PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.X] Javelin Fear-Grappler

Irk
2014-07-03, 11:46 PM
This is a concpet build combining two ideas I've had for a while: a ranged grappler using Tormtor school and a fear based grappler taking advantage of the Gruseome Lurker's (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20070711a&page=2) Fear Eater ability. The basic idea is to apply as many status affects connected to grappling to one opponent in a single turn.

Phrenic Warforged Martial Wizard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizard) 5/Duskblade 3/Fighter 2/Monk 1/Master Thrower 1

FEATS
[Duskblade 1-3] 2-4: Precise Shot, PBS [City Slicker], Weapon Focus (Javelin [Vulnerable], Intimidating Strike
[Monk 1] 4: Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist [Monk Bonus]
[Fighter 1] 5: Improved Grapple
[Fighter 2] 6: Ranged Pin, Frightful Presence
[Martial Wizard 1-5] 7-11: Assume Supernatural Ability, Tormtor School, Choke Hold
[Master Thrower 1] 12: Quick Draw, Scorpion's Grasp

The progression could be anything really as the build is meant to be played at level 14 (12 if you can use LA buyoff). Make sure you pick Tripping Shto for Master Thrower. I tried to maintain a bit of CHA-SADness, as it applies to a lot of the ability saves, but there is clearly reliance on both WIS and INT as well. I would recommend Slipper of Battledancing and +6 CHA item as well as a +4 INT item and a +2 WIS item. Phrenic already gives CHA a boost, so starting from 18, it should be 26 now.
As for spells, Arcane Channeling + Wizard spells means things like the Shivering Touch line. Other spells include Corrosive Touch (adds to grapples), and Vampiric Touch.

Essentially, before combat, Alter Self into a Gruesome Lurker. Each round draw a Javelin, move, channel something like Shivering Touch, attack with your Javelin, and throw it at another opponent, activating Frightful Presence and Intimidating Strike (which won't give you a penalty on attacks thanks to the wording of Tormtor School). Then, both are grappled, they both take 1d4 WIS damage at a save DC of 24 (higher if you increased CHA at 4 and 8). In addition, the target you threw at will be prone from Tripping Shot and both will be unconscious for 1d3 rounds.

To summarize, one opponent took 1d4 WIS damage, 3d6 DEX damage, is shaken, pinned, and unconscious, while the other has taken 1d4 WIS damage, is shaken, pinned, unconscious, and prone.

Then you can repeat the next turn.

For later levels, I would recommend Warblade 6/Totemist 2 (Warblade 4/Totemist 2 or Warblade 5/Totemist 1 w/o LA buyoff) with Power Attack and Open Least Chakra (Arms) with Kraken Mantle and the Diamond Mind counters. Phrenic lets you 'take 15' on a save through those counters, boosting up bad saves and Kraken Mantle adds a bit of damage. If you took Throw Anything, then the whole trick could be done with any weapon thanks to Weapon Aptitude. Tormtor school's awkward 'no penalty to hit' wording means that you could potentially activate Power Attack without penalty, and Maneuvers should work with the attack, so Insightful Strike can combo with Psionic Focus, and you have access to other, more powerful attacks.

Thanks to Vaz and Sian for pointing out some major flaws in the original build and giving some great suggestions!

Sian
2014-07-04, 12:25 AM
Given that Grabble is an attack roll, anything that adds Charisma to 'To-Hit' should do the trick, and in length anything that replaces strength on melee attack rolls should be an possible replacement

Irk
2014-07-04, 12:34 AM
Given that Grabble is an attack roll, anything that adds Charisma to 'To-Hit' should do the trick, and in length anything that replaces strength on melee attack rolls should be an possible replacement
good point. Slippers of Battledancing ought to do the trick then.

Sian
2014-07-04, 12:46 AM
but it would give some new issues, with it demanding that you run some kind of Pounce or Manyshot or the like, so you can move while attacking.

Irk
2014-07-04, 12:55 AM
but it would give some new issues, with it demanding that you run some kind of Pounce or Manyshot or the like, so you can move while attacking.
Yes, especially considering the use of Avenging Executioner. Alternatively, Frightful Presence and Intimidating Strike could work.

Sian
2014-07-04, 03:18 AM
actually, looking at the Gruesome Lurker that you linked to ... its a Construct, not a fey so that might scupper your basic idea

Vaz
2014-07-04, 07:05 AM
Just want to say fair play for getting in Ranged Pin. However, I'd advise getting Choke Hold in there as well if possible. You have the prereq's - as a Ranged Pin still triggers Choke Hold from what I can read, you can pin targets to pillars etc and then knock them unconcious for D3 rounds. The biggest problem of getting Choke Hold and Ranged Pin in place is the number of feats - and you've already achieved both prereq's.

Getting some poison which hurts their Dexterity or their Strength makes it even easier to succeed on it, but you're going to need Toxic Javelins (DotU, according to Arsenic and Old Lace).

The Gruesome Lurker is a Construct, not sure where Fey comes into it.

Warforged is a playable construct, I'm not sure of any template which makes you construct outside of Dustform, and that makes you unplayable (Int -). It takes a couple of feats, as opposed to one (and you lose one feat as well as a result of not being human), but Practised Manifester, Metamorphic Transfer on an Ardent 3 gives you 7HD forms to choose from, but gets you an extra level to play with, Fighter 4, say.

Irk
2014-07-04, 11:07 AM
actually, looking at the Gruesome Lurker that you linked to ... its a Construct, not a fey so that might scupper your basic idea

Just want to say fair play for getting in Ranged Pin. However, I'd advise getting Choke Hold in there as well if possible. You have the prereq's - as a Ranged Pin still triggers Choke Hold from what I can read, you can pin targets to pillars etc and then knock them unconcious for D3 rounds. The biggest problem of getting Choke Hold and Ranged Pin in place is the number of feats - and you've already achieved both prereq's.

Getting some poison which hurts their Dexterity or their Strength makes it even easier to succeed on it, but you're going to need Toxic Javelins (DotU, according to Arsenic and Old Lace).

The Gruesome Lurker is a Construct, not sure where Fey comes into it.

Warforged is a playable construct, I'm not sure of any template which makes you construct outside of Dustform, and that makes you unplayable (Int -). It takes a couple of feats, as opposed to one (and you lose one feat as well as a result of not being human), but Practised Manifester, Metamorphic Transfer on an Ardent 3 gives you 7HD forms to choose from, but gets you an extra level to play with, Fighter 4, say.
Aw crap, you guys are right. I can't believe I did not notice that it was a Construct. I'm actually going to scrap the basic idea and totally re-write it. The problem is that it'll become quite MAD, requiring CHA, WIS, and maybe another stat as well, two of which the Warforged take hits to. I'll work on it, thanks for making me look less of an idiot to anyone who looks here later on.

Sian
2014-07-05, 12:02 PM
Incarnate Construct does so you're no longer a construct so your Alter-self into Gruesome Lurker doesn't work any longer

Irk
2014-07-05, 01:59 PM
Incarnate Construct does so you're no longer a construct so your Alter-self into Gruesome Lurker doesn't work any longer
I honestly don't know what I'd do without you guys. Thanks!