PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A (By the RAW) II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-19, 08:35 PM
Oh, so does it mean there is no way to remove spell-induced blindness for pre-3rd-spell-level party that cannot gain outside help?
Well, the scroll or wand are only "outside help" insofar as you have to buy the item or find it. A lower level caster can use those items, though there is some small risk in the scroll.
[hr]A 466
A
A creature forced into an illegal space by any sort of attack is typically shunted to the nearest otherwise legal space. If there is no nearby legal space, that creature typically falls prone. If it a particular space was illegal because a different creature was standing there, the pushed creature typically falls prone in that creature's space, otherwise, it would fall prone in the last available legal space.

B
No. You must push a creature directly away from you.

C
The Shock Trooper tactical feat from Complete Warrior comes close. You can push a creature "diagonally"—sideaways and back at the same time. However you cannot push a creature just sideways.
[hr]A 467
A
Using a spell like ability is the same type of action as using the spell upon which it is based—in this case, a standard action.

B
Unless the creature is shooting from the edge of the darkness, yes, creatures shooting to the outside have the miss chance as well as their shots travel through squares that grant concealment.

C
Blindsight is not affected as the ability is not affected by illumination at all.

D
Typically, when a darkness spell is overlaps with a light spell, the intersecting areas are cancelled out. When the areas no longer overlap, the spells regain their effect. This is spelled out in individual spell descriptions.
[hr]A 468
The overrun special attack was erratad to no longer be possible as part of a charge. Since it consists of both a move action and a standard action taken at the same time, a creature incapable of performing more than one action per round is unable to use the overrun special attack at all.
[hr]...As to 469, I don't have access to the relevant books. However, the question is based on some generalities, so I can give some generic advice.

A: Assuming the casting time is a standard action, you would be unable to make a full attack until the round after you cast the spell. Note, however that it takes a standard action to concentrate on a spell, so making a full attack would end your concentration.

B: Yes. Being injured while concentrating on a spell carries the same penalties as being injured while casting the spell. Anything that requires a Concentration check, whether it is injury or a disruptive envirionment or something else, while casting a spell requires the same check while concentrating on a spell with a "concentration" duration.

Since I don't have the relevant spell description handy, however, there may be a bit of relevant text that overrides either of those that I am unaware of. Be sure to read the spell description carefully.

crazedloon
2007-05-19, 10:40 PM
Q. 470

Can you take non-huminoid followers with leadership if so how do you determin level. What I mean is can you take magical beasts or animals ect.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-19, 11:51 PM
A. 470

You use ECL to determine level (ECL = Racial HD + Level Adjustment + Class levels).

If the creature does not have an LA (indicated by a dash) it is probably not suitable for a follower.

Jasdoif
2007-05-20, 12:52 AM
Q471

Can an archivist activate any spell trigger item whose spell appears on any divine list?

Dragoon
2007-05-20, 03:29 AM
Q. 472

For magic properties added to weapons, armor, and shields that do not specify how much of a bonus it is, such as balance from magic item compentium, do these abilities count as a +1 or more for the limit of +10 on a weapon, armor, or shield?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-20, 05:36 AM
A. 472

No, but they do count against the GP limit for a weapon being considered Epic.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-20, 05:44 AM
A. 471

Yes.

There is a reason the class appears in Heroes of Horror :smalltongue:

henebry
2007-05-20, 01:08 PM
Q.473
One of my players has a shocker lizard as an improved familiar. As he gains levels, his familiar calculates effective hit dice = 1/2 the master's character level "for purposes of effects related to hit dice."

Does this mean that the familiar gains an increased ability score when the master hits 8th level and the familiar has effectively 4 hit dice? I ask because the save for the familiar's stunning shock ability is dependent on Con, and it's been seeming pretty aenemic of late. (The character is now level 10, and the bad guys lately have to roll pretty low to miss a Ref DC 12 save.)

Alternatively, Q.474, can the master up the Ref save for his familiar's Stunning Shock by casting Bear's Enduance on the creature?

Fax Celestis
2007-05-20, 01:13 PM
A473/474 Yes to both. Increases in Constitution (temporary or otherwise) will increase the DC, as would giving the Shocker Lizard the Ability Focus (Stunning Shock) feat.

Winged One
2007-05-20, 01:21 PM
Q 475
Do familiars gain feats when their master attains enough class levels to give them hit dice divisible by 3?

Fax Celestis
2007-05-20, 01:28 PM
Q 475
Do familiars gain feats when their master attains enough class levels to give them hit dice divisible by 3?

A475 As long as they have Intelligence scores, yes. This goes for skill points as well. Just because he's a familiar doesn't mean he doesn't follow the normal rules for creature advancement.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-20, 01:48 PM
A473/474 Yes to both. Increases in Constitution (temporary or otherwise) will increase the DC, as would giving the Shocker Lizard the Ability Focus (Stunning Shock) feat.

A. 473 Correction

I am afraid that is not correct.

A familiar is only treated as having half the master's level in HD for the purpose of spells and such.

It is a normal animal except for the specific changes mentioned in the familiar entry.

A familiar is a normal animal that gains new powers and becomes a magical beast when summoned to service by a sorcerer or wizard. It retains the appearance, Hit Dice, base attack bonus, base save bonuses, skills, and feats of the normal animal it once was, but it is treated as a magical beast instead of an animal for the purpose of any effect that depends on its type.
(My emphasis)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-20, 01:50 PM
A475 As long as they have Intelligence scores, yes. This goes for skill points as well. Just because he's a familiar doesn't mean he doesn't follow the normal rules for creature advancement.

A. 475 Correction

Same as above (Q./A. 473).

Familiars do not use creature advancement. They use the special advancement rules noted in the familiar ability description.
They retain their animal HD.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-20, 02:12 PM
*smacks forehead* Familiars, not animal companions. That being said, may I point you at this variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sorcererWizard)?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-20, 02:20 PM
*smacks forehead* Familiars, not animal companions. That being said, may I point you at this variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sorcererWizard)?

Animal Companions (and Special Mounts) do get feats and skill points from bonus HD, but they do not increase in size or gain any ability increases every 4 HD other than those noted in the description for animal companions (and Special Mounts).

crazedloon
2007-05-20, 02:25 PM
A. 476

Can you have a stitched flesh familiar Dragon if you have the stitched flesh familiar (libris mortis) feat and Dragon Familiar (Draconomicon) feat

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-20, 02:38 PM
A. 476

A very strict reading of the Stitched Flesh Familiar feat would not permit you to select other animals than those on the list in the PHB.

However, sometimes you need to read the RAW with an open mind.

Ditto
2007-05-20, 09:36 PM
Q 477

Would casting a scroll of a spell with a casting time of less than 1 standard action (e.g. Featherfall - Immediate action) take same amount of time as the scribed spell? Or is casting from a scroll a flat standard action? The SRD can be read both ways.

Spell Completion
This is the activation method for scrolls. A scroll is a spell that is mostly finished. The preparation is done for the caster, so no preparation time is needed beforehand as with normal spellcasting. All that’s left to do is perform the finishing parts of the spellcasting (the final gestures, words, and so on). To use a spell completion item safely, a character must be of high enough level in the right class to cast the spell already. If he can’t already cast the spell, there’s a chance he’ll make a mistake. Activating a spell completion item is a standard action and provokes attacks of opportunity exactly as casting a spell does.
Emphasis mine.

Jasdoif
2007-05-20, 09:48 PM
A477

Using a scroll is a standard action, unless the spell's casting time is longer then a standard action (in which case it takes that long to use the scroll). A spell with a casting time of less then a standard action still requires a standard action if read from a scroll.

If this is a little difficult to fathom, consider that reading the scroll is part of activating it, and reading it requires more then just a swift action.

How long does it take to activate a scroll with an identify spell on it? How about a scroll with any of the summon monster spells or a wand of summon monster? This has been a serious debate for some of us. Page 213 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide, under Using Magic Items, says “Activating a magic item is a standard action unless the item description indicates otherwise. However, the casting time of a spell is the time required to activate the same power in an item, whether it’s a scroll, a wand, or a pair of boots, unless the item description specifically states otherwise.” Yet, the very next section (spell completion items) states: “This is the activation method for scrolls . . . Activating a spell completion item is a standard action and provokes attacks of opportunity exactly as casting a spell does.” The Player’s Handbook section on scrolls also says it’s a standard action, yet the Dungeon Master’s Guide spell storing weapon ability on page 225 says “This special ability is an exception to the general rule that casting a spell from an item takes at least as long as casting that spell normally.” Which set of rules is correct?

Activating any magic item is a standard action, unless the item duplicates a spell effect that has a longer casting time or unless the item description specifies a different casting time. The sections on spell completion and spell trigger items should include the caveat that activating the item takes as long as casting the stored spell would take. Thus, it takes 1 hour to activate a scroll with an identify spell on it. A scroll or a wand with any of the summon monster spells in it takes a full round to activate, just as casting a summon monster spell does.

A command word item takes a standard action to activate, no matter what the casting time of the spell it duplicates. In general, command word items don’t duplicate spells with long casting times.

Use-activated items typically don’t have any activation times (because they function continually or because you activate them automatically as part of the action you take to use the item). Like command word items, use-activated items usually don’t duplicate spells with long casting times. Activating a scroll (or any other spell completion item) is “like casting a spell for purposes of arcane spell failure (such as from armor)” (see “Activation” on page 238 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide). An armored rogue who activates a scroll with Use Magic Device suffers the normal arcane spell failure chance.

RMS Oceanic
2007-05-21, 06:29 AM
Q478

Could you clarify what AC bonuses (bonii) are added to your touch attack AC? I currently believe it's:

-Dexterity
-Dodge
-Deflection
-Any other bonus that you lose when denied dexterity.

Am I correct, or have I missed something?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-21, 06:41 AM
(bonii)
Bonuses. Bonuses.

A 478

You apply all modifiers except for armor, shield, and natural armor bonuses to your touch AC. (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/combat.html#touch-attacks)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-21, 06:43 AM
A. 478

You got it just about right except that there is no such thing as bonii, in respect to the plural of bonus at least.

It is easier to say what is not included in your Touch AC:

- Armor
- Shield
- Natural

Touch Attacks: Some attacks disregard armor, including shields and natural armor. In these cases, the attacker makes a touch attack roll (either ranged or melee). When you are the target of a touch attack, your AC doesn’t include any armor bonus, shield bonus, or natural armor bonus. All other modifiers, such as your size modifier, Dexterity modifier, and deflection bonus (if any) apply normally.

EDIT:
Yes, I was ninja'ed.
No, it is not a surprise it happens all the time.
Yes, I am slow.
Yes, I partially blame my computer. (and my dex is not that high)
Yes, I take donations to buy new hardware.
No, I do not have any other excuses, but I did remember "shield bonuses" and provided a reference, which is now also made obsolete by the Wisconsin Wood Ninja

Tormsskull
2007-05-21, 08:22 AM
Q. 479

Readied actions are still giving me a headache. If I ready an action to move behind a wall with the trigger "If soandso starts casting a spell", what happens? Do I move behind the wall, thus making myself untargetable due to loss of line of effect, and therefore the caster loses the spell? Or do they not cast the spell? Or can I not do that?

In addition, this may be more of a DM's call, but how specific does a readied action's trigger have to be? If I ready an action of "If any of the opponents start casting a spell" is that specific enough or do I need to select 1 particular opponent?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-21, 08:28 AM
A. 479

This may seem a little weird, but your ready action takes place before the triggering action, so the spellcaster would have time to aim the spell at someone else or do something entirely different.

Exactly how triggering conditions are handled is subject to DM interpretation, but your example is perfectly acceptable.

RMS Oceanic
2007-05-21, 09:11 AM
Q 480
Superior Unarmed Strike (Tome of Battle) Says you hit like a monk of four levels higher than your actual monk level. Does this stack with a Monk's Belt?

squishycube
2007-05-21, 09:24 AM
A480
If the wording of the feat is like that of the item, I'd say no.
d20 SRD - Monk's Belt (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#beltMonks)

The wearer’s AC and unarmed damage is treated as a monk of five levels higher
Note it says 'treated as' and not 'is'. I suppose the feat works the same way, it is based of the original level, not the enhanced level. Therefore they overlap.
Disclaimer: I might be wrong, because I don't have Tome of Battle.

Jasdoif
2007-05-21, 10:41 AM
A480

A monk's belt says your unarmed damage is that of a monk five levels higher (or a level 5 monk if you have no monk levels). Superior Unarmed Strike says you deal unarmed damage as a monk of 4 levels higher (unless you have no monk levels, in which case you use the table in the feat to determine unarmed damage by character level).

This is a judgement call on my part, but since neither of them actually give you a "bonus to effective monk level for the purpose of unarmed damage" or anything similar, I'd say they don't stack. They're both relative to your actual monk level, so you get the bonus from the monk's belt because it's better.

Ditto
2007-05-21, 11:17 AM
Q 481

Do a warlock's invocations/eldritch blast incur ASF?

Q 482

As mentioned above, command-word items take a standard action to activate. In the case of, say, a +1 Flaming Sword (bursts into flames for +1d6 fire on command) or similar weapons, is there any reason you couldn't just activate it and put the flaming sword back in its sheath? The flames never harm the wearer. Alternately, is there a time limit on its power, or a limitation such as 'activated so long as it's drawn'?

Fax Celestis
2007-05-21, 11:43 AM
A481 Yes, they do.

A482 There's no reason that sheathing a flaming sword is an issue. Further, there's no reason you can't just leave it on.

Meat Shield
2007-05-21, 12:21 PM
Q483:For feats like Skill Focus (whatever) or Magical Aptitude, do the skill points go against the limit of 3+character level?

My DM would like page reference as well for the answer, so please let me know where the answer lies if possible.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-21, 12:28 PM
A483 Skill Focus and other skill boosting feats grant a bonus to a skill. Bonuses are allowed to go above and beyond the physical ranks you put in a skill.

Your maximum rank in a class skill is your character level + 3.

"Ranks"--in every instance--refer to your physical, actual skill points, not including bonuses or ability modifiers.

Skill Ranks
A character’s number of ranks in a skill is based on how many skill points a character has invested in a skill. Many skills can be used even if the character has no ranks in them; doing this is called making an untrained skill check.

Meanwhile, as you can see here, the actual modifier on your skill check is not just your ranks...

Using Skills
To make a skill check, roll: 1d20 + skill modifier (Skill modifier = skill rank + ability modifier + miscellaneous modifiers)

...and "miscellaneous modifier" in this instance is defined as such:

Miscellaneous modifiers include racial bonuses, armor check penalties, and bonuses provided by feats, among others.

Further, if we read the text of the Skill Focus feat:

Skill Focus [General]
Choose a skill.

Benefit
You get a +3 bonus on all checks involving that skill.

...we can see that it doesn't provide ranks, it provides a bonus, which is not subject to the level cap (and, since it is untyped, stackable with other bonuses).

Meat Shield
2007-05-21, 12:55 PM
(Wow, just to challenge him I should ask for a bibliography and peer review as well, instead of just a page reference...)

Thanks Fax, thou vast font of knowledge arcane!

Alveanerle
2007-05-21, 02:08 PM
Q. 484
Two opponents grapple each other. Unfriendly wizard tosses fireball. How to treat reflex saves during grapple? As normal, -5, not allowed at all?
Does Uncanny dodge happens to improve the situation?

Fax Celestis
2007-05-21, 02:10 PM
A484 As normal. The loss of Dex to AC doesn't affect being grappled at all.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-21, 02:11 PM
A. 484

The grapple has no influence on the reflex saves.
The are made as normal with all modifiers, including dex.

Jasdoif
2007-05-21, 02:22 PM
^ Have some popcorn.

A484 looking useful

Like Fax and the Popcorn Tyrant have indicated, being denied your dexterity bonus to AC does not mean being denied your dexterity bonus to Reflex saves. There are only a few conditions that impact your Reflex saves, as listed in the FAQ:

Exactly when can a character make a Reflex saving throw? The saving throw section on the Player’s Handbook says Reflex saves depend on a character’s ability to dodge out of the way. Does that mean you can’t make Reflex saves if you can’t move?

A character can attempt a Reflex save anytime she is subjected to an effect that allows a Reflex save. A Reflex save usually involves some dodging, but a Reflex save does not depend completely on a character’s ability to move around. It also can depend on luck, variations in the effect that makes the save necessary in the first place, and a host of other miraculous factors that keep heroic characters in the D&D game from meeting an untimely fate.

In most cases, you make Reflex saves normally, no matter how bad your circumstances are, but a few conditions interfere with Reflex saves:
If you’ve suffered Dexterity damage or Dexterity drain, you must use your current, lower Dexterity modifier for your Reflex saves.
If you’re cowering, you lose your Dexterity bonus (if any). The maximum Dexterity bonus you can have while cowering is +0, and that affects your Reflex saves accordingly.
If you’re dead, you become an object. Unattended objects can’t make saving throws.
If you’re entangled, your effective Dexterity score drops by –4, and you must use your lower Dexterity modifier for Reflex saves.
If you’re exhausted, your effective Strength and Dexterity scores drop by –6, and you must use your lower Dexterity modifier for Reflex saves.
If you’re fatigued, your effective Strength and Dexterity scores drop by –2, and you must use your lower Dexterity modifier for Reflex saves.
If you’re frightened or panicked, you have a –2 penalty on all saving throws, including Reflex saving throws.
If you’re helpless, your Dexterity score is effectively 0. You still can make Reflex saves, but your Dexterity modifier is –5. You’re helpless whenever you are paralyzed, unconscious, or asleep.

Outside of RAW, if you're feeling particularly cinematic (or just happen to be grappling a Rodent Of Unusual Size in the Fire Swamp), consider making an opposed Reflex save between your grapplers. Only the higher of the two rolls makes the save, if it beats the DC of course.

Alveanerle
2007-05-21, 04:00 PM
Two ultra-quickies
Q. 485
Lycanthropes in non-humanoid forms possess damage reduction of 10/silver. Do nonsilver weapons with magical enhancements (such as +1 dagger) pierce through such DR, or does the weapon need to be silver no matter what?

Q. 486
Please do verify if my calculation is valid. The price for keen, shock, +1 sickle would be 18306 gp, right?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-21, 04:11 PM
Jasdoif: Ohhh I am having popcorn! :smalltongue:

Two ultra-quickies
Q. 485
Lycanthropes in non-humanoid forms possess damage reduction of 10/silver. Do nonsilver weapons with magical enhancements (such as +1 dagger) pierce through such DR, or does the weapon need to be silver no matter what?

A. 485

It needs to be silver in 3.5.
You need the exact type described in the DR entry to overcome it.

Damage Reduction:

Damage Reduction (Ex or Su): A creature with this special quality ignores damage from most weapons and natural attacks. Wounds heal immediately, or the weapon bounces off harmlessly (in either case, the opponent knows the attack was ineffective). The creature takes normal damage from energy attacks (even nonmagical ones), spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities. A certain kind of weapon can sometimes damage the creature normally, as noted below.

The entry indicates the amount of damage ignored (usually 5 to 15 points) and the type of weapon that negates the ability.

Some monsters are vulnerable to piercing, bludgeoning, or slashing damage.

Some monsters are vulnerable to certain materials, such as alchemical silver, adamantine, or cold-forged iron. Attacks from weapons that are not made of the correct material have their damage reduced, even if the weapon has an enhancement bonus.

Some monsters are vulnerable to magic weapons. Any weapon with at least a +1 magical enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls overcomes the damage reduction of these monsters. Such creatures’ natural weapons (but not their attacks with weapons) are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

A few very powerful monsters are vulnerable only to epic weapons; that is, magic weapons with at least a +6 enhancement bonus. Such creatures’ natural weapons are also treated as epic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Some monsters are vulnerable to chaotic-, evil-, good-, or lawful-aligned weapons. When a cleric casts align weapon, affected weapons might gain one or more of these properties, and certain magic weapons have these properties as well. A creature with an alignment subtype (chaotic, evil, good, or lawful) can overcome this type of damage reduction with its natural weapons and weapons it wields as if the weapons or natural weapons had an alignment (or alignments) that match the subtype(s) of the creature.

When a damage reduction entry has a dash (–) after the slash, no weapon negates the damage reduction.

A few creatures are harmed by more than one kind of weapon. A weapon of either type overcomes this damage reduction.

A few other creatures require combinations of different types of attacks to overcome their damage reduction. A weapon must be both types to overcome this damage reduction. A weapon that is only one type is still subject to damage reduction.
Also see Damage Reduction under Special Abilities.

DAMAGE REDUCTION

Some magic creatures have the supernatural ability to instantly heal damage from weapons or to ignore blows altogether as though they were invulnerable.

The numerical part of a creature’s damage reduction is the amount of hit points the creature ignores from normal attacks. Usually, a certain type of weapon can overcome this reduction. This information is separated from the damage reduction number by a slash. Damage reduction may be overcome by special materials, by magic weapons (any weapon with a +1 or higher enhancement bonus, not counting the enhancement from masterwork quality), certain types of weapons (such as slashing or bludgeoning), and weapons imbued with an alignment. If a dash follows the slash then the damage reduction is effective against any attack that does not ignore damage reduction.

Ammunition fired from a projectile weapon with an enhancement bonus of +1 or higher is treated as a magic weapon for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. Similarly, ammunition fired from a projectile weapon with an alignment gains the alignment of that projectile weapon (in addition to any alignment it may already have).

Whenever damage reduction completely negates the damage from an attack, it also negates most special effects that accompany the attack, such as injury type poison, a monk’s stunning, and injury type disease. Damage reduction does not negate touch attacks, energy damage dealt along with an attack, or energy drains. Nor does it affect poisons or diseases delivered by inhalation, ingestion, or contact.

Attacks that deal no damage because of the targetÂ’s damage reduction do not disrupt spells.

Spells, spell-like abilities, and energy attacks (even nonmagical fire) ignore damage reduction.

Sometimes damage reduction is instant healing. Sometimes damage reduction represents the creature’s tough hide or body,. In either case, characters can see that conventional attacks don’t work.

If a creature has damage reduction from more than one source, the two forms of damage reduction do not stack. Instead, the creature gets the benefit of the best damage reduction in a given situation.

Q. 486
Please do verify if my calculation is valid. The price for keen, shock, +1 sickle would be 18306 gp, right?

A. 486

Correct.

Jasdoif
2007-05-21, 04:15 PM
A485

It has to be silver (or under the effects of silversheen (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#silversheen)). This was different in 3.0, where simply being a magic weapon could override many types of damage reduction.

A486

Correct. 6 for the sickle, 300gp for masterwork; and keen and shock and +1 amount to an effective +3 for pricing, which is 18,000.

EDIT: Once again, I am ninja'd by the Popcorn Tyrant.

Ditto
2007-05-21, 07:21 PM
Q 481.5

Clarification of my earlier question (Warlocks and ASF): Is it true that Warlocks incur ASF for invocations & EB for using armor except when wearing light armor? (A friend says only medium and heavy armors count, since 'invocations are less complex than spells', and neither of us have access to the books right now.)

Douglas
2007-05-21, 07:38 PM
A481.5
That is correct. Warlocks can wear light armor with no penalty but must roll for spell failure when using invocations or eldritch blast and wearing medium or heavy armor.

Curmudgeon
2007-05-21, 07:46 PM
Q. 479

In addition, this may be more of a DM's call, but how specific does a readied action's trigger have to be? If I ready an action of "If any of the opponents start casting a spell" is that specific enough or do I need to select 1 particular opponent?
A. 479

You can make the trigger as elaborate as your DM will allow. The example given is OK for "any of the opponents" but potentially problematic for "start casting a spell". Unlike a Contingency spell, there's no magic in a readied action; the trigger must be observable by the character readying their response. So a Silent, Still spell wouldn't trigger anything. Note that there are several other ways (skill checks, skill tricks, feats) to disguise spellcasting.

crazedloon
2007-05-21, 08:12 PM
Q 487

Can you gain multiweapon fighting feat if you graft extra arms to your body with the craft graft feat. Or can you not add limbs just replace them?

Alveanerle
2007-05-22, 09:14 AM
Q. 487
Shattered Arcana
Here's the SRD description of the Shatter spell.

Shatter creates a loud, ringing noise that breaks brittle, nonmagical objects; sunders a single solid, nonmagical object; or damages a crystalline creature.

Used as an area attack, shatter destroys nonmagical objects of crystal, glass, ceramic, or porcelain. All such objects within a 5-foot radius of the point of origin are smashed into dozens of pieces by the spell. Objects weighing more than 1 pound per your level are not affected, but all other objects of the appropriate composition are shattered.

Alternatively, you can target shatter against a single solid object, regardless of composition, weighing up to 10 pounds per caster level. Targeted against a crystalline creature (of any weight), shatter deals 1d6 points of sonic damage per caster level (maximum 10d6), with a Fortitude save for half damage.

What happens when i try to shatter a single non-crystalline item (say a full plate armor) worn by an enemy creature?
My guess is:
-there's a Fort save, using target creature's fort save value
-there's damage part (1d6 per caster level)
-if damage part-hardness is bigger than hp, bye bye armor (hardness included, because the "single targetted crystalline object" mentions no hardness, so i guess other objects are treated as having hardness).

Would anything happen if item is magical? I guess it works as normal, just treating the object as having higher hardness/hp than the normal one. The no-magical-items-affected clause is included only in the blast-version of the spell usage after all.

What happens is hps are not totally removed? Is 1hp-left full plate fully functional, the same as a full-hp one?

Umm, and are metals in DnD treated as crystalline?

Curmudgeon
2007-05-22, 10:13 AM
Q. 487

What happens when i try to shatter a single non-crystalline item (say a full plate armor) worn by an enemy creature?
A. 487

The first part of the answer depends entirely on which meaning(s) your DM chooses for the word "solid". From Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/solid):
sol·id
–adjective

3. having the interior completely filled up, free from cavities, or not hollow: a solid piece of chocolate.
4. without openings or breaks: a solid wall.
5. firm, hard, or compact in substance: solid ground.
6. having relative firmness, coherence of particles, or persistence of form, as matter that is not liquid or gaseous: solid particles suspended in a liquid.
7. pertaining to such matter: Water in a solid state is ice.
8. dense, thick, or heavy in nature or appearance: solid masses of cloud.
9. not flimsy, slight, or light, as buildings, furniture, fabrics, or food; substantial.
11. without separation or division; continuous: a solid row of buildings.
13. forming the whole; consisting entirely of one substance or material: solid gold.
(I excerpted only the definitions that could refer to materials.) If the DM decides that the target must be "not hollow", "consisting entirely of one substance or material" or "without openings or breaks" then full plate armor, which is made up of multiple pieces of different materials, isn't a valid target and Shatter will do nothing. If the DM decides to use only the most permissive definition ("not liquid or gaseous") then Shatter might work as you desire.

My guess is:
-there's a Fort save, using target creature's fort save value Please don't guess. The spell description says
Saving Throw: Will negates (object); Will negates (object) or Fortitude half; see text The target rolls their Will save. If they succeed, nothing happens to the object. (The Fortitude save applies only to crystalline creatures.)

Would anything happen if item is magical? I guess it works as normal, just treating the object as having higher hardness/hp than the normal one.
Again, please don't guess. There is absolutely no effect on magical items. Let's emphasize the words you overlooked:
Shatter creates a loud, ringing noise that breaks brittle, nonmagical objects; sunders a single solid, nonmagical object; or damages a crystalline creature.

What happens is hps are not totally removed? Is 1hp-left full plate fully functional, the same as a full-hp one? Yes, it's fully functional, and can be brought back to full hit points with spells such as Make Whole, or with a Craft skill use.

Umm, and are metals in DnD treated as crystalline? No.

Alveanerle
2007-05-22, 10:21 AM
As much as it is funny... i am in the position of a noob DM - learning and soaking knowledge on the fly, with great help of all of you on this thread - and for that big thanks!

After reading your response, i feel kind of stupid. I concentrated on parts of the description instead of reading it whole. Must... do... things... slower...
Once again thx for setting me on the correct track.

P.S. As for what's "solid" - being that my formal education is in the field of "solid stat physics", i give myself the right to rule it as the "non liquid and non gas".:smallcool:

umm... and the sunder damage is level*d6, right?

squishycube
2007-05-22, 12:10 PM
As much as it is funny... i am in the position of a noob DM - learning and soaking knowledge on the fly, with great help of all of you on this thread - and for that big thanks!

P.S. As for what's "solid" - being that my formal education is in the field of "solid stat physics", i give myself the right to rule it as the "non liquid and non gas".:smallcool:

umm... and the sunder damage is level*d6, right?
A481 (Not 487) 487 Cont (sorry for the mixup)
Everyone has to start sometime. People can get annoyed though, so try to ask a good question (http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html).

I think the solid you mention is the one intended in the spell description. This is an interpretation though)

The effect of Shatter depends on the target:

Targeted against a crystalline creature (of any weight), shatter deals 1d6 points of sonic damage per caster level (maximum 10d6)

you can target shatter against a single solid object, regardless of composition, weighing up to 10 pounds per caster level
If the object weighs 10 pounds per caster level or less the object is simply destroyed, shattered into pieces.

TomTheRat
2007-05-22, 06:06 PM
Q488

Druid shapechanges, he's got 5 HD, 20 hit points, and no con mod. He changes into a thingy with 12 con. Does he have 20 hit points or 25?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-22, 06:08 PM
A. 488

Wildshaping does not grant hp increase from constitution according to the errata on the Wildshape ability so he would still have 20 hp.

Wild Shape
Player’s Handbook, page 37
Replace sentence 3 of this class feature with the
following text:
This ability functions like the alternate form special
ability (see the Monster Manual), except as noted here.
Add the following sentence to the end of paragraph 1:
Each time you use wild shape, you regain lost hit points
as if you had rested for a night.
Add this new paragraph after the current paragraph 1:
Any gear worn or carried by the druid melds into the new
form and becomes nonfunctional. When the druid reverts
to her true form, any objects previously melded into the
new form reappear in the same location on her body that
they previously occupied and are once again functional.
Any new items worn in the assumed form fall off and
land at the druid's feet.
(My emphasis)

Alternate Form (Su): ...

* The creature retains its hit points and save bonuses, although its save modifiers may change due to a change in ability scores.

P.s. Very Minor Nitpick:
Having no con modifier is different from having a +0 modifier from a constitution score of 10-11.

Creatures that lack constitution scores such as undeads and constructs does not have a constitution and therefore no con modifier.

Your question was perfectly understandable, especially when the context was taken into considerations also, but I wanted to point it out because it is a reoccurring theme.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-22, 06:45 PM
Q 487

Can you gain multiweapon fighting feat if you graft extra arms to your body with the craft graft feat. Or can you not add limbs just replace them?

A. 487 (Numbering is off, not Crazedloon's fault though)

Most grafts replace existing limbs or does not allow for the added limb to hold a weapon.

Winged One
2007-05-22, 06:48 PM
Q489
If a display for a psionic power is observed, and the observer attempts and fails a Psicraft check to identify the power, is the observer still aware that the manifestor just manifested a power of some sort?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-22, 07:01 PM
A. 489

No, not necessarily.
If you see a certain effect you may of course might still make an educated guess even though you are not certain.

crazedloon
2007-05-22, 09:05 PM
Q 490

((I am bummed about the lack of extra arms by the way :smallfrown: I wanted to be a man covered in nothing but arms :smallwink: ))

anyway on to the question.... Would you lose your Vow of Peace if you hit or get touched by an evil creature when you have the touch of golden Ice ability? (all in BoED)

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-22, 09:14 PM
A 490
No. Touch of Golden Ice only inflicts the ravage when you touch an evil creature, not the other way around.

However, if you do touch an evil creature, and the Touch of Golden Ice deals ability damage, you will lose your Vow of Peace.

As you can see, it's a rather foolish combination.

crazedloon
2007-05-22, 09:35 PM
A 490 cont

Ok I assumed it worked that way (note to self dont do that :smalltongue: )

just a clarification do you have to activly touch the evil critter? If it grapples you does it get effected? If you shake its hand does it get effected?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-22, 09:46 PM
A 490 cont

No to the grapple. In that case, the creature is touching you rather than you touching the creature. Plus, there's usually no reason to assume a creature comes into contact with your hand, fist, or natural weapons (the only parts of a creature that inflict the ravage) in any given grapple. It may apply when you try to escape a grapple, deal damage via grapple, or pin your opponent, however. Not sure. I suppose it's up to individual DMs there.

Yes to shaking hands, since you are actively touching the creature. Of course, if you wear gloves or gauntlets, there's no problem, since your hand is no longer bare.

squishycube
2007-05-23, 07:04 AM
A. 488

Wildshaping does not grant hp increase from constitution according to the errata on the Wildshape ability so he would still have 20 hp.
I have a different take on this issue:
I think alternate form is referring to hit dice, not constitution. I find it logical for them to explicitly say not to roll new hit points when you change form. I find it very unlogical and inconsistent when an improved constitution score doesn't change your hit points.

I seem to be in a minority in this regard though, most people in my group read it the way you do.

Asmodeus
2007-05-23, 07:31 AM
I have a different take on this issue:
I think alternate form is referring to hit dice, not constitution. I find it logical for them to explicitly say not to roll new hit points when you change form. I find it very unlogical and inconsistent when an improved constitution score doesn't change your hit points.

I seem to be in a minority in this regard though, most people in my group read it the way you do.

Unfortunately, you would be incorrect. I was on your side, until I found this.

As per the errata for wild shape, despite an altered
Constitution score the character’s hit points do not change
accordingly. Does this mean that regardless of Constitution
changes while wild shaped a character’s hit points are
unaffected?
No. Any changes to a wild shaped character’s Constitution
score that occur after the change (such as a timely bear’s
endurance spell or a Constitution-damaging poison) would
have the full normal effect (including altering hit points).

Emphasis is mine.

squishycube
2007-05-23, 07:35 AM
Pff, absurd way to handle it, especially when Bear's Endurance comes into play during Wild Shape... Good to have the vagueness out of the way though.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-23, 03:01 PM
Pff, absurd way to handle it, especially when Bear's Endurance comes into play during Wild Shape... Good to have the vagueness out of the way though.

I never claimed that it was not absurd/strange/inconsistent, I was simply quoting the RAW :smallwink:

crazedloon
2007-05-23, 07:19 PM
Q490

can you make a cleave attack (the extra one after killing something) if you drop something with a ranged attack (like from a thrown weapon)

Fax Celestis
2007-05-23, 07:23 PM
A490 Only if you're using a ranged weapon that can also be used as a melee weapon (such as a javelin, dagger, or throwing axe).

Benefit
If you deal a creature enough damage to make it drop (typically by dropping it to below 0 hit points or killing it), you get an immediate, extra melee attack against another creature within reach. You cannot take a 5-foot step before making this extra attack. The extra attack is with the same weapon and at the same bonus as the attack that dropped the previous creature. You can use this ability once per round.

Emphasis mine.

crazedloon
2007-05-23, 07:34 PM
Q491cont
would a reformed (post thrown) psiblade from a soulknife be able to make the cleave attempt? I.E. does it count as the same weapon.

Asmodeus
2007-05-23, 07:40 PM
Q491cont
would a reformed (post thrown) psiblade from a soulknife be able to make the cleave attempt?

A 492 cont.

No.

Part of the requirement of the Cleave feat is the extra attack must be made immediately after the first attack. Thus, you could not stop, reform the blade, and then make the cleave attack, because you are putting some extra step in between the extra attack instead of making it immediately.

Also, no reloading of ammunition firing weapons is possible. And just to add one more technicality into the mix to prevent Cleaving with ranged weapons, The extra attack must be made with the same modifiers as the killing attack, however, you can't use your ranged attack modifier to make a melee attack.

crazedloon
2007-05-23, 07:46 PM
More cont.

But there is no action to reform the blade once you have the Multiple throw to make a new blade you can just do it equal to the attacks you get. That would seam to imply that you would have your blade ready to make the cleave. (think at least rp wise that would be throwing one way swing your arm around and cleaving into the guy next to you which is compleatly plausable)

Jasdoif
2007-05-23, 08:01 PM
But there is no action to reform the blade once you have the Multiple throw to make a new blade you can just do it equal to the attacks you get. That would seam to imply that you would have your blade ready to make the cleave.I don't see anything in Multiple Throw saying the mind blade now instantly reappears in your hand when thrown instead of dissipating. The most reasonable interpretation I see is that the limit on Free Draw is lifted, allowing you to reform your mind blade as a free action for each attack your full attack routine allows.

Which means you still don't have the weapon available immediately in order to make that immediate attack from Cleave.

D Knight
2007-05-23, 09:39 PM
Q: 493 what are the requirments to become a dervish?

ty for any and all help.

squishycube
2007-05-24, 12:10 AM
A493
They are right there in the Complete Warrior.
This book is not Open Game Content, so you will have to buy it to get the class.

Alveanerle
2007-05-24, 01:55 AM
Q. 494
charging arcana
Quote from the description of the "charge" maneuver in SRD (emphasis mine):

You must have a clear path toward the opponent, and nothing can hinder your movement (such as difficult terrain or obstacles).

Would being crouched be considered as hindering of movement? In other words - can one charge crouched?

(mental image of the following scenario: raging orc gets tripped down, not wasting his movement action an orc raises to his knees and charged headalong forward towards his target)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-24, 02:21 AM
A. 494

Only if the raging orc can move at full speed while being prone.
In other words, no.

RMS Oceanic
2007-05-24, 12:33 PM
Q 495
Does utilizing Combat Expertise trigger (Greater/Improved) Two-Weapon Defence and grant you additional shield AC?

Q496

Slashing Flurry (Player's Handbook II)
Prerequisites: BAB +12, Weapon Focus, Specialization, Greater Focus, Melee Mastery for a slashing weapon.
Benefits: As a standard action, you may make an additional attack with a Slashing Weapon you're holding at your highest BAB. The first attack takes a -5 penalty, and the second takes -10.
When attacking as a full action, you gain an additional attack at your highest BAB. This additional attack has a -5 penalty, as does every other attack with that weapon made after this attack.

Q496a
How does slashing flurry work with TWF and two slashing weapons?

Q496b
Does slashing flurry stack with speed/haste?

Fax Celestis
2007-05-24, 12:44 PM
A495 Combat Expertise is not considered "fighting defensively" (as the action), but you can fight defensively and use CE at the same time/

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-24, 12:49 PM
A. 496a

The feat does not grant any additional benefit when wielding two slashing weapons.

A. 496b

The extra attack is not a speed/haste effect and therefore works/stacks with haste/speed.

Meat Shield
2007-05-24, 03:17 PM
Q497: Enlarge Person only works on humanoids. Is there a similar spell that works on non-humanoids, especially giants?

Fax Celestis
2007-05-24, 03:20 PM
A497 Not within core.

Alveanerle
2007-05-24, 05:41 PM
Q. 498

When using the whirling frenzy variant, can one hit twice during charge or only when using full attack action?

Fax Celestis
2007-05-24, 05:49 PM
A498 The text of the feature does not specify when you gain the extra attack beyond "once per round," so I would say yes.

While in a whirling frenzy, the barbarian may make one extra attack in a round at his highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the barbarian might make before his next action.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-24, 05:52 PM
A. 498 Correction

Unless otherwise noted you need to use the full attack action to benefit from extra attacks.

Full Attack

If you get more than one attack per round because your base attack bonus is high enough, because you fight with two weapons or a double weapon or for some special reason you must use a full-round action to get your additional attacks.
(My emphasis)

MeklorIlavator
2007-05-24, 06:02 PM
Q 499: If a prestige class gives +1 spellcasting level, or +1 divine spellcasting level, does that increae domain spells for a cleric? Mt group doesn't know, and I tend not to trust them on crunch(we once had 2 standard actions, or 2 move actions in a turn).

Fax Celestis
2007-05-24, 06:06 PM
A499 (NOT 497) Yes, it does advance Domain spells.

Jasdoif
2007-05-24, 06:51 PM
Off-question, but...

Mt group doesn't know, and I tend not to trust them on crunch(we once had 2 standard actions, or 2 move actions in a turn).You can, in fact, have 2 move actions in a turn, by taking a second move action in place of your standard action.

Dragoon
2007-05-24, 08:12 PM
Q: 500

If a medium is made with mithral, can a character who's proficent with only light armor wear it without having to deal with the armor check penalties?

Jasdoif
2007-05-24, 08:22 PM
A500

Mithral medium armor is treated as light armor, so a character with light armor proficency is proficient with mithral medium armor.

Lemur
2007-05-24, 08:54 PM
Q501: If you cast invisibility on a weapon, then attack with that weapon, does it become visible, or does it stay invisible? The weapon is being used to attack, but the weapon itself isn't actually attacking, so I'm unclear on this.

Jasdoif
2007-05-24, 09:02 PM
A501

The spell's description doesn't address this directly, but I would conclude that making an attack roll with an invisible object means the object is making the attack. Thus the object is attacking, and invisibility is broken unless the attack is against an unattended object or otherwise wouldn't cause invisibility to break.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-24, 09:26 PM
A501Cont We can also assume that the item does become visible on attack from how traps work (from Dungeonscape, but still): they become visible on striking.

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-05-24, 09:30 PM
Q 502
Can the Spring Attack feat be combined with martial maneuvers that require a standard action, specifically strikes?

I'm thinking yes, since it's an attack with a melee weapon, and I believe the restrictions on spring attack are intended only to prevent you from combining the feat with a full attack action.

Who knows for sure, and source?

Jasdoif
2007-05-24, 09:33 PM
A502

No, you can't. Spring Attack is a standard action in which you make a single melee attack.

Can a rogue using Spring Attack to . . .
1) gain an extra attack against his foe in the middle of his move?
2) deal sneak attack damage on both attacks if his target is caught by surprise or flanked?

While it is certainly possible to use the Spring Attack feat to put your opponent into a position where you might sneak attack them (whether they are flat-footed or flanked), you could take only a single attack as a part of this action, since Spring Attack specifies that it is done “using the attack action.” You can’t make a full attack as part of a Spring Attack, nor can you even use any standard action—you can make only a single attack.Underline emphasis mine.

Curmudgeon
2007-05-24, 11:30 PM
A. 502

Only if you have some way of getting extra action(s) in a round. One way of doing that is with the Belt of Battle (Magic Item Compendium, page 73), but special class abilities or feats could also make possible a turn combining both a standard action (for the martial strike) and the attack required by Spring Attack.

Jimp
2007-05-25, 11:03 AM
Q. 503
Does the ASF reduction from Mythril armor stack with the ASF reduction from the Twilight enchantment (PHB 2 in Duskblade section)?

Zherog
2007-05-25, 11:13 AM
A 503

Yes. Or, I suppose more correctly, there's nothing to indicate that they don't combine.

ski309
2007-05-25, 11:35 AM
Q 504

Is there a feat or magic item anywhere that gives its possesor the pounce special ability?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-25, 11:49 AM
A. 504

This was at least partially covered earlier:

A. 456

Your options include:

Catfolk Pounce (Races of the Wild, page 148)
Lion Tribe Warrior (Shining South, page 20)
Lion's Pounce (Complete Divine, page 82)
Snow Tiger Berserker (Unapproachable East, page 45)
Two-Weapon Pounce (Player's Handbook 2, page )

456Cont There is also Psionic Lion's Charge (Psionics) and the Sphinx Claws totemist soulmeld (Incarnum).

Ponce
2007-05-25, 01:20 PM
Q505
Do magical enhancements such as Flaming or Vorpal count toward the weapon's enhancement bonus when determining its new Hardness and Hit Points?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-25, 01:24 PM
A. 505

No, only the actual straight enhancement bonus does, the pluses. :smallwink:

ski309
2007-05-25, 01:42 PM
Q 506

If you have the feats Exceptional Deflection and Snatch Arrows, does that mean you can catch spells? Cuz that would be badass.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-25, 02:04 PM
A. 506

Exceptional Deflection only allows you to deflect spells like arrows, not to treat them like arrows for snatching purposes.

You would need Snatchilicious Snatching for that.

ski309
2007-05-25, 02:08 PM
A. 506

Exceptional Deflection only allows you to deflect spells like arrows, not to treat them like arrows for snatching purposes.

You would need Snatchilicious Snatching for that.What book is that in? (jk)

Fax Celestis
2007-05-25, 02:18 PM
What book is that in? (jk)

I believe it appears in Complete Munchkin.

squishycube
2007-05-25, 03:16 PM
Watch it boys, this thread can't take that much humour :cool:

A500 Correction
Actually, the Special Materials (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm#mithral) section of the SRD says:

Most mithral armors are one category lighter than normal for purposes of movement and other limitations
(Emphasis mine)
Now "other limitations" could be interpreted very widely and include any kind of limitations there are on armour. I am on the other hand inclined to think that they are talking about the limitations the armour itself poses while using it, that is on speed, max dex, ACP and certain class features. I think you still need to be proficient with the medium armour in the first place.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-25, 03:22 PM
A. 500 Continued some more

A500 Correction
Actually, the Special Materials (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm#mithral) section of the SRD says:

(Emphasis mine)
Now "other limitations" could be interpreted very widely and include any kind of limitations there are on armour. I am on the other hand inclined to think that they are talking about the limitations the armour itself poses while using it, that is on speed, max dex, ACP and certain class features. I think you still need to be proficient with the medium armour in the first place.

The Sage supports the "for the purpose of all-limitations (except budgetary)" interpretation.

Is a character proficient with light armor, such as a rogue, considered to be proficient with mithral breastplate?
What about a character proficient with medium armor, such as a barbarian—is he considered proficient with mithral full plate armor?

The description of mithral on page 284 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide is less precise than it could be in defining how it interacts with armor proficiency rules. The simplest answer— and the one that the Sage expects most players and DMs use — is that mithral armor is treated as one category lighter for all purposes, including proficiency. This isn’t exactly what the Dungeon Master’s Guide says, but it’s a reasonable interpretation of the intent of the rule (and it’s supported by a number of precedents, including the descriptions of various specific mithral armors described on page 220 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide and a variety of NPC stat blocks).
Thus, a ranger or rogue could wear a mithral breastplate without suffering a nonproficiency penalty (since it’s treated as light armor), and each could use any ability dependent on wearing light or no armor (such as evasion or the ranger’s combat style). A barbarian could wear mithral full plate armor without suffering a nonproficiency penalty (since it’s treated as medium armor), and he could use any ability dependent on wearing medium or lighter armor (such as fast movement).
The same would be true of any other special material that
uses the same or similar language as mithral (such as darkleaf, on page 120 of the EBERRON Campaign setting).
(Emphasis mine)

Watch it boys, this thread can't take that much humour :cool:

Humor? Where did you see that. :smallamused:

Asmodeus
2007-05-25, 03:24 PM
A500
Correction to the Correction

Is a character proficient with light armor, such as a
rogue, considered to be proficient with mithral breastplate?
What about a character proficient with medium armor,
such as a barbarian—is he considered proficient with
mithral full plate armor?
The description of mithral on page 284 of the Dungeon
Master’s Guide is less precise than it could be in defining how
it interacts with armor proficiency rules. The simplest answer—
and the one that the Sage expects most players and DMs use—
is that mithral armor is treated as one category lighter for all
purposes, including proficiency. This isn’t exactly what the
Dungeon Master’s Guide says, but it’s a reasonable
interpretation of the intent of the rule (and it’s supported by a
number of precedents, including the descriptions of various
specific mithral armors described on page 220 of the Dungeon
Master’s Guide and a variety of NPC stat blocks).
Thus, a ranger or rogue could wear a mithral breastplate
without suffering a nonproficiency penalty (since it’s treated as
light armor), and each could use any ability dependent on
wearing light or no armor (such as evasion or the ranger’s
combat style). A barbarian could wear mithral full plate armor
without suffering a nonproficiency penalty (since it’s treated as
medium armor), and he could use any ability dependent on
wearing medium or lighter armor (such as fast movement).
The same would be true of any other special material that
uses the same or similar language as mithral (such as darkleaf,
on page 120 of the EBERRON Campaign Setting).

Emphasis is mine.

Edit: Curse you Ninja-Poster!

squishycube
2007-05-25, 04:16 PM
I guess I am not most players then :smallsmile:

johhny-turbo
2007-05-25, 09:06 PM
Q. 507

What happens if a Warlock uses an invocation that duplicates the effect of a spell that requires that has a component cost? Specificly the invocation "The Dead Walk" which duplicates Animate Dead

Jasdoif
2007-05-25, 09:12 PM
A507

Read the particular invocation's description, it will tell you if you need a material component. In the case of "The Dead Walk", you can use the invocation without the material component, but you need to provide it if you want the undead to be permanent.

Spell-like abilities--such as invocations--don't have verbal, somatic, material, focus or XP components unless their descriptions say they do.

EDIT: Note that the description of the warlock says their invocations have somatic components.

Ryuuk
2007-05-26, 11:37 AM
Q 508

Would spells with the [Force] or [Air] descriptors be viable targets for the Energy Substitution metamagic feat, as in, could their damage be changed from force to an element?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-26, 12:34 PM
A. 508

No, the five energy types are Sonic, Fire, Cold, Electricity and Acid. (Positive and Negative energy exists too, but are treated differently from the other five.)

Rad
2007-05-26, 12:39 PM
Q. 509
The 3.0 version of blade barrier can be cast on an horizontal plane, actually becoming a kind of area effect.
1) can I create one at some height from the ground or can I only use it to close a gap in the floor, such as a trapdoor or similar?
2) how is the save interpreted? Do we assume that people making their save managed to duck under it in time? Does it mean that they are prone now if the barrier was low enough? I guess that flying creatures would be able to stay up over it if they make theirs.
Obviously, all of it is needed according to 3.0 rules.

Thank you

Jasdoif
2007-05-26, 12:50 PM
A508 minor correction

A. 508

Yes, Force is an energy type along with Fire, Cold, Electricity and Acid. (Positive and Negative energy exists too, but are treated differently from the other five.)Sonic is also an energy type and subtype. (I find it slightly odd that you can't pick sonic when you take the feat.)

For reference, positive energy and negative energy don't have energy subtypes, which is why they're not valid for the feat to apply to.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-26, 01:03 PM
A508 minor correction
Sonic is also an energy type and subtype. (I find it slightly odd that you can't pick sonic when you take the feat.)

For reference, positive energy and negative energy don't have energy subtypes, which is why they're not valid for the feat to apply to.

I have been drinking red wine.....
I was thinking of Sonic as the 5th energy type when I wrote Force.
I have corrected my initial post.

Jasdoif
2007-05-26, 02:31 PM
I was thinking of Sonic as the 5th energy type when I wrote Force.
I have corrected my initial post.Wait. Are you sure Force doesn't count, then? It's both a damage type and a spell subtype....

Matthew
2007-05-26, 03:13 PM
QX? Continued...

So, I just came across another contradiction in the FAQ (Hurray!):

Dungeons & Dragons FAQ (April, 2007), p.10.

My DM says that my cleric has to drop his morningstar
to cast spells. Is he right?
Yes and no. To cast a spell with a somatic (S) component,
you must gesture freely with at least one hand. (Player’s
Handbook, page 140) A cleric (or any caster, for that matter)
who holds a weapon in one hand and wears a heavy shield on
the other arm doesn’t have a hand free to cast a spell with a
somatic component (which includes most spells in the game).
To cast such a spell, the character must either drop or sheathe
his weapon.
Another simple option is for the cleric to carry a buckler or
light shield instead of a heavy shield. The buckler leaves one
hand free for spellcasting, and you don’t even lose the
buckler’s shield bonus to AC when casting with that hand. The
light shield doesn’t give you a free hand for spellcasting, but
since you can hold an item in the same hand that holds the light
shield, you could switch your weapon to that hand to free up a
hand for spellcasting. (You can’t use the weapon while it’s held
in the same hand as your shield, of course.) The rules don’t
state what type of action is required to switch hands on a
weapon, but it seems reasonable to assume that it’s the
equivalent of drawing a weapon (a move action that doesn’t
provoke attacks of opportunity).

All well and good, until...

Dungeons & Dragons FAQ (April, 2007), p.15.

The duskblade’s armored mage class feature (Player’s
Handbook II, 20) allows you to cast spells while wearing a
shield with no arcane spell failure. If the duskblade has a
sword in one hand and a shield in the other, can they still
cast spells? If not, why carry a shield?
You need a free hand to cast a spell with a somatic
component, and to cast a spell with a material or focus
component, you need that component at hand (which usually
means you need a free hand to manipulate it). The buckler and
light shield both allow you to use your shield hand for such
activities.

God Dammit! So, any ideas?

Jasdoif
2007-05-26, 03:22 PM
...what's the contradiction? You need a free hand to so much as attempt somatic components, this isn't an effect of the arcane spell failure that the duskblade is ignoring and that the cleric isn't subject to.

Matthew
2007-05-26, 03:27 PM
Read carefully. The first claims a Light Shield cannot be used to Cast Spells with the 'Free Hand', the second contradicts it.

Jasdoif
2007-05-26, 03:34 PM
Oh, I see it now....

Weird. Well, either the duskblade has an unlisted ability to perform somatic components with a light shield, or the cleric in the first example was being unduly punished with a light shield.

I'm going to go with the cleric being unduly punished. Poor cleric!

Penguinizer
2007-05-26, 03:34 PM
Q. 510: Would it be possible to dual wield 2 light repeating crossbows while making a move action as a Dervish (I think thats how it works) with up the walls.

Mainly for comedic effect again.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-26, 04:11 PM
Wait. Are you sure Force doesn't count, then? It's both a damage type and a spell subtype....

Yes, Force is its own type not related to the elements. The damage type is important in respect to Etherealness and force effects protects against incorporeal creatures.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-26, 04:20 PM
Q. 510: Would it be possible to dual wield 2 light repeating crossbows while making a move action as a Dervish (I think thats how it works) with up the walls.

Mainly for comedic effect again.

A. 510

Sure, you can dual wield 2 light crossbows while making a move action. You can do that even if you are not a Dervish.
However, you cannot use (fire) both in the same round, not even as a Dervish.

The Dervish's special ability is restricted to melee weapons.

On another note; you need a hand free to reload a repeating crossbow, so you cannot use two at the same time to shoot more than one shot with each (without dropping one of course).

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-26, 04:29 PM
Q. 509
The 3.0 version of blade barrier can be cast on an horizontal plane, actually becoming a kind of area effect.
1) can I create one at some height from the ground or can I only use it to close a gap in the floor, such as a trapdoor or similar?
2) how is the save interpreted? Do we assume that people making their save managed to duck under it in time? Does it mean that they are prone now if the barrier was low enough? I guess that flying creatures would be able to stay up over it if they make theirs.
Obviously, all of it is needed according to 3.0 rules.

Thank you

A. 509

1) Yes, you simply specify height and distance when you cast it.

2) D&D use squares for most effects, so the most sensible solution would be to allow people making there save to move to the nearest free area where they can stand normally.

Ponce
2007-05-26, 05:23 PM
Q510
Melee weapon mastery: Suppose you selected this through your mastery of a scythe. Combining Weapon Focus (Scythe), Weapon Spec (Scythe), MWM (Slashing) and MWM (Piercing) would give you a total bonus of +5 to attacks and +6 to damage with a scythe? The actual usefulness of this aside, this is how it would work?

Jasdoif
2007-05-26, 05:47 PM
A510 A511

No. You would get +3 on attack rolls, and +4 on damage rolls.

Feats do not stack with themselves, unless the feat's text says otherwise (MWM's does not), so you cannot benefit from MWM (piercing) and MWM (slashing) at the same time.

Also, note that a scythe does slashing or piercing, it does not do both at the same time.

Jimp
2007-05-26, 05:50 PM
Q. 512 (previous one should be 511)
Can multiple castings of Bestow Curse stack if different effects are chosen? For example, taking -6 Str on casting 1 and -4 attack on casting 2.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-26, 05:57 PM
A. 512

No, it would seem that different effects of the same spell does not stack. The last spell suppress the previous spells.

Same Effect with Differing Results: The same spell can sometimes produce varying effects if applied to the same recipient more than once. Usually the last spell in the series trumps the others. None of the previous spells are actually removed or dispelled, but their effects become irrelevant while the final spell in the series lasts.

Jasdoif
2007-05-26, 05:57 PM
A512

I don't see why not. The penalties are applied to different attributes so they aren't in a position where they could stack or overlap.

EDIT: Ack, ninja-ed by the Popcorn Tyrant!

Piggly Wiggly
2007-05-27, 04:19 AM
Q513

Is there a feat that simply increases sneak attack damage? If so what and where?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-27, 04:25 AM
A. 513

Improved Sneak Attack, Epic Level Handbook.

IMPROVED SNEAK ATTACK [EPIC]
Prerequisite: Sneak attack +8d6.

Benefit: Add +1d6 to the character’s sneak attack damage.

Special: This feat may be taken multiple times. Its effects stack.

Piggly Wiggly
2007-05-27, 05:59 AM
Q513 corollary
yikes...so nothing that could help a monk-turned-assassin in a more reasonable time frame?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-27, 06:04 AM
Q513 corollary
yikes...so nothing that could help a monk-turned-assassin in a more reasonable time frame?

I would suggest that you start a new thread for improving your Monk-Assassin.

Piggly Wiggly
2007-05-27, 07:10 AM
Q513 b

Sorry let me qualify. There is no lower level feat for improving sneak attack damage in any way?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-27, 07:43 AM
Q513 b

Sorry let me qualify. There is no lower level feat for improving sneak attack damage in any way?

No, not straight damage dice.
(Not for rogue and monk at least, other classes can stack there levels to determine sneak attack damage)

There are other feats that "improve" your sneak attack through secondary effects (although often by forgoing some damage in exchange for the other effect on the target) or add a minor bonus.
Complete Scoundrel is the best source if you are looking for feats like that, but Complete Warrior, Complete Adventurer and other books have similar feats.

Acco Spoot
2007-05-27, 11:53 AM
Q. 514

Okay long story, I own V3.0 of the PhB, is there any point in me getting V3.5 if most of the information is on the Internet?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-27, 11:58 AM
A. 514

You will find most of the rule changes in the SRD (if not all), but some might still find it handy to have a PHB to look things up in if you don't play next to a computer.

Curmudgeon
2007-05-27, 12:17 PM
Q513 b

A. 513 b

Yes, you can improve your sneak attack damage with non-Epic feats. Craven (in Champions of Ruin) adds 1 point/class level to your sneak attacks. The various Ambush feats (Complete Warrior, Complete Scoundrel, and Drow of the Underdark) let you trade sneak attack damage for something else (such as 1d6 for 1 point/round of wounding damage for Arterial Strike) which might be an improvement, depending on the situation. Claws Of The Beast (Fiendish Codex I) gives extra 1 point of damage per die if you use unarmed or natural attacks. Demonic Sneak Attack (also FC1) and Deadly Precision (Expanded Psionics Handbook) let you reroll some sneak attack damage dice in the hope of getting higher numbers.

Zherog
2007-05-27, 02:01 PM
A 513, more info

There's a feat in the Expanded Psionics Handbook (for some reason) that also appears in the SRD called Deadly Precision. It allows you to reroll 1's on your sneak attack.

DEADLY PRECISION [GENERAL]

You empty your mind of all distracting emotion, becoming an instrument of deadly precision.

Prerequisite: Dex 15, base attack bonus +5.

Benefit: You have deadly accuracy with your sneak attacks. You can reroll any result of 1 on your sneak attack’s extra damage dice. You must keep the result of the reroll, even if it is another 1.

There's also a feat in the book Traps and Treachery from Fantasy Flight Games called Improved Sneak Attack that changes your sneak attack die from a d6 to a d8.

Gah. Note to self: read all the replies. Though at least the Improved Sneak Attack feat is new info.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-27, 02:53 PM
A 514 (further)
The following website has a compiled list of changes from 3.0 to 3.5. (It does include errata—even last year's polymorph errata)

http://www.users.bigpond.com/steven_cooper/dnd/dnd-revised.htm

It will be easier to directly compare and contrast with that.

Re: A 512

I seem to recall something somewhere (thought it might be in the FAQ, but it's not there—maybe an old Sage Advice instead) that established the same spell cannot stack with itself even if it does provide a different effect the second time around. The potential Sage Advice reference applied this to resist energy—casting resist energy to grant cold resistance would override a previous casting that granted fire resistance for example.

Though it's not an official RAW source, I also recall a thread on the board making reference to one curse overriding another.

Now, the closest direct reference I can currently provide at the moment is the following:

Stacking Effects: Spells that provide bonuses or penalties on attack rolls, damage rolls, saving throws, and other attributes usually do not stack with themselves.
This makes no exception for spells that might provide different effects with different castings. That can certainly be read as, "They do not stack at all, even if the bonus or penalty is applied to different attributes."

Fax Celestis
2007-05-27, 03:08 PM
A 514 (further)
The following website has a compiled list of changes from 3.0 to 3.5. (It does include errata—even last year's polymorph errata)

http://www.users.bigpond.com/steven_cooper/dnd/dnd-revised.htm

It will be easier to directly compare and contrast with that.

I seem to recall something somewhere (thought it might be in the FAQ, but it's not there—maybe an old Sage Advice instead) that established the same spell cannot stack with itself even if it does provide a different effect the second time around. The potential Sage Advice reference applied this to resist energy—casting resist energy to grant cold resistance would override a previous casting that granted fire resistance for example.

Though it's not an official RAW source, I also recall a thread on the board making reference to one curse overriding another.

Now, the closest direct reference I can currently provide at the moment is the following:

This makes no exception for spells that might provide different effects with different castings. That can certainly be read as, "They do not stack at all, even if the bonus or penalty is applied to different attributes."

I believe that would fall under, "Same Effect, Differing Results", "effect" in this case meaning "spell":

Same Effect with Differing Results

The same spell can sometimes produce varying effects if applied to the same recipient more than once. Usually the last spell in the series trumps the others. None of the previous spells are actually removed or dispelled, but their effects become irrelevant while the final spell in the series lasts.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-27, 03:11 PM

A better reference to prove your point would be:

Same Effect with Differing Results: The same spell can sometimes produce varying effects if applied to the same recipient more than once. Usually the last spell in the series trumps the others. None of the previous spells are actually removed or dispelled, but their effects become irrelevant while the final spell in the series lasts.

If you apply that to all spells like curse an easy "lift" of a curse is to bestow another curse with a non-detrimental effect.

Gah. Note to self: read all the replies. Though at least the Improved Sneak Attack feat is new info.

Not only that, but you could also be seen as advocating the selection of this very poor feat that should have been named Slightly Increased Precision. :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Morty
2007-05-27, 04:21 PM
Q. 515

What modifier(if any) do I use when making caster level check to cast a spell from scroll above my caster level.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-27, 04:22 PM
A better reference to prove your point would be:
Meh...

Don't be in such a hurry.

Read Further. [/note to self]

In any case... That seems to mean that a second curse would indeed override the first. Right?

A 515

You use the caster level of the item when casting a spell from a magic item.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-27, 04:26 PM
Meh...

Don't be in such a hurry.

Read Further. [/note to self]

In any case... That seems to mean that a second curse would indeed override the first. Right?

Right, making Bestow Curse a great spell for suppressing itself. :smallyuk:

It says "usually" implying that exceptions could exist, but Bestow Curse mentions no such exception.

A 515

You use the caster level of the item when casting a spell from a magic item.

I believe M0rt was interested in the modifiers to a caster level check.
With respect to scroll you have to make one if your CL is lower than the Scroll's CL.

... If she meets all three requirements but her own caster level is lower than the scroll spell’s caster level, then she has to make a caster level check (DC = scroll’s caster level + 1) to cast the spell successfully. If she fails, she must make a DC 5 Wisdom check to avoid a mishap (see Scroll Mishaps, below). A natural roll of 1 always fails, whatever the modifiers.

Q. 515

What modifier(if any) do I use when making caster level check to cast a spell from scroll above my caster level.

A. 515

Caster level checks are 1d20 + your caster level.

A few feats/effects allow you to treat your caster level as higher for certain types of spells, but generally it is your own CL you add to the dice roll.

Jasdoif
2007-05-27, 09:24 PM
Right, making Bestow Curse a great spell for suppressing itself. :smallyuk:

It says "usually" implying that exceptions could exist, but Bestow Curse mentions no such exception.I must question the particular application here.

Same Effect with Differing Results: The same spell can sometimes produce varying effects if applied to the same recipient more than once. Usually the last spell in the series trumps the others. None of the previous spells are actually removed or dispelled, but their effects become irrelevant while the final spell in the series lasts.The use of "irrelevant" instead of "suppressed" is the key here. The additional instances of the spell don't remove the previous ones. "Irrelevant" implies they are inherently meaningless. The example given in the PHB is multiple casts of polymorph, the last one cast is the one whose effect is used, it makes the others irrelevant because they all try to do the same thing (alter the target's form).

A penalty to Strength and a penalty to Wisdom are different effects, even if caused by casts of the same spell; this is not the "same effect with differing results", this is "differing effects".

Aximili
2007-05-28, 12:17 AM
Q: 516

where do I find information on enchanting shirts with armor enhancements? Is it something I missed in the DMG, or is it in another book?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-28, 01:42 AM
I must question the particular application here.

The use of "irrelevant" instead of "suppressed" is the key here. The additional instances of the spell don't remove the previous ones. "Irrelevant" implies they are inherently meaningless. The example given in the PHB is multiple casts of polymorph, the last one cast is the one whose effect is used, it makes the others irrelevant because they all try to do the same thing (alter the target's form).

A penalty to Strength and a penalty to Wisdom are different effects, even if caused by casts of the same spell; this is not the "same effect with differing results", this is "differing effects".

I agree, but I could not find anything supporting it. If sage advice has ruled that way on resistance to energy I think Bestow Curse would be the same.

Since I have not sen an actual reference I have made a mental note of this question.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-28, 01:49 AM
Q: 516

where do I find information on enchanting shirts with armor enhancements? Is it something I missed in the DMG, or is it in another book?

A. 516

I do not think you find it anywhere.
Shirts are not armor and are therefore enchanted as wondrous items. You could make make a Shirt of Armor and enchant it like you would a pair of Bracers of Armor.

If you want other armor enhancements you need to talk to your DM and at least pay the price of a wrongfully slotted item.

Asmodeus
2007-05-28, 07:14 AM
Q. 517

Are warforged subject to the Daze spell?

The spell says it must target a Humanoid. Warforged are Constructs. However, the Living Construct subtype means that they can be targed by spells that affect living creatures. Does that include spells that specify Humanoids?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-28, 07:34 AM
A. 517

No, Warforged are not humanoids and not subject to humanoid specific spells.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-28, 08:31 AM
Since I have not sen an actual reference I have made a mental note of this question.
Yeah. I may just be crazy and remembering something nonexistent... :smallwink:

I'll be sure to pipe in if I find the relevant reference.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-28, 08:53 AM
Yeah. I may just be crazy and remembering something nonexistent... :smallwink:

I'll be sure to pipe in if I find the relevant reference.

Thank you and no offense intended :smalltongue:

I have already forgotten what we are talking about. :smallwink:

RMS Oceanic
2007-05-28, 11:18 AM
Q 518
Can I take an immediate action in response to the DM announcing that somebody is attacking me, or casting a spell that my character can see?

e.g. A variant from Complete Champion allows a Fighter to sacrifice his base Will save bonus for a turn to gain a bonus to his AC, as an immediate action. If the DM says "the orc tries to attack you", can I make this transfer before the DM rolls for attack. Or could I use the other ability to sacrifice BAB for a Will save bonus when my fighter sees someone casting a spell?

Asmodeus
2007-05-28, 11:30 AM
Q 518
Can I take an immediate action in response to the DM announcing that somebody is attacking me, or casting a spell that my character can see?

e.g. A variant from Complete Champion allows a Fighter to sacrifice his base Will save bonus for a turn to gain a bonus to his AC, as an immediate action. If the DM says "the orc tries to attack you", can I make this transfer before the DM rolls for attack. Or could I use the other ability to sacrifice BAB for a Will save bonus when my fighter sees someone casting a spell?

A 518

Yes. An immediate action can happen at anytime, even if its not your turn in the initiative.

Immediate Actions: You can use an immediate action any time, even during another creature's turn. If you use an immediate action during your turn, you cannot use a swift action during your next turn. You cannot use another swift or immediate action until after your next turn.

Link to the article quoted (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050621a)

Alveanerle
2007-05-28, 12:19 PM
Q. 518 cont
Isn't it stated somewhere that immediate actions cannot be taken when flatfooted?

The J Pizzel
2007-05-28, 12:23 PM
Q 519
If a rogue can see in magical darkness and is attacking a foe, who cannot see in magical darkness, will he get his Sneak Attack.

The rules say a rogue gets sneak attack when flanking or when the opponet is DENIED HIS DEX BONUS. Darkness provides concealment, which to my knowledge doen't make one lose thier dex bonus.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-28, 12:28 PM
A. 518 Continued

Yes, in their description.

Immediate Action
Much like a swift action, an immediate action consumes a very small amount of time, but represents a larger expenditure of effort and energy than a free action. However, unlike a swift action, an immediate action can be performed at any time—even if it is not your turn. Using an immediate action on your turn is the same as using a swift action, and counts as your swift action for that turn. You cannot use another immediate action or a swift action until after your next turn if you have used an immediate action when it is not currently your turn (effectively, using an immediate action before your turn is equivalent to using your swift action for the coming turn). You also cannot use an immediate action if you are currently flatfooted.
(My emphasis)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-28, 12:30 PM
A. 519

That is correct. Concealment just means that there is a miss chance.

However, the rogue could attempt to hide and thereby effectively become invisible and also deny the target its dex modifier if successful.
(Using your assumption that the rogue is able to ignore the concealment and starts hiding in full cover or total concealment from the target)

EDIT: I am a Ninja-Beholder. Popcorn on you Jasdoif! :smalltongue:

Jasdoif
2007-05-28, 12:31 PM
A518 cont

That's correct, you cannot take an immediate action when flatfooted.

Here's the SRD on immediate actions.

Immediate Actions

Much like a swift action, an immediate action consumes a very small amount of time, but represents a larger expenditure of effort and energy than a free action. However, unlike a swift action, an immediate action can be performed at any time — even if it's not your turn. Casting feather fall is an immediate action, since the spell can be cast at any time.

Using an immediate action on your turn is the same as using a swift action, and counts as your swift action for that turn. You cannot use another immediate action or a swift action until after your next turn if you have used an immediate action when it is not currently your turn (effectively, using an immediate action before your turn is equivalent to using your swift action for the coming turn). You also cannot use an immediate action if you are flat-footed.

A519

Assuming you're talking about the spell darkness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/darkness.htm), you are correct. Concealment does not deny Dex bonus to AC. Even total concealment does not deny Dex bonus to AC.

EDIT: ...ninja'd, again, by the Popcorn Tyrant. It's ALWAYS the same person...beholder...thing. I wonder if there's some detect popcorn spell I could make use of...

squishycube
2007-05-28, 12:36 PM
Q519 Cont
Silvanos, could you tell me where in the RAW it states that, because I know it does, but I can't find it.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-28, 12:46 PM
Q519 Cont
Silvanos, could you tell me where in the RAW it states that, because I know it does, but I can't find it.

I am not sure exactly what you are looking for, but relevant references include the following:

Concealment Miss Chance: Concealment gives the subject of a successful attack a 20% chance that the attacker missed because of the concealment. If the attacker hits, the defender must make a miss chance percentile roll to avoid being struck. Multiple concealment conditions do not stack.

Concealment and Hide Checks: You can use concealment to make a Hide check. Without concealment, you usually need cover to make a Hide check.

Sneak Attack: If a rogue can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage. The rogue’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target. ....

A rogue cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

You need cover or concealment in order to attempt a Hide check. Total cover or total concealment usually (but not always; see Special, below) obviates the need for a Hide check, since nothing can see you anyway.

If people are observing you, even casually, you can’t hide. You can run around a corner or behind cover so that you’re out of sight and then hide, but the others then know at least where you went. If your observers are momentarily distracted (such as by a Bluff check; see below), though, you can attempt to hide. While the others turn their attention from you, you can attempt a Hide check if you can get to a hiding place of some kind. (As a general guideline, the hiding place has to be within 1 foot per rank you have in Hide.) This check, however, is made at a –10 penalty because you have to move fast.

Invisible: Visually undetectable. An invisible creature gains a +2 bonus on attack rolls against sighted opponents, and ignores its opponents’ Dexterity bonuses to AC (if any). (See Invisibility, under Special Abilities.)

squishycube
2007-05-28, 12:55 PM
Invisible: Visually undetectable. An invisible creature gains a +2 bonus on attack rolls against sighted opponents, and ignores its opponents’ Dexterity bonuses to AC (if any). (See Invisibility, under Special Abilities.)
That was the one, thanks!
I didn't know about the +2 bonus!

Jasdoif
2007-05-28, 01:32 PM
EDIT: I am a Ninja-Beholder. Popcorn on you Jasdoif! :smalltongue:Fine, fine :smalltongue: However....

However, the rogue could attempt to hide and thereby effectively become invisible and also deny the target its dex modifier if successful.I'm curious where this effective invisibility status is coming from. I would think that a success Hide check gives you either total concealment or total cover, neither of which deny Dex to AC as invisibility does (in fact, total cover would prevent an attack entirely).

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-28, 02:09 PM
I'm curious where this effective invisibility status is coming from. I would think that a success Hide check gives you either total concealment or total cover, neither of which deny Dex to AC as invisibility does (in fact, total cover would prevent an attack entirely).

I said effective, because you are "visually undetectable", which is the requirement for being treated as invisible (denying your target its dex and getting +2 to attack).

If you have total concealment you are effectively invisible.

Zherog
2007-05-28, 04:17 PM
A 519, even more info

Remember, too, that if the person you're attacking has the uncanny dodge class feature, you won't be able to use this trick to deliver your sneak attack.

Curmudgeon
2007-05-28, 05:45 PM
There's no such reference in the Sage Advice Online Archive (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/asksage), and I'd be surprised if one existed because of the huge can of worms this would open. For instance, a character benefitting from Resist Energy: resist acid 20 who's wading through an acid pool could have their beneficial acid resistance wiped out by an enemy casting Resist Energy: resist cold 30 on them. But the spell's description includes these lines:
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless) and such an interpretation would make the (harmless) tags a lie. Thus the can of worms.

Unless actually stated by WotC, I have to assume that there's no stacking rule against "Same Spell with Different Effects" (which is distinctly not the same as "Same Effect with Differing Results"). Let's stick with the original A. 512; I've got enough worms, thank you.

NEO|Phyte
2007-05-28, 06:03 PM
There's no such reference in the Sage Advice Online Archive (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/asksage), and I'd be surprised if one existed because of the huge can of worms this would open. For instance, a character benefitting from Resist Energy: resist acid 20 who's wading through an acid pool could have their beneficial acid resistance wiped out by an enemy casting Resist Energy: resist cold 30 on them. But the spell's description includes these lines: and such an interpretation would make the (harmless) tags a lie. Thus the can of worms.

(harmless)

The spell is usually beneficial, not harmful, but a targeted creature can attempt a saving throw if it desires.
Resist Energy is a beneficial spell to recieve in the majority of the cases it is cast, the (harmless) notation is not a lie.

Zherog
2007-05-28, 06:25 PM
For what it's worth, I also vaguely recall the same thing as Shhalahr. I have no idea where it's from though. I remember it because I immediately decided that I would ignore it for my own campaigns, since it's a stupid ruling.

Dhavaer
2007-05-29, 01:01 AM
Q520

When using the Thunder or Lightning abilities of the Rod of Thunder and Lightning (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rods.htm#thunderandLightning), do all attacks in a round gain the effect of the ability, or only the first?

Q521

The Thunderclap ability of the Rod says that it functions just like a shout spell, but then states it does 2d6 damage. Shout does 5d6. Is the ability description a typo, and if so, would this apply to the Thunder and Lightning ability?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-29, 01:25 AM
A. 520

The first, and only the first, attack that hits will benefit.

A. 521

It could be a typo, but the ability could also just be similar to Shout.
Without errata we should assume that the entry is correct.

The J Pizzel
2007-05-29, 08:07 AM
Q 522
If someone teleport/dimension door/transolates/etc. into a threatened square, do they provoke an AoO?

Asmodeus
2007-05-29, 08:07 AM
Q. 523

Suppose we have a situation where a Medium Character is flanked by small creatures. Kobolds for example. Then, this character has Enlarge Person cast on him. He is now Large, and should be taking up the space that one of his flankers was in. Is the character and the attacker sharing that space now, or is the Large Character considered Squeezing? Squeezing says you can squeeze past opponents but can't end a turn in their space. If they share space, is there an Attack of Opportunity from the attackers for entering their space, even though the person didn't really move? What about if the attackers are Medium? Do they get pushed out of the way?

Edit: Got ninja posted, so changed my Question number.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-29, 08:14 AM
Q 522
If someone teleport/dimension door/transolates/etc. into a threatened square, do they provoke an AoO?

A. 522

No, entering a threatened square does not provoke an AoO. (Leaving a threatened square does.)

Asmodeus
2007-05-29, 08:16 AM
Q 522

A 522

No. Attacks of Opportunity are caused by exiting, not entering, a threatened square.

Additionally, teleport is not considered normal movement. It is instantaneous relocation, thus this type of movement does not provoke Attacks of Opportunity. However, casting the spell while inside a threatened square will provoke one.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-29, 08:18 AM
Q. 523

Suppose we have a situation where a Medium Character is flanked by small creatures. Kobolds for example. Then, this character has Enlarge Person cast on him. He is now Large, and should be taking up the space that one of his flankers was in. Is the character and the attacker sharing that space now, or is the Large Character considered Squeezing? Squeezing says you can squeeze past opponents but can't end a turn in their space. If they share space, is there an Attack of Opportunity from the attackers for entering their space, even though the person didn't really move? What about if the attackers are Medium? Do they get pushed out of the way?

Edit: Got ninja posted, so changed my Question number.

A. 523

The description is not clear, but you could treat it as a bull rush attempt or allow the growing creature to squeeze if it prefers that and room is available.

If insufficient room is available for the desired growth, the creature attains the maximum possible size and may make a Strength check (using its increased Strength) to burst any enclosures in the process. If it fails, it is constrained without harm by the materials enclosing it— the spell cannot be used to crush a creature by increasing its size.

Asmodeus
2007-05-29, 08:21 AM
A. 523

The description is not clear, but you could treat it as a bull rush attempt or allow the growing creature to squeeze if it prefers that and room is available.

Thanks, Popcorn tyrant. And curse you for ninja-posting me.

The J Pizzel
2007-05-29, 08:35 AM
Q 522 Cont.
Then why would Mobility grant you a +4 bonus on AoO's for moving "out of or within a threatened square"? So you're saying that if an baddie has a weapon drawn and I move right up to him, he doens't get an AoO?

Asmodeus
2007-05-29, 08:43 AM
Q 522 Cont.
Then why would Mobility grant you a +4 bonus on AoO's for moving "out of or within a threatened square"? So you're saying that if an baddie has a weapon drawn and I move right up to him, he doens't get an AoO?

A 522 Cont.

As long as that weapon does not have Reach, you won't get an AoO for approaching a baddie.

Mobility uses the term 'area' instead of 'square'. The 'within a threatened area' statement refers to moving out of one threatened square and directly into another threatened square. Leaving a threatened square is what actually provokes the AoO.

You get a +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against attacks of opportunity caused when you move out of or within a threatened area.

Provoking an Attack of Opportunity

Two kinds of actions can provoke attacks of opportunity: moving out of a threatened square and performing an action within a threatened square.
Moving

Moving out of a threatened square usually provokes an attack of opportunity from the threatening opponent. There are two common methods of avoiding such an attack—the 5-foot step and the withdraw action.
Performing a Distracting Act

Some actions, when performed in a threatened square, provoke attacks of opportunity as you divert your attention from the battle. Actions in Combat notes many of the actions that provoke attacks of opportunity.

Remember that even actions that normally provoke attacks of opportunity may have exceptions to this rule.

The J Pizzel
2007-05-29, 08:45 AM
What about when you pass by a threatened square? You provoke one then, right?

Sucrose
2007-05-29, 08:46 AM
No, because he doesn't threaten you. If you pass through a threatened square, he gets an AoO as you leave said threatened square, and, if he drops you, you stay in the square that you were attempting to leave.

Asmodeus
2007-05-29, 08:48 AM
What about when you pass by a threatened square? You provoke one then, right?

No. Passing near a threatened square does not provoke an AoO. The only normal movement that provokes an AoO is when you exit a threatened square.

The J Pizzel
2007-05-29, 08:55 AM
Yeay, I've doing some really, really, wrong stuff. Rather than we turn this into a lesson on AoO, could someone point in the direction of AoO rules? I could've sworn if you moved passed anyone who was threatening a square (wether you moved into that square or passed it) you provoked an AoO. Any if a baddie had a weapon drawn, he "threatened" the eight squares adjacent to him. So anyone moving into/out of those eight squares provoked an AoO.

Edit - oh, nevemind, I see you already put the SRD section in your post Asmodeus...thanks.

jp

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-29, 09:22 AM
Yeay, I've doing some really, really, wrong stuff. Rather than we turn this into a lesson on AoO, could someone point in the direction of AoO rules?
A 522
For further explanation, see WotC's Rules of the Game articles:

"Rules of the Game: Attacks of Opportunity (Part One)" (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20041026a)
"Rules of the Game: Attacks of Opportunity (Part Two)" (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20041102a)

Also, do try to keep numbers attached to your post. It helps keep things organized and makes it easier to follow threads of discussion.

The J Pizzel
2007-05-29, 10:01 AM
Q522 Cont.
My apologies. Thanks for all the help. I love learning new things.

jp

Charity
2007-05-29, 06:04 PM
Q 524 OK so I have my PHB II
The Duskblde has Arcane channeling as a third level ability.
Which allows you to channel attacks through attacks etc...
It says however the Duskblade spell list is on P98, and there are only a few (none of them touch attack) new spells mentioned on that page.
Where is the full list of Duskblade spells, this can't be it as the example on the next page has a character whom has spells that are not on the list.
Where is the list?
I know it sounds crazy but I cannot find the darn thing.
Anyone help?

Jasdoif
2007-05-29, 06:09 PM
A524

This one's in the FAQ.

Player’s Handbook II says that the duskblade casts spells from the duskblade spell list. But the example starting package characters have spells known from the general wizard/sorcerer list that are not on the duskblade list. What gives?

It’s easy to miss, but the actual duskblade class spell list is on page 24. The spell list that appears in Chapter 4 includes only new spells presented in Player’s Handbook II (just like all the other spell lists appearing in that chapter).

Charity
2007-05-29, 06:13 PM
Ta very muchly.

ski309
2007-05-30, 12:40 PM
Q 525

Does ability damage dealt by melee attacks as extra damage surpass damage reduction?

kyz
2007-05-30, 12:41 PM
Uh, Q 526

Do Goliaths count as large for determining unarmed damage?

Probably stupid, but I want to make sure.

Asmodeus
2007-05-30, 12:42 PM
Q 525

Does ability damage dealt by melee attacks as extra damage surpass damage reduction?

A 525

Yes. Damage Reduction typically only counts for normal damage dealt by mundane methods.

Ability Damage is typically from a supernatural, spell-like, or extraordinary ability, which don't apply to Damage Reduction.

The creature takes normal damage from energy attacks (even nonmagical ones), spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities.

ski309
2007-05-30, 12:42 PM
Q 527

Does the Succubus' charm monster spell effect end when she dies?

Jasdoif
2007-05-30, 12:53 PM
A526

No.
Does the powerful build racial trait change the damage the character deals with unarmed strikes and natural weapons?

No. The powerful build racial trait allows the character to “use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty” but doesn’t say anything about changing the damage dealt by his unarmed strikes or natural weapons.

A527

No, although charm monster has little effect if the caster can't communicate with the target.

Jasdoif
2007-05-30, 01:26 PM
A525 details correction

A 525Ability Damage is typically from a supernatural, spell-like, or extraordinary ability, which don't apply to Damage Reduction.The SRD says nothing damage reduction not applying to extraordinary abilities. Certain abilities, like a minotaur (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/minotaur.htm)'s powerful charge, are extraordinary and deal damage, but should not be allowed to automatically bypass DR.

The SRD does, however, mention this:
Whenever damage reduction completely negates the damage from an attack, it also negates most special effects that accompany the attack, such as injury type poison, a monk’s stunning, and injury type disease. Damage reduction does not negate touch attacks, energy damage dealt along with an attack, or energy drains. Nor does it affect poisons or diseases delivered by inhalation, ingestion, or contact.Since poisons do ability damage and aren't directly affected by DR, it's safe to say that ability damage in general isn't affected by DR.

EDIT: Perhaps my wording in the previous paragraph is suspect; to rephrase I believe that in general, DR does not directly affect ability damage.

Eomir
2007-05-30, 01:56 PM
Q 528

Can a weapon have flaming, frost and shock abilities at the same time.
For example can I have a long sword that deals 1d8 +1d6 fire +1d6 cold +1d6 electricity?

Fax Celestis
2007-05-30, 01:59 PM
A528 As long as you're willing to (and able to) pay for a +4 weapon, yes.

Eomir
2007-05-30, 02:15 PM
Actually fax I just found out that it wouldn't really work the way i wanted it. heres why.

Flaming: Upon command, a flaming weapon is sheathed in fire. The fire does not harm the wielder. The effect remains until another command is given. A flaming weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of fire damage on a successful hit. Bows, crossbows, and slings so crafted bestow the fire energy upon their ammunition.

Thus, I can command it to be on fire but when i command it to get Icy, the fire effect would end. I guess its not worth the gp.

Thanks anyway guys

ski309
2007-05-30, 02:21 PM
Q 529

My monk character has a level adjustment. The DC for my stunning fist attack is 10+character level + wis modifier. Does my character level for this DC include my level adjustment? (eg. DC=10+(Level 7+3 LA)=20+wis mod)

Douglas
2007-05-30, 02:26 PM
Actually fax I just found out that it wouldn't really work the way i wanted it. heres why.

Flaming: Upon command, a flaming weapon is sheathed in fire. The fire does not harm the wielder. The effect remains until another command is given. A flaming weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of fire damage on a successful hit. Bows, crossbows, and slings so crafted bestow the fire energy upon their ammunition.

Thus, I can command it to be on fire but when i command it to get Icy, the fire effect would end. I guess its not worth the gp.

Thanks anyway guys
According to the FAQ, the "another command" part means a specific other command

There’s nothing illogical about a flaming, frost, shock
weapon (at least not within any framework that allows weapons
to generate energy in the first place), and there’s no rule against
such weapons (think of the weapon as having fiery, frosty,
shocking flames). The character creating such a weapon
decides how it can be activated. Most such weapons probably
are made so that the wielders can activate all three powers
simultaneously, or activate them one at a time, as desired.

Jasdoif
2007-05-30, 02:27 PM
A529

First, the DC for Stunning Fist is 10 + half your character level + your Wisdom modifier.

Second, your actual character level is 7, your ECL is 10. You use half your character level (in this case 3, since fractions round down) in the formula, same as any other creature with Stunning Fist does.

ski309
2007-05-30, 02:35 PM
Sorry, I meant half.

Jasdoif
2007-05-30, 02:43 PM
Q530

Can you ready an action to make a partial charge?

Fax Celestis
2007-05-30, 02:50 PM
A530
The ready action lets you prepare to take an action later, after your turn is over but before your next one has begun. Readying is a standard action. It does not provoke an attack of opportunity (though the action that you ready might do so).
Readying an Action

You can ready a standard action, a move action, or a free action. To do so, specify the action you will take and the conditions under which you will take it. Then, any time before your next action, you may take the readied action in response to that condition. The action occurs just before the action that triggers it. If the triggered action is part of another character’s activities, you interrupt the other character. Assuming he is still capable of doing so, he continues his actions once you complete your readied action. Your initiative result changes. For the rest of the encounter, your initiative result is the count on which you took the readied action, and you act immediately ahead of the character whose action triggered your readied action.

You can take a 5-foot step as part of your readied action, but only if you don’t otherwise move any distance during the round.

Movement During a Charge

You must move before your attack, not after. You must move at least 10 feet (2 squares) and may move up to double your speed directly toward the designated opponent.

You must have a clear path toward the opponent, and nothing can hinder your movement (such as difficult terrain or obstacles). Here’s what it means to have a clear path. First, you must move to the closest space from which you can attack the opponent. (If this space is occupied or otherwise blocked, you can’t charge.) Second, if any line from your starting space to the ending space passes through a square that blocks movement, slows movement, or contains a creature (even an ally), you can’t charge. (Helpless creatures don’t stop a charge.)

If you don’t have line of sight to the opponent at the start of your turn, you can’t charge that opponent.

You can’t take a 5-foot step in the same round as a charge.

If you are able to take only a standard action or a move action on your turn, you can still charge, but you are only allowed to move up to your speed (instead of up to double your speed). You can’t use this option unless you are restricted to taking only a standard action or move action on your turn.

Ironically, if you are unable to take either a move or standard action, you can ready a partial charge. If you can take a move and a standard action, you can't.

Zherog
2007-05-30, 03:22 PM
A525 details correction

The SRD says nothing damage reduction not applying to extraordinary abilities. Certain abilities, like a minotaur (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/minotaur.htm)'s powerful charge, are extraordinary and deal damage, but should not be allowed to automatically bypass DR.

The SRD does, however, mention this:

Whenever damage reduction completely negates the damage from an attack, it also negates most special effects that accompany the attack, such as injury type poison, a monk’s stunning, and injury type disease. Damage reduction does not negate touch attacks, energy damage dealt along with an attack, or energy drains. Nor does it affect poisons or diseases delivered by inhalation, ingestion, or contact.

Since poisons do ability damage and aren't directly affected by DR, it's safe to say that ability damage in general isn't affected by DR.

I agree with the quote you posted being the important one to consider, but I disagree with your conclusion in the final paragraph. I'll use a specific example - the rogue's Crippling Strike class ability:

Crippling Strike (Ex): A rogue with this ability can sneak attack opponents with such precision that her blows weaken and hamper them. An opponent damaged by one of her sneak attacks also takes 2 points of Strength damage. Ability points lost to damage return on their own at the rate of 1 point per day for each damaged ability.

In order to deliver the crippling strike Strength damage, the rogue must deal damage via a sneak attack. Your quote from the SRD says that if the damage is negated, the special effects and abilities are also negated.

Also note that the quote you provided says injury poisons are negated; those also deal ability damage, so that also leads towards proving your conclusion in the final paragraph is incorrect.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-30, 03:31 PM
A. 528

Yes, certainly.

Douglas
2007-05-30, 03:32 PM
Yes, but the DR has to block ALL of the damage in order to prevent secondary effects like Crippling Strike and injury poisons. When that happens, it's blocked because it's a secondary effect of the attack, not because it's ability damage. Whenever even a single point of the main attack's damage gets through, the ability damage is completely unaffected.

Jasdoif
2007-05-30, 03:41 PM
I agree with the quote you posted being the important one to consider, but I disagree with your conclusion in the final paragraph. I'll use a specific example - the rogue's Crippling Strike class ability:

In order to deliver the crippling strike Strength damage, the rogue must deal damage via a sneak attack. Your quote from the SRD says that if the damage is negated, the special effects and abilities are also negated.

Also note that the quote you provided says injury poisons are negated; those also deal ability damage, so that also leads towards proving your conclusion in the final paragraph is incorrect.Those are both cases where it's stated that negating the hit point damage also negates the ability damage. Those are also both cases where the ability damage is negated indirectly by DR.

DR is not directly reducing the amount of ability damage done (otherwise dr 2/-- would negate the Crippling Strike damage at all times). DR is reducing the hit point damage done and that is what can cause the ability damage to not apply.

Perhaps my wording was suspect, but I still believe that in general, DR does not directly affect ability damage.

Zherog
2007-05-30, 03:54 PM
Perhaps my wording was suspect, but I still believe that in general, DR does not directly affect ability damage.

Yes, that I agree with. And that's not how I read your earlier post. *shrug*

Jasdoif
2007-05-30, 04:00 PM
Yes, that I agree with. And that's not how I read your earlier post. *shrug*Fair enough, let me put a footnote on the original post.

EDIT: Perhaps my wording in the previous paragraph is suspect; to rephrase I believe that in general, DR does not directly affect ability damage.How's that?

Zherog
2007-05-30, 04:13 PM
Works for me. :)

ski309
2007-05-30, 04:29 PM
Q 531

Is there a table anywhere that lists the average AC of NPCs/monsters per CR?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-30, 04:52 PM
A 531
No. However, the monster creation guidelines in the Monster Manual recommend that a monster have an AC in the neighborhood of 13 + CR. Naturally, particularly tough-skinned monsters will have higher ACs while physically frail monsters will have lower ACs.

Pink
2007-05-30, 09:01 PM
Q 532

How does Summon Undead spells work? Namely, explain to me what it means by 'No undead creature you summon can have more HD than your caster level +1' Does this mean that you can increase the HD of all undead you summon to your HD+1? Is it limited by the HD advancement of the undead or not? If using a higher spell to summon multiple lesser undead, are they all at HD+1 to the furthest possible extent? I'm sorry, this is alot of questions in one but I don't usually play summoners and this is confusing me a bit.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-30, 09:03 PM
A532 That is a maximum, not a minimum. Undead summoned are not automatically raised to that level; you are just limited to "no more than" that amount of HD in your summons.

Pink
2007-05-30, 09:09 PM
Q 532(Continued)

However, does that mean no advancement can take place? An owlbear skeleton from Summon Undead II is a CR 2, while at Summon Undead V, the highest you get is a CR 5, while a shadow itself is a CR 3. This doesn't seem as thought the spells scales in power well, unless the HD advancement available to the higher summoned creatures can be utilised.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-30, 09:11 PM
A532Cont That HD limit applies to all undead summoned. So at caster level 4 (for a max HD of 5 on the spell) means you'll be able to pull up five 1HD skeletons, three 1HD zombies and a 2HD skeleton, one 5HD undead, or any other combination where the total equals 5 HD.

asqwasqw
2007-05-30, 09:14 PM
Q 533
Can you immediately retry a charm attempt that failed?

Pink
2007-05-30, 09:16 PM
Q 532Cont

Unless you're reading a different version than the one used in Heroes of horror, it's quite clear that Summon Undead I summons 1 undead from that list, Summon Undead II summons 1 from the II list or 2 from the I list, and so on in general. It says nothing about combinations, and it does not say that the HD limit is for the combined total, though i would have to agree that the HD as an altogether limit would seem a reasonable rule when summoning multiple. What it does say is 'No undead creature you summon can have more HD than your caster level +1', it does not say 'you cannot summon more HD of undead than your caster level +1'

HealytheHealslime
2007-05-30, 09:18 PM
Q534:
I seem to recall an NPC class (like commoner, expert, et al) only counting for half its level when calculating CR. Is this true? Also, if its true, what do you do when the NPC class in question has an odd-numbered level (round up/down, keep the fraction)?

Fax Celestis
2007-05-30, 09:20 PM
A532Cont The Summon Undead spells (except Summon Undead I) found in the Spell Compendium read "Effect: One or more summoned creatures, no two of which are more than 30' apart."

Fax Celestis
2007-05-30, 09:23 PM
A534 Nonassociated classes add 1/2 their number (round down) to CR. Associated add at a 1:1 ratio.

Adding Class Levels

If you are advancing a monster by adding player character class levels, decide if the class levels directly improve the monster’s existing capabilities.

When adding class levels to a creature, you should give it typical ability scores appropriate for that class. Most creatures are built using the standard array of ability scores: 11, 11, 11, 10, 10, 10, adjusted by racial modifiers. If you give a creature a PC class use the elite array of ability scores before racial adjustments: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8. Creatures with NPC classes use the nonelite array of: 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8.
Associated Class Levels

Class levels that increase a monster’s existing strengths are known as associated class levels. Each associated class level a monster has increases its CR by 1.

Barbarian, fighter, paladin, and ranger are associated classes for a creature that relies on its fighting ability.

Rogue and ranger are associated classes for a creature that relies on stealth to surprise its foes, or on skill use to give itself an advantage.

A spellcasting class is an associated class for a creature that already has the ability to cast spells as a character of the class in question, since the monster’s levels in the spellcasting class stack with its innate spellcasting ability.
Nonassociated Class Levels

If you add a class level that doesn’t directly play to a creature’s strength the class level is considered nonassociated, and things get a little more complicated. Adding a nonassociated class level to a monster increases its CR by ½ per level until one of its nonassociated class levels equals its original Hit Dice. At that point, each additional level of the same class or a similar one is considered associated and increases the monster’s CR by 1.

Levels in NPC classes are always treated as nonassociated.

Pink
2007-05-30, 09:23 PM
Q 532Cont

Yes, and you will find that afterwards, each spell specifies you have the option of either 1 of the level, OR 2 of the level below, OR 4 of the other levels below, and none of them suggest directly that the combined HD cannot exceed CL+1. Unfortunately none of them directly suggest you can increase the HD of the summoned creatures either, nor do they say if you can, whether it's limited by max HD advancement, which is my real question.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-30, 09:25 PM
A533 There is no reason you would not be able to immediately retry on a charm attempt.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-30, 09:26 PM
A 533 (Charm Question)
Yes.

A 534
That only applies of the creature in question has racial hit dice. It is linked to the rule on Associated Classes. NPC classes are always considered nonassociated, and so only advance CR by 1/2 per level until the number of levels equals the number of racial hit dice.

Normally NPC classes yield a CR of Level-1.

Roland St. Jude
2007-05-30, 09:27 PM
Q&A.532. Okay, please take this to another thread or PM or chat. It's getting to be a bit much for a simple Q&A thread. Thanks.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-30, 09:30 PM
A532Cont The limit provided there is a maximum cap. I'll correct my preceding statement here (I misremembered the spell itself): that is a per-creature limit, not a per-casting.

In direct reference to your question, the statement "No undead creature you summon can have more Hit Dice than your caster level +1" means that you are not allowed to summon creatures with HD equal to your Caster Level +1, nothing more. Summoned undead do not increase in HD to meet that cap; it is merely a limitation to prevent abuse.

Roland St. Jude
2007-05-30, 09:32 PM
Sheriff: The new version of this thread is: Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2674327#post2674327). If there are any unanswered questions, feel free to answer them here.

All new questions should go in the new thread. Thanks!

Jasdoif
2007-06-01, 12:39 PM
I said effective, because you are "visually undetectable", which is the requirement for being treated as invisible (denying your target its dex and getting +2 to attack).

If you have total concealment you are effectively invisible.For future reference, the FAQ agrees with you.

If a rogue has successfully hidden behind some bushes and fires an arrow at a target less than 30 feet away from her, does she deal sneak attack damage?

Yes.

The rules don’t come right out and say this, but a character who has successfully hidden from an opponent is considered invisible for the purpose of rendering that foe flat-footed, and thus deals sneak attack damage.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-06-01, 06:43 PM
For future reference, the FAQ agrees with you.

I had popcorn today! :smallbiggrin:

Winged One
2007-08-02, 04:16 PM
Q534
Can a barbarian/(/)swordsage use maneuvers while raging?

Bassetking
2007-08-02, 05:22 PM
Yes, as a Maneuver is a non-spellcasting attack.