PDA

View Full Version : Thicket of Blades... again!

Max Caysey
2014-07-04, 04:44 AM
Hi...

In relation to the thred about tripping in generel, I was wondering is we could do some baseline calculation of how many AoO one can get from being in this stance. I know I have asked this before, but since is been a long time, and necromancy is a no go, I wanted to start another thread on the matter.

Basically what I'm interested in, is knowing under certain circumstances gives you how many AoO asuming Spiked chain or some other trip related weapon.

Ill start with some basic.

1) Does Thicked of Blades give an AoO when someone enters a square your threaten?

2) When someone is charging you, and you have Thickets activated, Hold the Line and Steaddfast Boots how many AoO do you get?

1 for Hold the Line,
1 for being ready set (against charge),
1 for Thicket
(and 1 for leaving the outher most square of your threatened area)

3) Getting up from prone provoces an AoO normally. Does Thicket give another for a total of 2, when someone stands from prone?

4) Can Stand Still be used to keep someone from getting up from prone?

5) When someone craws while prone do you get
1 for the standart crawlign
1 for Thicket
1 for leaving a threatened square?

I hope you guys will help me clear this up.

Thanks

HammeredWharf
2014-07-04, 05:25 AM
Rule 1: A circumstance only provokes once. So, if an opponent leaves a square you treaten while you have Thicket of Blades on, it provokes one AoO.

1) No.

Your foes provoke this attack before leaving the area you threaten.
2) You get three AoOs if the opponent goes through a square you threaten, two if it doesn't. Also see rule 1.
3) No. See rule 1.
4) No.

When a foe's movement out of a square you threaten grants you an attack of opportunity
5) No, you get two AoOs. One from crawling and one from leaving a threatened square. See rule 1.

Max Caysey
2014-07-04, 08:30 AM
Im pretty sure, that if have Karmic Strike and Robilar's Gambit, and someone strikes you, you get two AoOs. What I mean to say here is, that even though I understand rule 1, there are exeptions. The way I read Thicket is not: "it adds 5ft step, to the list of movement that provokes AoO" but that it gives an AoO whenever someone moves inside your threatened area. Meaning that it does not overlap the normal rules but stacks with the normal rules. Meaning that someone taking a 5ft step inside your threatenes area, while under the effect of Thicket gives 1 AoO, becouse it normally does not give on. Were it to normally, (without thicket) give an AoO it would now give 2. Lets say someone moved 10 ft. within the threatened area you would get 2. One for leaving a threatened area and one for thickets.

Crawling, while prone, normally give an AoO, so too does leaving a threatened area. That the normal two (without thickets) Adding thickets to the equation should add another AoO.

Im not stating this as facts... Im saying that thats how I so far have understood the Thickets of Blades stance. I would like to hear some more thought on this.

Thanks everyone

HammeredWharf
2014-07-04, 09:55 AM
Im pretty sure, that if have Karmic Strike and Robilar's Gambit, and someone strikes you, you get two AoOs.

That's because KS gives you an AoO when you get hit and RG gives it when someone swings at you. Two different triggers. On the other hand, Thicket's AoOs overlap with the ones you get from normal movement.

Elkad
2014-07-04, 10:14 AM
Leaving a threatened square provokes as movement.
A 5' step is the exception.
Thicket is the exception to the exception.

It's still movement, and movement will only provoke once per round.

Max Caysey
2014-07-04, 04:21 PM
Leaving a threatened square provokes as movement.
A 5' step is the exception.
Thicket is the exception to the exception.

It's still movement, and movement will only provoke once per round.

So you're saying that it overlaps... and not stacks. Is there any sources besides the stance itself which you refer to here`?