PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a two week old kitten

Vixsor Lumin
2014-07-04, 04:06 AM
My girlfriend and I are taking care of a two week old kitten. The mom isn't around so we are having to feed and stimulate him ourselves. I noticed tonight that his stomach is somewhat bloated and I'm a tad concerned. :smallfrown: Looking online has told me it could be anything from gas to intestinal parasites which doesn't help me much. I've been stimulating him a bit more often than usual and its gone down some, but not as much as I would like to see. We just started taking care of him and I can't remember he was like this when we first got him, so I don't know if this is a new thing or not. One thing I thought of was that I was feeding him too much. Every time he has woken up I've fed him at least a little bit, and my Girlfriend said that was unnecessary. I'm just not sure whats normal or not, or if I need to take him to the vet tomorrow.

TL;DR
Bloated kitty, nervous caretaker. Whats normal for a two week old?

Rain Dragon
2014-07-04, 04:14 AM
According to my family, you probably are feeding him a little bit too much. Apparently it should be a specific amount once every couple of hours.

Do you know a cat person expert you can talk to about how much you should feed him? Sorry, I don't breed cat so I do not know.

Vixsor Lumin
2014-07-04, 04:22 AM
the only one I know is the actual person who is fostering him, but she is on vacation out of cell range. I'm hoping he is just overfed, since he isn't acting like hes in pain or anything. Thanks for the reply :smallsmile:

noparlpf
2014-07-04, 08:21 AM
Call your local veterinarian and make an appointment. It's impossible to diagnose over a forum, even if we were allowed to give medical advice.

Slipperychicken
2014-07-04, 12:36 PM
I came into this thread expecting kitty photos. I am disappoint.

Karoht
2014-07-05, 02:00 PM
I came into this thread expecting kitty photos. I am disappoint.
"I find the lack of kitty photo's disturbing."
Seconding the motion to at least call a vet, booking appointment is better.

Vixsor Lumin
2014-07-05, 03:06 PM
Called my vet friend, and it turns out that's just a thing that happens with him. It went down on its own and everything is fine :smallsmile: I'm posting from my phone, otherwise I would post a photo of him. I promise to try and get one up tonight

Talanic
2014-07-06, 09:54 AM
Okay. First, welcome to the world; we have sunbeams!

Second, you're going to be surrounded by oafs. Most of them have two legs; these are humans. If they have fewer than two legs, it's because their previous kitty wasn't careful with his sharp bits and has decreased the efficiency with which they provide food and petting, so learn to control those claws quickly. If they have more than two legs but fewer than five, there's a good chance that that particular oaf is a dog. It's beneath you, so only pay attention to it overtly if it's entertaining - but if you spy on it you may be able to steal its bed, or use the dog itself to figure out the warmest spots in the house. Also it may be served high quality kibble; sample at will.

Oafs can be trained through careful application of sharp bits and purring, as appropriate. You've currently hit peak adorableness, so leverage it appropriately and the world will be your squeaky mouse. Congratulations, and good luck!

noparlpf
2014-07-06, 01:35 PM
Dear Kitten. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4Sn91t1V4g&feature=kp)

Archonic Energy
2014-07-07, 04:49 AM
I'm pretty sure that it won't listen to any advice you give it.