PDA

View Full Version : polymorph protection

CryptbornAkryea
2014-07-04, 05:27 AM
How could one gain constant immunity to polymorph effects within 26,000 gold?

Hell, IS there any way?

Psyren
2014-07-04, 05:43 AM
I don't know about 3.5 - but in Pathfinder, if you are polymorphed, you can choose whether or not to allow any further polymorph effects to affect you.

"You can only be affected by one polymorph spell at a time. If a new polymorph spell is cast on you (or you activate a polymorph effect, such as wild shape), you can decide whether or not to allow it to affect you, taking the place of the old spell."

Alex12
2014-07-04, 05:54 AM
Per RAW, Tibbits are pretty good at handling shapechanging effects. As long as they're able to take standard actions, they can transform into cat-form. The ability doesn't specify they must be in base form. If they don't return to their humanoid base form, they're okay.

ChocoSuisse
2014-07-04, 07:27 AM
Bead of Newt Prevention (1000GP, slotless, Pathfinder Ultimate Equipment) negates a hostile polymorph effect for which you failed a save roll, then is destroyed.

SimonMoon6
2014-07-04, 01:50 PM
Can you find a way to change your creature type?

Becoming a construct or undead will protect you against everything but polymorph any object.

Oozes and plants are immune to polymorph.

Jeff the Green
2014-07-04, 02:10 PM
Per RAW, Tibbits are pretty good at handling shapechanging effects. As long as they're able to take standard actions, they can transform into cat-form. The ability doesn't specify they must be in base form. If they don't return to their humanoid base form, they're okay.

That's true of all shapeshifters, at least for baleful polymorph, which is the only one I'd be particularly worried about.

Alex12
2014-07-04, 02:51 PM
That's true of all shapeshifters, at least for baleful polymorph, which is the only one I'd be particularly worried about.

I honestly couldn't be bothered to check if my recollection of the rules was accurate for the other playable shapechanger races. I just knew it worked for Tibbits.

Jack_Simth
2014-07-04, 03:20 PM
The Amulet of Inviolate Form, Lords of Madness, can absorb 7 such effects before it becomes worthless, and markets at 11k. Downside: You need to choose whether or not to use the charge before making the saving throw.

CryptbornAkryea
2014-07-04, 04:43 PM
Funny enough, my kobold character did recently WISH for the living construct type, heh.

I noticed the spell 'Strength of the True Form'. That could be a fun twist.

See, dm allowed me several Wishes. Now, every time I use the bamf effect of the chakra bound Blink Shirt I polymorph, a la Ben 10.

Rubik
2014-07-04, 06:45 PM
That's true of all shapeshifters, at least for baleful polymorph, which is the only one I'd be particularly worried about.Yes, any creature in 3.5 with the [shapechanger] subtype can spend a standard action to revert.

There are rituals in Savage Species that grant types and subtypes, and a casting of Polymorph or Metamorphosis can grant subtypes as well (though further castings will negate that, so...). Wish can also give you a subtype, via the same book, I believe.

You know, a shapechanger Polymorphed into another creature should lose its subtype, making that rule completely pointless unless it's Polymorphed into something that also has the [shapechanger] subtype.

Hmm. Would this be a dysfunctional rule?

TypoNinja
2014-07-04, 06:53 PM
Yes, any creature in 3.5 with the [shapechanger] subtype can spend a standard action to revert.

There are rituals in Savage Species that grant types and subtypes, and a casting of Polymorph or Metamorphosis can grant subtypes as well (though further castings will negate that, so...). Wish can also give you a subtype, via the same book, I believe.

You know, a shapechanger Polymorphed into another creature should lose its subtype, making that rule completely pointless unless it's Polymorphed into something that also has the [shapechanger] subtype.

Hmm. Would this be a dysfunctional rule?

Naa, right at the end of Polymorph it calls out that Shape Changers can still revert. They actually thought of that one.

Rubik
2014-07-04, 07:13 PM
Naa, right at the end of Polymorph it calls out that Shape Changers can still revert. They actually thought of that one.Problem is that your subtypes change to match what Polymorph turns you into, so anyone with the [shapechanger] subtype loses it when they're Polymorphed. So unless someone is turned into, say, a changeling, they can't make use of that proviso.

TypoNinja
2014-07-04, 08:04 PM
Problem is that your subtypes change to match what Polymorph turns you into, so anyone with the [shapechanger] subtype loses it when they're Polymorphed. So unless someone is turned into, say, a changeling, they can't make use of that proviso.

Baleful polymorph's exception is slightly more wordy, and I think shows even more clearly that things with the natural ability to shapeshift can cancel polymorph effects naturally, regardless of what the spell was supposed to do.

Incorporeal or gaseous creatures are immune to baleful polymorph, and a creature with the shapechanger subtype (such as a lycanthrope or a doppelganger) can revert to its natural form as a standard action (which ends the spell’s effect).

The bits in brackets are the only words that differ from polymorph's text.

Troacctid
2014-07-04, 09:35 PM
There is a feat that can sort of do it: Bind Vestige. If you bind Haagenti, you don't become outright immune to transformation, but you gain the ability to return to your original form at the start of your next turn as a free action. The downside is it affects your appearance (and potentially your personality)...although increasing your weight by 50% might be considered upside if you can polymorph into something big and heavy and use your Blink Shirt to teleport above your enemy's head to deal them falling damage.

Chadamantium
2014-07-05, 01:30 PM
What about the Proof Against Transmutation armour enhancement from Compete Arcane. It's a +5 but I think it's along the lines of what you're looking for.

CryptbornAkryea
2014-07-06, 07:33 AM
I think I'm going to have to go with 'Strength of the True Form' enchanted into an amulet. First thing I polymorphed into was a bunny, still with my subtypes oddly. The idea of keeping my physical stats as a little fluffy bunny? Awesome.

I can honestly say our DM didn't see this coming.