with something you don't want the players to have. Consider the 30% price reduction on a magic item that can only be used by someone of his class and alignment. Potions, wands with limited charges, scrolls are all good choices. Why? Because whatever you give the BBEG, the players will take.

Awesome equipment to have Bracers of armor (AC 1) +5 with Ghost touch. (49,000 gp) +6 to AC, +11 to touch attack. Yes, you can give bracers of armor EB.

Look at armor crystals, animated shields, And super oversized weapons that require feats to use. Exotic oversized weapons are a pain to use when captured. Solid Gold Fullblades for example. A dragonbone bone bow is another good choice. Wonderful weapons, a pain for players to use.

Unless you want to get really twinky, avoid the purple WSAs in the WSA file. But still, smoking is an awesome WSA for any grapple. Also look at the gauntlet folder as well, if you want to go for a BBEG who strangles people and has gool giant war spiked gauntlets and crap.

As for Mundane magic items. Roll randomly and keep adding stuff until you max out his WBL.

BioCharge
2014-07-04, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the info! Though that file you linked me to is refusing to download, hmm. I should have enough of an idea from your post as what to do. I was going by WBL anyway, so there's that.

I appreciate your help and if anyone else has advice, feel free to give it!

Captnq
2014-07-04, 10:46 AM
Did you uncheck the "Use our download manager and get recommended downloads" box and click on the Green Box in the upper middle of the screen that has the file name in it?

I put the instructions in bold so it's more clear.

Gildedragon
2014-07-04, 11:22 AM
BBEGs need to be considered as PCs in terms of WBL, and seeing how they are the Big Bads, they need to be crafted. Takes a while but tinker with them, give them equipment that is relevant to their goals, give them wondrous architecture, give them consumables or the means to make consumables...

For more run of the mill Evilers: check the MIC, they have this cute item-level concept that makes gearing up pretty quick. You don't bother with WBL you just pick X items from level 1, 2, 3, 4...

Check out Champions of Ruin, Exemplars of Evil, and Kingdoms of Kalamar's Villain Design Handbook

Solarix
2014-07-04, 12:26 PM
There's also another option when dealing with the magic items that you don't want your players to use. You can just add alignment/skill/class restrictions, which normally are used to reduce costs when crafting, but can also be used to prevent access to your players to powerful items i.e. an item that can be used only by a chaotic evil warmage that has at least 10 ranks in Spellcraft. A bit crude, since players might feel cheated, I would suggest only doing so at most to one or two items.

Beyond that, since it's a warmage, increasing defenses (both AC and against magic) and DCs for the spells would work. Amulets of Natural Armor, Bracers of Armor, Cloak of Etherealness, Mantle of Spell Resistance, and such, work well on the defense part (as usual for most spellcasting classes).

You can have him use one time only items as well (scrolls or potions prior to the combat, wands or staves during combat). It also depends on the build, if you're going to focus on blasting, or something else like Arcane Strike.

As for determining if an item it's medium or major, you can look them up in the tables, the tables show where the item belongs.