PDA

View Full Version : Player Help 4e Cleric Help

CNasty
2014-07-04, 03:30 AM
I am currently playing a Kalashtar Cleric focusing on healing for a 4e campaign with some friends. I'm new to both 4e and clerics so I'm still trying get a handle on everything. We just hit level 7 after wiping out the BBEG and now we have our choice of any +2 or Lvl 10 and lower item. We have access to PHB 1-3, the Power books, AV 1&2, HoS, HotFK, The Underdark, ToH, Demonomicon, Draconomicon, Open Grave, MM 1-3, and MotP. I hope I got all of those abbreviations right. My character currently looks like this:

Str 13 (+1)
Con 13 (+1)
Dex 9 (-1)
Int 11 (+0)
Wis 19 (+4)
Chr 18 (+4)

50 HP
22 AC

Feats:
Channel Divinity: Raven Queen's Blessing
Healer's Implement
Armor Proficiency (Scale)
Defensive Healing Word

Items:
+2 Holy Healer's Scythe
+2 Exalted Scale Armor
+2 Holy Symbol of Life
+1 Healer's Brooch
Bracers of Respite

Powers:
Sacred Flame
Astral Seal
Healer's Mercy
Raven Queen's Blessing
Healing Word
Healing Strike
Daunting Light
Beacon of Hope
Cure Light Wounds
Consecrated Ground
Spirit of Healing

I know my character isn't fully optimized; there was definitely some stuff thrown in without having done the necessary research. I'd love any overall suggestions for improvement, but I'm also specifically looking for advice on what item to pick out and what level 7 power to go for. For the items, I already have the staples at +2 (implement, weapon, armor) so I'm unsure what to take as a freebie, short of the most expensive thing which I could then sell (not my favorite option). For the powers, I was considering Zealous Sanction until I ran it by my DM and he ruled that it only healed the first ally to hit the target. Thank you in advance!

Inevitability
2014-07-04, 08:23 AM
7th level utility power? You gain an encounter power at that level, not an utility power.

Kimera757
2014-07-04, 05:46 PM
I am currently playing a Kalashtar Cleric focusing on healing for a 4e campaign with some friends. I'm new to both 4e and clerics so I'm still trying get a handle on everything. We just hit level 7 after wiping out the BBEG and now we have our choice of any +2 or Lvl 10 and lower item. We have access to PHB 1-3, the Power books, AV 1&2, HoS, HotFK, The Underdark, ToH, Demonomicon, Draconomicon, Open Grave, MM 1-3, and MotP. I hope I got all of those abbreviations right. My character currently looks like this:

Str 13 (+1)
Con 13 (+1)
Dex 9 (-1)
Int 11 (+0)
Wis 19 (+4)
Chr 18 (+4)

50 HP
22 AC

Feats:
Channel Divinity: Raven Queen's Blessing
Healer's Implement
Armor Proficiency (Scale)
Defensive Healing Word

Items:
+2 Holy Healer's Scythe
+2 Exalted Scale Armor
+2 Holy Symbol of Life
+1 Healer's Brooch
Bracers of Respite

Powers:
Sacred Flame
Astral Seal
Healer's Mercy
Raven Queen's Blessing
Healing Word
Healing Strike
Daunting Light
Beacon of Hope
Cure Light Wounds
Consecrated Ground
Spirit of Healing

I know my character isn't fully optimized; there was definitely some stuff thrown in without having done the necessary research. I'd love any overall suggestions for improvement, but I'm also specifically looking for advice on what item to pick out and what level 7 utility power to go for. For the items, I already have the staples at +2 (implement, weapon, armor) so I'm unsure what to take as a freebie, short of the most expensive thing which I could then sell (not my favorite option). For the powers, I was considering Zealous Sanction until I ran it by my DM and he ruled that it only healed the first ally to hit the target. Thank you in advance!

I presume you mean 7th-level attack power, as you already have a level 6 utility power. I'm looking at Raven's Talon from Heroes of Shadow as that seems to be the only 7th-level healing power beyond Zealous Sanction. (By the way, the DM didn't "rule" on ZS, that's what the power says. Maybe it was errata'd to that.)

Given your build, I'd drop all the melee powers. Healing Strike may fit your concept (since it adds on healing), but... you have a low Strength score, and you won't hit very often unless you spend a feat that lets you use Wisdom instead of Strength for melee attacks. (I don't recall the name of the feat, and that feat might only apply to melee basic attacks anyway.) Otherwise your power selection looks fine. Probably not optimized, but short of becoming a pacifist cleric you're as healy as it gets.

Generally a PC only gets four items, so I'm not sure why the DM is giving you more. See if you can find a Battle Standard of Healing. That item increases healing minimally, but whenever someone spends a healing surge, everyone heals. Great when a PC has fallen unconscious and you need them alive now.

CNasty
2014-07-05, 06:16 PM
Ahh, thanks for catching that. I think I spent too much time talking about our Rogue forgetting to pick up his level 6 utility power and typed it without thinking. As far as Zealous Sanction goes, I had seen a few threads discussing whether or not it was supposed to be all allies that hit that turn, or just the first one. The wording, "The first time any ally hits the target before the end of your next turn, that ally can spend a healing surge." vs something like Astral Seal's wording, "The next ally who hits it before the end of your next turn regains hit points equal to 2 + your Charisma modifier." made it a point of contention, so I just wanted to clarify that particular argument being a non-issue in our campaign. Thank you for the advice though! I'll have to look for the feat you mentioned - we only have 3 PC's generally, so I occasionally have to make a melee hit or two. I love the Raven's Talon suggestion too, both for the flavor and for the usefulness! Much appreciated.

Tegu8788
2014-07-05, 06:33 PM
Even if you have to make a melee attack every now and again, a Str-based attack with your low Str score means you will almost always miss, not trigger the effect, and essentially waste a turn. There are several WIS-based melee attacks, but your best bet is to get a power with the keyword Close. It won't trigger an OA, and may let you target an additional bad guy. Still melee range, but not a melee attack.

GPuzzle
2014-07-05, 07:30 PM
*cough*bracersofmentalmight*cough*

Kimera757
2014-07-05, 07:55 PM
The Martial Training feat lets you use Wisdom to hit, and half for damage, but only on basic attacks.

MeeposFire
2014-07-17, 11:42 PM
There is a melee basic attack type cleric at will (sonjourns hammer or something similar) but that would require getting rid of one of your powers. Then again there is a sort of overlap in your powers already (THP is not quite the same as healing but it is close) so if you are looking for a melee power to keep you viable in case somebody gets close that would be an option.

charcoalninja
2014-07-18, 12:34 PM
Personally I would retrain Healing Strike for Sunburst. With your strength score you aren't going to be hitting with it very often. Sun burst gives you a Wisdom based melee attack that hit or miss gives you and everyone w/in burst 5, 5 temp hp and a saving throw. You have a lot of abilities to give surges but not that many for condition removal. Preventing damage is just as good as healing it after the fact.

For your level 7 power: Go with Zealous Sanction anyway as even with your DMs nerf its still a crazy good power.

For later on in your game I recommend the Daily Moment of Glory. Resist 5 all is a significant boost to survivability for the whole party even at higher levels and it's easily maintained the entire fight. Moment of Glory + Astral Seal spam is a fantastic way to make your defenders invincible.

Ghost49X
2014-07-25, 08:58 PM
For your item you should think about upgrading your neck slot item as it will raise your non-AC defenses.