PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A (By the RAW) II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-09, 02:44 AM
A. 380 addendum

There is a 30 % chance that the wand itself gives some clue about its function.

Special Qualities: Roll d%. A 01–30 result indicates that something (a design, inscription, or the like) provides some clue to the wand’s function, and 31–100 indicates no special qualities.

The RAW is not specific about what this exactly entails, so it is really up to the DM to decide.

Assuming there is a magical inscription you could call for a spellcraft check to determine its meaning and thereby the function of the wand (DC 19 in connection with read magic, possibly).

Alveanerle
2007-05-09, 06:24 AM
Q. 381a

Some cleric domains, e.g. Earth domain, grant special "turning" power versus non-undeads. Do these "turn something else" attempts decrease the counter of normal turn undeads a cleric can use?

In other words, if a cleric of Chauntea with Earth domain and charisma bonus of +3 tries in vain to turn a huge air elemental 6 times in row, can he later on attempt to turn a passing ghost?

dauphinous
2007-05-09, 06:27 AM
Q 382

I seem to recall a feat somewhere that gives bonuses when you fight with a one-handed weapon but no shield. Does anyone know what it's called and/or where I can find it?

A. 381a

Totally separate.

Alveanerle
2007-05-09, 07:10 AM
Big thanks for swift responses. :-D

And here's the next one:

Q. 383

If a swarm subtype creature occupies same tile as a medium sized one, say a swarm of tiny bugs crawls up the party mage, how to treat it if someone tries to hit the swarm with a melee weapon? Should it be resolved like hitting the grippled foe?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-09, 07:15 AM
A. 383

They are not technically grappling, so there is no chance of hitting the mage.

Also note that many swarms are immune to weapon damage.

Asmodeus
2007-05-09, 07:21 AM
A 382

I'm not sure if this is the answer you are thinking of but if you use both of your hands to wield a one-handed weapon, you add Strength and a Half to damage. No feat is required for this bonus.

Alveanerle
2007-05-09, 07:28 AM
A. 383

They are not technically grappling, so there is no chance of hitting the mage.

Also note that many swarms are immune to weapon damage.

What if it is a swarm of non-flying creatures? Say a swarm of ants, covering said poor mage with even 2-ant layer of biting filth.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-09, 07:44 AM
What if it is a swarm of non-flying creatures? Say a swarm of ants, covering said poor mage with even 2-ant layer of biting filth.

Does not make a difference RAW.

Maybe there is enough ants on the ground to damage or maybe you use the weapon to remove them.

But that is probably why Swarms of creatures that small are typically immune to weapon damage.

Asmodeus
2007-05-09, 07:53 AM
A 383
Part Deux

Same result for flying or non-flying creatures. No Grappling is occuring.

If you attack a swarm with a melee weapon(say, a torch), and you target the square that your ally is in, you are assumed to hit the part of the square that your ally is not in. The swarm is covering the entire 5-ft square, your ally is not. That leaves plenty of space to hit the swarm without hitting your friend. In the torch example, you still take the penalty for an improvised weapon of course.

Douglas
2007-05-10, 02:34 AM
A382
The feat you're thinking of is Einhander from PHBII.

Zherog
2007-05-10, 09:39 AM
A 382, more info

The duelist prestige class also comes to mind. Most of the abilities only require no shield, so you can duel wield just fine. However, the Precise Strike ability specifically requires your off-hand be empty.

Rejakor
2007-05-10, 10:10 AM
A 382 (Addendum to note)

You can find Einhander [in the PHBII] :smallcool: [Please don't link to that or other websites offering copyrighted materials in violation of those rights. Thanks.]

Alveanerle
2007-05-10, 02:06 PM
Q. 383

When shooting into grapple, or hitting grappling creature with melee weapon, can you hit any of opponents? If so, can one sacrifice some attack bonus or time (full round vs standard action) to hit the right grappler?

Fax Celestis
2007-05-10, 02:37 PM
Q384a What happens if you flat-foot a creature with a Dexterity bonus of 0 or less?

Q384b Does dealing Dexterity to a creature count as "denial of Dexterity bonus" for the purposes of obtaining Sneak Attack?

Winged One
2007-05-10, 02:40 PM
A384a
Nothing happens to their Armor Class, unless they have dodge bonuses, which are also denied in situations that deny a character's Dexterity bonus to Armor Class. The character still becomes vulnerable to effects such as Sneak Attack, Sudden Strike, and Cloaked Casting.
A384b
No.

RMS Oceanic
2007-05-10, 02:54 PM
Q435

Do enhancement bonuses to shields and armour improve the shield/armour bonus, or are they just enhancement bonuses that stack?

Specific example: If I have a +2 heavy steel shield with shield specialization (+1 Shield AC) and shield ward (add shield AC to touch attacks and other bonus), would I add +3 or +5 to my touch AC?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-10, 03:02 PM
Q. 383

When shooting into grapple, or hitting grappling creature with melee weapon, can you hit any of opponents? If so, can one sacrifice some attack bonus or time (full round vs standard action) to hit the right grappler?

A. 383

With a melee weapon you are attacking the one you are aiming at with certainty.

With ranged attacks there is an equal chance of hitting anyone involved in the grapple and there is no standard counter measures you can take to mitigate this risk.

Jasdoif
2007-05-10, 03:05 PM
A435

The FAQ addresses this, although indirectly. To sum up, the enhancement bonus on armor or shields is treated as a bonus to the armor or shield bonus, rather then as a direct bonus to AC. (This is what allows enhancement bonus on armor to stack with enhancement bonus on shields.)

In your example, you would get the +5 to your touch AC.

I have a bard in my game who has a bit of money to spend. She buys a set of bracers of armor +3 and a suit of +3 leather armor. If the bard wears both at the same time, the armor bonus from the bracers (+3) overrides the armor bonus from the leather armor (+1). Our question is, does the +3 enhancement bonus from the armor still get applied for a total of +6, is it subsumed by the magic of the bracers, or is it just ignored completely? Since the enhancement bonus and armor bonus are different types of bonuses, the bard thinks her total Armor Class bonus should be +6.

The magic leather armor’s +3 enhancement bonus applies to make the armor’s armor bonus bigger (+4 in this case). The example character uses only the larger armor bonus (+4) when wearing both the armor and the bracers.

The overlapping +3 bonus from the bracers is still there, however. (It is just irrelevant most of the time.) If something bypasses the +4 bonus from the magic armor, the bracers might still prove effective. For example, an incorporeal touch attack bypasses the whole armor bonus from the magic armor. Since the bracers provide a force effect, they protect the bard against the incorporeal touch attack. The example character still has a +3 armor bonus against the incorporeal touch attack.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-10, 03:08 PM
Q435

Do enhancement bonuses to shields and armour improve the shield/armour bonus, or are they just enhancement bonuses that stack?

Specific example: If I have a +2 heavy steel shield with shield specialization (+1 Shield AC) and shield ward (add shield AC to touch attacks and other bonus), would I add +3 or +5 to my touch AC?

A. 385 NOT 435

They improve the shield/armor.

Your example would grant a +5 bonus.

EDIT:
That's it Ninja Jasdoif!
No more popcorn for you!!!!!!111oneeleven :smalltongue:

brian c
2007-05-10, 03:12 PM
A. 485 NOT 435

They improve the shield/armor.

Your example would grant a +5 bonus.

EDIT:
That's it Ninja Jasdoif!
No more popcorn for you!!!!!!111oneeleven :smalltongue:

385, actually.

Also, to Fax, I think that strictly by the RAW, Dexterity damage is "denial of dexterity bonus", but no sane DM is going to let anyone get away with that. Sometimes the rules aren't 100% clear about everything because they assume common sense and don't explicitly say it.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-10, 03:13 PM
385, guys, not 485.

Winged One
2007-05-10, 03:18 PM
That was actually my bad. I don't know what I was thinking when I originally numbered my answer to Fax's question, but it's fixed now. Also:
A384b exception
If a character sustains enough Dexterity damage to reduce their Dexterity score to 0, they are paralyzed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#paralyzed), which results in helplessness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#helpless), which denies the character their Dexterity bonus.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-10, 03:19 PM
Also, to Fax, I think that strictly by the RAW, Dexterity damage is "denial of dexterity bonus"...
Not in the least! You still have your Dexterity bonus, it just changes.

Jasdoif
2007-05-10, 03:23 PM
EDIT:
That's it Ninja Jasdoif!
No more popcorn for you!!!!!!111oneeleven :smalltongue:I get the impression you're more Popcorn Tyrant then Eye Tyrant :smalltongue::smalltongue:

Q386

Can a manifested ghost use touch spells on incorporeal creatures, such as itself?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-10, 03:34 PM
A 386

A manifested ghost should have no problem using its touch spells on itself. It is on both the Material and Ethereal planes.

As for other incorporeal creatures...

If the incorporeal creature is on the Ethereal Plane, it would work the same as that particular touch spell being cast normally upon an incorporeal creature by another incorporeal creature. (( I think? ))

If the incorporeal creature is on the Material Plane, it would be protected from the ghost's touch spells, as any other creature on the Material Plane would be.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-10, 03:36 PM
A. 386 Correction

Yes, it works just fine on other incorporeal creatures (no miss chance), including itself of course.

Incorporeal Subtype: An incorporeal creature has no physical body. It can be harmed only by other incorporeal creatures...

A Ghost could even grapple another incorporeal creature.

I get the impression you're more Popcorn Tyrant then Eye Tyrant :smalltongue::smalltongue:

All your Popcorns are belong to me! :smalltongue:

Vazzaroth
2007-05-10, 11:44 PM
Q. 387

Do you add double str. bonus on attack rolls with a two handed weapon, or just 1x? Same with the 1/2 rule for off-hands.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-10, 11:54 PM
Q. 387

Do you add double str. bonus on attack rolls with a two handed weapon, or just 1x? Same with the 1/2 rule for off-hands.

Those modifiers apply only to damage rolls, not attack.

Douglas
2007-05-10, 11:56 PM
A. 383
With ranged attacks there is an equal chance of hitting anyone involved in the grapple and there is no standard counter measures you can take to mitigate this risk.
The Improved Precise Shot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#improvedPreciseShot) feat removes the chance to hit the wrong target.

Vazzaroth
2007-05-11, 12:00 AM
Those modifiers apply only to damage rolls, not attack.

:smallfrown: Yet another modifier rule my table-top group has over looked... Thank you.

Jasdoif
2007-05-11, 02:10 AM
Q388

Does Practiced Spellcaster improve your caster level by 4 directly, or as though you had 4 more levels in the class (up to a limit of your HD)?

A think an example would help here. A 9th-level paladin normally has a caster level of 4th, since a paladin's caster level is half their class level. Would such a paladin taking Practiced Spellcaster increase their caster level to 8, or 6? Come to think of it, would a single-class paladin even be able benefit from the feat?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-11, 02:45 AM
A. 388

The feat increases CL.
Otherwise it should have said "you are treated as having 4 additional levels in the spellcasting class you chose for the purpose of determining caster level".

The description does not seem to prohibit a single class caster from benefiting, if possible.

rawling
2007-05-11, 08:33 AM
Q389: Is it possible to delay choosing a feat by one or more levels?

Yeah, I built a high-level character, but starting at first I only have one feat I meet the prerequisites for, and I need to choose two...:smallfrown:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-11, 08:35 AM
A. 389

No, I am afraid not.

Alveanerle
2007-05-11, 08:37 AM
Q389: Is it possible to delay choosing a feat by one or more levels?

Yeah, I built a high-level character, but starting at first I only have one feat I meet the prerequisites for, and I need to choose two...:smallfrown:

A. 389 Nay nay for delaying taking feats & skills.

Oops, ninja'd :smallfrown:

Ulzgoroth
2007-05-11, 10:30 AM
Q. 390
Do you get your strength bonus to damage when using rocks enhanced by Magic Stone?

Fax Celestis
2007-05-11, 10:35 AM
A390 As thrown weapons, yes.

crazedloon
2007-05-11, 12:44 PM
Q. 391

hopefuly this is simple enough for this thread....

How exactly does the rune chant for a runecaster (player's guide to Faerun p69) work. Do you use a spell slot?

Q 392

What sort of action is it to touch a rune?

Ivius
2007-05-11, 04:34 PM
Q393: Does the Weapon Aptitude class feature of the Warblade apply to Exotic Weapon Proficiency?

EDIT: Wow, there are WAY too many capital letters in that sentence.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-11, 04:40 PM
A393 It applies to any feat that requires you to select a weapon, so yes.

Stephen_E
2007-05-12, 03:26 AM
Q394
The Flame Blade spell PHBgive you a imaterial blade of flame that is treated as a Scimitar. It only requires a melee touch attack to hit, but doesn't do strength damage. Can you get bonus damage from Power Attack. i.e. Does Power Attack count as "Strength" damage.

Thanks
Stephen

RMS Oceanic
2007-05-12, 05:45 AM
Q395
Can an item have any number of magic abilities as long as:
1. It has at least a +1 enchancement bonus.
2. The total equivalent enhancement bonus doesn't exceed +10, or is epic?

e.g. Is it legal to have a +1 keen (+1) flaming (+1) holy (+2) vorpal (+5) longsword, as its equivalent enhancement bonus is +10?

squishycube
2007-05-12, 06:17 AM
A394
I'm going to say no, but on a mere technicality: Power attack requires you to make a melee attack roll, with Flame Blade you make a melee touch attack roll.
If you disregard that, there's the point that the blade is immaterial. The damage seems to come from the blade's fire being near a creature. I find it hard to imagine how you could power attack with something immaterial.

Those two points aside, it's mostly the fluff that makes it seem weird, the crunch isn't geared towards 'hit hard and inaccurate' per se.

A395

In addition to an enhancement bonus, weapons may have special abilities. Special abilities count as additional bonuses for determining the market value of the item, but do not modify attack or damage bonuses (except where specifically noted). A single weapon cannot have a modified bonus (enhancement bonus plus special ability bonus equivalents) higher than +10. A weapon with a special ability must have at least a +1 enhancement bonus.

This seems to indicate that the answer is 'yes'.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-12, 07:56 AM
Q. 391

hopefuly this is simple enough for this thread....

How exactly does the rune chant for a runecaster (player's guide to Faerun p69) work. Do you use a spell slot?

A. 391

Rune Chant is applied when casting, not before.
When casting the spell you want to add Rune Chant to you use the extra somatic component, the extra time and the spell is cast at the increased level.

Q 392

What sort of action is it to touch a rune?

A. 392

Depends on the situation... often it is part of another action or a free action.

Curmudgeon
2007-05-12, 10:09 AM
A. 395

Yes, as long as the total enhancement cost is also no more than the 200,000 gp Epic item limit. Since the Magic Item Compendium there are now many enhancements that have a fixed cost. (The cost of the base masterwork weapon isn't included.)

UserClone
2007-05-12, 12:30 PM
I am trying to wrap my head around a something regarding the War Weaver's(Heroes of Battle) Quiescent Weaving ability. There does not seem to be a limit to the number of times per day it can be used, because it reads: "Beginning at 2nd level, you can weave a single spell into your eldritch tapestry for later use. For each level you gain beyond 2nd, you can store one additional spell as a quiescent weaving in your eldritch tapestry...As a move action, you can release all the spells in your quiescent weaving.
However, "An eldritch tapestry lasts for 24 hours or until you weave a new one."
Does this mean, RAW, that you can use your Quiescent Weaving as many times per day as you have legal spells, assuming the party will wait the 10 minutes for you to weave a new tapestry in between battles?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-12, 12:40 PM
I am trying to wrap my head around a something regarding the War Weaver's(Heroes of Battle) Quiescent Weaving ability. There does not seem to be a limit to the number of times per day it can be used, because it reads: "Beginning at 2nd level, you can weave a single spell into your eldritch tapestry for later use. For each level you gain beyond 2nd, you can store one additional spell as a quiescent weaving in your eldritch tapestry...As a move action, you can release all the spells in your quiescent weaving.
However, "An eldritch tapestry lasts for 24 hours or until you weave a new one."
Does this mean, RAW, that you can use your Quiescent Weaving as many times per day as you have legal spells, assuming the party will wait the 10 minutes for you to weave a new tapestry in between battles?

A. 396

Yes. Weave away.

UserClone
2007-05-12, 12:50 PM
wOOt.
Q397
Could one cast a spell from a scroll as a Quiescent Weaving?
More to the point, could one cast scroll spells into an Eldritch tapestry at all?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-12, 02:13 PM
A. 397

Yes, but there are some issues if the spell includes an expensive material component or requires expenditure of xp-point.
These costs should also be paid if using a scroll in your weave.

Otherwise. weave away.

Jasdoif
2007-05-12, 03:01 PM
Q398

Are the extra turning attempts from nightsticks (Libris Mortis) exempt from the usual restriction that magical effects from the same source don't stack? If so, why?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-12, 03:19 PM
A. 398

Nothing in their description indicates that these rods should be exempt.

Jimp
2007-05-12, 04:41 PM
Q. 399
Since a spellcaster with a familiar gains Alertness whenever the familiar is within 5ft, does this qualify him for any prestige class or feat with Alertness as a requirement?
Q. 399 A
If yes, if the familiar moves out of range will the spellcaster loose the abilities granted by the class or feat until the familiar returns within 5ft?

Jasdoif
2007-05-12, 04:47 PM
A399

Yes, although I'm not aware of any such feats/PrCs off the top of my head.

If you no longer meet the prereqs for a feat, you lose the benefit of the feat. The FAQ states that this applies to PrCs as well; although debate about this abounds since certain PrCs have abilities that violate their own prereqs.

Lolth
2007-05-12, 11:05 PM
Q400

The Feat "Telling Blow" (PhB2) states that Sneak Attack damage is applied on a Critical Hit.

If this Critical would already have inflicted Sneak Attack damage (Flat-Footed, Flanking, etc.) does this mean the Sneak Attack damage is applied twice?

Jasdoif
2007-05-12, 11:48 PM
A400

Giving the wording, I would say not. It allows you to deal your bonus damage on critical hits; if you're already getting that damage you won't get any further benefit.

Skjaldbakka
2007-05-13, 02:39 AM
Q401

Ok, so this is not exactly a RAW question, but it is close enough I think. I have a DM that is somewhat new, and that has critical hits wrong. He is of the opinion that only the base damage die is multiplied on a crit, and I am looking for a link to point him to that will clear this up.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-13, 02:46 AM
A. 401

Here is the relevant section. They can be found in the beginning of the weapons section of the PHB and in the Combat section under actions.

I bolded the interesting parts.
The exception includes extra damage dice.

Critical: The entry in this column notes how the weapon is used with the rules for critical hits. When your character scores a critical hit, roll the damage two, three, or four times, as indicated by its critical multiplier (using all applicable modifiers on each roll), and add all the results together.

Exception: Extra damage over and above a weapon’s normal damage is not multiplied when you score a critical hit.

Critical Hits: ...

A critical hit means that you roll your damage more than once, with all your usual bonuses, and add the rolls together. Unless otherwise specified, the threat range for a critical hit on an attack roll is 20, and the multiplier is x2.

Exception: Extra damage over and above a weapon’s normal damage is not multiplied when you score a critical hit.

Curmudgeon
2007-05-13, 05:43 AM
Q398

Are the extra turning attempts from nightsticks (Libris Mortis) exempt from the usual restriction that magical effects from the same source don't stack? If so, why?

A. 398

There is no problem whatsoever stacking Nightsticks. You're overstating the actual RAW regarding stacking limitations. Here's the basic rule:
Stacking

In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack (combine for a cumulative effect) if they come from different sources and have different types (or no type at all), but do not stack if they have the same type or come from the same source (such as the same spell cast twice in succession). If the modifiers to a particular roll do not stack, only the best bonus and worst penalty applies. Dodge bonuses and circumstance bonuses however, do stack with one another unless otherwise specified.
The number of turn attempts available daily isn't a modifier to a check. Here's the complete list of modifier types:
Ability Modifier
Alchemical Bonus
Armor Bonus
Circumstance Modifier
Competence Modifier
Deflection Bonus
Dodge Bonus
Enhancement Bonus
Insight Bonus
Luck Modifier
Morale Modifier
Natural Armor Bonus
Profane Modifier
Resistance Bonus
Sacred Modifier
Shield Bonus
Size Modifier
There are additional rules regarding stacking spells or spell-like effects, but those have nothing to do with turning attempts.

- - - -

A. 400

No, you never add sneak attack damage more than once per hit.

Telling Blow just adds "critical hit" to the list of conditions that qualify you to add sneak attack damage. You don't add double sneak attack damage if you're flanking a flat-footed opponent, so you don't add double or triple sneak attack damage if you make a critical hit against a flat-footed opponent whom you also flank.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-13, 07:16 AM
A. 398

There is no problem whatsoever stacking Nightsticks. You're overstating the actual RAW regarding stacking limitations.

The number of turn attempts available daily isn't a modifier to a check.

There are additional rules regarding stacking spells or spell-like effects, but those have nothing to do with turning attempts.

A. 398 Continued

What makes you think that the general rules for stacking should not apply to turning/rebuking?

Generally unnamed effects stack, but not if they are from the same source.

Both the Extra Turning feat and the Nightstick grant extra turning/rebuking attempts per day.

Both effects are unnamed and thus stack with each other.

Two Nightsticks would be the same unnamed effect from the same source and thus would not stack.

Extra Turning stacks with itself, but this is noted as an exception.
However, since the Nightstick is based on Extra Turning this might actually have been the best argument for allowing additional Nightsticks to stack.

Curmudgeon
2007-05-13, 08:12 AM
A. 398 Continued

What makes you think that the general rules for stacking should not apply to turning/rebuking?

Because the rules specify the extent of the stacking prohibitions, specifically "modifiers to a given check or roll". Nightsticks modify a character's number of turning attempts (a quantity which is never part of a check or roll), not the actual turn/rebuke checks themselves. Modifiers to the number of turn attempts isn't one of those things that the stacking rules limits. I addressed this, in detail (listing all the modifiers covered by the basic stacking rule), in my original reply.

This is supposed to be a RAW forum, not one where we assume extensions past what the rules actually specify. If I've overlooked something, please point out my error.

ski309
2007-05-13, 08:39 AM
Q402

What monstrous race(s) gives the highest Wisdom bonus, and what book is it in?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-13, 08:43 AM
Because the rules specify the extent of the stacking prohibitions, specifically "modifiers to a given check or roll". ...

This is supposed to be a RAW forum, not one where we assume extensions past what the rules actually specify. If I've overlooked something, please point out my error.

I was referring to the rules for combining magical effects, which you did not address in your first post, other than to say that they did not apply.
Those rules are not limited to spells, but cover other effects as well.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-13, 08:57 AM
Q402

What monstrous race(s) gives the highest Wisdom bonus, and what book is it in?

A. 402

This is just a guess....

The Three-Headed Sirrush from the Epic Level Handbook has +32 to Wisdom.

The larger Epic dragons easily count their ability increases in the 50+ range.

Citizen Joe
2007-05-13, 09:06 AM
I've seen many character builds out there that have all sorts of multiclassing going on so my question is:
Q403
What's an easy way to remember what the experience penalties are for multiclassing, taking preferred class into consideration?

------------------------
I've also been toying with 'buying levels' with experience rather than just automatically advancing. So you'd have a stockpile of xp, then spend current ECL X 1000 xp to get your next level. This isn't RAW but...
Q404
What would be the conflicts and possible abuse of this system?

Curmudgeon
2007-05-13, 09:13 AM
I was referring to the rules for combining magical effects, which you did not address in your first post, other than to say that they did not apply.
Those rules are not limited to spells, but cover other effects as well. The basic argument still stands, because the limitations there are similar.
Bonus Types

Usually, a bonus has a type that indicates how the spell grants the bonus. The important aspect of bonus types is that two bonuses of the same type don’t generally stack. With the exception of dodge bonuses, most circumstance bonuses, and racial bonuses, only the better bonus works (see Combining Magical Effects, below). The same principle applies to penalties—a character taking two or more penalties of the same type applies only the worst one.

Stacking Effects

Spells that provide bonuses or penalties on attack rolls, damage rolls, saving throws, and other attributes usually do not stack with themselves. More generally, two bonuses of the same type don’t stack even if they come from different spells (or from effects other than spells; see Bonus Types, above). You'll see that in the spell stacking rules they first refer to bonus types, which are detailed in the basic stacking rules. "Bonus to Turn Attempts" isn't on that list (i.e., the bonus is untyped and thus not limited), so the spell stacking rules do not apply. Furthermore, the number of turn attempts doesn't affect "attack rolls, damage rolls, saving throws, or other attributes" -- the characteristics that the spell stacking rules apply to.

Whether you're referring to the basic stacking rules or the spell stacking rules, there is no RAW limitation to effects that modify a character's number of turn/rebuke attempts. An effect that modified the actual turn/rebuke checks themselves would, of course, fall under the stacking rules.

Curmudgeon
2007-05-13, 09:24 AM
Q403
What's an easy way to remember what the experience penalties are for multiclassing, taking preferred class into consideration?
A. 403

Starting with the list of all your classes with their levels, cross out
all prestige classes
your favored class
From the list that's left, look at all the levels. Do any of them differ from any other level by 2 or more? If so, you've got an XP penalty. If they're all the same, or no more than 1 different, no XP penalty.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-13, 09:34 AM
I've seen many character builds out there that have all sorts of multiclassing going on so my question is:
Q403

A. 403

First ignore Prestige Classes and the Favored class.

Then count how many classes there are more than a level lower than the class in which you have the highest level (still ignoring Prestige and favored class).

Multiply this number by the experience penalty percentage as given on page 60 of the PHB.

The PHB also have a couple of examples.

------------------------
I've also been toying with 'buying levels' with experience rather than just automatically advancing. So you'd have a stockpile of xp, then spend current ECL X 1000 xp to get your next level. This isn't RAW but...
Q404
What would be the conflicts and possible abuse of this system?

A. 404

From the top of my sphere:

-Problems could arise if the party becomes to far from each other in level as a result of this.
-Party members could speculate in advancing later than the rest of the party to gain more experience points faster (this could be a high risk strategy depending on setup).
-WBL level will be harder to follow.

This really belongs in Homebrew.

Citizen Joe
2007-05-13, 09:55 AM
OK so by RAW...
Q405
Gnome Fighter 3, Wizard 1, Cleric 1, Rogue 1, Sorcerer 1, Monk 1 could never advance again, since he'd have a 100% penalty to experience? Not that I'd ever do something so foolhardy.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-13, 10:00 AM
A. 405

Exactly.

Citizen Joe
2007-05-13, 10:22 AM
OK
Q406
The Q405 gnome now dies and gets raised. He loses a level... can he pick the class to lose the level from, and if he picks fighter would his experience penalty drop to 0?

Amiria
2007-05-13, 10:38 AM
Q407

Some ToB maneuvers (i.e. Death From Above or Mithral Tornado) say that you must be adjacent to the target creature(s) (victims). Does this mean that I can't use a reach weapon from 10 or more feet for those manuevers ?

So, does 'adjacent' mean 'in a neighboring square' or 'within melee reach' ?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-13, 10:55 AM
A. 406

Neither Raise Dead or the entry for Level Loss addresses what happens to multiclass characters who lose a level.

It does seem reasonable to assume taht it is the latest level, but it is never stated explicitly.

If your example Gnome has its fighter level reduced all multiclass penalties would disappear.

Citizen Joe
2007-05-13, 11:01 AM
ok last one, I promise
Q408
The Q405 gnome, after losing the level then gains a level in ranger and finally ups his fighter level again. At this point he's got a -120% penalty to experience. He's now technically getting negative experience from adventuring... How is that handled?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-13, 11:02 AM
A. 407

Adjacent does not have any special D&D definition that changes it to 'within melee reach', so I am afraid we have to follow the stricter 'neighboring square' definition.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-13, 11:17 AM
A. 408

It is not. :smalltongue:

A 120 % penalty is actually better than a 100 % penalty, since it has the potential to eliminate the experience penalty altogether.

Conclusion: The cure to multiclass madness is either Death, Energy Drain or negative experience points gain.

If that is the solution, maybe it is time to draw up a new character....

Zherog
2007-05-13, 11:43 AM
A 406, more detail

This one's covered in the FAQ, actually.

When a character dies and comes back to life a level lower, are there any guidelines as to which level he must lose? Does it have to be the last level he gained? When he gains a level again later, can he choose a different class than he did originally? What about a 1st-level character (who instead loses a point of Constitution)? Can he begin with a new class completely?

The rules are silent on this issue, but it seems most logical if the character loses the class level he gained most recently. The same is true of any feats, skill ranks, or ability score adjustments gained due to the now-lost level. The character is under no obligation to make the same selection(s) when he next gains a level with XP.

A character who regains a lost level from restoration or a similar effect must regain the same class level (and other abilities) that he lost. In other words, you can’t use level drain and restoration to rebuild your character.

A 1st-level character doesn’t lose a class level, so he can’t change his existing class level.

Jasdoif
2007-05-13, 12:33 PM
Furthermore, the number of turn attempts doesn't affect "attack rolls, damage rolls, saving throws, or other attributes" -- the characteristics that the spell stacking rules apply to.As a numeric quality of a character, particularly one influenced by a character's ability modifier, I would say "turns per day" most definitely is an attribute.

Either way, this brings to mind a very similar question....

Q409

Does a character wearing two rings of wizardry III end up with triple the base 3nd-level arcane spell slots?

Penguinizer
2007-05-13, 12:35 PM
Q410: Can a character coat a platemail in oil and set it on fire without taking damage?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-13, 12:42 PM
A. 410

Not if the character plans on wearing the plate at the same time or does not have protection from fire. :smallamused:

Penguinizer
2007-05-13, 12:44 PM
Oh well. I got Vigor. Worth it since angry orcs can't catch you if you're on fire.

411: Does a creature take damage when grappling a creature thats on fire?

NEO|Phyte
2007-05-13, 01:47 PM
Q412

What is the duration of the Thri-Kreen's poison's paralysis?

Jasdoif
2007-05-13, 01:56 PM
A412

The Thri-Kreen monster entry in the XPH gives a paralysis duration of 2d6 minutes.

Winged One
2007-05-13, 02:48 PM
Q413
When creating a wizard of greater than 1st level who does not own a Boccob's blessed book, are spells beyond those gained automaticly at levelup paid for at the cost of a scroll of that spell, or at that cost in addition to the 100 gp required to scribe the spell into a spellbook?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-13, 02:57 PM
A. 413

The standard fee is spell level x 50 gp + 100 gp per page.

Or 150 gp x spell level for 1st-9th level spells.

Cheaper than paying for scrolls and then scribing them.

In most cases, wizards charge a fee for the privilege of copying spells from their spellbooks. This fee is usually equal to the spell’s level x 50 gp.

Materials and Costs: Materials for writing the spell cost 100 gp per page.

Winged One
2007-05-13, 03:05 PM
Thank you. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, though, but:
A413 contradiction
According to your source, it's actually cheaper to buy scrolls and scribe them in the case of 1st level spells(scrolls of them cost 25 gp+costly material or focus, and are scribed for 100 gp, or 125 gp, while the standard copy fee is 50 gp).

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-13, 03:08 PM
Thank you. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, though, but:
A413 contradiction
According to your source, it's actually cheaper to buy scrolls and scribe them in the case of 1st level spells(scrolls of them cost 25 gp+costly material or focus, and are scribed for 100 gp, or 125 gp, while the standard copy fee is 50 gp).

Yes, that is correct in most cases.

I was actually about to edit my previous post to point that out. :smallsmile:

Alveanerle
2007-05-14, 03:55 AM
Q. 414A
Is it possible to have weapon focus in touch/ray spells?
Q. 414B
If so, are touch spells treated as one, or should they be split into separate weapon focus (ranged touch) and weapon focus (melee touch)?

Sir_Rosh
2007-05-14, 04:21 AM
Q. 414A
Is it possible to have weapon focus in touch/ray spells?
Q. 414B
If so, are touch spells treated as one, or should they be split into separate weapon focus (ranged touch) and weapon focus (melee touch)?

A. 414a
This is discussed in Complete Arcane. There are "weapon-like spells" which can have weapon specific feats applied to them including Weapon Focus, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot etc etc

a. 414b
They are seperate feats, Weapon Focus (Melee touch) and Weapon Focus (Ranged touch)

Sir_Rosh
2007-05-14, 04:30 AM
Q. 415

RAW says that you can take a 5 foot step as part of a standard action. This 5 foot step is in effect NOT a move action. The slow spell states that while effected you can only take a move action OR a standard action. Bearing this in mind:

a) Can you still take the 5 foot step and a standard action whilst effected by a slow effect?

b) Also, can you take free, immediate or swift actions whilst slowed?

edit: html was incorrect:smalleek:

Alveanerle
2007-05-14, 06:17 AM
Big big thx for all your help. Here's another one, i hope it's easy.

Q. 416A
Can one sneak attack with rays?
Q. 416B
If so: say a rogue1/sorc1 shooting a ray of frost at close range, can he add sneak attack damage to the ordinar 1d3 damage? If so is it cold damage?
Q. 416C
What about ability damaging rays? Do they also deal sneak attack damage? Is it ability damage?

Zherog
2007-05-14, 06:54 AM
A 416

Yes to all of those.

If the spell requires an attack roll, and does damage, then you can apply sneak attack to it.

For example, you can apply sneak attack to ray of frost - you must roll an attack roll, and the spell results in damage to the target.

You cannot apply sneak attack to magic missile, fireball, or ray of enfeeblement though. The first two do not require an attack roll; the last inflicts a penalty, rather than damage.

Alveanerle
2007-05-14, 07:08 AM
A 416

Yes to all of those.

If the spell requires an attack roll, and does damage, then you can apply sneak attack to it.

For example, you can apply sneak attack to ray of frost - you must roll an attack roll, and the spell results in damage to the target.

You cannot apply sneak attack to magic missile, fireball, or ray of enfeeblement though. The first two do not require an attack roll; the last inflicts a penalty, rather than damage.

Hrm. And how to explain it? Rogue gets sneak attack ranged whenever his enemy is denied his DEX bonus. Touch attacks treat opponent as not having his armor, while adding his dex bonus, along with other bonuses, to the base of 10.

And, hopefuly, last one for some time:
Q. 417

Underwater condition can cause drowning. According to SRD, on the first round of drowning, one gets downed to 0Hp, on the other to -1, and on the third he dies. Now imagine that the drowning character, on his first round of drowning, performed an action that normally moves 0Hp characters into -1 (such as attacking). Would he die on his next round? Or would he just move from -1 to -2?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-14, 07:58 AM
A 415

a.) Yes. A 5-foot step falls into the "not an action" category. You are always entitled to one as long as you don't move any other way that round.

b.) The rules aren't particularly clear here. I'm not sure.

A 417

When you drop to 0 hp from drowning, you fall unconcious (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/wildernessAndEnvironment.html#drowning) rather than having the disabled condition that normally applies to dropping to 0 hp. You would be unable to take any action at all under such a situation

I'll let other people expand upon the ridiculous nature of the drowning and hp rules if they wish.

Zherog
2007-05-14, 08:47 AM
I'll let other people expand upon the ridiculous nature of the drowning and hp rules if they wish.

It's probably better if I don't. :smallwink:

Penguinizer
2007-05-14, 09:52 AM
You guys forgot 411 :P

Jasdoif
2007-05-14, 11:50 AM
Well I was hoping someone had a more concrete answer, but fine :smalltongue:

A411

I would have to say no. A creature that's caught on fire is not in the "burning oil, bonfires, and noninstantaneous magic fires" list of things that can catch creatures on fire; a balor's Flaming Body is a supernatural effect and thus doesn't make a fair comparison to a nonmagical effect, and even a fire elemental's Burn doesn't automatically deal damage through grappling (nor set people on fire automatically).

Given all that, I'd conclude that the non-focused, non-magical fire of being caught on fire simply isn't concentrated enough to deal damage to other creatures in a grapple, in normal conditions. The setup could easily lend itself to adjudication-for-dramatic-storytelling-purposes, though.

Penguinizer
2007-05-14, 11:51 AM
I meant it mainly for comedic purposes. Such as a character (mine) who the others are trying to catch lighting himself on fire and bullrushing through the door and running away.

Douglas
2007-05-14, 03:11 PM
A416C clarification
The extra sneak attack damage for spells that deal ability damage or energy drain is negative energy damage. These effects do qualify for "weaponlike" status as outlined in Complete Arcane, but sneak attack is always hit point damage; it cannot make a spell or effect inflict more ability damage or negative levels.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-14, 03:19 PM
Q 418

Can you use an Action Point in combination with a Take 10 attempt? An Action Point is meant to represent a surge of heroic effort, and Taking 10 is supposed to represent a normal amount of effort put into a skill check, to ensure a result that isn't great and isn't terrible.

A. 418

You can us an action point to increase your roll.
When you are taking 10 you are not rolling, so you cannot use an action point to increase the roll.

Droodle
2007-05-14, 03:40 PM
Q 419
When using the Manyshot feat, would the bonus to hit and damage from Arcane Strike be applied to all the arrows fired or just one one of them?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-14, 03:48 PM
A. 419

Arcane Strike does not add precision based damage, but as Jasdoif pointed out, it only works with melee weapons.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-14, 03:57 PM
Q420 Am I correct in the assumption that TWF works with thrown weapons?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-14, 03:58 PM
A. 420

Yes.

Jasdoif
2007-05-14, 04:08 PM
A420 reference

The SRD's section on two-weapon fighting mentions this.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#twoWeaponFighting

The same rules apply when you throw a weapon from each hand. Treat a dart or shuriken as a light weapon when used in this manner, and treat a bolas, javelin, net, or sling as a one-handed weapon.

kamoo
2007-05-14, 07:50 PM
Q.421

A . Can a blinded character make a reflex saving throw?
B. If he can, he have any penalty?

Jasdoif
2007-05-14, 08:04 PM
A421

A blinded character can make a Reflex save without penalty.

Blinded

The character cannot see. He takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class, loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any), moves at half speed, and takes a -4 penalty on Search checks and on most Strength- and Dexterity-based skill checks. All checks and activities that rely on vision (such as reading and Spot checks) automatically fail. All opponents are considered to have total concealment (50% miss chance) to the blinded character. Characters who remain blinded for a long time grow accustomed to these drawbacks and can overcome some of them. A reflex save is not a skill check, and total concealment doesn't affect reflex saves either.

Here's the FAQ about Reflex saves with conditions in general:

Exactly when can a character make a Reflex saving throw? The saving throw section on the Player’s Handbook says Reflex saves depend on a character’s ability to dodge out of the way. Does that mean you can’t make Reflex saves if you can’t move?

A character can attempt a Reflex save anytime she is subjected to an effect that allows a Reflex save. A Reflex save usually involves some dodging, but a Reflex save does not depend completely on a character’s ability to move around. It also can depend on luck, variations in the effect that makes the save necessary in the first place, and a host of other miraculous factors that keep heroic characters in the D&D game from meeting an untimely fate.

In most cases, you make Reflex saves normally, no matter how bad your circumstances are, but a few conditions interfere with Reflex saves:
If you’ve suffered Dexterity damage or Dexterity drain, you must use your current, lower Dexterity modifier for your Reflex saves.
If you’re cowering, you lose your Dexterity bonus (if any). The maximum Dexterity bonus you can have while cowering is +0, and that affects your Reflex saves accordingly.
If you’re dead, you become an object. Unattended objects can’t make saving throws.
If you’re entangled, your effective Dexterity score drops by –4, and you must use your lower Dexterity modifier for Reflex saves.
If you’re exhausted, your effective Strength and Dexterity scores drop by –6, and you must use your lower Dexterity modifier for Reflex saves.
If you’re fatigued, your effective Strength and Dexterity scores drop by –2, and you must use your lower Dexterity modifier for Reflex saves.
If you’re frightened or panicked, you have a –2 penalty on all saving throws, including Reflex saving throws.
If you’re helpless, your Dexterity score is effectively 0. You still can make Reflex saves, but your Dexterity modifier is –5. You’re helpless whenever you are paralyzed, unconscious, or asleep.

crazedloon
2007-05-14, 08:26 PM
Q.422

Sorry for another Runecaster question but I got to make sure :smallwink:

If a spell has a range/area how does the spell act when activated through a rune. Are you the target still?

Jasdoif
2007-05-14, 11:48 PM
A419 correction

Arcane Strike (unless it's been reprinted differently since Complete Warrior) only works with melee weapons, natural attacks and unarmed strikes. It does not work with ranged weapons, so you cannot use Manyshot with it.

Pauwel
2007-05-15, 12:37 AM
Q423:

Can you use the manoeuvres from Tome of Battle while polymorph'd, wild shape'd or otherwise transformed?

Alveanerle
2007-05-15, 02:39 AM
Q. 424
Could some good soul please briefly explain it to me just WHY rogues do get their sneak attack damage on touch/ranged touch attacks?

In the class description it says they can sneak attack if he's denied his dexterity bonus

No dex bonus = a hulking fighter in full plate armor stands there, surprised, and has no time to move out of the way of my attack, but i still need to pass through his platings.
Touch attack = the same fighter can try to move away out of the way of my incoming ray, but his armor is irrelevant - i can hit even the center of his breastplate and my Ray of Win would still affect him for -6d6 negative levels.

Or am i totally wrong somewhere?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-15, 02:39 AM
A. 423

As long as the form is physically and mentally capable of performing the maneuvers they can still be used.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-15, 02:45 AM
A. 424

This is not really a RAW question.
If you are fighting something heavy plated in melee you still need to get through the armor. This is not much different from using ranged attacks.

However, when you sneak attack with a level draining effect you do not add extra level drain as sneak attack, but extra negative energy damage.
The same is true for ability damage.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-15, 03:21 AM
A. 422

It does say that whoever or whatever triggers the rune becomes the target, so I would have to say yes.

Are you by any chance playing a Runecaster? :smalltongue:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-15, 03:23 AM
A419 correction

Arcane Strike (unless it's been reprinted differently since Complete Warrior) only works with melee weapons, natural attacks and unarmed strikes. It does not work with ranged weapons, so you cannot use Manyshot with it.

You are right (and I edited my initial post to reflect your correction).

Maybe that will teach me to actually look things up. :smallamused:

Alveanerle
2007-05-15, 03:38 AM
A. 424

This is not really a RAW question.
If you are fighting something heavy plated in melee you still need to get through the armor. This is not much different from using ranged attacks.

However, when you sneak attack with a level draining effect you do not add extra level drain as sneak attack, but extra negative energy damage.
The same is true for ability damage.

I am sorry, it seems i did not make my question clear enough. The question is WHY do rogues do get sneak attack on touch/ranged touch attack spells at all.

SRD
description of Rogue class Sneak Attack ability
The rogue’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target.

and

SRD
Touch Attacks
Some attacks disregard armor, including shields and natural armor. In these cases, the attacker makes a touch attack roll (either ranged or melee). When you are the target of a touch attack, your AC doesn’t include any armor bonus, shield bonus, or natural armor bonus. All other modifiers, such as your size modifier, Dexterity modifier, and deflection bonus (if any) apply normally.

equals

target retains dex bonus when being attacked by ranged/melle touch attacks.

So why does everyone say that rogue automaticly gets sneak attack damage when hitting his foes with ranged touch spells (say a wand of scorching ray)?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-15, 03:53 AM
A. 424 Continued.

I am sorry, I thought you were interested in the fluff reason.

If everyone is saying that a rogue automatically gets sneak attack damage on touch attacks then everyone is wrong.

All the normal limitations and prerequisites apply for touch attacks also.

The target would still have to be denied its dexterity bonus to AC and within 30 feet for sneak attack to work, even with touch attacks.

squishycube
2007-05-15, 04:00 AM
A424Cont
You get to add sneak damage not only when you flank, but also whenever your target loses its dexterity bonus.
Dexterity bonus is lost for when: (Not exhaustive)
- The target can't see you (You are invisible, or succeeded at your hide check)
- The target is flat-footed (has not acted in this combat yet)
- The target is grappling (Monk-rogue is very cool for this)
- You have Feinted the target

Q425
I know sneak attack can do all sorts of things which aren't specifically in the class description, like sneak attack on rays. It also has certain limitations not really mentioned in the description, like limitations to what type the extra damage can be.
Can someone list for me all the sources where to get this information?
I am specifically interested in where it says that sneak damage on rays can never be negative levels, energy drain etc. and instead becomes negative energy.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-15, 04:04 AM
A 425

The rules for sneak attacking with spells are described in detail in Complete Arcane page 85-86.

Alveanerle
2007-05-15, 04:04 AM
A. 424 Continued.

I am sorry, I thought you were interested in the fluff reason.

If everyone is saying that a rogue automatically gets sneak attack damage on touch attacks then everyone is wrong.

All the normal limitations and prerequisites apply for touch attacks also.

The target would still have to be denied its dexterity bonus to AC and within 30 feet for sneak attack to work, even with touch attacks.

Thank You of Wise One, for You have saved my sanity.
It seems i thought everyone suggest that so i was reading all comments in a way that was proving my believes, which were contrary to my common sense and thus the situation was causing a slightly schisophrenic atmosphere. I started to believe that my other self is winning again.

P.S. hug me twice, we're schisophrenics

Alveanerle
2007-05-15, 04:08 AM
A424Cont
You get to add sneak damage not only when you flank, but also whenever your target loses its dexterity bonus.
Dexterity bonus is lost for when: (Not exhaustive)
- The target is grappling (Monk-rogue is very cool for this)

Q. 426
Umm... don't you retain your dex bonus in grapple versus the one you're grappling? As opposed to everyone else, that is.

Alveanerle
2007-05-15, 04:09 AM
A. 426

self-served response :D

No Dexterity Bonus
You lose your Dexterity bonus to AC (if you have one) against opponents you aren’t grappling. (You can still use it against opponents you are grappling.)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-15, 04:10 AM
A. 426

Yes you do.

No Dexterity Bonus: You lose your Dexterity bonus to AC (if you have one) against opponents you aren’t grappling. (You can still use it against opponents you are grappling.)

ski309
2007-05-15, 10:49 AM
Q427

Does a tumble check to pass enemies by/through enemies need to be on the ground, or can a creature that is flying or climbing (aka those with a fly/climb speed) also tumble?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-15, 10:54 AM
A 427
You should certainly be able to Tumble while in flight.

I don't think there's anything that prohibits Tumbling while climbing either (I'll have to double check), though how that would work from a fluff point of view is beyond me.

If you think it should be restricted, I would suggest ruling that any type of movement that prohibits you from running (such as climbing and burrowing) also prohibits you from tumbling, due to the similar nature of the movement.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-15, 10:54 AM
A. 427

Yes, nothing in the description prevents that.

EDIT: Shhalahr may be a ninja, but at least I got the number right :smalltongue:

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-15, 10:58 AM
EDIT: Shhalahr may be a ninja, but at least I got the number right :smalltongue:
Meh. My fingers are dyslexic.

...Eh despite my comments above, I think I'm seeing some interesting tumble-climbing in my brain right now... Flipping over while keeping one hand on the wall you're climbing, and that sort of thing...

In any case, I don't think a creature without a climb speed should be able to tumble-climb, though, once again, there doesn't appear to be anything explcit RAW against it.

Citizen Joe
2007-05-15, 11:13 AM
From the SRD DnD3.0:

Monks
AC Bonus (Ex)

When unarmored and unencumbered, the monk adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to her AC. In addition, a monk gains a +1 bonus to AC at 5th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every five monk levels thereafter (+2 at 10th, +3 at 15th, and +4 at 20th level).

These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the monk is flat-footed. She loses these bonuses when she is immobilized or helpless, when she wears any armor, when she carries a shield, or when she carries a medium or heavy load.

Q428
What type of bonus are these in so far as stackability?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-15, 11:15 AM
Q428
What type of bonus are these in so far as stackability?
Unnamed. They stack with everything except for themselves and those items (such as Ninja AC bonus) that explicitly state they don't stack with it.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-15, 11:18 AM
A427Addendum
Move
The simplest move action is moving your speed. If you take this kind of move action during your turn, you can’t also take a 5-foot step.

Many nonstandard modes of movement are covered under this category, including climbing (up to one-quarter of your speed) and swimming (up to one-quarter of your speed).

All creatures have a climb and swim speed equal to 1/4 their landspeed unless listed otherwise.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-15, 11:21 AM
A427Addendum

All creatures have a climb and swim speed equal to 1/4 their landspeed unless listed otherwise.

They can climb and swim at those speeds, but that is different from having actual "Climb Speed" or "Swim Speed" which both grant automatic racial bonuses and allow one to take 10 on the relevant checks even when stressed.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-15, 11:22 AM
A427Addendum

I am afraid that is not correct Fax.

All creatures can use those modes of movement (unless otherwise noted), but that does not grant them that kind of movement speed.

If you read the SRD quote you provided closely you will see that it does not say that you have any such speed, just that you can move like that at a rate of 1/4 your speed.

EDIT: 3 posts within the last 10 minutes and all were ninja'ed :smalleek:
I think I should float somewhere else....

Fax Celestis
2007-05-15, 11:25 AM
I r pwnt. :smallfrown:

Jasdoif
2007-05-15, 12:59 PM
EDIT: 3 posts within the last 10 minutes and all were ninja'ed :smalleek:
I think I should float somewhere else....Have some popcorn.

Q428

Is there any reason why you couldn't use (Greater) Psionic Weapon or Deep Impact on a martial strike, then use Instant Clarity to regain your psionic focus on the same turn?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-15, 01:12 PM
A 428

There doesn't appear to be any problem with that technique. Note that it is useable only 3/day. Also, Instant Clarity does not appear to negate the Attack of Opportunity one provokes for attempting to become psionically focused.

Jasdoif
2007-05-15, 01:25 PM
Also, Instant Clarity does not appear to negate the Attack of Opportunity one provokes for attempting to become psionically focused.You sure? I thought it was the Concentration check that provoked attacks of opportunity, not the act of gaining the focus itself, and Instant Clarity has no such check.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-15, 03:03 PM
You sure? I thought it was the Concentration check that provoked attacks of opportunity, not the act of gaining the focus itself, and Instant Clarity has no such check.
The text of Instant clarity doesn't say anything about negating the need for a Concentration check. It just says that if you make a maneuver you can now "become focused" as a swift action. It uses the same sort of language there as Psionic Mediation which lets you "become focused" as a move action. Indeed, the "Normal" text only notes the change in action type without making any note of negating the need for a check.

Admittedly, the fact that the feat has a use limit of 3/day does appear to imply it was intended to create an automatic focus. It's severely underpowered to have that limit if you still have to make the regular check and provoke an AoO. (Especially since your almost guaranteed to be within reach of a foe when you use the feat.) Seems like more unclear wording that may be in need of errata.

Too bad WotC isn't too big on the online errata sheets anymore.

A Gray Phantom
2007-05-15, 04:14 PM
I wanna go FAST!

Q 429

Is there anything out there that is faster than "haste?" I wanna burn up road and blaze a trail faster than the most fleet-footed warriors!

Jasdoif
2007-05-15, 04:25 PM
A429

Sounds like a build would be what you're looking for. Take a look at this thread, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42925) many options for your high-speed needs.

A Gray Phantom
2007-05-15, 04:50 PM
A429

Sounds like a build would be what you're looking for. Take a look at this thread, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42925) many options for your high-speed needs.

Thanks for the link, but I'm just interested in a spell, really. But since even the boots of epic speed use haste, then I guess there isn't anything faster. Unless of course you use time stop+haste :smallbiggrin:.

Jasdoif
2007-05-15, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the link, but I'm just interested in a spell, really. But since even the boots of epic speed use haste, then I guess there isn't anything faster. Unless of course you use time stop+haste :smallbiggrin:.Ah. Well, you could use alter self (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/alterSelf.htm) or other polymorph-ic spells to change into a form with a faster land speed then your own (to a limit of 120ft for land movement), but that might not be what you're looking for. That's all I have off the top of my head for spells, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if some supplement has a superior spell.

You could also use the hustle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/hustle.htm) psionic power to get an extra move action, so you can move further in a single round; but that's a power and not a spell.

EDIT: Looks like I managed to misread Alter Self when I was looking right at it :smallsigh: 120 is the limit for fly speed. 60 is the limit for land, so if your speed is 30 (like most Medium creatures) haste will do the same job. Of course, you could stack haste with alter self to end up with 90....

RMS Oceanic
2007-05-16, 02:30 AM
Q430

It's not spelt out clearly in its entry, but if a Kensai from Complete Warrior spends 24 hours to provide his weapon with a +3 enhancement bonus at level 3, can he spend an additional 24 hours meditating to improve his signature weapon further than he already has when he attains a level, or does he need to start again with a new weapon?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-16, 02:42 AM
A. 430

The Kensai can improve his signature weapon further when he gains another level and has enough xp to spare. He/She pays the difference in xp between the new and the old enhancement bonus as described in the note on page 50.

Alveanerle
2007-05-16, 06:30 AM
The description text for the reserve feat Fiery Burst from Complete Mage states that the damage dealt is d6 per level of the highest still available fire spell. It also states that caster receives +1 competence bonus to the caster level of fire spells cast. Now here's a bunch of short questions:

Q. 431a
When finding the damage done, is only the "level" of the spell taken into account, without "level" bonuses to fire spells that the caster has? For example, with 2nd level spell being the highest fire one left, would the damage be 2d6 or 3d6 (due to +1 to caster level for fire spells in the feat description)? I'm sorry, all these "levels" seem pretty confusing.

Q. 431b
Would it be a valid assumption to calculate the Ref save DC for the Fiery Burst effect as one for the highest available fire spell, treating it like an evocation[fire] school spell?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-16, 06:51 AM
A. 431a

You should distinguish between spell level and caster level as they are completely separate.
The ability depends on the actual level of the spell and that is not influenced by any increases in caster level.

Caster level is used to determine many (caster) level dependent effects of spells, say the damage of a fireball, and caster level checks to overcome Spell Resistance.
Such level dependent effects (and CL checks) would be increased by any bonus to caster level such as the +1 competence bonus from Fiery Burst.

A. 431a

The DC is determined as you would normally do for your spells (DC 10 + spell level used + relevant casting ability), except that the ability has no school, so feats such as Spell Focus (Evocation) would not increase the DC.

Example:

A 5th level Wizard with 16 intelligence and a memorized Fireball would gain the following from the Fiery Burst feat:

As long as you have your fireball memorized (or some other 3rd level [fire] spell) you are able to create a 3d6 fiery burst (see the feat description) with a DC 16 (10 + 3 (3rd level spell) + 3 (Int modifier))

All [Fire] spells have their caster level increased by 1, so you would be able to cast a 6d6 fireball at a range of 640 feet and gain +6 on your caster level check to overcome SR.

Alveanerle
2007-05-16, 07:25 AM
re: A. 431
Thank You bigtimes for the clarification and a lovely example!

And here's another one, brought up by a clever player.

Pseudodragons, per SRD, can use telepathy.

Courtesy of SRD
Telepathy (Su)
Pseudodragons can communicate telepathically with creatures that speak Common or Sylvan, provided they are within 60 feet.

Q. 432a
Does it mean that pseudodragon can telepathically autodetect everything that's not mindless within 60ft range, and communicate with those understanding sylvan/common, no matter if he sees them or not and no matter what's in between?
Q. 432b
The SRD says "communicate" - does it mean 1-way or 2-way? Can a human peasant standing 20ft away just make a strong thought and wish it gets read by the Pseudodragon? Or does the "communication" mean that it can imprint messages in common/sylvan on others' minds, but the reverse communication with non-telepaths need to be made employing the traditional way of creating sound waves?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-16, 07:38 AM
A. 432a

There is no detection capabilities inherent in Telepathy and it does not require line of sight, but line of effect is needed.

A. 432b

Two-way communication, not just image or message sending.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-16, 07:39 AM
A. 432a

The ability makes no mention of detecting creatures mentally, so the pseudodragon must be aware of a creature to use its telepathy with it.

We can assume line of effect is required for the telepathy to work.

A. 432b

The general description of telepathy (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/monsterTypes.html#telepathy) mentions holding "telepathic conversations." Since a conversation refers to two-way communication, it seems the telepathy is indeed two-way.

Raum
2007-05-16, 07:50 AM
A 432 Reference
Telepathy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#telepathy)
A creature with this ability can communicate telepathically with any other creature within a certain range (specified in the creature’s entry, usually 100 feet) that has a language. It is possible to address multiple creatures at once telepathically, although maintaining a telepathic conversation with more than one creature at a time is just as difficult as simultaneously speaking and listening to multiple people at the same time.

Some creatures have a limited form of telepathy, while others have a more powerful form of the ability. The ability refers to "maintaining a telepathic conversation" which strongly implies two way communication.

squishycube
2007-05-16, 08:11 AM
A 425

The rules for sneak attacking with spells are described in detail in Complete Arcane page 85-86.

Q425Cont
Just to get this out of the way:
Are the rules for sneak attacking with spells described or explained in the CA. What I mean is: are they first introduced in that book, or was it already implicitly possible to sneak attack with spells?
This might have consequences in a core only game:
The Arcane Trickster is core, but in my mind requires being able to sneak attack with spells.
It's just that the description of Sneak Attack in the PHB is so limited and the errata and FAQ hardly add anything.

Q433
When you are pinned, do you get to add your dexterity bonus to AC against the one who is pinning you?
I thought you didn't, but I can't find any mention of it in the SRD. All the Condition Summary (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#pinned) says is that you are "Held immobile (but not helpless) in a grapple".
Immobile seems to me to imply certain limitations in the dexterity department, for example the Monk loses his wisdom bonus to AC when immobilized.

ski309
2007-05-16, 08:45 AM
Q434

Can my half-dragon monk add her claw and bite attacks to her flurry of blows attack?

Q435

If a PC has extra arms that don't allow extra attacks in a full attack, is there a feat anywhere that gives them that ability?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-16, 08:45 AM
A. 425 Continued

It was in the PHB too, but the FAQ and Complete Arcane has clarified issues such as volley attacks and different kinds of damage like level draining and ability damage.

A. 433

The only reference is not under grapple, but in the section for combat modifiers.

Treat the defender’s Dexterity as 0 (–5 modifier). Rogues can sneak attack helpless or pinned defenders.

I think this should have been clarified by Errata, the FAQ or the RotG articles.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-16, 08:51 AM
A. 434

Yes. A monk would could use both claws and the bite attack in addition to the Unarmed Strikes used in the Flurry of Blows.

However, the natural weapons cannot be used in the flurry.

A 1st level Half-Dragon Monk would be able to flurry with two unarmed strikes, attack with two claws and a bite during a full attack.

Full Attack: A half-dragon fighting without weapons uses both claws and its bite when making a full attack. If armed with a weapon, it usually uses the weapon as its primary attack and its bite as a natural secondary attack. If it has a hand free, it uses a claw as an additional natural secondary attack.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-16, 08:58 AM
Q435

If a PC has extra arms that don't allow extra attacks in a full attack, is there a feat anywhere that gives them that ability?

A. 435

From where do these arms stem?

Most creatures with additional arms are able to attack with these at a penalty, (which can be reduced using Multiweapon Fighting etc.).

If the arms are granted by a spell I do not think there is any feat that will allow you to use them (if the spell says that it is not possible).

ski309
2007-05-16, 09:05 AM
A. 434

Yes. A monk would could use both claws and the bite attack in addition to the Unarmed Strikes used in the Flurry of Blows.

However, the natural weapons cannot be used in the flurry.

A 1st level Half-Dragon Monk would be able to flurry with two unarmed strikes, attack with two claws and a bite during a full attack.So... the two claws and bite can be used after the flurry, at the usual -5 penalty? so the aforementioned 1st level monk's full attack would be -2/-2/-7/-7/-7?

A. 435

From where do these arms stem?

Most creatures with additional arms are able to attack with these at a penalty, (which can be reduced using Multiweapon Fighting etc.).

If the arms are granted by a spell I do not think there is any feat that will allow you to use them (if the spell says that it is not possible).The Insectile template from Savage Species states that although the template grants more arms, those arms can't be used for extra attacks while in a full attack.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-16, 09:13 AM
So... the two claws and bite can be used after the flurry, at the usual -5 penalty? so the aforementioned 1st level monk's full attack would be -2/-2/-7/-7/-7?

Precisely.
The penalties can be reduced to:
-2/-2/-4/-4/-4

with Multiattack.

The Insectile template from Savage Species states that although the template grants more arms, those arms can't be used for extra attacks while in a full attack.

Ahh yes, Bugman!
Sorry, I do not think there is any help for that.
If you want to be a bug with lots of usable appendages I suggest Thri-Keen. :smallamused:

Curmudgeon
2007-05-16, 09:23 AM
Well, you could use alter self (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/alterSelf.htm) or other polymorph-ic spells to change into a form with a faster land speed then your own (to a limit of 120ft for land movement) That's the limit for a fly speed. The land speed limit is 60'.
Alter Self

You acquire the physical qualities of the new form while retaining your own mind. Physical qualities include natural size, mundane movement capabilities (such as burrowing, climbing, walking, swimming, and flight with wings, to a maximum speed of 120 feet for flying or 60 feet for nonflying movement), natural armor bonus, natural weapons (such as claws, bite, and so on), racial skill bonuses, racial bonus feats, and any gross physical qualities (presence or absence of wings, number of extremities, and so forth). A body with extra limbs does not allow you to make more attacks (or more advantageous two-weapon attacks) than normal. The Varag (MM4) is a good choice if you're going this route. It has a base land speed of 60' and Run as a racial feat.

Curmudgeon
2007-05-16, 09:44 AM
Q425Cont
Are the rules for sneak attacking with spells described or explained in the CA. What I mean is: are they first introduced in that book, or was it already implicitly possible to sneak attack with spells?
A. 425 Continued

Actually the full, clarified rules for sneak attacking with spells were first introduced about half a year before Complete Arcane came out, in the online article Rules of the Game: All About Sneak Attacks (Part Four) (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040309a). But it's always been implicitly possible to sneak attack with anything that required an attack roll and otherwise qualified for a sneak attack. The clarification is really only necessary for matters like spells that deal ability damage: in that case the sneak attack damage is negative energy damage rather than of the same type as the spell.

ski309
2007-05-16, 10:17 AM
Q436

If an enemy is denied their dex mod to AC, does that also mean they don't get to add their dex mod to their reflex saves?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-16, 10:21 AM
A. 436

No, being denied your dex bonus to AC does not influence you reflex saves at all.

More extreme conditions, like being helpless, do influence your reflex saves.

... A helpless target is treated as having a Dexterity of 0 (–5 modifier). ...

ski309
2007-05-16, 12:26 PM
Q437

Precisely.
The penalties can be reduced to:
-2/-2/-4/-4/-4

with Multiattack.Disregarding Multiattack, what is the bonus for the claws & bite when the monk has multiple BABs?

For instance, the base attack at lvl 20 for a monk is +15/+10/+5, and a full attack with FoB is +15/+15/+15/+10/+5. Would the claw and bite attacks make it

+15/+15/+15/+10/+5/+10(claw)/+10(claw)/+10(bite) (+15-5)

or

+15/+15/+15/+10/+5/+0(claw)/+0(claw)/+0(bite)? (+5-5)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-16, 12:32 PM
A. 437

Technically you do not have multiple BABs when your BAB becomes high enough to grant iterative attacks.

In your example the BAB is 15 and that is what is used to calculate the attack bonus to secondary natural attacks.

In this case it would be +15-5 = +10 for the three natural attacks.

ski309
2007-05-16, 12:52 PM
Q437b

A. 437

Technically you do not have multiple BABs when your BAB becomes high enough to grant iterative attacks.

In your example the BAB is 15 and that is what is used to calculate the attack bonus to secondary natural attacks.

In this case it would be +15-5 = +10 for the three natural attacks.
In that case, should the secondary attacks come immediately after the flurry of blows attacks are done? +15/+15/+15/+10(claw)/+10(claw)/+10(bite)/+10/+5?

Fax Celestis
2007-05-16, 12:57 PM
A437 It actually doesn't matter what order it's in. Traditionally, natural attacks go at the end.

NEO|Phyte
2007-05-16, 01:02 PM
Q438

In Tome of Battle, Tiger Claw's Swooping Dragon Strike requires a Jump check, and "The result of this Jump check must be sufficient to allow you to move through an opponent's space and over her."

How do you determine if the jump is successful?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-16, 01:31 PM
A. 438

The description in the Jump skill is rather sketchy when you want to combine long and high jumps, which makes it a little difficult to determine the DC when it comes to creatures that take up more than a 5 foot square.

However, for creatures that take up a 5 foot square or less the DC is the same as for making a high jump equal to the creature's height (excluding vertical reach) or a long jump equal to four times the creatures height.

Example:
If you want to use the maneuver against a 6 foot high target the DC is 24 if you have at least a 20 foot running start, otherwise DC 48.

For creatures larger than a 5 foot square I suggest you use the same method, but you have to make sure you can also clear the length of the creature (It is only a problem for creatures that have a space 4 times wider than their height).

Massive creature like Gelatinous Cubes are problematic and might warrant an increase in DC, since you have to stay in the air at the height of the cube longer.
You can wing it unless you and your DM thinks that level of technicality is fun. :smallwink:

UserClone
2007-05-16, 01:42 PM
Q434

Can my half-dragon monk add her claw and bite attacks to her flurry of blows attack?
A434(Response)
Unfortunately, the answer is no, absolutely not.

SRD:When using flurry of blows, a monk may attack only with unarmed strikes or with special monk weapons (kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, and siangham).
It's right there in the monk's description. The rules do differentiate between natural attacks and unarmed strikes. So your 1st-level monk could:

Full attack with unarmed strike at +0.
Flurry with unarmed strike(or special monk weapon[s]) at -2/-2.
Full attack with claw/claw/bite at +0/+0/-5.
Full attack with claw/claw/bite at +0/+0/-2 (with Multiattack).
Full attack with unarmed strike(or special monk weapon)/claw, bite or both at +0/-5 or +0/-5/-5.
Full attack with unarmed strike(or special monk weapon)/claw, bite or both at +0/-2 or +0/-2/-2 (with Multiattack).

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-16, 01:47 PM
A434(Response)
Unfortunately, the answer is no, absolutely not.

It's right there in the monk's description. The rules do differentiate between natural attacks and unarmed strikes. So your 1st-level monk could:

Full attack with unarmed strike at +0.
Flurry with unarmed strike(or special monk weapons) at -2/-2.
Full attack with Claw/Claw/Bite at +0/+0/-5(+0/+0/-2 with Multiattack).
Full attack with unarmed strike with a claw,bite or both at +0/-5(or +0/-5/-5)

This is incorrect. (See the initial response)

The natural attacks are not made as part of the FoB, but in addition to it.

UserClone
2007-05-16, 01:51 PM
Flurry of blows is a special type of full attack. You cannot make any attacks with a weapon that is not usable with flurry of blows if you are to get the extra attack. Therefore, you could use a claw or a bite, but not if using flurry of blows as part of that full attack. Honestly, at 1st level, the guy's better off just C/C/B-ing.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-16, 01:56 PM
Flurry of blows is a full-round action, not a full attack. a full attack is one type of full-round action, and a flurry of blows/full attack are mutually exclusive.

No, FoB is not a special full round action.

Here is the FoB description:

Flurry of Blows (Ex): When unarmored, a monk may strike with a flurry of blows at the expense of accuracy. When doing so, she may make one extra attack in a round at her highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a –2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. ...

When using FoB you get an extra attack.

UserClone
2007-05-16, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by SRD:When using flurry of blows, a monk may attack only with unarmed strikes or with special monk weapons (kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, and siangham).
The key word in this statement is only. Only explicitly states that when utilizing Flurry of Blows, the above list shows the only* weapons/attacks available for that particular full attack.

*the Unorthodox Flurry feat from Dragon Mag Compendium, allows you to select one other type of weapon with which you can flurry.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-16, 02:12 PM
The key word in this statement is only. Only explicitly states that when utilizing Flurry of Blows, the above list shows the only* weapons/attacks available for that particular full attack.

No, only refers to weapons that can be used as part of the FoB.

It makes no restrictions on other attacks made as part of the full attack.

The monk can’t use his natural weapon attacks as part of a flurry of blows, but he can make natural weapon attacks in addition to his flurry.

UserClone
2007-05-16, 02:15 PM
Aahh... that's where that is coming from. My bad then, flurry away.

UserClone
2007-05-16, 02:23 PM
In that case, Q439
(Hopefully) The last in a series of questions about War Weavers. When storing spells in a quiescent weaving, is it necessary to do so while weaving the eldritch tapestry in the first place? Or could one simply cast the spell(s) into the tapestry (provided there was an open slot/slots into which he could store the spell[s]) and save it for later?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-16, 02:36 PM
A. 439

You do not have to have to do the Quiescent Weaving when creating the tapestry.
It can be done at a later stage.

UserClone
2007-05-16, 03:13 PM
Yes, but the real question here is, after having used up the quiescent weaving, can I simply recast spells, storing them as a new quiescent weaving, or do I have to weave a whole new tapestry?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-16, 03:23 PM
Yes, but the real question here is, after having used up the quiescent weaving, can I simply recast spells, storing them as a new quiescent weaving, or do I have to weave a whole new tapestry?

I do not see anything prohibiting recasting and storing spells again.

UserClone
2007-05-16, 03:25 PM
Me either... but it does seem a bit unbalancing to allow a wizard to potentially use all those full-party buffs as move actions, all day, in exchange for a one-level loss in spellcasting ability.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-16, 03:32 PM
Considering that it only takes 10 minutes to weave a new tapestry it would not be much of a restriction anyway.

The class is designed to allow mass buffs for warlike campaigns. This should of course be considered before allowing the class into a "normal" campaign.

Ditto
2007-05-16, 04:06 PM
Q 440

When a N/E cleric commands undead, is there a time limit on this effect? Or are they basically gaining a mindless cohort who has to be directed at the cost of the Cleric's standard action?

Jasdoif
2007-05-16, 04:10 PM
A440

There is no duration on commanding undead. You can release control over them if you desire, however.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-16, 04:12 PM
A. 440

No, there is no time limit.

Edit: You know the rules Jasdoif. No popcorn for you today! :smalltongue:

Zherog
2007-05-16, 04:59 PM
A437 It actually doesn't matter what order it's in. Traditionally, natural attacks go at the end.

I disagree.

Full Attack

If you get more than one attack per round because your base attack bonus is high enough, because you fight with two weapons or a double weapon or for some special reason you must use a full-round action to get your additional attacks. You do not need to specify the targets of your attacks ahead of time. You can see how the earlier attacks turn out before assigning the later ones.

The only movement you can take during a full attack is a 5-foot step. You may take the step before, after, or between your attacks.

If you get multiple attacks because your base attack bonus is high enough, you must make the attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest. If you are using two weapons, you can strike with either weapon first. If you are using a double weapon, you can strike with either part of the weapon first.

Highest to lowest.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-16, 05:05 PM
I disagree.

Highest to lowest.

Huh. Learn something new every day.

Kellus
2007-05-16, 06:05 PM
Q 441.

Would the Paladin of Tyranny from Unearthed Arcana ever be able to select a nightmare as a special mount? If so, at what level?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-16, 07:04 PM
A 441

Not really RAW, but here's my advice:

Based upon the list of alternate mounts for the standard paladin, the absolutely earliest a Paladin of Tyranny should gain a nightmare special mount would be level 8, as that is the level a standard paladin gains access to mounts of a similar challenge rating.

However, since it has several abilities considerably more potent than those available to typical mounts, I would recommend setting it at around level 10.

crazedloon
2007-05-16, 07:17 PM
Q 442

Does a medium size creature throw small javalins as light weapons at a -2 penalty?

Q 444

for the storm lord PRC can he use his javalins in a storm?

Fax Celestis
2007-05-16, 07:18 PM
Q442 Can you create poisons with minor creation, major creation, or similar spells? If so, are they eligible for the benefits of the Poison Master and Poison Expert (and similar) feats?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-17, 03:52 AM
Q 442

Does a medium size creature throw small javalins as light weapons at a -2 penalty?

A. 442

Yes, javelins are one-handed weapons.
When a creature uses a one-handed weapon designated for a creature one size category smaller, the weapon is treated as a light weapon and the wielder takes a -2 penalty to attack for using an inappropriately sized weapon.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-17, 04:06 AM
Q 444

for the storm lord PRC can he use his javalins in a storm?

A. 444

No, ranged attacks are not possible within a storm, not even for a Stormlord.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-17, 04:21 AM
Q442 Can you create poisons with minor creation, major creation, or similar spells? If so, are they eligible for the benefits of the Poison Master and Poison Expert (and similar) feats?

A. 443 (Not 442)

It is a DM call, but I doubt it is an intended use of the spell.
Strictly speaking the spell descriptions do not prevent you from creating vegetable or mineral poisons (Major Creation required for mineral) if you are willing to classify a poison as an object.

You cannot use Poison Master and Poison Expert with this kind of poison, since it would be a non-crafted natural poison.
Mineral poison are probably complicated enough to warrant a skill check, so they would be crafted and unnatural and therefore eligible for the feats, assuming you would allow poison to be created in the first place.

Fax, only a scoundrel would do this. :smalltongue:

EDIT:
In regard to question numbering, yes. :smalltongue:
(I just changed mine to make them less rigid and now I see you changed yours)

squishycube
2007-05-17, 04:37 AM
Argh, ninja'd again!
Hand me the popcorn...
Anyway, it seems I would make a different call than Silvanos would. :smile: (and also a more pragmatic approach to question numbering. I'll change mine.)

A444 not 442
Major and Minor Creation are very much in the domain of DM adjudication, because there is no RAW definition of a complex item.
If the DM classifies poison as complex (I would), you make a skill check to make the poison as normal. All the spell does is make it go faster. I'd say that poison making improving feats would apply, since you also use your expertise at making poisons (craft alchemy).
If the DM classifies poison as not-complex I find it harder to justify using the feats, but you might still allow it...

This is by no means an RAW answer, I'm just using some logical thinking (which is not always a good thing with D&D rules...)

Alveanerle
2007-05-17, 07:48 AM
Q. 445A

If a polearm weapon, say a medium-sized halberd (1d10, x3), is readied against a charge, and a critical hit is scored, what's the damage dealt?
a) (1d10)*2, rolled 3 times, +6*bonuses?
b) (1d10)*2 + 2d10 +4*bonuses?
c) 6d10 + 6*bonuses?
d) 4d10 + 4*bonuses?
e) (3d10)*2 + 6*bonuses?

Halberd
If you use a ready action to set a halberd against a charge, you deal double damage on a successful hit against a charging character.

Q. 445B
Whatever's the ruling above, would it also apply to scoring critical hits during spirited chargE?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-17, 07:57 AM
A. 445a

d) is the correct answer: 4d10 + 4 x bonus

Multiplication rules in D&D ignore the base when additional multipliers are added.

You deal 3 x damage for the critical + 1 x damage for the readying against a charge.

A. 445b

Yes.

MULTIPLYING

Sometimes a rule makes you multiply a number or a die roll. As long as you’re applying a single multiplier, multiply the number normally. When two or more multipliers apply to any abstract value (such as a modifier or a die roll), however, combine them into a single multiple, with each extra multiple adding 1 less than its value to the first multiple. Thus, a double (×2) and a double (×2) applied to the same number results in a triple (×3, because 2 + 1 = 3).

When applying multipliers to real-world values (such as weight or distance), normal rules of math apply instead. A creature whose size doubles (thus multiplying its weight by 8) and then is turned to stone (which would multiply its weight by a factor of roughly 3) now weighs about 24 times normal, not 10 times normal. Similarly, a blinded creature attempting to negotiate difficult terrain would count each square as 4 squares (doubling the cost twice, for a total multiplier of ×4), rather than as 3 squares (adding 100% twice).

Alveanerle
2007-05-17, 08:02 AM
Oh. So in other words a spirit charging black-armor clad knight wielding his barbed adamantium-tipped lance might pose some problems to a dwarven rogue trying to stop him, especialy if he scores a critical hit. :smallcool:

Also, the numeration in my post was kind of off. There were 2 "b" answers. Now it's edited into correctness.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-17, 08:09 AM
Oh. So in other words a spirit charging black-armor clad knight wielding his barbed adamantium-tipped lance might pose some problems to a dwarven rogue trying to stop him, especialy if he scores a critical hit. :smallcool:

As long as he remembers to power attack :smallwink:

Also, the numeration in my post was kind of off. There were 2 "b" answers. Now it's edited into correctness.

I noticed (the reason I did not just write the letter), but since the answer was c)/d) it was not a problem until you corrected your initial mistake. :smalltongue:

Alveanerle
2007-05-17, 08:12 AM
I hope You still have patience to my silly questions.

Q. 446

Please do tell me if the following sentence is correct:
"attacks of opportunity do not stop the action that provokes them".
In other words - a dire rhinoceros charges down the corridor at an unsuspecting halfling bard. But, hidden in the alcove along the way, waits an orc rogue (threatens 3 squares of the corridor).
A The orc scores an AoO hit versus the charging rhino when it enters the second threatened room - will that make the rhino auto stop, or give him a chance to stop?

B I know there's only one AoO per one condition provoking it. Is leaving a threatened square considered a different condition than moving within threatened area? In other words, assuming the aforementioned orc has Combat Reflexes and sufficient Dexterity score, can he also stab the rhino when the chargin animal leaves his third theatened square?

Alveanerle
2007-05-17, 08:13 AM
As long as he remembers to power attack :smallwink:

Would Leap Attack feat apply here too, if he managed to get his horse to leap jump forward?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-17, 08:22 AM
A. 446

A
The AoO takes place before the action that provokes it and therefore has the potential to disrupt the action, but it does not do so automatically.

Example:
The orc deals damage on the AoO, the rhino survives and can thus continue the charge.
If the orc had made a successful trip attempt or killed the rhino the charge would have been stopped. The rhino could then use a move action to stand up (assuming it is not dead), if it had a move action left (possibly provoking another AoO from the orc if it had Combat Reflexes, high enough dex etc.).

B

Moving only provokes one AoO, so the Orc would only get one AoO when the rhino moves past it to maul the halfling.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-17, 08:26 AM
A 446
A: Your initial statement ("Attacks of opportunity do not stop the action that provokes them.") is true to a certain extent. An attack of opportunity does not stop a given action by virtue of itself.

The only way to stop another creatures's action with an AoO is to use it in such a way as to make it impossible to complete the action. For instance, if the orc used its AoO to successfully trip the rhino, the rhino would be prone and unable to complete the charge. Naturally, knocking a creature unconcious or killing it with an AoO is sufficient to prevent it from completing its action in almost any case.

Note, however, some actions do provide the occasional exception to this rule. For instance, taking damage from an AoO provoked by an attempt to grapple your opponent does prevent you from completing the grapple action.

B: "Moving with threatened area" is just another way of saying leaving a threatened square. They are the same condition. In any case, moving in a threatened area only provokes one AoO from a particular opponent no matter how many squares threatened by that opponent you travel through. The entire path of movement is considered to be only one opportuity. After all, it is only a single move action on the provoking creature's part.

In the above situation, the orc would only gain one attack of opportunity.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-17, 08:37 AM
Would Leap Attack feat apply here too, if he managed to get his horse to leap jump forward?

If you allow the horse to do the jumping required by the feat, then yes.

Mount and rider is treated as a single entity for many purposes, so allowing it is not a stretch.

Alveanerle
2007-05-17, 09:24 AM
Think i can slip 3 more?

Q 447

A dire boar charges down the wide (10ft across) hallway at a halfling bard.
Said bard has an action readied - as soon as the charging boar is 20ft away, take 5ft step sideways and spit at the enraged animal to taunt it even more.

AWould that tactic work? Charge is straight line action after all.
BIf it works, would it also work if it happened in the "first half" of the charge, when the second part of the full round action is not yet burned? I mean, could the boar make then a slight correction to his charging heading?
C If A would not work, would it maybe work if bard took the 5ft movement to stand across the corner, so a partial cover is between him and the last room of the previously declared charge.
D Assuming target moves away, does the charge have to be completed so the charger ends up at the last space of the previously valid charge? Or ca n he stop, bewildered?
EIf he can stop, can he take some action if the stop happened in the first half of the charge?

Q 448

Imagine the following: a seriously injured dire boar charges at a halberd wielding brute who has an attack readied. The brute scores a hit, and the boar is brought down to -5hp. Now, dire boars are somehow special in that they possess the most extraordinary "ferocity" ability which allows them to fight without penalty even when disabled or dying.

Ferocity (Ex)
A dire boar is such a tenacious combatant that it continues to fight without penalty even while disabled or dying.

AWould the boar finish his charge and attack the no-animal-love brute?
BOr would he stop 10ft away?
CAssuming he survives to the next round, i guess he would be able to only take single actions, right? (so would the most he can get be a 5ft move and an attack)
DOr maybe he could employ the sweetness of partial charges?
EOr maybe he would he get prone from being dying? So on his next round he'd have to stand up in order to fight efficiently, or crawl (standard action provoking AoO iirc).
FNow what about all of the above if he is marely disabled (0Hp)?

Q 449
The Fearsome Necromancy feat from "Complete Mage And His Pointy Hat" source book states that any necromancer accomplished enough to posess this feat can leave his enemies shaken if they are required to save against a necromancy spell of his casting. Mind it, it does not mention if the victim needs to fail the save to become shaken. It just says the victim need to be required to make the save, and if this condition is met then voila, automagically shaken. Am i right in understanding its description, or there is some secret errata to the feat changing it into "one daisy grows for each necro spell cast"?

Q 450
My goodness, you're all doing a brilliant job of explaining all those simingly-simple-yet-confusing-to-newcomers issues. Someone should pick all these Q&A and reforge them into handy little GiTP Q&A FAQ once the Q counter reaches some magic number. Say 666 or 1024. Are such plans in place?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-17, 09:42 AM
A 447

It would only work if the halfling's 5-ft. step put him in a position where the boar could not attack him at the end of the charge. For if the boar could only reach the halfling from the start by using up all available charge movement, the halfling could 5-ft. step just out of reach of the boar.

To the best of my knowledge, once a creature begins an action, such as a charge, that creature must follow the action through as well as possible. So the boar would have to complete the movement portion of the charge, if possible. There are some exceptions, though.

A 448

The dire boar behaves as though it has at least one hit point up until the point it dies. Therefore, the boar would be able to complete the charge. It would be able to take its full allotment of actions. It would remain standing. Nothing would change at all until the boar drops dead at -10 hp.

A 449

Yes. If the caster casts a necromancy spell that requires a save, the target is automatically shaken. The feat does not apply to necromancy spells that do not require a save.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-17, 09:44 AM
Q 447

A dire boar charges down the wide (10ft across) hallway at a halfling bard.
Said bard has an action readied - as soon as the charging boar is 20ft away, take 5ft step sideways and spit at the enraged animal to taunt it even more.

AWould that tactic work? Charge is straight line action after all.
BIf it works, would it also work if it happened in the "first half" of the charge, when the second part of the full round action is not yet burned? I mean, could the boar make then a slight correction to his charging heading?
C If A would not work, would it maybe work if bard took the 5ft movement to stand across the corner, so a partial cover is between him and the last room of the previously declared charge.
D Assuming target moves away, does the charge have to be completed so the charger ends up at the last space of the previously valid charge? Or ca n he stop, bewildered?
EIf he can stop, can he take some action if the stop happened in the first half of the charge?

A. 447

Since the hallway is only 10 feet wide you might not be able to step out of the line required for the charge.

If you do move to a position that prevents the attacker from charging, the charger can stop and possibly change the rest of his actions for the round.

Partial cover does not prevent the charge in itself, but it obviously reduces the risk of getting hit.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-17, 09:51 AM
If you do move to a position that prevents the attacker from charging, the charger can stop and possibly change the rest of his actions for the round.
Can you source that?

Charging is a single full round action, not two separate move and attack actions. I don't know of any other situation that would allow you to take a different set of actions just because your attempt at a full round action was interrupted.

bighead
2007-05-18, 01:57 AM
Q 451

In a grapple if you successfully pin an opponent, do you deal your grapple damage?

Thanks in advance

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-18, 01:57 AM
Can you source that?

Charging is a single full round action, not two separate move and attack actions. I don't know of any other situation that would allow you to take a different set of actions just because your attempt at a full round action was interrupted.

The ready action takes place before the charge action and after that, the charging is not a viable action anymore.

If you have not moved more than your speed it seems reasonable to resolve it as move action, but I admit that is not RAW.

At the very least you can/must stop moving at the time the ready action is taken.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-18, 02:02 AM
Q 451

In a grapple if you successfully pin an opponent, do you deal your grapple damage?

Thanks in advance

A. 451

Not automatically.

When your opponent is pinned you can deal damage to to him/her by using an opposed grapple check.

If You’re Pinning an Opponent

You can attempt to damage your opponent with an opposed grapple check, you can attempt to use your opponent’s weapon against him, or you can attempt to move the grapple (all described above). At your option, you can prevent a pinned opponent from speaking.

squishycube
2007-05-18, 02:13 AM
It does exist though: The full attack action.
After the result of the first attack you decide whether you make a full atack or take the move action you have left.
d20 SRD - Combat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#fullAttack)

Alveanerle
2007-05-18, 04:28 AM
A couple more of fresh juicy questions coated in beshamel sauce, served on a silver platter engraved with floral pattern and dancing cherubs.

Q. 452
Area spell damage.
Should the damage be rolled separately for each affected character, or should there be just one roll for damage that affects everyone? ("niah niah, the 5d6 result for fireball is full 30 this time, for everyone")

Q. 453
Improved trip vs free action trips.
Improved trip feat lets one make a melee attack after successful trip.

SRD
If you trip an opponent in melee combat, you immediately get a melee attack against that opponent as if you hadn’t used your attack for the trip attempt.

How this relates to free action trip attempts granted by some other feats abilities, for example domino rush maneuver of shock troopers, or Knock-down feat bonus trip attempt (by the way, which sourcebook is this feat from?)

If Improved Trip grants extra attack also when combined with such FA trip attempts, would that mean that a charging greataxe wielding barbarian (almost guaranteed 10+ damage) that possesses the Knock-down feat, after getting in his trip attempt and succeeding, can execute another attack? Would his charge bonus to attack apply to that extra attack? What about the trip attempt - would he get +2 charge bonus to the trip attempt opposed roll?

Q. 454
Hold the line
One cannot AoO the same opponent more than once due to the same condition happening more than once during one round - that's ok. One reason - one AoO. Now what about the Hold the Line feat, that allows one to AoO charging opponent whenever he enters the threatened range.
Imagine the situation: a giant stag beetle fights for defense of his nest. During the heroic battle of epic proportions, he manages to slay most of the invading group. The last one standing is a seriously injured halfling rogue wielding longspear. By a strange coincidence, the halfling rogue has, among others, the following abilities: DEX 12+, Combat Reflexes feat, Hold the Line feat. The giant stag beetle, let's call him "Bubba" for the purpose of this excercise, charges down the corridor. The halfling has NOT readied an action to attack on charge. Would the poor halfling get two attacks of opportunity (one for entering the 10ft away square by Bubba, granted by the Hold the Line feat, and another for closing in from 10 ft away to 5 ft away square) or just one, for Hold the Line feat? If the later option is valid, would that mean that for reach-weapon users the Hold the Line feat is basicly useless?

Q. 455
Darkness
The Darkness spell creates shadowy illumination. What are some wiz or cle spells that do create REAL darkness or its equivalent? By darkness equivalent i mean a condition when one cannot use his sight to locate enemies, but blindsense works ok.

Q. 456
Pounce
Is there any kosher way for gaining Pounce quivalent ability (full attack while charging) by PCs without using +LA races?

Edit: the question numbering was off by 1 in the original post. Fixed now.
Edit: and edited again Q.453 example

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-18, 04:32 AM
A. 452

You roll it once.

bighead
2007-05-18, 04:48 AM
A. 451

Not automatically.

When your opponent is pinned you can deal damage to to him/her by using an opposed grapple check.

Q 451 continued

So let me see if I get this straight. I'm a level 1 fighter with only one attack per round. I'm currently in a grapple and on my action I attempt a pin. After the opposed rolls and all modifiers are added it shows that I win and my opponent is pinned. Do I deal damage, or do I have to wait till my next action and win another opposed grapple check in order to deal damage?

bighead
2007-05-18, 05:01 AM
A 453

Yes you would get your free attack against an opponent you could reach with improved trip and domino rush. I would rule it that way.

Knockdown was in the sword and fist book during 3.0. I don't believe it is a feat in 3.5. I think there is an errata for it because it was a tad over powered.

A 454

The hafling would get an AoO against "bubba" if he could threaten at 5 feet. You can not attack adjacent squares with a reach weapon, unless you are using a spiked chain. So if the hafling was wearing spiked armor, spiked guantlets, had improved unarmed strike, or any means to threaten 5ft in front of him, and had a reach weapon with the Hold the Line Feat, then I would rule that he would get two attack of opportunities agaisnt "bubba" from the charge because there are two different actions that provoke. 1) from pass through a threaten square, and 2) from a charge that is awarded from the feat.

That is assuming that the hafling has combat reflexes and a positive dex modifier and has the appropriate number of AoO's left.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-18, 05:03 AM
A. 453

Knockdown (Sword & Fist 3.0) was errataed to prevent this.

Use of this feat cannot be combined with Improved Trip to generate an extra attack, and successful use of this feat does not grant an extra attack through the Cleave or Great Cleave feats.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-18, 05:10 AM
A. 455

Darkness and similar spells are poorly named.

You can do a lot of magical and mystic things in D&D, but creating true magical darkness is not one of them.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-18, 05:19 AM
A. 456

Your options include:

Catfolk Pounce (Races of the Wild, page 148)
Lion Tribe Warrior (Shining South, page 20)
Lion's Pounce (Complete Divine, page 82)
Snow Tiger Berserker (Unapproachable East, page 45)
Two-Weapon Pounce (Player's Handbook 2, page )

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-18, 05:43 AM
Q 451 continued

So let me see if I get this straight. I'm a level 1 fighter with only one attack per round. I'm currently in a grapple and on my action I attempt a pin. After the opposed rolls and all modifiers are added it shows that I win and my opponent is pinned. Do I deal damage, or do I have to wait till my next action and win another opposed grapple check in order to deal damage?

A. 451 Continued

I am afraid you have to wait. :smallfrown:

Alveanerle
2007-05-18, 05:48 AM
A. 453

Knockdown (Sword & Fist 3.0) was errataed to prevent this.

Originally Posted by Errata - Sword & Fist
Use of this feat cannot be combined with Improved Trip to generate an extra attack, and successful use of this feat does not grant an extra attack through the Cleave or Great Cleave feats.

Q. 457
Would that explicite worded exclusion mean that dropping someone down with a trip attempt qualifies as "dropping an opponent" for the cleave/greater cleave feat? *blinks*

squishycube
2007-05-18, 05:49 AM
A451 Cont
Heh, it gets worse: a pin lasts one round. The point where you are going to damage the pinned opponent, you first need to pin the opponent again.
When you have only one attack, you cannot damage someone by pinning them.

Awetugiw
2007-05-18, 06:02 AM
Q. 458 How does blade barrier work when staying in the barrier for a longer time?

A. What if someone stays in the barrier for an entire round, does he get damage twice?

B. If someone moves through the barrier twice in one round (probably the circle barrier) does he take damage twice?

C. If someone moves through the blade barrier in the direction of the barrier, does he somehow take extra damage?

(I'd guess the answer to A and B would be yes, and to C no. However, that would mean moving the entire length through a blade barrier might make one take less damage than moving a short distance through the barrier twice.)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-18, 06:06 AM
A. 457

No.

Benefit: If you deal a creature enough damage to make it drop (typically by dropping it to below 0 hit points or killing it)

The feat explicitly mentions damage, so you have to either kill the creature or drop it below 0 hp.

Awetugiw
2007-05-18, 06:10 AM
Q.457add
But what about awesome blow? The damage dealt is the save DC, so you really have to do enough damage to drop it.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-18, 06:13 AM
A. 458

I think you answered your own question.

A) Yes, you take the damage on the casters initiative count if the BB is cast directly in your square or on the initiative count on which you entered the effect.

B) Yes.

C) No.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-18, 06:17 AM
Q.457add
But what about awesome blow? The damage dealt is the save DC, so you really have to do enough damage to drop it.

What does Awesome Blow have to do with dropping an enemy?

AWESOME BLOW [GENERAL, FIGHTER]

Prerequisites: Str 25, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, size Large or larger.

Benefit: As a standard action, the creature may choose to subtract 4 from its melee attack roll and deliver an awesome blow. If the creature hits a corporeal opponent smaller than itself with an awesome blow, its opponent must succeed on a Reflex save (DC = damage dealt) or be knocked flying 10 feet in a direction of the attacking creature’s choice and fall prone. The attacking creature can only push the opponent in a straight line, and the opponent can’t move closer to the attacking creature than the square it started in. If an obstacle prevents the completion of the opponent’s move, the opponent and the obstacle each take 1d6 points of damage, and the opponent stops in the space adjacent to the obstacle.

Awetugiw
2007-05-18, 06:25 AM
The target does land prone, so you do in fact drop someone.

(@A458: I was hoping RAW could provide a more sensible ruling somewhere. Ah, well, the non-sensible way will have to do.)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-18, 06:52 AM
The target does land prone, so you do in fact drop someone.

Dropping is not well-defined, but the standard use in this context would suggest that you somehow incapacitated your foe and not merely made him prone.

Of course, Awesome Blow is so awesome that it might warrant the additional cleave attack for the coolness alone :smallcool: .

Fax Celestis
2007-05-18, 09:34 AM
456Cont There is also Psionic Lion's Charge (Psionics) and the Sphinx Claws totemist soulmeld (Incarnum).

Jasdoif
2007-05-18, 11:51 AM
Q.457add
But what about awesome blow? The damage dealt is the save DC, so you really have to do enough damage to drop it.Thing is, it's not the damage that makes them prone, it's failing the Reflex save. The damage has no direct bearing on whether they're pushed 10 feet and fall prone or not, they take the damage regardless. So it doesn't fall under the "deal damage" requirement of Cleave.

Now, if the damage alone is enough to drop your foe (by the standard "below 0 hp" method), you will get a Cleave attempt. This brings me to the next question....

Q459

If the damage from an Awesome Blow is sufficient to drop a foe (by pushing them below 0 hp), is the extra attack granted by Cleave also an Awesome Blow, since Awesome Blow is a standard action and not a variant of a melee attack?

Fax Celestis
2007-05-18, 12:03 PM
Q460 I'm a very oddly built Battle Sorceror. Do I get a Cleave attempt if I kill a foe with vampiric touch?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-18, 12:05 PM
A. 459

No, you simply get an extra "normal" melee attack.

... you get an immediate, extra melee attack against another creature within reach. ... The extra attack is with the same weapon and at the same bonus as the attack that dropped the previous creature.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-18, 12:12 PM
A. 460

If you have held the charge and is making the attack as a standard unarmed strike/natural weapon attack and just happen to discharge the Vampiric Touch as part of this attack, then you would get an extra melee attack from cleave with your unarmed strike/natural weapon.

However, if you are attacking with the Vampiric Touch as a touch attack the spell will discharge and you will not be holding the weapon anymore and thus cannot make a cleave attack.

If you were to use another touch spell that could drop a foe and had more than one charge you should of course be able to cleave with that.

Saph
2007-05-18, 01:44 PM
Q. 461:

Faith Healing is a spell from the Spell Compendium which heals 8 points +1 per caster level, provided the person healed has the same patron deity as the caster.

If I buy a wand of it and use it on myself, does it work?

- Saph

Fax Celestis
2007-05-18, 01:46 PM
Q. 461:

Faith Healing is a spell from the Spell Compendium which heals 8 points +1 per caster level, provided the person healed has the same patron deity as the caster.

If I buy a wand of it and use it on myself, does it work?

- Saph

A461 As long as you have the same deity as the wand crafter, yes.

Saph
2007-05-18, 01:48 PM
Is the deity set at the time of wand (or scroll) creation, then?

- Saph

Fax Celestis
2007-05-18, 02:14 PM
Yes. All aspects of the spell (metamagic, caster level, etc) are set at creation.

Douglas
2007-05-18, 04:45 PM
A 454

The hafling would get an AoO against "bubba" if he could threaten at 5 feet. You can not attack adjacent squares with a reach weapon, unless you are using a spiked chain. So if the hafling was wearing spiked armor, spiked guantlets, had improved unarmed strike, or any means to threaten 5ft in front of him, and had a reach weapon with the Hold the Line Feat, then I would rule that he would get two attack of opportunities agaisnt "bubba" from the charge because there are two different actions that provoke. 1) from pass through a threaten square, and 2) from a charge that is awarded from the feat.

That is assuming that the hafling has combat reflexes and a positive dex modifier and has the appropriate number of AoO's left.
Correction: Most AoOs resolve before the action that provoked them. The AoO due to bubba leaving the square 10 feet away would be resolved before bubba had actually left the square, so the reach weapon would still be usable for it. The halfling gets both AoOs with his reach weapon without need for any way to threaten at 5 feet.

Alveanerle
2007-05-18, 05:10 PM
A. 460

If you have held the charge and is making the attack as a standard unarmed strike/natural weapon attack and just happen to discharge the Vampiric Touch as part of this attack, then you would get an extra melee attack from cleave with your unarmed strike/natural weapon.

However, if you are attacking with the Vampiric Touch as a touch attack the spell will discharge and you will not be holding the weapon anymore and thus cannot make a cleave attack.

If you were to use another touch spell that could drop a foe and had more than one charge you should of course be able to cleave with that.

And another option for the cleaving battle sorcerer would be the "Spell Flower" spell from Spell Compendium, right? One touch spell on each hand, hit with one, if kill scored cleave away with another.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-18, 05:27 PM
And another option for the cleaving battle sorcerer would be the "Spell Flower" spell from Spell Compendium, right? One touch spell on each hand, hit with one, if kill scored cleave away with another.

No, you have to make the cleave attack with the same weapon used for the dropping attack.

Ditto
2007-05-18, 06:21 PM
Q. 462

A) Does a warlock's Eldritch take penalties when firing against an adjacent foe/one in melee range?

B) Is it dissipated when firing through/in an anti-magic field?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-18, 06:27 PM
A. 462

A) Yes, it follows the normal rules for ranged attacks.

B) Yes, as a spell-like ability it is affected by Antimagic fields.

Alveanerle
2007-05-18, 07:33 PM
Q. 463

Blindness/deafness condition can be bestowed by a second level spell, and is permanent in duration. Is there any way to remove this condition when maximum spell levels available to the party are not higher than second level?

Basicly - any way to remove blindness other than "remove blindness" spell (Cle3), dispel magic (also 3rd level spell) and death/miracle/wish?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-18, 07:41 PM
A 463

Standard methods include getting a wand or scroll of the relevant spell and hiring an NPC capable of casting the spell instead.

Ditto
2007-05-18, 09:35 PM
Q 464

::sheepish:: Okay, what exactly *are* penatlies for using a ranged weapon at melee range?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-18, 09:39 PM
A 464

You provoke an attack of opportunity from anyone threatening you.

This is also the penalty for using a spell-like ability in melee range. However, using an eldritch blast is only a single action, so you still only provoke one AoO.

Actually, think making the ranged attack is just part of using the eldritch blast ability, and so you only provoke because you're using a spell-like ability. If you can negate that, you take no AoO even though you're making a ranged attack into melee.

Can someone help clear that up?

Jasdoif
2007-05-18, 10:50 PM
Actually, think making the ranged attack is just part of using the eldritch blast ability, and so you only provoke because you're using a spell-like ability. If you can negate that, you take no AoO even though you're making a ranged attack into melee.

Can someone help clear that up?The warlock entry specifically states that you can use eldritch blast on the defensive, by making a Concentration check, to avoid provoking attacks of opportunity. Errata states that eldritch blast is always the equivalent of a 1st-level spell, so the DC to use eldritch blast on the defensive is 16.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-18, 10:56 PM
The warlock entry specifically states that you can use eldritch blast on the defensive, by making a Concentration check, to avoid provoking attacks of opportunity. Errata states that eldritch blast is always the equivalent of a 1st-level spell, so the DC to use eldritch blast on the defensive is 16.

Unless augmented by shapes, correct?

Jasdoif
2007-05-18, 11:02 PM
Unless augmented by shapes, correct?Oh...yeah. Figures, I was trying to avoid people applying higher DCs from the pre-errata varying level on the basic blast, to the point that I forgot all about invocations altering the level :smallredface:

Vazzaroth
2007-05-19, 02:20 AM
Q. 645 Edit: I don't know where I got the 7.

What are the rules about switching places with an ally? Is it possible, if each are adjacent at the start of the the first one's (with higher initiative) turn?

Jasdoif
2007-05-19, 02:28 AM
...647? :smallconfused:

A465

You can't end your movement in another creature's space unless it is helpless, even if that creature is an ally. You could, however, ready an action to enter (via five-foot-step if you like) the space last occupied by the next ally who enters your space; as an added bonus this will work regardless of your relative initiative counts.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-19, 06:34 AM
A 465

For added fun, try dimension swap (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/psionicPowersDtoF.html#dimension-swap)!

Alveanerle
2007-05-19, 03:55 PM
Q. 463cont

A 463

Standard methods include getting a wand or scroll of the relevant spell and hiring an NPC capable of casting the spell instead.

Oh, so does it mean there is no way to remove spell-induced blindness for pre-3rd-spell-level party that cannot gain outside help?

Also:

Q. 466
Bull rush arcana
The bull rush description text is pretty straightforward - you declare to perform bull rush instead of attacking for damage, something happens, if the result of the "something" is positive the opponent gets pushed straight back.

A Now, what happens if the "straight back" tile is occupied by:
- solid object (say a wall)
- another creature?
What happens if it's a line of creatures? Say 5 kobolds stand in a row on a narrow ledge, and a hulking orc runs straight ahead and says he performs "bull rush" instead of attacking.

B If there is no place to move "straight back", would a sideways push be allowed if there are some free places to move?

C If no, are there any feats/abilities that allow for pushing opponents sideways?

Q. 467
Darkness arcana

Passage from the Darkness spell description
This spell causes an object to radiate shadowy illumination out to a 20-foot radius. All creatures in the area gain concealment (20% miss chance). Even creatures that can normally see in such conditions (such as with darkvision or low-light vision) have the miss chance in an area shrouded in magical darkness.
Now imagine a thiefling using his special attack Darkness on his own belt buckle.
A What kind of an action would invoking such Darkness be? Standard? Swift? The planetouched(tiefling) description only mentions it's Darkness (Sp), and lists it under Special Attacks.
B A 20ft radius of shadowy illumination surrounds our friendly tiefling. Anyone shooting at him has 0.2 chance of missing. What about him shooting at creatures outside of the darkness area? Does he also have a 0.2 chance of missing his mark?
C Darkvision and low-light vision are not working within Darkness area. What about Blindsight?
D Darkness dispells and counters light spells of equal or lower level. What if a light spell, say a continual flame (same level as Darkness) cast on a stick (item commonly referenced as everburning torch), is brought within Darkness radius? Would the result change if it's Darkness covered item that's brought into the Continual flame light radius?

Q. 468
Overrun arcana

You can attempt an overrun as a standard action taken during your move.
Now, what would happen if the party attempting an overrun is only allowed single actions (a condition imposed for example by a "zombie" template).
The zombie description states explicite that it is allowed to charge.

Single Actions Only (Ex)
Zombies have poor reflexes and can perform only a single move action or attack action each round. A zombie can move up to its speed and attack in the same round, but only if it attempts a charge.
Does it mean that a zombie can attempt to overrun during its "single movement charge"?
Or, if not during charge, maybe it can attempt overrun during its normal movement?

Q. 469
Toothed Tentacle Arcana
The Toothed Tentacle is a spell from Lost Empires of Faerun, page 35. Its description mentions that its caster sprouts split-end tentacle from his hand, nd can attack with all three tentacle ends as a full round action, or with just one as a standard action. To upkeep the spell, a concentration is needed.
A
If a full round action is used to make a full attack, when will the attack happen? During the round, or at the beggining of next round as per full-round spells cast?
B
If concentration is required to maintain the spell, and damage is dealt to the caster, are rules for maintaining such concentration the same as for continuing casting of full-round spell or noncombat casting of standard spell when damage is dealt through AoO?